AFL Cairns - 2011 Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Which do you think is more likely:
a)whoever made that up from Trinity Beach simply made it up himself?
b)A player told his mate that, despite it not being true, just for a laugh?
c)somebody from Trinity Beach was a bit p/o the guy left for no other reason than the quality of the people and so made up that figure
d)there's a player out of the juniors who got a sign on fee of $1000 and $500 per game while the Saints pay $100,000 in player payments per year.

Place those in order of which is more likely.

I think everyone involved at any club in the league knows the Saints don't take in $100k per year. They don't have a home game for the first month of the season and have no pokies or permanent bar.

Even Tamba and Flintstone who choose to believe these fantasies would have to admit that $100k is a ridiculous amount to be spending on players.

what that Saints don't pay players :p

stop spruiking the line & I'll get over it LOL

Whats the problem with clubs spending money... it's a ridiculous topic.. all clubs have different dynamics.. some clubs need to spend more than others just to field teams.. and you can normally only spend what you have.. i congratulate clubs who have more than others, because more probably than not they have got of there butts and earned it..at the end of the day there all trying to buy premierships.... and if the young fella at SAINTS was getting THE BIG BUCKS, good on him.. It's a tough world and only the strong survive, Though i don't think that would be true about the figures posted, but it does make good reading,, a bit of crap goes along way:thumbsu:

what that Saints don't pay players :p

stop spruiking the line & I'll get over it LOL

Tamba you seem to be the one driving these claims of player payments and yes it is hard to believe they don't, however it is tangible. I think Watsons is on the money when he says 10 premierships in 18 years can make a huge difference. Success breeds success. If you were going to move to Cairns with the intention of staying 12 months, which most do. Why not play for a side that will give you a good chance of winning a flag. Saints have managed to keep their biggest stars at the club for a number of years now which is a good base for a premiership tilt every year and I personally believe attracts player to the club. Walsh, Kennedy, Martin, Powell, Coatsworth and Couch thats a pretty handy base.

If you know this is happening Tamba:thumbsdown: I think its time you started to back your claims with facts. Who are Saints paying? By now, you would have surely heard rumors and could name at least a couple who they are dishing all this extra cash out too????

I'm sick of hearing about this flogged dead horse now! So i'll move on.

Watsons how are the boys looking this week? Do you think they can turn it around? Any more players to make a return this week?

Great to see some fun banter this week about the comp, personally couldn't care if some clubs are cashed up & trying to buy a flag but I am sick of hearing comments about "we dont pay our players". I take my hat off to Clubs that can attract quality players at minimal cost & outgoings who just want to play hard & fair with a great bunch of guys & hopefully go onto the finals & win the flag.
I have no involvement with Saints however have to wonder what the secret of their recent success is because they are certainly doing something right. Last years G/F was a classic example of 22 blokes wanting it more than the opposition & doing it in style.

Tamba you seem to be the one driving these claims of player payments and yes it is hard to believe they don't, however it is tangible. I think Watsons is on the money when he says 10 premierships in 18 years can make a huge difference. Success breeds success. If you were going to move to Cairns with the intention of staying 12 months, which most do. Why not play for a side that will give you a good chance of winning a flag. Saints have managed to keep their biggest stars at the club for a number of years now which is a good base for a premiership tilt every year and I personally believe attracts player to the club. Walsh, Kennedy, Martin, Powell, Coatsworth and Couch thats a pretty handy base.

If you know this is happening Tamba:thumbsdown: I think its time you started to back your claims with facts. Who are Saints paying? By now, you would have surely heard rumors and could name at least a couple who they are dishing all this extra cash out too????

I'm sick of hearing about this flogged dead horse now! So i'll move on.

Watsons how are the boys looking this week? Do you think they can turn it around? Any more players to make a return this week?

I'm sure they will bounce back, there seemed to be genuine disbelief at how bad they played (not taking anything from Saints). I think we will win comfortably. In the other games I reckon Saints will win a close one and Port will trounce Souths. I am one who believes that the premiership race has only 3 horses, and Port are only in it because they are unknown. I expected Centrals to beat Souths easily last week, and the fact that they struggled says to me that maybe the Dogs aren't as good as some thought, myself incuded. Time will tell. Souths still have too many names in their senior side that should be winding down their careers in the 2s, and although they have picked up a few, can't see them threatening. I know the season is only one week old, but i see the top 3 (hawks, saints, port) having some great contests, the middle 3 (Norths Dogs Souths) likewise, and Cities, well......gonna be a long year

Saint, I think you and many of the Saints are missing the point. It's not the ridiculous comments about 16 year olds getting $500 a game, or even the total amount being paid to the entire playing group which as we know is just rubbish. It's that you guys continue to spruik that you don't pay any players at all, which you repeated again in your comment above. It's bordering embarrassing for you guys as we all know at least a couple of players first spoke to other Cairns clubs and when they called back they would say thanks but Saints have offered me a better deal. No one cares, or at least they shouldn't how much money is involved, but just give up with the whole, "we dont pay players" spiel and people will stop mocking you.

