Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
WHEN CAN I PLAY? READ BELOW:
  • PlayStation (Physical): Thursday 4 May
  • PlayStation (Digital): 8:01am AEST Thursday 4 May
  • Steam: Currently 8:01am AEST Thursday 4 May, may be moved to 12:01am AEST
  • Xbox (Digital or Physical): TO BE CONFIRMED, unlikely to be 4 May

Those that pre-ordered PS versions will be able to play on Thursday, disks will have already been mailed by retailers, they will also be available in-store.

Steam will also be available Thursday.

Stating the obvious, we are still having issues with XBox.

Seriously, anyone that looks hard knows there’s issues - why do you think there are so many exclusives for a particular platform that are not marked as exclusive, but are only on that platform.

If I took that road, life would have been a lot easier.

Xbox digital and retail will release at the same time - that is not a decision we get to make.

It applies now and I will no doubt pay a price.

Re: commentary team
Hamish is still there, Daisy didn't make it into the final version of the game.

We added Gary and increased the workload of Harf.

Re: game availability/release dates
I can never give 100% guarantee about anything in the future, but as it stands today, the statement I am prepared to make it that all stock that is at retailers on 4 May will be available for sale.

As to the amount that will be there for sale, and whether it is enough, that is a question I cannot answer.

It will be made digitally available on the various platform holder electronic stores.

Clarifying, the game will not release prior to 4 May 2023.

I am vague as there is one platform that has had sufficient stock at retailers and the other has not, and I cannot name them (contractual reasons).

The game will not be further delayed because of the numbers of units in stock.

Re: Steam listing
I've already put in a request for the screenshots to be replaced with current ones, they'll probably only be there for a day.

As much as the feedback has generally been positive, these are old, meant to be placeholder only and were not meant to go live.

Re: playing lists
All playing lists are accurate for the 2023 season.

Re: content creator footage
This is all prior to day one patch (as some have noted updates like numbers etc are apparent)

Re: Career mode
A head's up on Career mode.

At the AFL 23 Launch night I mentioned the non-team based Individual Career Mode in an interview with Dean (Twistie3). As alluded to at that same event, we were working with the AFL and AFLPA to include as many past legends in the game as possible.

The great news is that we have received approval for far more AFL legends than were previously envisaged, but this has meant that we had to make the tough decision to divert resources away from the Individual Career mode development. The individual Career Mode function will not make it into AFL 23, Career Mode will be entirely team based. I expect this mode to be include in future iterations of the game.

Re: microtransactions
You do not have to make purchases, things can be earned.

Re: general development
So fundamentally flawed, in so many ways, it’s bananas.

We are doing AFL as it’s a passion project, without us doing it there would not be one being made.

So much more upside with making games that are played internationally, let alone one that will not even be played in every state in this country.

Last edited:
Happy with the be-a-pro/career mode missing this version as long as management mode is in depth and doesn't suffer for the pro mode too. Fingers crossed Michaels can ease some of our concerns when he sees the release version this week

Couldn’t agree more. Plus can you imagine the feedback had it been included and only been at a limited capacity?! The complaints on here would be next level 🤣

Of course and I want it in future versions too however my point is that its already been announced that it won’t be included in the game and its beyond Big Ant’s control so lets hope next time around the mode is better then we’ve ever seen it previously.

It’s definitely within their control. They made the active choice to devote more development time to the ultimate team clone. They’ve owned that choice openly.

Hopefully it pays off for them.

Of course and I want it in future versions too however my point is that its already been announced that it won’t be included in the game and its beyond Big Ant’s control so lets hope next time around the mode is better then we’ve ever seen it previously.

How is determining which modes to focus time and effort on outside of the game developer's control?

EDIT: Beaten by BRAB

I'll bite: I was disappointed that solo career mode was shelved in favour of a Pro Mode with micro transactions I have no desire to play (and probably won't). Whilst I can see and understand the reasoning for it, I am disappointed and understand I am likely to be in the minority for this. Probably means after a few games to get the hang of it, coach mode will be the one I'll play the most.
I'm in the exact same boat - never going to play Pro Team so annoyed that it's taken the priority, but I fully get why Big Ant are doing it and if it's what it takes for them to fund a new game, its a necessary evil in my eyes. Coach mode will always be my primary game mode - if we can at least know that this version is getting as much or more focus than pro team, then I'll be happy. As an avid player of manager mode of FIFA for the past 20 years, I've slowly watched them throw single player/management mode in the bin and I don't want that for AFL

