Multiplat AFL 23 - Part 2 with added Pro Team

Remove this Banner Ad

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I saw last night there is an hour demo avaliable on ps plus. Might be time to give this game a crack.
You'll have a blast, Bill Burr's stand-up shows aren't even as funny

Do gamers really want to ogle players artificial CGI faces you'll barely see, when the gameplay is completely broken? No idea why they wasted money and labour on photogrammetry instead of reallocating the staff to bring in more programmers to actually make the turns/movement of the players function right, not to mention to fix the exploits and lacking/bad gameplay. But maybe the project was doomed due to their custom engine, which requires a lot of labour from the programmers.

Do gamers really want to ogle players artificial CGI faces you'll barely see, when the gameplay is completely broken? No idea why they wasted money and labour on photogrammetry instead of reallocating the staff to bring in more programmers to actually make the turns/movement of the players function right, not to mention to fix the exploits and lacking/bad gameplay. But maybe the project was doomed due to their custom engine, which requires a lot of labour from the programmers.

I agree with you, but let it go. It is what it is now, it released broken and its hardly improved since. 6 months later its pretty clear theyā€™re not going to have an all out fixing session and theres also so many better games out there to invest in.

I agree with you, but let it go. It is what it is now, it released broken and its hardly improved since. 6 months later its pretty clear theyā€™re not going to have an all out fixing session and theres also
That's the thing, though, they didn't abandon the game, and they're still sinking money into it, but they're investing in something no one would even notice. It's more questioning why they're not funding the thing that matters most?
so many better games out there to invest in.
I don't play 23, I play other games like Halo Infinite, but I've always been interested in AFL game development, even years before 23.

Hey all.
I haven't been around or playing the game since around the start of the finals. Did they ever getting playing well?
Big issues for me were teleporting balls in marking contests so positioning meant nothing, handballs going random directions/distance and worst of all, players 'stuck in the mud' when receiving the ball.

I'd check for myself but I got a refund through Steam.

Also, wouldn't surprise me if they're contracted through AFL to get a face scan of drafted players for a couple of years as part of the license deal.

So I played my trial hour last night. Got pipped by richmond in the final 30 seconds of my last game :(

Visually it looks really nice. Can't fault them for anything there.

Straight away though from the first bounce the lack of control of my player was evident. Half the ruck contests I couldn't even compete as I'd moved my ruckman 1 cm and that took them out of the ruck.

The "stuck in the mud" feeling that I thought was being over exaggerated from just watching videos was really evident. I'd take a mark, quickly hand off to the player streaming by only for him to nearly completely stop before starting to run again then inevitably be tackled from behind despite being 5m ahead when receiving the ball. This and the handball power. Try to handball to a free player 2m out of the contest and the ball went 20m the opposite direction quite regularly.

Those last 2 points made the game unplayable for me. Saying that, the game was a lot better that it looks and I did have some fun in my time with it. Certainly not worth the 100 dollar price tag though.

So I played my trial hour last night. Got pipped by richmond in the final 30 seconds of my last game :(

Straight away though from the first bounce the lack of control of my player was evident. Half the ruck contests I couldn't even compete as I'd moved my ruckman 1 cm and that took them out of the ruck.

The "stuck in the mud" feeling that I thought was being over exaggerated from just watching videos was really evident. I'd take a mark, quickly hand off to the player streaming by only for him to nearly completely stop before starting to run again then inevitably be tackled from behind despite being 5m ahead when receiving the ball. This and the handball power. Try to handball to a free player 2m out of the contest and the ball went 20m the opposite direction quite regularly.

Those last 2 points made the game unplayable for me. Saying that, the game was a lot better that it looks and I did have some fun in my time with it. Certainly not worth the 100 dollar price tag though.
This was exactly my experience.

So much to like but let down by what seems to be easy fixes that should not have been over looked.

Presentation of the game is top notch, but yeah those gameplay issues let it down big time.

Fix them for AFL 25 and they're on the road to a real winner

Probably little labour went into programming the gameplay, which caused a lot of those issues, since attention goes into their game engine instead.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This was exactly my experience.

So much to like but let down by what seems to be easy fixes that should not have been over looked.

Presentation of the game is top notch, but yeah those gameplay issues let it down big time.

Fix them for AFL 25 and they're on the road to a real winner
They'd have to add in a lot more in than just fixing the fundamental issues. Not sure if they will, though, Cricket 24 is just a reskin of 22. Those who played AO Tennis 1 and 2, did 2 fix all the issues?

I uninstalled this after about 2 weeks, and haven't even thought about it since. Was wondering if there's anyone still playing it? Did they add Pro Team? Did they end up fixing the gameplay?

Or has it just been abandoned to rot while BA moved onto Cricket 24 etc?

what did that dev who was answering questions here about the game pre-release have to say (regarding how bad it is) once it came out?

I uninstalled this after about 2 weeks, and haven't even thought about it since. Was wondering if there's anyone still playing it? Did they add Pro Team? Did they end up fixing the gameplay?

The gameplay has improved a lot since the first few weeks of release, thereā€™s still a bit of work needed but itā€™s good fun if you learn how to play.

No pro team, will be fascinating to see if that comes with the 2024 update but I get the impression theyā€™ve quietly cancelled pro team for some reason.

what did that dev who was answering questions here about the game pre-release have to say (regarding how bad it is) once it came out?
Nothing mate. They packed up from here, made their own forum so they could censor everything negative and try to pretend its all golden.

Not the relevant thread for it but check out the most recent tennis update.

The most frustrating thing is that it rarely feels like a loss is your fault.

You can't get a run on as players stop dead when receiving the ball.

The AI can handball it 20 metres out of a tackle while you can barely hit a target by hand.

The player just doesn't want to run where you want them to go.

I'd be fine if this shit was my fault but it's just the game arbitrarily taking control away from you.

The gameplay has improved a lot since the first few weeks of release, thereā€™s still a bit of work needed but itā€™s good fun if you learn how to play.

No pro team, will be fascinating to see if that comes with the 2024 update but I get the impression theyā€™ve quietly cancelled pro team for some reason.
Even though they may have fixed some of it, it's still undercooked. The response time for movement is still very slow and even unresponsive at times. This is very noticeable when you play Evo 2, and everything responds instantaneously. 23 is the only game I can think of where the in game character at times won't respond to analog commands. I was shocked when I turned the analog stick left and the player wouldn't move, and this was with the current update.

Last edited:

If you want an AFL game fix, just get Evo 2 from a certain place on the internet and change the sliders. The response time is lightyears ahead of 23 where nothing responds right. I just wish they added in custom formations for Evo 2 and better contested play.

They painted a rosy picture over it claiming they'd fix it up, but never did, and were rude and a bit hostile about valid criticisms of one of the worst games ever made. Usually developers are quite apologetic if they botch a game, ie 2010's Final Fantasy 14, this was the complete opposite.

23 is fundamentally broken, the animations are very glitchy and it doesn't respond to user commands right, especially when compared to Wicked Witch's AFL games or Live 2011. I think the developers know how unstable the game is, so that's another reason why they don't want to touch it, because it would make it even more unplayable. That could very well be a side effect of it being a custom engine, where the programmers are labouring on the game engine instead of the gameplay.

Nothing mate. They packed up from here, made their own forum so they could censor everything negative and try to pretend its all golden.

Not the relevant thread for it but check out the most recent tennis update.
Am I reading that update right? They announced the game wouldnā€™t release in 2023 a week into 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Multiplat AFL 23 - Part 2 with added Pro Team

Remove this Banner Ad

Back