Multiplat AFL 23 - Part 2 with added Pro Team

Remove this Banner Ad

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I have no idea what invisible barriers youā€™re talking about, if youā€™re sprinting, your player will have a wider turning circle but thereā€™s no invisible walls.

The genuine issue is stuff like the stuck in the mud problem but the rest seems to be people who just canā€™t play the game.

Thereā€™s plenty of contested gameplay when i play, itā€™s an area that could use more layers and depth added to it in future titles (similar to marking contests) but itā€™s definitely there.
It's clear the you have to complete an animation in order to turn in the game, it's that broken. The game will not let you start to turn unless certain animations finish, the programming is botched. Sometimes the players are stuck in a tank control style like from the Resident Evil PS1 games. The custom engine seems to have taken its toll on the developers, not to mention all the resources going to photogrammetry.

It's clear the you have to complete an animation in order to turn in the game, it's that broken. The game will not let you start to turn unless certain animations finish, the programming is botched. Sometimes the players are stuck in a tank control style like from the Resident Evil PS1 games. The custom engine seems to have taken its toll on the developers, not to mention all the resources going to photogrammetry.
Can you stop with all this ā€œthe custom engine has taken its toll on the devsā€ stuff, you have no idea whatā€™s going on in their offices and Iā€™d guess the majority of us know next to nothing about game dev or how big ants engine works.

I still have no idea how youā€™re having such issues with turning, the turning circles when sprinting are bigger than they probably should be so that could use some tweaking but youā€™re going off as if the game is completely broken, which it was at launch but isnā€™t now.

The ā€˜mudā€™ issue is the only major broken aspect of movement, if they fix that then thereā€™s a decent game here.

All you had to do is kick the ball inside 50 for a 1v1 contested mark, it's that unrealistic and basic. I tried playing a possession hand ball game, but that's impossible and even pointless, since you can't move properly and just lobbing it in rewards you.
You could say the same thing about every AFL game though.

Even if Evo 2 had some sort of pack marking, you could still just bomb it long and it would usually lead to an easy score.

You can totally play a handball possession game but the difference is that in 23 you donā€™t just handball forwards in straight lines, the game forces you to work your way around the defenders.

Can you stop with all this ā€œthe custom engine has taken its toll on the devsā€ stuff, you have no idea whatā€™s going on in their offices and Iā€™d guess the majority of us know next to nothing about game dev or how big ants engine works.
This is based on testimony from past employees, they criticized the company for not using paid middleware and that took away labour from programming the games, because they were stuck having to develop for the custom engine. It was good insight into why things weren't working right in the game. Why am I not allowed to bring that up? I think it's perfectly relevant.
I still have no idea how youā€™re having such issues with turning, the turning circles when sprinting are bigger than they probably should be so that could use some tweaking but youā€™re going off as if the game is completely broken, which it was at launch but isnā€™t now.
Because the game's user commands don't respond properly?
The ā€˜mudā€™ issue is the only major broken aspect of movement, if they fix that then thereā€™s a decent game here.
Why they haven't totally fixed the movement going 9 months in means they probably won't fix it at all, it's likely it could break the game altogether.

You could say the same thing about every AFL game though.
I can't really think of many AFL games after such bad user commands. it's usually an instant response once you move the analog stick. I'm shocked Big Ant released the game in such bad condition and then just left it broken.
Even if Evo 2 had some sort of pack marking, you could still just bomb it long and it would usually lead to an easy score.
With sliders on, that's not the case, it can be made to be very contested and a struggle.
You can totally play a handball possession game
There isn't any point, because the game rewards you for just lobbing it into the forward 50 and getting a 1v1 marking contest. Whereas passing it around will penalize you because of the bad response time from the user commands, and the hand passing being too short.
but the difference is that in 23 you donā€™t just handball forwards in straight lines, the game forces you to work your way around the defenders.
I never hand passed in straight lines in the older titles, I always hand passed around the ground.

I can't really think of many AFL games after such bad user commands. it's usually an instant response once you move the analog stick. I'm shocked Big Ant released the game in such bad condition and then just left it broken.

With sliders on, that's not the case, it can be made to be very contested and a struggle.

There isn't any point, because the game rewards you for just lobbing it into the forward 50 and getting a 1v1 marking contest. Whereas passing it around will penalize you because of the bad response time from the user commands, and the hand passing being too short.

I never hand passed in straight lines in the older titles, I always hand passed around the ground.
Thereā€™s an instant response when you move the stick in 23 but the players just take time to build up momentum (as they should), it could definitely use some tweaking as it can be too slow at times but itā€™s not broken, youā€™re just labelling things you donā€™t like as ā€˜brokenā€™, thereā€™s a big difference between a broken mechanic and something that just doesnā€™t suit your preference.

Every AFL game rewards you for bombing it long, if you bomb it long in Evo 2, youā€™ll either mark it or bring to ground and then still kick the goal.
You handballed around the ground in other AFL games because you chose to, the games have never made long bombing less effective.

Thereā€™s an instant response when you move the stick in 23 but the players just take time to build up momentum (as they should), it could definitely use some tweaking as it can be too slow at times but itā€™s not broken, youā€™re just labelling things you donā€™t like as ā€˜brokenā€™, thereā€™s a big difference between a broken mechanic and something that just doesnā€™t suit your preference.
I think having instant user command response in a game is usually a requirement, not a preference. The fact players at times don't even move when commanded can only be described as broken.
Every AFL game rewards you for bombing it long, if you bomb it long in Evo 2, youā€™ll either mark it or bring to ground and then still kick the goal.
In Evo 2, the sliders can make it so contested marking is very hard, and you can set up tackling in all sorts of ways, such as having the ball come loose all the time, but still be fighting all the defenders for possession. Whereas 23 is just 1v1 contested marking contests that either end in a mark or a drop of the ball, then tackle and ball ups.

