Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
WHEN CAN I PLAY? READ BELOW:
  • PlayStation (Physical): Thursday 4 May
  • PlayStation (Digital): 8:01am AEST Thursday 4 May
  • Steam: Currently 8:01am AEST Thursday 4 May, may be moved to 12:01am AEST
  • Xbox (Digital or Physical): TO BE CONFIRMED, unlikely to be 4 May

Those that pre-ordered PS versions will be able to play on Thursday, disks will have already been mailed by retailers, they will also be available in-store.

Steam will also be available Thursday.

Stating the obvious, we are still having issues with XBox.

Seriously, anyone that looks hard knows there’s issues - why do you think there are so many exclusives for a particular platform that are not marked as exclusive, but are only on that platform.

If I took that road, life would have been a lot easier.

Xbox digital and retail will release at the same time - that is not a decision we get to make.

It applies now and I will no doubt pay a price.

Re: commentary team
Hamish is still there, Daisy didn't make it into the final version of the game.

We added Gary and increased the workload of Harf.

Re: game availability/release dates
I can never give 100% guarantee about anything in the future, but as it stands today, the statement I am prepared to make it that all stock that is at retailers on 4 May will be available for sale.

As to the amount that will be there for sale, and whether it is enough, that is a question I cannot answer.

It will be made digitally available on the various platform holder electronic stores.

Clarifying, the game will not release prior to 4 May 2023.

I am vague as there is one platform that has had sufficient stock at retailers and the other has not, and I cannot name them (contractual reasons).

The game will not be further delayed because of the numbers of units in stock.

Re: Steam listing
I've already put in a request for the screenshots to be replaced with current ones, they'll probably only be there for a day.

As much as the feedback has generally been positive, these are old, meant to be placeholder only and were not meant to go live.

Re: playing lists
All playing lists are accurate for the 2023 season.

Re: content creator footage
This is all prior to day one patch (as some have noted updates like numbers etc are apparent)

Re: Career mode
A head's up on Career mode.

At the AFL 23 Launch night I mentioned the non-team based Individual Career Mode in an interview with Dean (Twistie3). As alluded to at that same event, we were working with the AFL and AFLPA to include as many past legends in the game as possible.

The great news is that we have received approval for far more AFL legends than were previously envisaged, but this has meant that we had to make the tough decision to divert resources away from the Individual Career mode development. The individual Career Mode function will not make it into AFL 23, Career Mode will be entirely team based. I expect this mode to be include in future iterations of the game.

Re: microtransactions
You do not have to make purchases, things can be earned.

Re: general development
So fundamentally flawed, in so many ways, it’s bananas.

We are doing AFL as it’s a passion project, without us doing it there would not be one being made.

So much more upside with making games that are played internationally, let alone one that will not even be played in every state in this country.

Last edited:

I think Ross mentioned a while back that it wouldn't work in this type of game or something along the lines of that
It works in other sports as it's a call from the team as an "appeal" and you lose them if wrong - exactly as it should be in AFL - make it a strategical part of the game. Tennis at the AO suffers from not having humans on the lines and the players having to decide to challenge.

Hey Ross just an idea, we should have an option like the NBA games where you start the management career in the previous off season, and can re-write what happened.

Just a suggestion, I can promise you that there's absolutely zero ulterior motive for wanting this feature included.....
Good idea, definitely add it to the wish list.

I really like the idea of a management mode in sports games, but does anybody else just find them kind of...lifeless?

I've only really played a bunch of NBA 2K ones and the AFL ones, so not sure if other franchises do it better. But while the initial thrill of fixing my broken arse teams is inviting, the modes inevitably quickly deteriorate into blindly choosing between faceless, randomly named and generated players that make it impossible to invest in them, with no real sense of how/if they will slot into my team.

To make it even worse, the games I've played have never managed to make the 'potential' system work. Either you've got a hard ceiling on players, which, combined with accurate draft ranking systems, makes any pick beyond the second round completely worthless (and yet, other clubs don't treat them this way so they are far more valuable as trading chips than they are at the draft, resulting in you becoming OP), or you end up with three guys at 99 within a few seasons.

There is also the issue of difficulty. Let's say I'm an average player. If I put the game on the middle difficulty, by the time I add in a few good players through FA etc, I am probably going to win more often than I lose playing the games myself. So maybe I put the difficulty up. When I do that, though, it exceeds my own abilities - so no matter how much I improve the list, I'm never actually going to win. So instead I'll simulate games - but then the management mode never feels deep enough for me to actually get much of a thrill/enjoyment out of playing just constantly fast forwarding through games. This is even more the case for AFL games where there is no in-season trading - so you simulate 23 rounds, then do a draft/trade period, and then...do it again and hope you win the premiership?

I dunno, I feel like the idea is so much more attractive than the actual gameplay. I find myself sitting here getting excited for management mode, but simultaneously know it'll be a disappointment. Maybe they're just not for me.

