Multiplat AFL 23 - Part 2 with added Pro Team

Remove this Banner Ad

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If you want an AFL game fix, just get Evo 2 from a certain place on the internet and change the sliders. The response time is lightyears ahead of 23 where nothing responds right. I just wish they added in custom formations for Evo 2 and better contested play.
Yeah but the thing is, for everything Evo 2 does better than 23, thereā€™s also a bunch of other things that 23 does better than Evo 2.

23 is no more or less clunky than previous AFL games, itā€™s just clunky in different areas.

Yeah but the thing is, for everything Evo 2 does better than 23, thereā€™s also a bunch of other things that 23 does better than Evo 2.

23 is no more or less clunky than previous AFL games, itā€™s just clunky in different areas.
It doesn't respond to basic commands, which is a bare requirement for games, which even all The Wicked Witch games did right at the very least. Again, the contrast between the 2 is striking, everything responds immediately in Evo 2, whereas 23 sometimes does not respond at all to an analog stick command and you'll have to fight the controls to get the players to move anywhere.

Unless you're on a console port that somehow is totally different to The PC version, maybe the console version has better response time? The PC version is completely broken.

Also, the contested marking play is just 2 players glued together in marking contests in 23 without it being optional or even a way to move when jostling for position, which is terrible gameplay. That's not how it works in the real sport, they have an option to wrestle with an opponent, yes, but they can move around at the same time, they're not forced glued to an opponent.

The only thing I thought was a good innovation was kicking or hand balling out from tackles (although, hand balling off is too short and doesn't work properly), but they didn't take it further than that, when they should have. And maybe the gameplay of the 1 2 hand ball pass off coming from behind, but that's really it.

It doesn't respond to basic commands, which is a bare requirement for games, which even all The Wicked Witch games did right at the very least. Again, the contrast between the 2 is striking, everything responds immediately in Evo 2, whereas 23 sometimes does not respond at all to an analog stick command and you'll have to fight the controls to get the players to move anywhere.

Unless you're on a console port that somehow is totally different to The PC version, maybe the console version has better response time? The PC version is completely broken.

Also, the contested marking play is just 2 players glued together in marking contests in 23 without it being optional or even a way to move when jostling for position, which is terrible gameplay. That's not how it works in the real sport, they have an option to wrestle with an opponent, yes, but they can move around at the same time, they're not forced glued to an opponent.

The only thing I thought was a good innovation was kicking or hand balling out from tackles (although, hand balling off is too short and doesn't work properly), but they didn't take it further than that, when they should have. And maybe the gameplay of the 1 2 hand ball pass off coming from behind, but that's really it.
The ā€˜stuck in the mudā€™ issue that causes the players to stutter when first receiving the ball is annoying and will hopefully be fixed but outside of that, I donā€™t have any of the movement issues you talk about.

The kicking, handballing, set shots, ruck contests, speckies and animations are all better in 23 than Evo 2 (and yes, Evo 2 does other things better than 23).

Am I reading that update right? They announced the game wouldnā€™t release in 2023 a week into 2024
They really did that huh...

Man, Honestly... I'm just waiting for the AFL and the rest of the licenses Big Ant/Nacon have to pull the pin on them like NASCAR, IndyCar and the BTCC did to Motorsport Games.

Even if I'm the AFL who might be in a position where I might not get anyone else to make a Video Game for the sport, I'd still pull the license. This farce is embarrassing the league and making them look bad.

No communication, No testing, No direction.

Can't wait for the announcement that Rugby 24 has been delayed yet again 2 weeks after it was meant to be released and that we're getting a roster update to AFL 23 in October...

The ā€˜stuck in the mudā€™ issue that causes the players to stutter when first receiving the ball is annoying and will hopefully be fixed but outside of that, I donā€™t have any of the movement issues you talk about.