You handballed around the ground in other AFL games because you chose to, the games have never made long bombing less effective.
That's how I would described 23, rather than the older titles, where you didn't have 1v1 only marking contests, so you had to hand pass around the ground. Especially in Evo 2 if you have the sliders set up to make contested marking really hard, and you have loads of defenders to content with.

I think having instant user command response in a game is usually a requirement, not a preference. The fact players at times don't even move when commanded can only be described as broken.

In Evo 2, the sliders can make it so contested marking is very hard, and you can set up tackling in all sorts of ways, such as having the ball come loose all the time, but still be fighting all the defenders for possession. Whereas 23 is just 1v1 contested marking contests that either end in a mark or a drop of the ball, then tackle and ball ups.

That's how I would described 23, rather than the older titles, where you didn't have 1v1 only marking contests, so you had to hand pass around the ground. Especially in Evo 2 if you have the sliders set up to make contested marking really hard, and you have loads of defenders to content with.
The user command response youā€™re talking about is the player building up momentum speed, thatā€™s not an issue with the game not responding to user commands, the game is responding, you just donā€™t like the way it responds - you seriously talk about the game like you havenā€™t played it since the first month of release, it doesnā€™t play like that anymore !

The only older game that didnā€™t have 1v1 contests around the ground was Evo 2 and that game could still be won easily by bombing long.
And as nice as that ai ground movement and sliders were, that was WWs 6th AFL game, you canā€™t expect big ant to have all of that in, what is essentially, game 1 in this new version.

The user command response youā€™re talking about is the player building up momentum speed, thatā€™s not an issue with the game not responding to user commands, the game is responding, you just donā€™t like the way it responds - you seriously talk about the game like you havenā€™t played it since the first month of release, it doesnā€™t play like that anymore !
It's quite evident even on recent YouTube videos of the game, too, the animations are glitchy and skipping, and players just stop moving at times. It's incredible.
The only older game that didnā€™t have 1v1 contests around the ground was Evo 2 and that game could still be won easily by bombing long.
Like I said, if you have the sliders set up in such a way, that's not possible, you have to move around the ground with hand passes.
And as nice as that ai ground movement and sliders were, that was WWs 6th AFL game, you canā€™t expect big ant to have all of that in, what is essentially, game 1 in this new version.
Live 2011 was better and that was 12 years earlier. No movement or command issues with that. They've definitely gone down hill.

It's quite evident even on recent YouTube videos of the game, too, the animations are glitchy and skipping, and players just stop moving at times. It's incredible.
Youā€™re talking about two seperate issues:
  • The stuttering animation is the ā€˜stuck in the mudā€™ issue, this needs to be fixed
  • Players only stop moving when you stop controlling them or switch players

Neither of these two are unresponsive user commands and the players will not stop moving if youā€™re telling them to move.

Again, you would know these things if you werenā€™t basing your opinions on YouTube videos and actually played the game.

Youā€™re talking about two seperate issues:
  • The stuttering animation is the ā€˜stuck in the mudā€™ issue, this needs to be fixed
  • Players only stop moving when you stop controlling them or switch players

Neither of these two are unresponsive user commands and the players will not stop moving if youā€™re telling them to move.

Again, you would know these things if you werenā€™t basing your opinions on YouTube videos and actually played the game.
I had the user commands response and movement issues on the current update.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Get a room you two.
Dog Monkey GIF

We're 39 days away from the Opening Round and it really looks like Big Ant have given this one up as a bad job considering all their other shambolic releases.

Hopefully one day we'll get a dev that doesn't do a single round of useless face scans or adding in every 3rd tier stadium and league who can just focus on that magical gameplay

We're 39 days away from the Opening Round and it really looks like Big Ant have given this one up as a bad job considering all their other shambolic releases.

Hopefully one day we'll get a dev that doesn't do a single round of useless face scans or adding in every 3rd tier stadium and league who can just focus on that magical gameplay
We wonā€™t see or hear anything until the pre-season games at the earliest, same as last year.

Who controls the retail price of the game? Seriouslyā€¦forget Pro Team, more patches & training mode, this game firstly needs to be on discount everywhere it is sold šŸ˜… and then everyone should be getting 10 free Pro Team packs IF it ever actually releases.

Who controls the retail price of the game? Seriouslyā€¦forget Pro Team, more patches & training mode, this game firstly needs to be on discount everywhere it is sold šŸ˜… and then everyone should be getting 10 free Pro Team packs IF it ever actually releases.
Ross said they follow the Nintendo model so never expect to see them on a significant sale.

The fact that this game doesnā€™t even play like modern football and the game that Ross publicly shat on does is enough for me to never touch this game again even if they release ProTeam.
They need to rework the AI and positioning and I donā€™t imagine this is on their to-do list.
I just hope AFL 25 actually plays like the modern game

Funny how Ross was banging on about how they had all these assistant coaches in to help write the AI. They must really love early 2000ā€™s footy šŸ˜…

Remove this Banner Ad

Multiplat AFL 23 - Part 2 with added Pro Team

Remove this Banner Ad

Back