AFL Cairns - 2011 Season Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hear there's a coach from down Melbourne way looking for a gig. Maybe there's an opening for him in Cairns.

Well there is still a few senior coaching jobs up for grabs, just hope there is the influx of players coming into cairns afl league next season as I have heard there has been quite a few departures, I personally think it would help football in cairns to have a team join the NEAFL to get out name on the map, and for more players to come up and play footy up here, that healthy competion on playing for your local club and having a cracking season to have the insintive to get a contract to play state football the following season,

Well there is still a few senior coaching jobs up for grabs, just hope there is the influx of players coming into cairns afl league next season as I have heard there has been quite a few departures, I personally think it would help football in cairns to have a team join the NEAFL to get out name on the map, and for more players to come up and play footy up here, that healthy competion on playing for your local club and having a cracking season to have the insintive to get a contract to play state football the following season,

So you're saying your recruiting isn't working so you require help?

Saints have had some good applications from down South. I heard one withdrew his coaching application when he heard from one of the other applicants (a friend of his) and preferred to play under him than to coach. Neither knew the other had applied.

So I hear.

Saints have had some good applications from down South. I heard one withdrew his coaching application when he heard from one of the other applicants (a friend of his) and preferred to play under him than to coach. Neither knew the other had applied.

So I hear.

I must admit Saints usually do get some great applications for their club, whether it be for players or other positions
Good word of mouth goes a long way

Hi All,

What is the standard of footy up north nowdays? I grew up in cairns for about 5 years as a young fella but moved south to Brisbane with my family. I have played in various leagues ranging from Country Vic to QAFL before it become the NEAFL, iread on here that it is very tough to recruit players etc, surely it is very appealing for most blokes that live in Melbourne etc.

Hi All,

What is the standard of footy up north nowdays? I grew up in cairns for about 5 years as a young fella but moved south to Brisbane with my family. I have played in various leagues ranging from Country Vic to QAFL before it become the NEAFL, iread on here that it is very tough to recruit players etc, surely it is very appealing for most blokes that live in Melbourne etc.

life style----------------- yes
fishing--------------------yes
weather------------------yes
females-------------------yes

money they want-------- NO

jobs hard to come by,--- if not a tradie---even then tough

miss family --------------hurts

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Could not agree more Tamba, all those reason are excellent for players to come up and I think the money one is the reason they don't stay on. Players would use the get away as a chance to 'change it up' for a year. Play a bit of footy and just enjoy the lifestyle. Recruiting must be a bitch.

Are you thinking of coming up Goldcoastsuns?

Any light on where these players are coming from Saint? How can clubs even start recruiting if a coach is not in place? Wouldn't all players want to speak to the clubs coach about what the team is about? Must be some great volunteers at these clubs. Any news on the Hawks, Port and Souths coaching job?

Almost always word of mouth, friends of friends type thing. Existing players all ened up being recruiters with their contacts in Vic/SA/Tas.

All of the players have a good time and are happy to tell their friends about it and entice them up here. It's all just networking for work and football.

In terms of money, there are still plenty of jobs going around, for tradies in particular, but a lot of Saints recruits this year were professionals; doctors, dentists, engineers as well as a fair few teachers.

In terms of wanting to know what the club's all about, the culture at Saints extends well beyond the coach, mostly committe driven, but also by the senior players.

Yet to meet somebody who hasn't had a good time and recommended it to others. Some treat it as a working holiday but more than a few Saints have bought houses up here recently.

Almost always word of mouth, friends of friends type thing. Existing players all ened up being recruiters with their contacts in Vic/SA/Tas.

All of the players have a good time and are happy to tell their friends about it and entice them up here. It's all just networking for work and football.

In terms of money, there are still plenty of jobs going around, for tradies in particular, but a lot of Saints recruits this year were professionals; doctors, dentists, engineers as well as a fair few teachers.

In terms of wanting to know what the club's all about, the culture at Saints extends well beyond the coach, mostly committe driven, but also by the senior players.

Yet to meet somebody who hasn't had a good time and recommended it to others. Some treat it as a working holiday but more than a few Saints have bought houses up here recently.

In terms of recruiting still have to say Jason Eagle coming up to play with some mates is the best coup I've seen in my time at footy.. Plays for free then 2 years later is down in Vic playing for 1500 plus a game .....

Also Well done to the Hawks in both seniors and seconds. Great effort to get up in both grades and deserving winners as they were the best 2 teams on the day that matters most.

Nice to see both teams win the flag, and both the coaches jobs are up for grabs, what's going on down at mununda?

I think next season will be interesting with some big movers and big fallers, my top 4 1 saints, 2 centals,3 souths,4 hawks

Nice to see both teams win the flag, and both the coaches jobs are up for grabs, what's going on down at mununda?

If you were anyone of note in the CAFL you'd know the reasoning behind the decisions.

Coach - Family issues, has gone back to Victoria.
Reserves Coach - Has another bundle of joy and has not the time.

Nothing suss, nothing that enables you to "draft" some players.

I think next season will be interesting with some big movers and big fallers, my top 4 1 saints, 2 centals,3 souths,4 hawks

Underdog once again, got to love it behind defending premiers.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yes will be an interesting season going to be hard for you guys to "draft" players without coaches! Wanna get onto that pritty soon, but I'm tipping you's will crawl into the finals next year gonna find it tuff though the next couple of years if the whispers are true and yous are getting booted out of cazalys to make way for the new NEAFL cairns side, to find a new ground, I think personally that has been a big tick for your recruiting having the ground and facility's of cazalys stadium

Yes will be an interesting season going to be hard for you guys to "draft" players without coaches! Wanna get onto that pritty soon, but I'm tipping you's will crawl into the finals next year gonna find it tuff though the next couple of years if the whispers are true and yous are getting booted out of cazalys to make way for the new NEAFL cairns side, to find a new ground, I think personally that has been a big tick for your recruiting having the ground and facility's of cazalys stadium

Why wouldn't coaches wish to coach a team who are Premiers in both grades? As for crawling into the finals, our list is going to be mostly unchanged, unless there are some massive recruitments in the off-season I don't see it changing from 1st to barely make the finals.