What would you expect them to say? "Sorry, I've decided to spend my year up here playing for a club which is likely to win the flag, despite you paying me weekly, I'll take my chances on incentives at a club I'd prefer to play at." Bit of a mouthful.

Just easier to say "They offered me a better deal" I bet they never said 'more money'.

As has been quite rightly pointed out, it doesn't matter either way. All that matters is results on the park.

This time it was not brought up by one of us, but some moron claiming a 100k player payment for the club including 10k to one player. Those rumours are bad for the club and certain players and shouldn't be left unquestioned, although I hold up this forum as the rightful place for dubious information.

What would you expect them to say? "Sorry, I've decided to spend my year up here playing for a club which is likely to win the flag, despite you paying me weekly, I'll take my chances on incentives at a club I'd prefer to play at." Bit of a mouthful.

Just easier to say "They offered me a better deal" I bet they never said 'more money'.

As has been quite rightly pointed out, it doesn't matter either way. All that matters is results on the park.

This time it was not brought up by one of us, but some moron claiming a 100k player payment for the club including 10k to one player. Those rumours are bad for the club and certain players and shouldn't be left unquestioned, although I hold up this forum as the rightful place for dubious information.

you_mad.jpg

What is the issue if a player is paid or receives incentives? Are clubs bound to a salary cap?:confused:
Every bush, suburban league has had the same issues for years and will continue for years to come. If a club is cashed up and wants to spend the money on players then so be it, they have not broken any law unless there is a cap in the Cairns comp? Sure no one likes to see sides try to buy a flag but it is a fact of life these days.
As we all know in recent times Cutters and Port tried it and it back fired, Saints do it and have had success.
My opinion is if you have the loot to spend in the first place then as a club you must be doing something right.

Let's move on...

P.s NO i do not have links to Cairns Saints or support them but i do admire their professionalism:thumbsu:

Port - 10 goals +
Saints - 6 goals
Tigers - 5 goals
Centrals - 4 points on the ladder for sitting back and relaxing.:confused:

Bing, there is no salary cap in AFL Cairns. There is however a point system in place that each club needs to abide by. Maybe someone can explain the point system, it's too bloody complicated for me.

Probably the stupidest thing I've heard in a long time.

Your mates who talk that rubbish at school should probably stop.

Tamba et al, you need to stop biting every time sombedoy says something stupid like that, it just encourages them.

Club budgets are fairly open documents, I would think 100k would be hard to keep off the books or to be put under miscellaneous. The league probably has a copy of each clubs budget too. Not that they could do anything about it, but it would soon become common knowledge.

They pay performance incentives (to others than the coach and asst coach) per game and they total up to less than $1000 a week, as far as I know.

There is one coach and one asst coach and a reserves coach (who I don't know if he is or isn't paid). The coach is also a major sponsor.

If it were true that they were paying some players that much, the half of the team that I know personally aren't getting paid wouldn't be happy. The other half, I don't know them well enough to say they're not.

This 'argument' is pointless. The only reason Tamba, Flintstone and others buy it is because they're trying hard at their own clubs with money and everything else and are still being beaten by a club which doesn't pay players.

Believe it or not, because at the end of the day all that counts is the scoreboard.

Just so there is no illusion, I am not on any club committee and am just a lover of Australian Football.

Yes Saint I do agree that a junior being paid that much money sounds a little ridiculous. However if a club came up to one my boys I'd tell them to take it. I have to agree with Up the Middle, comments were made on last years forum regarding payments and it was clearly stated that Cairns Saints don't pay players. That to seems a little ridiculous to myself and others. I think the point is this, deep down people don't really care if you pay them or not. But to make a statement saying they don't pay at all and give out incentive payments sounds a bit silly. Paying out "Incentive Payments" is still a form of paying players. I also agree with a previous comment, Prior to lat season I was talking to a Saints player about possibly making a move for the 2010 season, but at the last minute we were told that he was offered a better deal to stay at Saints. What this included, I do not know. I asked but the player wouldn't elaborate on what the better deal would be or was.

As I have already said, I don't give 2 shits what Saints do but just wanted to put the facts straight. :cool:

With all that said, let's all whinge about something else. Will the administration of AFL Cairns ever improve???:p:p:p

Just so there is no illusion, I am not on any club committee and am just a lover of Australian Football.

To further add, I'm not on any football committee either

If some from Saints / others keeps saying it I WILL have fun repeating the line. :eek:
I couldn't care less if you don't want to hear it. STOP Spruiking YOU DON"T PAY PLAYERS
I don't give a rats A, if you do or not. :p
I do not have to justify why I say what I do, if you don't like it don't read my blogs very easy you know :rolleyes:

if you take this forum serious you need a complete change of life :D

My kiss of death this week

Souths just
Saints 4 goals
Norths 8 goals

The paying players, umpires and admin crap has been done to death.
With no big gun full forwards this year who do we think will lead the goal kicking.Maybe Pittorino from Hawks must be a chance. Poyner from Saints is more of a CHF so doubt he will kick bags all the time. The top teams will have a nice spread of goalkickers this year with maybe 70 being enough to win it.
This week
Port by 10 goals
Saints by 5 goals
Norths by 5 goals

You just aren't getting it are you Saint. STOP spruiking that you DONT PAY PLAYERS and we will stop reacting to it! I know two. One you are paying his rent and another is on $150 a game and half awards! Now can we move on and just accept that yes they pay players, no we don't care, but just stop saying you don't to make the rest of the teams in the comp look like they cant even catch you by paying when you dont. Right that's the last you'll hear from me on the matter!