The kicking, handballing, set shots, ruck contests, speckies and animations are all better in 23 than Evo 2 (and yes, Evo 2 does other things better than 23).
I've shelved AFL23 for a bit over the summer so I can go in fresh when the new season kicks in, but yeah that stuck in the mud and janky movement is still present and is one of my primary concerns with the game. If they can fix that, which I'm concerned with current resources would probably be too much work, the game would be much better off leading into the 2024 patch we're supposed to be getting. I still think they need to add more depth to the manager mode (ability to change clubs, injuries, suspensions, training etc.) but I assume their primary focus is going to be updated kits, fixtures, players and then Pro Team (?)

I've shelved AFL23 for a bit over the summer so I can go in fresh when the new season kicks in, but yeah that stuck in the mud and janky movement is still present and is one of my primary concerns with the game. If they can fix that, which I'm concerned with current resources would probably be too much work, the game would be much better off leading into the 2024 patch we're supposed to be getting. I still think they need to add more depth to the manager mode (ability to change clubs, injuries, suspensions, training etc.) but I assume their primary focus is going to be updated kits, fixtures, players and then Pro Team (?)
This. Management mode can not be overlooked if theyā€™re going to continue to support this game for this upcoming season.
Hopefully they can make the gameplay somewhat chaotic life in real life too without actually breaking the game

Itā€™ll be fascinating to see whether pro team happens this season, I feel itā€™s been quietly cancelled but you never know.

I can't turn instantly like I can in Evo 2, and sometimes it won't respond at all. It's really noticeable when I played the 2 games one after another, Evo 2 was incredibly easy and responsive when handling the players, whereas with 23 it was like trying to push a large truck through wet mud. 23 may have the worst user command responsiveness in any game, and in Aussie Rules that makes it unplayable, since the sport requires instantaneous reactions.

Last edited:
I don't get their direction, especially with Cricket 24 of totally neglecting the gameplay in favour of photogrammetry of players.

I can't turn instantly like I can in Evo 2, and sometimes it won't respond at all. It's really noticeable when I played the 2 games one after another, Evo 2 was incredibly easy and responsive when handling the players, whereas with 23 it was like trying to push a large truck through wet mud. 23 may have the worst user command responsiveness in any game, and in Aussie Rules that makes it unplayable, since the sport requires instantaneous reactions.
You shouldnā€™t be able to turn instantly though, players actually have weight in 23 and that forces you to handball the footy around or take on the tackler which is much more realistic than previous games where youā€™re just moving forward in straight lines.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You shouldnā€™t be able to turn instantly though, players actually have weight in 23
I didn't mean a complete turn, I mean starting to turn once commanded, which 23 does not do. 23 doesn't really have weight, either, all the players move like they're on an ice rink getting an extra weightless fast push. This makes it even more unplayable when the commands aren't responsive but everyone is moving so fast and weightless. The kicked footballs even go as fast as drones. The only thing that looks right is the way the ball bounces.
and that forces you to handball the footy around or take on the tackler which is much more realistic than previous games where youā€™re just moving forward in straight lines.
You could take on the tackler and move the ball methodically around the past games, Live 2011 was probably the best at that since you could release a hand pass out just as you're being tackled, whereas 23 will pin you.

I didn't mean a complete turn, I mean starting to turn once commanded, which 23 does not do. 23 doesn't really have weight, either, all the players move like they're on an ice rink getting an extra weightless fast push. This makes it even more unplayable when the commands aren't responsive but everyone is moving so fast and weightless. The kicked footballs even go as fast as drones. The only thing that looks right is the way the ball bounces.

You could take on the tackler and move the ball methodically around the past games, Live 2011 was probably the best at that since you could release a hand pass out just as you're being tackled, whereas 23 will pin you.
You realise if you take your finger off sprint, youā€™ll have way more precision with movement and turning. In fact, youā€™ll find that this also helps you weave through traffic and slip past tacklers.
I still think part of your problem is just an inability to string together all the button commands.