No never said you would find it hard to find coaches! Oh ok just heard a few whispers that a few quality players were heading home and a couple trying to seek other clubs? Would like to be a fly on the wall in mununda to see what's really going on!

Why wouldn't coaches wish to coach a team who are Premiers in both grades? As for crawling into the finals, our list is going to be mostly unchanged, unless there are some massive recruitments in the off-season I don't see it changing from 1st to barely make the finals.

Just because your club wins both grand finals doesnt make it a good club to be at. Heard there were a few rumblings between coach and players and might be a good thing he wont be there next year. you might have a good team but if you have a few dick heads playing for you it can be a turn off

No never said you would find it hard to find coaches! Oh ok just heard a few whispers that a few quality players were heading home and a couple trying to seek other clubs? Would like to be a fly on the wall in mununda to see what's really going on!

Do you believe all rumours? haha, believe me there maybe 2 guys gone out of the club. Besides that, same club, bigger and better.

Just because your club wins both grand finals doesnt make it a good club to be at. Heard there were a few rumblings between coach and players and might be a good thing he wont be there next year. you might have a good team but if you have a few dick heads playing for you it can be a turn off

Who are the few you refer too? And the rumblings obviously didn't effect us too much when it counted right?

Ibet there is about 4 maybe more plus a few retirements! Fair play to yous this year you had a good team scouted a few from other clubs did anything it takes then nearly threw it all away at the end, but as I said 4 or more players gone plus a few retirements, still haven't got close to finding 2 new coaches, plus the ground might be taken over end of next season gonna be a few tuff times for hawks ahead, and trust me when your playing out of a ground south of cairns and not cazalys and you claim you don't pay your players see how you'd go then, maybe this is why everyone is jumping ship now??

Ibet there is about 4 maybe more plus a few retirements! Fair play to yous this year you had a good team scouted a few from other clubs did anything it takes then nearly threw it all away at the end, but as I said 4 or more players gone plus a few retirements, still haven't got close to finding 2 new coaches, plus the ground might be taken over end of next season gonna be a few tuff times for hawks ahead, and trust me when your playing out of a ground south of cairns and not cazalys and you claim you don't pay your players see how you'd go then, maybe this is why everyone is jumping ship now??

Gee doggies you must like hearing your own voice or reading your own posts on here with all your comebacks?
What you are saying we heard all before. Each year every club has rumblings, rumours etc etc regarding player movements, coaching appointments. As Tamba said in an earlier post, let the dust settle and see what transpires. Of course players leave clubs but players are also recruited and in Hawks, South’s & North’s case more juniors filter through into the senior playing group. Many players have severed ties with footy for now and concentrating on cricket and other sports.

As has been earlier stated re the Cairns NEAFL side, all local clubs will suffer for various reasons not just Hawks. The $$$ will have to be managed wisely by all clubs. Just look at other comps around Australia in AFL strongholds that have struggled because of this and we are in a Rugby league dominated town / state where the pennies are tight for AFL clubs. Plenty of water to go under this bridge yet if they want to get it right first up. Rugby league (Cairns Cyclones) tried it many years back and it failed and it took plenty of $$$ to get Northern Pride up and going again for them to be successful.

Anyway keep the posts coming as they make for some humorous reading whilst you stir the pot....

Haha you must be on some decent drugs right? But let's be serious, you say 4 or more are leaving. I have spoken to ALL the main core and none have left, and the others I don't believe would be going. If you're referring to the reserves as well then I don't know and you maybe true. Sounds like you're a little scared of the Brown n' Gold if you're banking on us losing the ground and all out players. It really couldn't be that hard to recruit decent players to the club, could it?

But remember we were predicted to come 4th this year, came 1st. We were predicted to go out in straight sets, then made the Grand Final. Predicted to get spanked in the Grand Final and we won. Keep predicting, it goes well for the Brown n' Gold.

Could not agree more Tamba, all those reason are excellent for players to come up and I think the money one is the reason they don't stay on. Players would use the get away as a chance to 'change it up' for a year. Play a bit of footy and just enjoy the lifestyle. Recruiting must be a bitch.

Are you thinking of coming up Goldcoastsuns?

Any light on where these players are coming from Saint? How can clubs even start recruiting if a coach is not in place? Wouldn't all players want to speak to the clubs coach about what the team is about? Must be some great volunteers at these clubs. Any news on the Hawks, Port and Souths coaching job?

im always interested in playing in different competitions, if i remember when i was a young fella in cairns the facilities at both South Cairns and Manunda were outstanding, who won the Premiership this year?

im always interested in playing in different competitions, if i remember when i was a young fella in cairns the facilities at both South Cairns and Manunda were outstanding, who won the Premiership this year?

Manunda Hawks in both Seniors and Reserves :thumbsu:

They still are,

Souths are getting new club premises (Similar to Gazaly's set up), in place of the can bar & old visiting change rooms / toilets. will take about 12 mnths to build, with new facilities for visting clubs

Centrals have a new change room for visiting teams & umpires, but on the oposite side of the fields, whilst they stayed put next to the bar, the lighting is no where near up to full standard

The juniors of both clubs Hawks & Souths enjoy your visits up here, bring some mates up next time with ya & let them be more star struck.

Doggies, i have heard both positions are vacant because of personal reasons. Amatuer leagues are affected by this considerably.....

Plugg3r can you confirm this?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back