windsock

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 13, 2002
x
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Kangaroos
Another feel good story emanating from the AFL. It's on our website with a good story on the cockroach.

Sorry heres the story on Mick:

Martyn gets approval to wear No. 30
Barry Levinson
kangaroosfc.com.au
3:29:30 PM Thu 6 June, 2002

The AFL has given permission for Kangaroos stalwart Mick Martyn to wear his father Bryan's No. 30 in Friday night’s game against Richmond.

As a mark of respect for Martyn and his seriously ill father, the Kangaroos and the AFL have agreed to the number change. Martyn will wear No. 30, not his usual No. 4, and teammate Ben Robbins, who normally wears No. 30, will wear No. 1.

“The Kangaroos made a formal request this morning and given the fact both Mick and his father have made outstanding contributions to their club and the game, we are happy to support the request,” AFL football administration manager Rod Austin said on Thursday.

“We also understand that this is a difficult time for the Martyn family and we hope this gesture helps in some way.”

Bryan Martyn played 73 games for the Roos and won the club best and fairest in 1957. He has been ill for several weeks but his health has deteriorated in the last few days.

Mick Martyn has been a club legend and he is also a best and fairest winner (1989 and 1999). He will play his 275th game on Friday night.

Feel good story from the AFL!

Have to disagree a bit with the story about Mick changing numbers on Friday night. As much as it is a nice gesture and a mark of respect. With no disrespect to the Martyn's and their cause. The AFL will do anything possible to generate some good publicity about themselves and that is the spin they would have taken with this. They know that they've ostracised the supporters, especially, North, with the delay of the hand out and the general perception that they don't want us in the competition. So this is as good an excuse as any to try and generate a few brownie points. For me it doesn't wash. Don't forget that they let the Duck wear No. 40 to celebrate Mazda's 40th birthday! It's obviously no big deal to change numbers if that is the benchmark. Don't believe the hype!

Re: Feel good story from the AFL!

Originally posted by Chemicalbrother
Have to disagree a bit with the story about Mick changing numbers on Friday night. As much as it is a nice gesture and a mark of respect. With no disrespect to the Martyn's and their cause. The AFL will do anything possible to generate some good publicity about themselves and that is the spin they would have taken with this. They know that they've ostracised the supporters, especially, North, with the delay of the hand out and the general perception that they don't want us in the competition. So this is as good an excuse as any to try and generate a few brownie points. For me it doesn't wash. Don't forget that they let the Duck wear No. 40 to celebrate Mazda's 40th birthday! It's obviously no big deal to change numbers if that is the benchmark. Don't believe the hype!
It is not to do with sponsorship, Chemicalbrother. You will find that it is Bryan Martyn's dying wish for his son Mick to don the number 30 jumper before Bryan dies from cancer.

Show a bit of respect for the guy please.

Re: Feel good story from the AFL!

Whats the hype ?

The Roos need to ask permission. Permission was given

lets not read anything into it or give reason for others to do so. The latest thread about Paranoia against the club ended up talking about Font Sizes and Which way people swing. I'd like to think that such an emotional and serious topic as this could do without such comments

RESPECT

Suzi,

A few key words:

"As much as IT IS a NICE GESTURE and a mark of RESPECT. With no DISRESPECT to the MARTYN'S and THEIR CAUSE."

I just think there are a few under lying tones, I was simply reading between the lines! At no point did I say it was for sponsorship, I was merely stating that the benchmark for changing numbers wasn't real high. Matbe this gesture will raise that somewhat!

Re: RESPECT

Suzi,

A few key words:

"As much as IT IS a NICE GESTURE and a mark of RESPECT. With no DISRESPECT to the MARTYN'S and THEIR CAUSE."

I just think there are a few under lying tones, I was simply reading between the lines! At no point did I say it was for sponsorship, I was merely stating that the benchmark for changing numbers wasn't real high. Matbe this gesture will raise that somewhat!

but you did say

They know that they've ostracised the supporters, especially, North, with the delay of the hand out and the general perception that they don't want us in the competition. So this is as good an excuse as any to try and generate a few brownie points.

which is a little bit more than raising the benchmark for players changing numbers. Suggesting that the AFL would use such a situation as a publicity stunt or something is just a liiiiiiitttttle bit in bad taste (though you did make an interesting point about the Wayne Carey No 40 issue )

we probably should just let it lie here

Re: Re: Feel good story from the AFL!

Originally posted by Ausgard

The latest thread about Paranoia against the club ended up talking about Font Sizes and Which way people swing. I'd

Did it?

Re: Re: Feel good story from the AFL!

Originally posted by suzi_olsen

It is not to do with sponsorship, Chemicalbrother. You will find that it is Bryan Martyn's dying wish for his son Mick to don the number 30 jumper before Bryan dies from cancer.

Show a bit of respect for the guy please.

Forgive me for trying to second guess you Chemicalbrother, but I think you are trying to suggest that while it is a great gesture on Mick's and the Club's behalf, it's no big deal for the AFL to approve it. They've done it for sponsorship before, so it should be no real problem to approve number changes for any reason, particularly something like this.
I don't think Chemicalbrother is downgrading Mick's and the Club's motives, more saying the AFL shouldn't take too much credit for approving it.
Is that accurate?

Second Guess

Windsock, thanks for the support, at least someone understood what I was saying, I didn't think anyone was gonna work it out! I guess us Makepeace fans have to stick together. Check out my reply in the 'Ottens Out' thread!

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL approves Mick's request

Remove this Banner Ad

Back