Multiplat AFL 23 - Part 2 with added Pro Team

Remove this Banner Ad

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah and I'm sure the guys working at BigAnt are on a tremendous wage lol. Christ, it's as if these guys can't simply do anything else.
Ever thought stability is important to some?

Also other employment may require going back to school which would require having at least spare 60k in the bank to stay afloat for 12 monthsof you have a home loan.

The you also have people with a wife and kids... Can't just up and leave without securing something stable.

On VOG-L09 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Thats all she wrote gang! Clearly the big fella thinks the game is playable, enjoyable and profitable enough to put down & leave their customers in the dark until next year surely not many think it still couldnt use another 5 patches.
Gave Ross the benefit of the doubt when the pressure was on at release... Now I'm thinking he can just get stuffed

Never seen someone pumping their own tyres only to deliver sfa.

Is there really any point them releasing a patch for a game during the off season when hardly anyone is playing it ?

I imagine theyā€™ll continue to work on it in the background and release a big patch for the 2024 season
Well yeah.... Finish the ****ing game that people paid for. I returned my copt but I'm sure others are still hoping for the gameplay to be fixed... And how hard would sliders have been?

Is there really any point them releasing a patch for a game during the off season when hardly anyone is playing it ?

I imagine theyā€™ll continue to work on it in the background and release a big patch for the 2024 season

Think of it like this, if Insomniac had released Spider-Man 2 but the in-game swinging was broken, meaning your player cant actively move around in game, would you want this patched later on or immediately? This is essentially the case with AFL 23ā€™s player turning/movement/control issues except BA left it broken and decided Cricket 24 was a better investment because it makes more money worldwide. Get it yet?

Ever thought stability is important to some?

Also other employment may require going back to school which would require having at least spare 60k in the bank to stay afloat for 12 monthsof you have a home loan.

The you also have people with a wife and kids... Can't just up and leave without securing something stable.

That settles it. Nobody can ever find a new job after being made redundant. Cheers šŸ¤£

Think of it like this, if Insomniac had released Spider-Man 2 but the in-game swinging was broken, meaning your player cant actively move around in game, would you want this patched later on or immediately? This is essentially the case with AFL 23ā€™s player turning/movement/control issues except BA left it broken and decided Cricket 24 was a better investment because it makes more money worldwide. Get it yet?
Itā€™s currently Cricket season and the World Cup is happening atm so obviously it makes sense for them to focus their time and resources on the cricket game.

As much as Iā€™d like to see a patch for AFL right now, it doesnā€™t make any sense for a small studio with limited resources.

That doesnā€™t mean they arenā€™t working on it, JNT has said thereā€™s been improvements made since the last patch, but when testing is clearly a problem for them, why rush a patch out for the 20 or so people who are playing atm

Itā€™s currently Cricket season and the World Cup is happening atm so obviously it makes sense for them to focus their time and resources on the cricket game.

As much as Iā€™d like to see a patch for AFL right now, it doesnā€™t make any sense for a small studio with limited resources.

That doesnā€™t mean they arenā€™t working on it, JNT has said thereā€™s been improvements made since the last patch, but when testing is clearly a problem for them, why rush a patch out for the 20 or so people who are playing atm

Game released broken in May. Issues have existed since May. Shouldnt really matter what time of year it is for a sport, if you release your game broken and shit, fix it. We paid money for false advertisement. Its the principle.

Well yeah.... Finish the ******* game that people paid for. I returned my copt but I'm sure others are still hoping for the gameplay to be fixed... And how hard would sliders have been?

I don't think sliders would have fixed the fundamental movement issues. Live 2 I thought was a horrific change of pace, 10 years ago, at least they got the movement and user commands right.

Game released broken in May. Issues have existed since May. Shouldnt really matter what time of year it is for a sport, if you release your game broken and s**t, fix it. We paid money for false advertisement. Its the principle.
Apparently the limitless 80 metre torp goal exploit is still in it, they never patched that. I think the producer's excuse was it was just bad sportsmanship for people to take advantage of all the exploits, lol.

Thats all she wrote gang! Clearly the big fella thinks the game is playable, enjoyable and profitable enough to put down & leave their customers in the dark until next year šŸ¤£šŸ¤£ surely not many think it still couldnt use another 5 patches.
When are 2024 team lists finalized?
Draft is Nov 20 or 21 I think...just a few weeks away.... is there much else after that?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The art team doesnā€™t work on the actual coding behind the gameplay, with or without the photogrammetry, the gameplay would be the same
The budget went into hiring unnecessary staff in an attempt to do up the presentation, ie people working with photogrammetry and photography. Obviously going out to stadiums, taking photos and taking photos of the players wastes a lot of the budget, and it does nothing to improve the gameplay.

No one on Facebook was praising the presentation anyway, they were still making fun of it, so there's zero point attempting to do 'photo realism'.

They should have just hired artists to do the 3D modeling, rigging, animation and UI, etc, nothing more. The game definitely would have been better had they allocated that budget into hiring more programmers and had they used a premium game engine instead of making the programmers develop one which takes the labour away from developing the gameplay.