Great to see state leagues included. Love the inclusion of previous delisted players (and not retired players) being available in the draft. Archetype will be an interesting addition. However I do wish there was more to scouting than just a rating on draft day. Room to build on in the future.
how do you know they will be available come draft day and not retired? I would assume selwood or JK would be 75 rated 9 months after there last games at 36-37 years old
Starting to get concerned about the player ratings and how it will impact career mode. Based on the submission build we saw in the video there just isn't enough ratings variance between absolute stars, solid B graders and depth.

I'm also concerned about the high ratings given to recently delisted AFL players and retirees. I'd hate to see them dominate the mid-season draft and national draft each time you play through your first season.

Would love for Big Ant to release on Thursday a deep dive blog or video on how career mode works. I don't feel like that is too much to ask given its a flagship game mode.
i think those recently retired players are just in the player creator lists and not the mid season draft. And if they are in the mid season draft. I would imagine their ranking would drop to 80 max

I really like the idea of a management mode in sports games, but does anybody else just find them kind of...lifeless?

I've only really played a bunch of NBA 2K ones and the AFL ones, so not sure if other franchises do it better. But while the initial thrill of fixing my broken arse teams is inviting, the modes inevitably quickly deteriorate into blindly choosing between faceless, randomly named and generated players that make it impossible to invest in them, with no real sense of how/if they will slot into my team.

To make it even worse, the games I've played have never managed to make the 'potential' system work. Either you've got a hard ceiling on players, which, combined with accurate draft ranking systems, makes any pick beyond the second round completely worthless (and yet, other clubs don't treat them this way so they are far more valuable as trading chips than they are at the draft, resulting in you becoming OP), or you end up with three guys at 99 within a few seasons.

There is also the issue of difficulty. Let's say I'm an average player. If I put the game on the middle difficulty, by the time I add in a few good players through FA etc, I am probably going to win more often than I lose playing the games myself. So maybe I put the difficulty up. When I do that, though, it exceeds my own abilities - so no matter how much I improve the list, I'm never actually going to win. So instead I'll simulate games - but then the management mode never feels deep enough for me to actually get much of a thrill/enjoyment out of playing just constantly fast forwarding through games. This is even more the case for AFL games where there is no in-season trading - so you simulate 23 rounds, then do a draft/trade period, and then...do it again and hope you win the premiership?

I dunno, I feel like the idea is so much more attractive than the actual gameplay. I find myself sitting here getting excited for management mode, but simultaneously know it'll be a disappointment. Maybe they're just not for me.

With you on that. That's why I stick to career mode where I just play the game and try to build up my own created player.

Plenty of management games out there that focus on that side of things if I really wanted it. And cos it's their sole focus they'll do a better job of it too.

Stuck in a meeting at work where 1 person is doing all the talking. Have been watching the gameplay videos again in the mean time. Just getting me more and more pumped for Thursday morning

i use to be like that, but as it’s gone on especially in 2k there’s so much more detail in draft boards, draft combine, player pro/cons list, pre draft workouts, stats from their college games, draft showcase game. Then these fake players actually have some kind of profile. Not just age, position, overall, potential like we see in AFL games in the past

(Log in to remove this ad.)

i use to be like that, but as it’s gone on especially in 2k there’s so much more detail in draft boards, draft combine, player pro/cons list, pre draft workouts, stats from their college games, draft showcase game. Then these fake players actually have some kind of profile. Not just age, position, overall, potential like we see in AFL games in the past
Yeah, I take your point - I haven't played one in a few years. I remember having to hire/fire staff with special abilities etc in the NBA games and that was excellent and added a lot of immersion. Based on the menus for AFL 23, though, it looks really, really bare bones. Sadly I don't think it is going to come close to holding my attention unless it is fleshed out a lot post-launch

BigAntStudios - can you confirm on the inclusion of the secondary leagues for the management mode/can we start as for example a VFL teams coach and work our way to an AFL teams coach?
Doesn't give me great faith when it doesn't get answered. But who knows might be featured in a video today or tomorrow

Bloke on Facebook claiming the Port Adelaide 'Never Tear Us Apart' was motion captured?

Not expecting it but would be a cool inclusion

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230501_103200_Facebook.jpg
    Screenshot_20230501_103200_Facebook.jpg
    125.5 KB · Views: 181
  • Screenshot_20230501_103212_Facebook.jpg
    Screenshot_20230501_103212_Facebook.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 181
Happy with the be-a-pro/career mode missing this version as long as management mode is in depth and doesn't suffer for the pro mode too. Fingers crossed Michaels can ease some of our concerns when he sees the release version this week
I don't think it was confirmed he'd be getting his hands on the full version. I think he said he hopes to.. That was about all.
Do feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

Still convinced Quivorir is going to take out a second mortgage to secure a Gold Jy Simpkin
Hand on heart mate. They're not getting a cent of my money.

Doesn't give me great faith when it doesn't get answered. But who knows might be featured in a video today or tomorrow
I agree, the state league question continues to be ignored as opposed to just a flat out “not in the final cut”.

I still don’t think state leagues will be in the game but it’s another mystery atm.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back