AFL Cairns - 2012 Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Checked the scores of the QLD boys and I'm afraid to report, they've been hammered in every game and didn't even score against Victoria, not even a solitary point. That's what happens when you have a guy like Couch in a state team.
Walsh hasn't kicked a goal yet in 3 games. He kicks big bags against the weaker teams, but am trying to think, did he kick many against Port the past couple of years? Or Hawks last year? How many did he kick against Souths & Centrals before that?
I know we all say he can play, but against tough opposition I don't know if he's all that. In cricket terms, he's a flat track bully.
I don't understand your point? Should he try to kick less goals when playing on young players or should he say no to playing for QLD? Unless you think somebody's better than those guys, theyre the best QLD has to offer. It's not their fault there's no better players in QLD. Yesterdays game where hawks beat manunda showed how important Walsh and gill are to saints, as they would be at every other team in QLD. Losing to Vic was always going to happen. One of hawks best players yesterday was a guy too old to play in those leagues.

I don't understand your point? Should he try to kick less goals when playing on young players or should he say no to playing for QLD? Unless you think somebody's better than those guys, theyre the best QLD has to offer. It's not their fault there's no better players in QLD. Yesterdays game where hawks beat manunda showed how important Walsh and gill are to saints, as they would be at every other team in QLD. Losing to Vic was always going to happen. One of hawks best players yesterday was a guy too old to play in those leagues.

Who was that old-timer?

Really Saint? You dont understand my point? Wow. Ok I'll spell it out, again. Walsh is over rated, and Couch shouldn't be in the state team.And if Walsh hasn't kicked a goal in 3 games, then he shouldn't be in the team either.

Don't get ahead Of yourself regards best players on QLD. It's the QLD country team.. there aren't many country leagues in the sunshine state. Not a big pool but fact that Daniels coached up here helps.

How many top line Saints were out yesterday Saint? a 67 point flogging must fire a warning shot to your egos?

How many top line Saints were out yesterday Saint? a 67 point flogging must fire a warning shot to your egos?

I think I heard there were nine starters out yesterday, three forwards, three mids, and three backs. Fair whack of a team out there, but in saying that I went and had a look yesterday and thought the side the saints had were just well and truly out played by a much stronger and harder running hawks outfit. The saints won't be that weak for the rest of the year and the hawks are as strong as they will get so I think the finals may provide some excitement after all.

Some interesting games this week

1 v 2
Saints v north cairns
Be interesting to see if Saints regroup and really make amends from last week
This is a chance for Ricters men to send a message!
SAINTS to win
4 v 5
Cutters v Crocs
Cutters win and they go 2 games clear in 4th and if Crocs win they sneak into top 4 on percentage.
CROCS to win
6 v 7
Bulldogs v Lions
From reading posts this will be Adams debut in a lions jumper against a team he was supposed to join!
Expect plenty of feeling with pride on line
LIONS to win

I think I heard there were nine starters out yesterday, three forwards, three mids, and three backs. Fair whack of a team out there, but in saying that I went and had a look yesterday and thought the side the saints had were just well and truly out played by a much stronger and harder running hawks outfit. The saints won't be that weak for the rest of the year and the hawks are as strong as they will get so I think the finals may provide some excitement after all.

If they had 9 TOP LINE players out, meaning that ALL 9 are automatic picks every week, then no wonder they were hammered. Hawks were far superior in every part of the game and I knew they had a few out as Saint just were just a shadow of themselves from earlier efforts.

Have the Saints peaked too early?? Will they struggle to find the same form? Who knows, but missing Gill and co is a big loss.

Lincoln Withers and Pittorino must be 100 between them! Withers is some kind of player.

If they had 9 TOP LINE players out, meaning that ALL 9 are automatic picks every week, then no wonder they were hammered. Hawks were far superior in every part of the game and I knew they had a few out as Saint just were just a shadow of themselves from earlier efforts.

Have the Saints peaked too early?? Will they struggle to find the same form? Who knows, but missing Gill and co is a big loss.