You can release a hand ball while being tackled in 23, itā€™s actually better in 23 as sometimes you can handball out, other times you only have one hand free and have to get a kick away and sometimes the tackler pins you (as should happen from time to time if the tackle is good)

You realise if you take your finger off sprint, youā€™ll have way more precision with movement and turning.
I didn't have to do that in older AFL games to get the player to respond to commands.
In fact, youā€™ll find that this also helps you weave through traffic and slip past tacklers.
Again, the older AFL games did not require releasing the sprint button just to get a response from the players. Nor do other sport titles like eFootball, or even any game that I can think off. That makes no sense, either, it's obviously just broken.
I still think part of your problem is just an inability to string together all the button commands.
But every other game I play I do not have response time issues with the commands, and the game is known to have broken movement like stuck in the mud.
You can release a hand ball while being tackled in 23
I mean as you're just being tackled, in Live 2011 you could take the tackle and get a pass out, it worked well. I actually preferred that over Evo 2 where the ball drops out of your possession automatically.
itā€™s actually better in 23 as sometimes you can handball out, other times you only have one hand free and have to get a kick away and sometimes the tackler pins you (as should happen from time to time if the tackle is good)
I know that one, but that's only once you're being pinned for a while. Even in real life, players will release hand pass as soon as they're being tackled.

I didn't have to do that in older AFL games to get the player to respond to commands.

Again, the older AFL games did not require releasing the sprint button just to get a response from the players. Nor do other sport titles like eFootball, or even any game that I can think off. That makes no sense, either, it's obviously just broken.

But every other game I play I do not have response time issues with the commands, and the game is known to have broken movement like stuck in the mud.

I mean as you're just being tackled, in Live 2011 you could take the tackle and get a pass out, it worked well. I actually preferred that over Evo 2 where the ball drops out of your possession automatically.

I know that one, but that's only once you're being pinned for a while. Even in real life, players will release hand pass as soon as they're being tackled.
The need to take your finger off sprint makes a lot of sense, if a player is going full pelt their reaction time will be slower and they should have to slow down for more precision - what youā€™re talking about isnā€™t unresponsive players, they still respond but your success rate of executing an action is lower because your sprinting (this is how sports work in real life aswell)

The stuck in the mud issue is broken gameplay, everything else is just misunderstanding of how the mechanics work.

In regards to the tackling, everytime I play I can get a handball out while being tackled and itā€™s immediate - I actually think one of the best aspects of 23 is the tackling and being able to dispose of the ball during a tackle or even tackling a player and forcing the incorrect disposal.

The need to take your finger off sprint makes a lot of sense, if a player is going full pelt their reaction time will be slower and they should have to slow down for more precision - what youā€™re talking about isnā€™t unresponsive players, they still respond but your success rate of executing an action is lower because your sprinting (this is how sports work in real life aswell)

The stuck in the mud issue is broken gameplay, everything else is just misunderstanding of how the mechanics work.

In regards to the tackling, everytime I play I can get a handball out while being tackled and itā€™s immediate - I actually think one of the best aspects of 23 is the tackling and being able to dispose of the ball during a tackle or even tackling a player and forcing the incorrect disposal.
When was the last time you actually watched an AFL game ?
Players sprint and execute skills well all the time šŸ¤£
Sure, thereā€™s a higher chance that it doesnā€™t come off as opposed to jogging along but itā€™s definitely not as rare as you make it out to be.

But more to the point, players donā€™t run around an invisible barrier in real life to get to an opponent like they do in game. I seriously canā€™t fathom how youā€™re defending the movement when itā€™s a genuine known issue.
Hence why thereā€™s little to no contested gameplay.

I thought AFL 23 did some things really well (aside from the graphics), a lot of the problems though are so simple to see and it's mind boggling that they were ignored (probably because they were in the too hard basket to deal with ? lol).

What's more mind boggling was the stuck in mud issue was borderline solved in a May/June (forgot the time line) update but weeks later they undid it when another patch went south. And while steps were taken to "fix" it, it wasn't eliminated entirely.

