Multiplat AFL 23 - Part 2 with added Pro Team

Remove this Banner Ad

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think it all comes from a better base being Don Bradman Cricket 14, which probably had 4 years of development. AFL 23 has a really bad base with little development time presumably. Would have been better had they just continued on with Live 2011, but may have been impractical.

A lot of the great base of Bradman 14 got thrown out for Bradman 17 though (who even Ross admits was a big step back).

Ross said there was basically none in the first week which is obviously a blatant lie
Anything Ross the Toss said/says is a blatant lie.

For a team who stated that they are avid AFL fans and want to have a great game to play that represents the code well, they sure have a funny way of showing it. No communicato!

I think the most staggering thing is if you had of told me after Live 2 that Wicked Witch would end up creating a more superior game to big ant I wouldn't have believed you.

Honestly, outside of graphics, Evo 2 is a far superior and more importantly enjoyable game to 23.

I honestly think we have reached the death of AFL games.
I can't see another game ever being released.

On SM-S901E using BigFooty.com mobile app

I think the most staggering thing is if you had of told me after Live 2 that Wicked Witch would end up creating a more superior game to big ant I wouldn't have believed you.

Honestly, outside of graphics, Evo 2 is a far superior and more importantly enjoyable game to 23.

Yeah, there will always be another but might be another 10 years now.

I'm not too sure on this really. I think we will get another Aussie Rules game. Just maybe not trying to emulate a Big Budget Release.

There's surely someone out there who would want to make an Aussie Rules game and I know the AFL are probably going to continue being interested in wanting to bring a Video Game out. I mean, If they haven't stopped now due to how small the market is. They probably aren't going to stop now...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm not too sure on this really. I think we will get another Aussie Rules game. Just maybe not trying to emulate a Big Budget Release.

There's surely someone out there who would want to make an Aussie Rules game and I know the AFL are probably going to continue being interested in wanting to bring a Video Game out. I mean, If they haven't stopped now due to how small the market is. They probably aren't going to stop now...

Agreed. I definitely think weā€™ll see another AFL game its more a matter of when it will happen. Gaming is also way bigger now in general than its ever been, and I think if the AFL had an E-League similar to how 2K have theirs, then it would ignite a lot more interest in an AFL game. Problem is none of them so far have been good enough except maybe Evo 2 but visually that needs a fair upgrade.

There is Footy Showdown, a NES style footy game in development. For a 3D game, you'd need people who can CG model, animate, rig, etc then be able to program in C++ or something.

There is Footy Showdown, a NES style footy game in development. For a 3D game, you'd need people who can CG model, animate, rig, etc then be able to program in C++ or something.
Yep, this is probably our best chance at getting a good game that plays like modern footy.
The sport is obviously too complex to replicate at a FIFA kind of level.
If weā€™re to get a good AFL game, developers need to go down the path of NES style footy imo

Edit: We also need a developer whoā€™s willing to communicate with the AFL gaming community and really build the game we all want
No point having another shit show like BigAnt where they like to think for everyone else and only their opinions are the right ones.

Completely different game but XDefiant is a good example of this

Last edited:
Big Ant will obviously keep releasing AFL games, they've done the base work now and the profit machine begins. Effectively release a small patch every 2 years and charge full price for it.

Different to a good AFL game....but AFL games aren't going to dry up.

Yep, this is probably our best chance at getting a good game that plays like modern footy.
The sport is obviously too complex to replicate at a FIFA kind of level.
If weā€™re to get a good AFL game, developers need to go down the path of NES style footy imo

Edit: We also need a developer whoā€™s willing to communicate with the AFL gaming community and really build the game we all want
No point having another s**t show like BigAnt where they like to think for everyone else and only their opinions are the right ones.

Completely different game but XDefiant is a good example of this
For a 3D game, I think low poly models would work if you rotoscoped the animations to give it weight for a proper simulation footy game.

Big Ant will obviously keep releasing AFL games, they've done the base work now and the profit machine begins. Effectively release a small patch every 2 years and charge full price for it.

Different to a good AFL game....but AFL games aren't going to dry up.
This will be based on whether the AFL allow Bigant to continue. The horror show this game was/is was plastered across social media and the returns v sales will show the AFL if this has been successful or not to allow them to continue to create the game.

AFL is a hard game to replicate but it has been done before.

I wouldn't actually mind a Kevin Sheedy's AFL Coach type management game to be developed. The draft at the beginning was the best where you had a selection of top players to choose from G-Train, Aaron Hammill for example. It was a decent coaching game.

I got quite a lot of fun out of AFL 98 even though it was kinda janky by modernish standards and crashed to desktop quite regularly playing on Windows XP in old Windows compatibility mode. Never got it to work on anything past Win XP though.

I thought EA's attempt in the late 90's was pretty solid.
I know they had some tactical mechanic where you could place your players in the middle where you wanted, unlike most others. I don't know why no AFL game has no formation customization, or commands for the players, ie man-up, zone.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Multiplat AFL 23 - Part 2 with added Pro Team

Remove this Banner Ad

Back