Lincoln Withers and Pittorino must be 100 between them! Withers is some kind of player.

Just got a few names still out of the saints line-up they include Kelly, Leriges, Johns, two Couchs plus the fellas playing country week or whatever it is called. So some key players amongst them. Not making excuses for how they played on the weekend because from the performance of the hawks on the weekend they will take some stopping, but just something to think about.

Just a question will Norths make any sort of a stand come finals or are they just making up numbers? Not really making statements like they were early in the year.

Lincoln is a good friend of mine.
Just know where to get the footy and on that left foot is lethal forward of centre.
Good to see a quality player like him playing in this league

I went to the game on Saturday as an interested onlooker and came away inpressed with the Hawks. From the first bounce to the final siren they never allowed the Saints to get any cohesion or fluency into their play. Hawks pressure was very good, their attack at the ball unsettled Saints.
Saints didn't help their cause in the second quarter with their kicking for goals. I spoke to a couple of people from Hawks and Saints and was told that each team had 5 and 11 players missing respectively.
We've been told all season that Saints have good depth and that was put to the test on Saturday and they came up short. Obviously the players that where missing will make a big difference so it will be very interesting come finals team now.
Agree with Dontargue about Braybon, no influence on the game at all.
From results on the weekend with North Cairns losing to Port could we see a Saints and Hawks playing off again....

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Braybon wasn't Robinson Crusoe in having a bad game for the Saints. It was more the unsettling of the side perhaps that affected performance. There were lots of players playing in positions they hadn't played in for most of the year. There were 10 out by my last count, 8 changes from the week before, two out through injury (Kelly & Liriges) (which most clubs have), 5 with the rep team and 3 were unavailable (Gill, A Couch and Dixon). That's not including the 2 or 3 fringe players who were also unavailable/injured. The Reserves had a few guys that hadn't played in a while, but luckily had the depth to still field a good side, an Irishman the star.

Neither side was particularly defensive minded through the middle, hence the abnormally high number of total scoring shots. Hawks were obviously a hell of a lot better than they have been earlier in the year.

Withers was great at the stoppages, but limping early and hobbled off in the last quarter, I think that's going to be a regular part of his game with his age.

If Saints and Hawks both beat Norths, it will mean Norths finish 3rd and face Port again in the first week of finals. Would be a shame for them to go out in the first week of finals after their strong start to the season. Disappointing for them to lose with Richter and Tennick in the best.

Another interesting week this week. The Hawks v Saints rivalry may be back at the fore.

Really Saint? You dont understand my point? Wow. Ok I'll spell it out, again. Walsh is over rated, and Couch shouldn't be in the state team.And if Walsh hasn't kicked a goal in 3 games, then he shouldn't be in the team either.

Don't get ahead Of yourself regards best players on QLD. It's the QLD country team.. there aren't many country leagues in the sunshine state. Not a big pool but fact that Daniels coached up here helps.

You're the only one spruiking Saints as unbeatable, Dontargue.

As for Walsh being over-rated, he kicked 2 and 4 respectively in the only two games QLD won at the carnival. He's the best Full forward in country Qld according to the selectors and he's definitely the best in our league. If you think there's somebody better in Cairns or country Qld, then you could call him over-rated, but you're saying he's over-rated compared to what? The VFL?

Your choice of name is interesting Lukascheats, and the way you dub others (mobility, size) is also an enlightening topic ;) . Hearing your piercing voice from the bar gave it all away on Saturday. May I ask why no one stayed around for a beer after the game? Saints pride themselves on at least having 1 drink at opposition clubs and love it when the favour is returned.

I hope all the youth in the area is well.

Well played Saturday.

Braybon wasn't Robinson Crusoe in having a bad game for the Saints. It was more the unsettling of the side perhaps that affected performance. There were lots of players playing in positions they hadn't played in for most of the year. There were 10 out by my last count, 8 changes from the week before, two out through injury (Kelly & Liriges) (which most clubs have), 5 with the rep team and 3 were unavailable (Gill, A Couch and Dixon). That's not including the 2 or 3 fringe players who were also unavailable/injured. The Reserves had a few guys that hadn't played in a while, but luckily had the depth to still field a good side, an Irishman the star.