Last edited:
The budget went into hiring unnecessary staff in an attempt to do up the presentation, ie people working with photogrammetry and photography. Obviously going out to stadiums, taking photos and taking photos of the players wastes a lot of the budget, and it does nothing to improve the gameplay.

No one on Facebook was praising the presentation anyway, they were still making fun of it, so there's zero point attempting to do 'photo realism'.

They should have just hired artists to do the 3D modeling, rigging, animation and UI, etc, nothing more. The game definitely would have been better had they allocated that budget into hiring more programmers and had they used a premium game engine instead of making the programmers develop one which takes the labour away from developing the gameplay.
If they donā€™t scan the players they have to make each one by hand, whose to say that wouldnā€™t take longer ?

WW only scanned a certain number of players and made others by hand and it didnā€™t help their gameplay any

If they donā€™t scan the players they have to make each one by hand, whose to say that wouldnā€™t take longer ?

WW only scanned a certain number of players and made others by hand and it didnā€™t help their gameplay any
Still better than LOL23.
At least WW got their game playing similar to modern footy.
Feel like Iā€™m back in 2004 when Essendon last won a final playing LOL23

Photogrammetry is far more work, because you got to get everything just right with 360 degree photo references, and you have to hire more staff. No way sculpting without photogrammetry would take more time, especially since they could have relied on the community to do the work with the community hub.
Yeah, it didn't help their gameplay, never said otherwise, and I'm not sure why they bothered either, especially with their lower budget.

Thats all she wrote gang! Clearly the big fella thinks the game is playable, enjoyable and profitable enough to put down & leave their customers in the dark until next year šŸ¤£šŸ¤£ surely not many think it still couldnt use another 5 patches.
Whatā€™s hilarious about the comment is, it just debunks another of the statements the company has made about AFL23. ā€œThis game will have equal representation of male and femaleā€ Yet Ross has completely forgotten about updating the AFLW team lists for 2023.

Last edited:

So all of a sudden, they donā€™t find AFLW that important then? Still waiting for the 2023 womenā€™s lists!

Like i was saying, y'know, just some tweaking of the gameplay and you've got something fairly decent. I don't understand why they haven't pushed for that to happen earlier, get a good tyre balance and service on the gameplay and at least the game can be left alone a while with no squabbling in the background, or something like that. I mean it's only a few things. The tackles occur too quickly and you can't break them, fix that, tweak the bubble that surrounds the contest where players feel locked in the play, just give it a good quality test and balance, even if they just outsource that aspect.

For the next version of the game, i'd look at fixing up the contests, i mean you're probably better off allowing at least 2-3 players to scrimmage at the ball and make it look sort of natural. That's all they really need, if there is one thing WW got right it's the randomness of the contest actually looked pretty solid, so just improve the gameplay and certain contest mechanics. Try and make player movement look a bit more natural. Don't have to re-invent the wheel or anything like that, even this can be simple upgrade improvements.

Like i was saying, y'know, just some tweaking of the gameplay and you've got something fairly decent. I don't understand why they haven't pushed for that to happen earlier, get a good tyre balance and service on the gameplay and at least the game can be left alone a while with no squabbling in the background, or something like that. I mean it's only a few things. The tackles occur too quickly and you can't break them, fix that, tweak the bubble that surrounds the contest where players feel locked in the play, just give it a good quality test and balance, even if they just outsource that aspect.
I'll never understand how they released it with broken movement and to this day still haven't fixed it, and yet WW had the low budget Live 2 at least functioning with the user commands and player movement from day 1. It's also a stark contrast fighting the broken commands and broken movement with 23, compared to Evo 2 when it's very easy to get the movement you want.
For the next version of the game, i'd look at fixing up the contests, i mean you're probably better off allowing at least 2-3 players to scrimmage at the ball and make it look sort of natural. That's all they really need, if there is one thing WW got right it's the randomness of the contest actually looked pretty solid, so just improve the gameplay and certain contest mechanics. Try and make player movement look a bit more natural. Don't have to re-invent the wheel or anything like that, even this can be simple upgrade improvements.
The tackling from their Rugby League games really should have been in 23, I don't think they really cared about 23, they just rushed it out. If a sequel happens, they'd have to really upgrade the contested marking and tackling, rather than forcing players to glue to each other in a marking contest. Also, custom formations should have been a requirement, they're in more other sport games.

It's all because they went down the fully played out animation path. So if a tackle animation starts, it has to finish all the way, even if a player is 0.1 seconds from kicking the ball, the tackle has them wrapped up with the ball back in their hands. It looks awful.

Not to mention the motion capture they did was super average. They posted a few videos of the guys doing it and you could see there was no passion involved. A tackle was the most vanilla thing I've ever seen, the guy being tackled just falling to the ground like "oh you got me, I'll fall over now"

Also how hard is it to release a statement saying the next patch will be coming for the upcoming 2024 season and they'll be working hard over the next 5 months to improve the game and start over fresh for the upcoming season? Like give me a job and I'll give out daily updates, keep the fanbase (if there's any left at this stage) happy!

Remove this Banner Ad

Multiplat AFL 23 - Part 2 with added Pro Team

Remove this Banner Ad

Back