AFL Cairns - 2011 Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Watsons - What is going on with Kane's clearance, it has been denied twice.

Read the article about this weeks game in the paper, both coaches don't seem worried about the result and will look to their 'arrivals' to get some touch. Looking at Port's clearances in and their aren't many names on there, anyone eye catchers playing this week? Saints on the other hand have a few, did they play last week and if so how'd they go Lachrilly?

What other games, besides the girls... are being played at Cazaly's this weekend? Would love to see Centrals put out their full side.

I don't know if it's completely true but have been told that AFL Cairns won't be posting and future transfers on their website. This to avoid other clubs poaching players from the intended club.

Have only heard. :)

So do you mean players were appearing as pending and other clubs were going after them before the clearance was completed? Bit of a low act isn't it?

You would think that with a final 4 system, and these two clubs (Port and Saints) looking like they'll make the finals pretty easily based on last year's form and no other team appearing to close the gap that perhaps this will be the last time for a while they'll have a lot on the line, they'll have a pretty good go.

Especially Port would be wanting to win after the final last year and get some ascendancy back over the Saints. Plus $1000 is a pretty good incentive for small football clubs.

I think the coaches were playing it down but both would be trying pretty hard to win this weekend.

So do you mean players were appearing as pending and other clubs were going after them before the clearance was completed? Bit of a low act isn't it?

You would think that with a final 4 system, and these two clubs (Port and Saints) looking like they'll make the finals pretty easily based on last year's form and no other team appearing to close the gap that perhaps this will be the last time for a while they'll have a lot on the line, they'll have a pretty good go.

Especially Port would be wanting to win after the final last year and get some ascendancy back over the Saints. Plus $1000 is a pretty good incentive for small football clubs.

I think the coaches were playing it down but both would be trying pretty hard to win this weekend.

That's apparently what was happening Saint. But I couldn't imagine any AFL Cairns clubs doing that would they???:p

I have to agree, of course both clubs would still like to have the win under their belts.

Hey Watsons, what's happening over at Watsons Oval? I think you guys should invest in a bloody big Wet Vac. I see the junior games scheduled for there on sunday have been moved to Holloways.

Saints had a good win vs Port on saturday. Saints were missing a few key players. Does anyone know if Port were 2? Port looked a little off, not sure if they were trying some new faces or structures as Hocking said in the paper. Saints looked pretty good though.

Saints seemed to be trying a bit harder since there are many new faces, perhaps they were playing for positions in Round 1.

With a few out due to come back in, it will be a fairly strong reserve team which runs out on Saturday.

What did you think of the girls game? I thought they had a bit more of a crack than I thought they would. First game of women's football i've seen.

One thing I noticed is that the better players tend to tackle and have more strength through the hips, while the lesser players tried to tackle with the arms and hands without any force behind it.

Saints had a good win vs Port on saturday. Saints were missing a few key players. Does anyone know if Port were 2? Port looked a little off, not sure if they were trying some new faces or structures as Hocking said in the paper. Saints looked pretty good though.

I had a chat with Port's Ressie coach last week and he told me they would be missing 6 or 7 players.

Pretty average game between the crocs and saints, it was pretty hot out there so the boys looked pretty tired early. Unfortunately the league looks to have declined. I missed the games last week but if the Grand Final was between the 2 strongest sides, I hope the rumours are true that each side has a few to return for the sake of the league.

So do teams have different ways in which they receive compensation from the league? I thought that AFL Cairns/Cazalys just managed the bar facilities and gave the club a cut from that (Cutters?). Or do they just hand out lump sums and ask for it to be returned through revenue raised....

Pretty average game between the crocs and saints, it was pretty hot out there so the boys looked pretty tired early. Unfortunately the league looks to have declined. I missed the games last week but if the Grand Final was between the 2 strongest sides, I hope the rumours are true that each side has a few to return for the sake of the league.

So do teams have different ways in which they receive compensation from the league? I thought that AFL Cairns/Cazalys just managed the bar facilities and gave the club a cut from that (Cutters?). Or do they just hand out lump sums and ask for it to be returned through revenue raised....

