Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
WHEN CAN I PLAY? READ BELOW:
  • PlayStation (Physical): Thursday 4 May
  • PlayStation (Digital): 8:01am AEST Thursday 4 May
  • Steam: Currently 8:01am AEST Thursday 4 May, may be moved to 12:01am AEST
  • Xbox (Digital or Physical): TO BE CONFIRMED, unlikely to be 4 May

Those that pre-ordered PS versions will be able to play on Thursday, disks will have already been mailed by retailers, they will also be available in-store.

Steam will also be available Thursday.

Stating the obvious, we are still having issues with XBox.

Seriously, anyone that looks hard knows there’s issues - why do you think there are so many exclusives for a particular platform that are not marked as exclusive, but are only on that platform.

If I took that road, life would have been a lot easier.

Xbox digital and retail will release at the same time - that is not a decision we get to make.

It applies now and I will no doubt pay a price.

Re: commentary team
Hamish is still there, Daisy didn't make it into the final version of the game.

We added Gary and increased the workload of Harf.

Re: game availability/release dates
I can never give 100% guarantee about anything in the future, but as it stands today, the statement I am prepared to make it that all stock that is at retailers on 4 May will be available for sale.

As to the amount that will be there for sale, and whether it is enough, that is a question I cannot answer.

It will be made digitally available on the various platform holder electronic stores.

Clarifying, the game will not release prior to 4 May 2023.

I am vague as there is one platform that has had sufficient stock at retailers and the other has not, and I cannot name them (contractual reasons).

The game will not be further delayed because of the numbers of units in stock.

Re: Steam listing
I've already put in a request for the screenshots to be replaced with current ones, they'll probably only be there for a day.

As much as the feedback has generally been positive, these are old, meant to be placeholder only and were not meant to go live.

Re: playing lists
All playing lists are accurate for the 2023 season.

Re: content creator footage
This is all prior to day one patch (as some have noted updates like numbers etc are apparent)

Re: Career mode
A head's up on Career mode.

At the AFL 23 Launch night I mentioned the non-team based Individual Career Mode in an interview with Dean (Twistie3). As alluded to at that same event, we were working with the AFL and AFLPA to include as many past legends in the game as possible.

The great news is that we have received approval for far more AFL legends than were previously envisaged, but this has meant that we had to make the tough decision to divert resources away from the Individual Career mode development. The individual Career Mode function will not make it into AFL 23, Career Mode will be entirely team based. I expect this mode to be include in future iterations of the game.

Re: microtransactions
You do not have to make purchases, things can be earned.

Re: general development
So fundamentally flawed, in so many ways, it’s bananas.

We are doing AFL as it’s a passion project, without us doing it there would not be one being made.

So much more upside with making games that are played internationally, let alone one that will not even be played in every state in this country.

Last edited:
You’re right on the last sentence, other than online Xbox/PS stores, we shouldnt see this game rise above $99 elsewhere.
Digital stores are rough - I remember just before AFL Evolution 2 was taken down, it went on sale for like $35 for 2 weeks, then back up to $99 for a while before disappearing. Biggest reason I do not want gaming to go 100% digital - they have no competition and you're forced to pay their blown out prices until they decide to put the game on sale (if they do).

That’s absolutely fair enough mate and I understand your opinion. But if its met with positive reviews that wont change your stance?

More a voting with my wallet stance, I hope for everyone here that it's a great game. I've got that big a backlog that even if the usual high seas method is unavailable I won't be that cut up about it!

I'll absolutely be in the minority but I won't be buying it, been pretty unimpressed with the dev interactions on here.
Yeah fair call - I guess we all differ on how we view these things. I love the passion and fire from Ross; I work for a big company and hate the PR talk everytime our CEO talks to us or addresses the public (I know 100% why he needs to though). It's a nice change in my eyes, but understand it's not everyone's cup of tea

I love the passion and fire from Ross; I work for a big company and hate the PR talk everytime our CEO talks to us or addresses the public
I think it's good to be passionate about what you do and defend, to an extent, your work. I think there's a fine line to walk and sometimes it can dip into the childish from BigAnt's end - stooping to the level of some of the folks on here.