Interesting to see there was no mention of player career on the cover itself. Why did we only find out about it being cut a few days ago?
It was never actually mentioned/announced as a feature except for a quick comment by Ross in a youtube interview with Twistie. There was talks about it, but I guess with resources stretched thin, they had to put it on pause once they realised the scope of the pro mode. For all we know, the feature is there but with resources allocated elsewhere, the smaller group working on it decided it just wasn't up to scratch enough for them to release it

I'm in the exact same boat - never going to play Pro Team so annoyed that it's taken the priority, but I fully get why Big Ant are doing it and if it's what it takes for them to fund a new game, its a necessary evil in my eyes. Coach mode will always be my primary game mode - if we can at least know that this version is getting as much or more focus than pro team, then I'll be happy. As an avid player of manager mode of FIFA for the past 20 years, I've slowly watched them throw single player/management mode in the bin and I don't want that for AFL

So-called whales bankroll these modes so will be interesting to see how many there are in such a niche market.

Hopefully Gil gets hooked in his retirement. He can afford the addiction.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'll bite: I was disappointed that solo career mode was shelved in favour of a Pro Mode with micro transactions I have no desire to play (and probably won't). Whilst I can see and understand the reasoning for it, I am disappointed and understand I am likely to be in the minority for this. Probably means after a few games to get the hang of it, coach mode will be the one I'll play the most.
I enjoyed playing heaps of FIFA 22 ultimate team without spending a cent. After the game dropped for free on PSN.

Hopefully this AFL version has simular options for unlocking cards/packs by completing objectives too.

So-called whales bankroll these modes so will be interesting to see how many there are in such a niche market.

Hopefully Gil gets hooked in his retirement. He can afford the addiction.

Still convinced Quivorir is going to take out a second mortgage to secure a Gold Jy Simpkin

Grinding or pay to win, neither are terribly healthy really.
Wouldnt necessarily call it a grind. Was a PvP mode that was great fun where you rank up divisions with a collection of wins in a row and earn coins after each match. Obviously more coins the better you got.

Really curious to see if something simular is implemented

So any idea if the management/coaching mode is half decent on this? I want to rebuild the Eagles 🤪
Yeah looks really in depth with 3 types of drafts
Grinding or pay to win, neither are terribly healthy really.
Very true, I'm not totally against the pro team, and I'll probably make it my main game mode, but I doubt BA have gone through the effort of making different divisions for Pro team, could end up being really ugly with an amazing team going up against a casual player who doesn't spend money on it.

I enjoyed playing heaps of FIFA 22 ultimate team without spending a cent. After the game dropped for free on PSN.

Hopefully this AFL version has simular options for unlocking cards/packs by completing objectives too.
Look I'll probably give it a go but if it is similar to my experience with Master Duel I'll lose interest quickly just trying for the 1 card/player

Watching Twistie's video with medium difficulty AI.

Pros:

• the set shot is beautiful
  • some nice flowing gameplay
  • ruck contests look much improved. look at the AI here:
  • players look great, even if a tad shiny

Cons:

- I know there are at least two higher levels. So maybe it doesn't matter much, but this AI is pretty dumb. They'll take a mark 50 metres out on the flank and then they'll pass it centrally to about 60 metres out with a 2 v 2 contest. You'd never do that in real life. You'd kick long inside 50 to a contest, or pass around the 50 to a completely free man. Of course there is the odd **** up in real life but it does look pretty common here. Hopefully the higher difficulties help.

It was never actually mentioned/announced as a feature except for a quick comment by Ross in a youtube interview with Twistie. There was talks about it, but I guess with resources stretched thin, they had to put it on pause once they realised the scope of the pro mode. For all we know, the feature is there but with resources allocated elsewhere, the smaller group working on it decided it just wasn't up to scratch enough for them to release it
Saying they’d already moved to objective based performance rankings I would’ve thought it was basically done given how close launch was

Cons:

- I know there are at least two higher levels. So maybe it doesn't matter much, but this AI is pretty dumb. They'll take a mark 50 metres out on the flank and then they'll pass it centrally to about 60 metres out with a 2 v 2 contest. You'd never do that in real life. You'd kick long inside 50 to a contest, or pass around the 50 to a completely free man. Of course there is the odd * up in real life but it does look pretty common here. Hopefully the higher difficulties help.

Nah, when Ross said they used AFL assistant coaches to help out with the AI side of things, he just didn't mention it was assistants from the Eagles.

Would kill for us to hit a 2v2 contest. Would be a massive improvement to how we currently go about moving the ball forward!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back