When was the last time you actually watched an AFL game ?
Players sprint and execute skills well all the time šŸ¤£
Sure, thereā€™s a higher chance that it doesnā€™t come off as opposed to jogging along but itā€™s definitely not as rare as you make it out to be.

But more to the point, players donā€™t run around an invisible barrier in real life to get to an opponent like they do in game. I seriously canā€™t fathom how youā€™re defending the movement when itā€™s a genuine known issue.
Hence why thereā€™s little to no contested gameplay.
I have no idea what invisible barriers youā€™re talking about, if youā€™re sprinting, your player will have a wider turning circle but thereā€™s no invisible walls.

The genuine issue is stuff like the stuck in the mud problem but the rest seems to be people who just canā€™t play the game.

Thereā€™s plenty of contested gameplay when i play, itā€™s an area that could use more layers and depth added to it in future titles (similar to marking contests) but itā€™s definitely there.

I have no idea what invisible barriers youā€™re talking about, if youā€™re sprinting, your player will have a wider turning circle but thereā€™s no invisible walls.

The genuine issue is stuff like the stuck in the mud problem but the rest seems to be people who just canā€™t play the game.

clint-eeastwood.gif

There were many instances (I even posted a few videos) where you could run a straight path.... but get blocked by an invisible wall that forced you to change direction you were taking. It was most prevalent in the forward/defensive 50's - so quite often you couldn't finish (or close off) attacking plays.

I had a very good handle of the game and could thrash the AI by a considerable amount :). I don't think EVERY negative aspect of it was player driven, but the programming of the game itself.

The game can be fun when played in certain ways (hey I love smashing Geelong/Sydney/Esssendon!), however some older games (including Aussie Rules Footy on the NES) play better!

The game can be fun when played in certain ways (hey I love smashing Geelong/Sydney/Esssendon!), however some older games (including Aussie Rules Footy on the NES) play better!
Doesn't matter how serious I take my manager mode; when I play Geelong and Essendon, I instantly change the difficulty to Easiest, give them a 300 point walloping, and go back on my way to hardest. Don't want them even getting a sniff of a decent percentage

clint-eeastwood.gif

There were many instances (I even posted a few videos) where you could run a straight path.... but get blocked by an invisible wall that forced you to change direction you were taking. It was most prevalent in the forward/defensive 50's - so quite often you couldn't finish (or close off) attacking plays.

I had a very good handle of the game and could thrash the AI by a considerable amount :). I don't think EVERY negative aspect of it was player driven, but the programming of the game itself.

All you had to do is kick the ball inside 50 for a 1v1 contested mark, it's that unrealistic and basic. I tried playing a possession hand ball game, but that's impossible and even pointless, since you can't move properly and just lobbing it in rewards you.

It still blows my mind the amount of unfinished garbage BA have pumped out. AFL, Cricket, now a new Tennis game (saw a clip that had women hitting 242 k/ph serves) and Rugby on the way.

Makes you wonder if they're struggling a bit and are trying to get some cash through the doors. Pretty clear they aren't passionate about the work, basically becoming a shovelware dev.

Last edited:
It still blows my mind the amount of unfinished garbage BA have pumped out. AFL, Cricket, now a new Tennis game (saw a clip that had women hitting 242 k/ph serves) and Rugby on the way.

Makes you wonder if they're struggling a bit and are trying to get some cash through the doors. Pretty clear they aren't passionate about the work, basically becoming a shovelware dev.
I think they are. If they weren't, They would have taken their time with these games and not rushed them out the door. TieBreak is just yet another undercooked game.

Plus, Now that 2K has announced a new Top Spin, They're pretty much gonna have their lunch eaten. So that's another game dead in the water and it'll be 4 from 4 when they can finally release Rugby 24.

I just wish we had a similar situation where we had someone else coming out with an Aussie Rules game.

Remove this Banner Ad

Multiplat AFL 23 - Part 2 with added Pro Team

Remove this Banner Ad

Back