Good win by the Saints in very hot and humid conditions... You will find Saints have a fair few to come back in as do the Crocs..
saints had 3 players who had never played AFL before and having 8 on the bench enabled both sides to reward players who have done the preseason who will be reserve players throughout the yr...
thought Hooker at chb was the standout for the crocs and the result would have been a much larger margin if he didnt play.
When crocs lost a man via a yellow card the margin blew out and showed the importance of being a disciplined side no matter how important the game is...

Round one starts this friday night, how about some tips?

Here are mine:-
Hawks by 10 goals
Centrals by 10 goals
Saints by 10 goals

Dunno about the margins, but looks a reasonable trifecta.

The Hawks are very quite in the pre season, dunno what they are up to, but they have picked up a fair few new boys, and from what the RSL boys tell me they did a raid on the NT last week and picked up a few very good ones, unsure, surely the "X" factor this year.

Centrals, well, again, they have shown us nothing so far, do they have the 5-6 that they claim are coming?? At 1st glance they will need them, BUT, never write off the fact that they can recruit thru the coach??

Saints, well, they are as they are, the benchmark! Would expect them to get better as the year goes, when they see what they are up against, the recruits will come as required!! Top pick, and by plenty!

Port boys, well hopefully they get over the off season rubbish and produce some great footy like last year, word is they have struggled to recruit to cover their losses, but also heard they have picked up Relton, and Tim Karp is bringing another 2-3 from NT, so I will not write them off at all!

The Tigers, they look a very well oiled machine under Kane, and good on em, plenty of young kids gettin a run, a bit like the Hawks the last few years, enthusiasm is great, experience is better, expect these guys to cause more than 1 upset during the year, good on em!

City Lions, only heard they may struggle, lack of numbers doesnt help, hopefully they can recruit, retain what they have, and be competitive during the season, and have something to build on for next year.

The Cutters, ah the cutters, gotta hate em, gotta love em, more exposure than Prince William in FNQ so far, looking to build on a good crop of youngsters, with a few recruits, will be solid enough, cant see any major upsets to the top sides, but all the best to Chris and Lance, stick tight boys, you deserve some success.

Thats how me and the bouys at the RSL see it, good luck to all teams this year, and lets get some entertainment back into AFL Cairns!

Hawks by 10 goals
Centrals by 10 goals
Saints by 10 goals

* Couldnt agree more, i think this week will be a show case of the comp leaders for 2011. I dont think hawks / lions margin will be that great as players still to come from what my plumber mate told me but i think Saints will end speculation about the tigers being a threat this year. Stand by my comments while standing having a beer. Kane Rickter is probably one of the best footballers in the league and the tigers need him to compose their young inexperienced players, without him..... going to be ugly.

Saints..... they keep getting the players who play a very discipline style of footy and clubs in 2011 would go no worse than to copy their brand of footy. Big tip for me is the down fall of centrals, the dogs will go from bad to worse based on the grumbles coming out of the beaches already! Expect a mid season walk out....

Port well, i dont think they can play the big games and think there is too many scars from last year. It hurt and watching the gf grand final, the margin didnt reflect the real damage which was the way saints ran them right into the ground. Take a bit to get back to level ground. Wish them well as 2011 looks like a one horse race!

Good Luck everyone in round one!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I agree 100%, both coaches would be silly to think anyone was buying those comments. After such good battles during 2010, the mental edge is worth every dollar and to know behind the scenes at port, they were def trying to win! But i think, having bumped into a couple at the iron bar on weekend, its going to be tough to over come the edge sainters have over them!

What are peoples thoughts on presidents using Big footy as a way to shoot bullets over other clubs fences??? Think ethically its not quite right.....

I agree 100%, both coaches would be silly to think anyone was buying those comments. After such good battles during 2010, the mental edge is worth every dollar and to know behind the scenes at port, they were def trying to win! But i think, having bumped into a couple at the iron bar on weekend, its going to be tough to over come the edge sainters have over them!