Neither side was particularly defensive minded through the middle, hence the abnormally high number of total scoring shots. Hawks were obviously a hell of a lot better than they have been earlier in the year.

Withers was great at the stoppages, but limping early and hobbled off in the last quarter, I think that's going to be a regular part of his game with his age.

If Saints and Hawks both beat Norths, it will mean Norths finish 3rd and face Port again in the first week of finals. Would be a shame for them to go out in the first week of finals after their strong start to the season. Disappointing for them to lose with Richter and Tennick in the best.

Another interesting week this week. The Hawks v Saints rivalry may be back at the fore.

Bit premature are we not ?????????? :D

Souths currently holds 4th & 1 game clear of PD :p

One game behind Hawks
Two games behind Norths

Not saying anything , but PD are not in the top 4

Don't start counting chickens prematurely :rolleyes:

Raced over to Holloways after the dog show on Saturday, got there just in time for the start of the 3 rd qtr. Lions will win a game I can see it happening, Souths were pushed, good running across the backline by them. some very nice clean passages of play. we had the ball in our square, they stole the pill, fed it down field in the blink of an eye and slotted a team goal.

Again one man wearing my favorite colour and I've brought it up before, he should be sacked or someone in the league take him aside and teach him the rules , he is hopeless as an umpire, the others had a bad half day as well from what I saw ( no I did not have a beer all day was Driving myself )

No, just over rated in general Saint. He is a very good full forward, not denying that. But, how many goals did he kick against the strong team of the past four years?He is very much a flat track bully kicking big bags against ordinary opposition. I know he hardly kicked a goal V Port in fact I think he was kept goalless by their full back at least once. I know he didn't kick many against Hawks last year.
QLD only won the one game in the championships.

And Saints, with their team as loaded with talent as they are, at full strength, are unbeatable. Well at least they should be.

No, just over rated in general Saint. He is a very good full forward, not denying that. But, how many goals did he kick against the strong team of the past four years?He is very much a flat track bully kicking big bags against ordinary opposition. I know he hardly kicked a goal V Port in fact I think he was kept goalless by their full back at least once. I know he didn't kick many against Hawks last year.
QLD only won the one game in the championships.

And Saints, with their team as loaded with talent as they are, at full strength, are unbeatable. Well at least they should be.
They won two games. Beat WA during the normal fixtures. Then beat them again in the 5 v 6 playoff. I suppose Walshy kicking 6 on their state full back in two short games was him being another flat-track bully?

Tamba, sorry I forgot about Souths, but since Port beat Norths I thought they would be more worried about Port. Interesting to see the result of this weeks' game. Port are in good form.

I don't have any stats, but you could look at how a person plays in finals to see if they're good in the big games. How did he go in 2008 and 2009?

They won two games. Beat WA during the normal fixtures. Then beat them again in the 5 v 6 playoff. I suppose Walshy kicking 6 on their state full back in two short games was him being another flat-track bully?

Tamba, sorry I forgot about Souths, but since Port beat Norths I thought they would be more worried about Port. Interesting to see the result of this weeks' game. Port are in good form.

I don't have any stats, but you could look at how a person plays in finals to see if they're good in the big games. How did he go in 2008 and 2009?

I'll ask again, how many did Walsh kick against Port the past couple of years? Or against Hawks last year? How many did he kick against teams that didn't finish BOTTOM in the carnival? (I can answer that last one for you - 0!)

Obviously a close game between Souths and Lions. From all accounts the Lions took it up to the Cutters.

Port give Norths a touch up at the Croc Pit.

And in all fairness to the Saints they did have players missing. However, I think Hawks exposed their lack of depth.

An interesting jostle for 4th spot this week between the Cutters and the Crocs.;)

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL Cairns - 2012 Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Back