Now to the reall stuff:

Port by a thousand
Tigers easily
Saints comfortably

(Log in to remove this ad.)

When I moved up to Cairns I didn't know anyone. Wanted to play footy so had a look, 3 clubs offered decent cash and one didn't, they found me a job (more important), helped with my transfer (removalists and house) and had a netball club for the missus to play at. Financially, it was nothing compared what the other clubs offered.

I did my research as I didn't want to make the wrong choice and become a club hopper within a league. Some people don't care about money, they just want to enjoy it.

When I moved up to Cairns I didn't know anyone. Wanted to play footy so had a look, 3 clubs offered decent cash and one didn't, they found me a job (more important), helped with my transfer (removalists and house) and had a netball club for the missus to play at. Financially, it was nothing compared what the other clubs offered.

I did my research as I didn't want to make the wrong choice and become a club hopper within a league. Some people don't care about money, they just want to enjoy it.

There was only one club with a netball side until this year so I guess we all know who that was. Anyway, will be having a close look at the team lists tomorrow to see if the NT boys have made it over for Port.

agree geegrimey and plus if you played footy for money you would stay in Vic and get paid a lot more than any of the cairns clubs up here can offer if you were good enough.

This weekend should see Port win easy, Noths have an easy win and saints have brought back 3 high quality players so hopefully the talk of Hawks having heaps out isnt true because if they do Saints will win by a mile..

I see there's no footy write up at all in today's Post? That's a backwards step surely. Last year they gave us a colomn with a review of each game and an interview with someone from within, do we know if they have dropped us cold or did they forget?

I see there's no footy write up at all in today's Post? That's a backwards step surely. Last year they gave us a colomn with a review of each game and an interview with someone from within, do we know if they have dropped us cold or did they forget?

Agree with you there Teamwork. It's almost as though and god forbid, Rugby League has taken over the Cairns Post.:eek::eek:

It seems a bit tame. There isn't enough newsworthiness in the sport.

Every coach has said 'we hope to do ok, we don't know what will happen'. Makes for boring copy.

The biggest arguments here are about if Saints are or aren't doing something that they're allowed to do anyway, or if a couple of recruits aren't Mother Theresa.

We need to drum up a bit of controversy. Some big rivalries. Somebody from Norths said Souths were a bunch of backwards hicks and Port Douglas don't want to travel further than the Barron because it's beneath them. Stuff like that. If your coach is asked a question encourage him to be outlandish, get our inches back.

Race for the goalkicking, get that up and going. Somebody go to another club and steal some netballers or something.

You just aren't getting it are you Saint. STOP spruiking that you DONT PAY PLAYERS and we will stop reacting to it! I know two. One you are paying his rent and another is on $150 a game and half awards! Now can we move on and just accept that yes they pay players, no we don't care, but just stop saying you don't to make the rest of the teams in the comp look like they cant even catch you by paying when you dont. Right that's the last you'll hear from me on the matter!

Now to the reall stuff:

Port by a thousand
Tigers easily
Saints comfortably

Now, now upthemiddle - Port by a Thousand?? Come on mate, it costs nothing to be nice (and you don't get paid to be nice).:p

Agree with you there Teamwork. It's almost as though and god forbid, Rugby League has taken over the Cairns Post.:eek::eek:

Though it was proven AFL is the more prominent sport in Cairns via the radio the other week. We might have to start our own internet write up for the AFL of Cairns if they arent going to get of there ass and do it.

The paying players, umpires and admin crap has been done to death.
With no big gun full forwards this year who do we think will lead the goal kicking.Maybe Pittorino from Hawks must be a chance. Poyner from Saints is more of a CHF so doubt he will kick bags all the time. The top teams will have a nice spread of goalkickers this year with maybe 70 being enough to win it.
This week
Port by 10 goals
Saints by 5 goals
Norths by 5 goals

Lachrilly, my comments regarding Admin at AFL Cairns was said with tongue firmly planted in cheek. I also might add that I expected someone to comment and you didn't let me down Champ. Further more, I hope the umpiring improves this week.

If there is a story at your club, let the paper know about it. I think that's how half of their stories come about, rather than them going to look for them.

Popular football stories in the past:
Fathers playing with sons,
More than 3 brothers playing together
Recovery from illness/crash to play again
Game milestones of 300 or above

Was Manunda's score the highest kicked in many years? That could have been a story, 70 odd scoring shots has to be some sort of record, perhaps just for the club?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back