What are peoples thoughts on presidents using Big footy as a way to shoot bullets over other clubs fences??? Think ethically its not quite right.....

BigFooty should be kept for plain harmless banter. It's no place to have a crack at other clubs. And to be honest i seriously doubt that anyone associated with a club would no anything about whats going on at other clubs. Having a crack at clubs does nothing but waste page after page on here. Lets stick to the footy side of things.
This week
Hawks 10 goals
Centrals 10 points
Saints 4 goals

Anybody who takes anything on BigFooty seriously is a buffoon. Who would care what an anonymous (perhaps 12 yr old girl, who knows) says on an anonymous forum?

It's a step below yelling something over the fence at the game in terms of importance.

My tips,

Hawks by 5 goals
Souths by 5 points
Saints by 5 goals

The key to Saints discipline is the depth at the club. Failure to commit to training or discipline will pretty quickly end you up in the twos no matter who you are. That's the benefit of having good numbers. It all starts at training well before the games start.

Collo I asked the question last week on how people on this forum perceived a "stand alone club" the question was raised because it seems people believe some clubs get more hand outs then others... As I know it Cazalys with the backing of AFL cairns "Manage" social clubs on behalf of football clubs and certain monies are then fed back to the football club. It is a business plan that allows clubs to do what they do "Football" and Cazalys do what they do " Run successful social clubs" the money raised from this association is therefore not a hand out as such, but revenue raised. Hope this helps..:)

Hawks by 10 goals
Centrals by 10 goals
Saints by 10 goals

Geez Mate, was 10 the lucky number?:p lol

Here is my kiss of death :eek: -

:eek:Hawks by 6 Goals
:eek:Centrals by 4 Goals
:eek:Saints by 6 Goals

I hope it cools down enough this week while all the players are slogging their guts out.

Saint said:
It's a step below yelling something over the fence at the game in terms of importance.

I think the only thing lower than that is hiding behind an alias, posting absolute rubbish about a hard working bloke and not being man enough to put your name to it.

Don't talk ethics, your previous posts show that you don't know what the word means. At least if someone is standing on the sidelines shouting they are man enough to show their face. You're just a coward.

Good luck to all you boys working hard for your clubs this weekend, I think Hawks, Centrals and Saints will get over the line while Tigers will show that they are keen as ever to work hard and be competitive, Souths will show they aren't gonna be pushovers this year and the Lions... well we will have to wait and see.. hopefully its not as bad as it sounds on here.

I hope it cools down enough this week while all the players are slogging their guts out.

Just reading on the daughters face book, there is a minutes silence and candle tribute to young Finno on Friday nite, good on ya Hawks,

Just reading on the daughters face book, there is a minutes silence and candle tribute to young Finno on Friday nite, good on ya Hawks,

You read right mate. Round one is a tribute to the memory of Josh Finegan. We would all who knew him, or even didn't know but knew of him or is associated to Cairns footy to be there. Some things are bigger than the game itself.

RIP Finno#16

I think the only thing lower than that is hiding behind an alias, posting absolute rubbish about a hard working bloke and not being man enough to put your name to it.

Don't talk ethics, your previous posts show that you don't know what the word means. At least if someone is standing on the sidelines shouting they are man enough to show their face. You're just a coward.

Well said, if you are going to be gutless, name someone & then slag off at them then grow some balls & name yourself.

Hard to go past everyone else's tips of Hawks, Centrals & Saints although would love to see Souths & Norths cause upsets.

Bring on the Season & some great footy from every club.

gazing into my wine glass, the clouds lifted & foretold

Hawks to win

Souths in a tight one

Saints but not all their way

Four clearances to Port from the NTFL in the last day or so. Guess they had to wait until the GFs were finished for the transfers to come through.

Looks like they'll be tough to beat again this year.

No Territory pick-ups for other teams so far, just waiting on paperwork or did Port get the jump on the other teams?

Relton Roberts is on his way to Port. Excellent result for the club and the league! Those few recruits could very well be the difference between scraping into the 4 and September glory.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back