Multiplat AFL 23 - Part 2 with added Pro Team

Remove this Banner Ad

(Log in to remove this ad.)

All they had to do was make AFL live with better graphics and features.
Agreed but as we found out a few weeks ago, That game was made on a different engine to the one AFL 23 was made on... I doubt they'd still even have the source code for AFL Live anyway...

An enormous amount of time and effort (and importantly, resources) went into the 'look' of the game. This was fantastic, to give them credit.
It wasn't worth the effort, time and money. They had a bigger budget, they wasted it on something people mocked anyway, because it's not at the same level as say Resident Evil 4 remake in "photorealistic" graphics. They could have hired more programmers and like you said they should have had some clear direction.

As much as I criticise this game and everything to do with it I still think they made the right call in the graphics side of things. It was needed. We say game play is king but we all know most people are looking at the graphics, and if it didn't look as nice as it does the game would have been DOA (ignoring all the other shit that caused it to be DOA).

As much as I criticise this game and everything to do with it I still think they made the right call in the graphics side of things. It was needed. We say game play is king but we all know most people are looking at the graphics, and if it didn't look as nice as it does the game would have been DOA (ignoring all the other s**t that caused it to be DOA).
The comments on social media were bagging the graphics. Even Sportsbet mocked it, it's not great graphics, so what was the point? Wasting resources it turned out to be. No idea what you mean by that dead on arrival part, when the graphics weren't wowing the consumers into buying it, more so that it was just a new AFL game, essentially the branding is what made people interested.

lmao what. of course they'd have the source code for their own game.
Ok, Maybe I wasn't thinking when I said that comment... They'd most likely still have it unless they've trashed it in the years since.

I don't really know how to answer why they didn't use AFL Live as a base. Maybe they didn't want to use the old engine, Maybe it's hard to port to the new engine, Maybe they just didn't care. I really don't know. I just wanted a good AFL game I could play not spend months trying to figure out why the game was so bad?, Did Big Ant even care when making it? and are we screwed in terms of the future of AFL games and potentially getting an AFL game that most people can agree is good?

Just frankly, I just wish AFL 23 never existed as all parties involved would have been spared the grief and confusion.

Did Big Ant even care when making it? and are we screwed in terms of the future of AFL games and potentially getting an AFL game that most people can agree is good?

I’d hope the answer to that first question is ‘yes’. Ross himself said this was a passion project, seemingly that would imply they actually care about the end result and reception but yeah, massive missed opportunity. I think we’ll likely never see a big production AFL game in the sense of NBA 2K/EA FC. Those are franchise games that have been built up literally for decades. If AFL 23 doesnt end up being the base for the next game, sadly the process becomes rinse and repeat yet again.

I’d hope the answer to that first question is ‘yes’. Ross himself said this was a passion project, seemingly that would imply they actually care about the end result and reception but yeah, massive missed opportunity. I think we’ll likely never see a big production AFL game in the sense of NBA 2K/EA FC. Those are franchise games that have been built up literally for decades. If AFL 23 doesnt end up being the base for the next game, sadly the process becomes rinse and repeat yet again.
I suppose the question there is this game even able to be a base for a future game. I think part of the problem as well is that people want their cake and eat it at the same time. They want a game like NBA 2K/EA FC but don't seem to get that it took them years and years just to get to this point along with a shitload of investment and budget.

The question is now, Does AFL 23 have a strong enough engine to pull off the fundamentals and nuances of the game well and be able to be built upon? And quite frankly, I don't really have the answer there.

Ross himself said this was a passion project, seemingly that would imply they actually care about the end result
I don't think so, if it were, the game wouldn't have been released in terrible condition. They would have held off release for over a year or more. They were still developing the game post release, which was truly bizarre.

As much as I criticise this game and everything to do with it I still think they made the right call in the graphics side of things. It was needed. We say game play is king but we all know most people are looking at the graphics, and if it didn't look as nice as it does the game would have been DOA (ignoring all the other s**t that caused it to be DOA).

Should have focused on game play first, worked out any and all problems (stick figure players FTW) then once it was more playable than it currently is now... then focus on beefing up the graphics. AND MAKE LUKE BRUEST LOOK LIKE LUKE BRUEST! :p

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Who would’ve known that the “saviour” would likely kill AFL video games for the foreseeable future.

Should have focused on game play first, worked out any and all problems (stick figure players FTW) then once it was more playable than it currently is now... then focus on beefing up the graphics. AND MAKE LUKE BRUEST LOOK LIKE LUKE BRUEST! :p
I would have taken 3D silhouettes rotoscoped to match real movements if they got every aspect of the sport adapted right.

Who would’ve known that the “saviour” would likely kill AFL video games for the foreseeable future.
I'm shocked you couldn't turn the players properly, something I think most AFL games before it at least got right. Crazy the CEO and others were aggressively defending the stuck in the mud thing, was totally bizarre.

The fact that this game has probably killed any hope for any Aussie Rules video game for god knows how long honestly kinda depresses me. I just want a fun Aussie Rules game with the ability to customize stuff and the fact that we're probably never gonna get that this rate honestly hurts.

It's my favorite sport so of course I'd want a game that simulate it well and the fact that I just haven't been interested in any AAA titles for ages and haven't really played many games in the past few years kinda just makes the fact that we can't get a decent title and that AFL 23 has been so bad that it has likely killed any hope for an Aussie Rules game in the future, Let alone a good one just makes me think that maybe what I would like to see in a game and what's made just isn't for me anymore.

This is a feeling that I've had for a while but AFL 23 brings everything that has been turning me off gaming to the forefront and frankly has just made me realize that the games I do want are probably not going to come out and to stop waiting for them because it just leads to disappointment.

I think I just gotta admit that gaming has kinda passed me by and that my dream Aussie Rules game is just never gonna happen...

AI decides to go on a run, gets stuck in mud then "user error" handballs :p

I actually like the little animation touches, I've not seen the twirl of the football before (yes I'm aware I need to control more teams :p)

Give away a 50m penalty, get the ball back from an inteception, bring the ball forward and miss the shot at goal from almost dead in front :p

Heading into prelim week and still no updates 😂 Let that sink in that the biggest most hyped and promoted as the realest gaming experience you will have is still not finished and even missed an entire console and an entire season of football has almost been completed.

Think they’d be heavily invested in making sure cricket releases smoothly in a couple of weeks.

AI decides to go on a run, gets stuck in mud then "user error" handballs :p

I actually like the little animation touches, I've not seen the twirl of the football before (yes I'm aware I need to control more teams :p)

Give away a 50m penalty, get the ball back from an inteception, bring the ball forward and miss the shot at goal from almost dead in front :p

That turning is atrocious, not sure why some think it's acceptable. I'm not even sure how they messed that up when previous AFL games got it right.

Remove this Banner Ad

Multiplat AFL 23 - Part 2 with added Pro Team

Remove this Banner Ad

Back