In the end, there's not a single person here that wants this game to be bad and the people posting here are customers, no matter how ridiculous they may act sometimes. I'd think you'd want to bite your tongue and endear yourself to them rather than biting back with, frankly, childish responses a la memes from 2011.

Just my opinion and I 100% respect what BigAnt has done over the past 10+ years.

Depends where you live, been caught out with a couple of games over time in the country where if you didn't pre order the local EB wouldn't get many if any copies of the game. That was more related to NFL etc where the sport isn't as popular, I am sure they would still cover enough copies.

Usually I would just go digital, pre ordering on the xbox store is good it will download the game a week or so out from release and you don't have to sit there all day waiting for a download and updates. Only downside is the game isn't even on the store at present but pricing is always much the same you just don't get the junk stuff that EB do sometimes with versions of the games.

Yeah fair call - I guess we all differ on how we view these things. I love the passion and fire from Ross; I work for a big company and hate the PR talk everytime our CEO talks to us or addresses the public (I know 100% why he needs to though). It's a nice change in my eyes, but understand it's not everyone's cup of tea

Don't get me wrong, bluntness can be fantastic. I have worked as an engineer on substantial public projects and now in a corporate finance role so I'm all too familiar with the doublespeak that goes on. I just think he has steered too hard into arrogance and not actually taking any feedback on board.

I'd hazard a guess that if this was another developer, on another game (and without being an active contributor to this thread), there'd be quite a few more people calling it out.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Don't get me wrong, bluntness can be fantastic. I have worked as an engineer on substantial public projects and now in a corporate finance role so I'm all too familiar with the doublespeak that goes on. I just think he has steered too hard into arrogance and not actually taking any feedback on board.

I'd hazard a guess that if this was another developer, on another game (and without being an active contributor to this thread), there'd be quite a few more people calling it out.

Agree 100% with that second paragraph. Weird he doesn't just let his social media team (person?) deal with us plebs like most CEOs not named Elon.

Saying that I take comfort in the fact that JNT BA has always been receptive to feedback, and some of that feedback has led to improvements to the game. Tough gig with the restrictions placed on him but he handles it all well. He might throw a few keyboards around the office but no dummies have been spat on here 😊

Everyone on here will buy the game. That’s the funny part, in spite of all the drama and comments on here… Every single person will end up buying this game, regardless of what they’ve said about it because at the end of the day it’s a new AFL game 🤦🏻‍♂️🤣
If it's a bit of an upgrade from evo 2 I sure will

Everyone here saying you'll buy the game anyways needs to remember may has a big list of games coming from star wars to zelda then diablo early next month.
Heaps aren't going to throw money at it if if it's not quite of an improvement over evo 2.

Everyone here saying you'll buy the game anyways needs to remember may has a big list of games coming from star wars to zelda then diablo early next month.
Heaps aren't going to throw money at it if if it's not quite of an improvement over evo 2.

I agree with that. I said it in the context of its a new AFL game on new console hardware and there’s no competition for it so I think its a safe bet a lot of people will buy it just on those things alone. Despite all the knocks on the promotion and lack of media, I think its safe to say it’ll be a huge leap over Evo 2.

Everyone on here will buy the game. That’s the funny part, in spite of all the drama and comments on here… Every single person will end up buying this game, regardless of what they’ve said about it because at the end of the day it’s a new AFL game 🤦🏻‍♂️🤣

I'll be buying it and won't hold back if it's a negative experience. Just the same as I won't hold back if its enjoyable.

I'll be a bit disappointed if it's just LIVE style gameplay with 2022/2023 fresh paint (graphics etc).

I can live with "broken" AI if it's patched after launch!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back