AFL Cairns - 2012 Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Lions took up to the Cutters with the Cutters not having it all their own way.

Hawks beat Saints, but in all fairness to Saints they did have players missing. However the Hawks did expose their lack of depth.

Port toppled Norths at the Croc Pit. Not a happy hunting ground.

With 4th spot up for grabs this week, it will all go down to who wants it the most.

Tips this week -

Souths in a tight one over the Crocs
Saints will be too hard for Norths at full strength
Lions to have their first win this season

;)

Matt was a Wangaratta Rovers boy but played at Redan with Kennedy and Walsh before he moved to Cairns... Rumor has it that he could be a chance to be back at Griffiths oval in 2013

So if he was best for carnival, he'd be a Wangarratta Rovers boy, not a Saints lad. To claim all players that have played for Saints as your own would be a mammoth task given you've had a massive turnover of players that have come through your club like it was a revolving door over years.

So if he was best for carnival, he'd be a Wangarratta Rovers boy, not a Saints lad. To claim all players that have played for Saints as your own would be a mammoth task given you've had a massive turnover of players that have come through your club like it was a revolving door over years.
Dontargue, used to enjoy your posts but now think you talk crap! And your trolling is s#!t!! You have obviously only lived in cairns for two years if you are judging Matt Walsh on 2010 and 11. Those years were both cut short by injuries. He managed to play in the two grand finals but was about 40% in both. If you remember 10 against port he had an injection to play the semi and couldn't even kick. He had groin surgery straight after the grand final. And last year broke the tarsal bone in his foot and only returned on gf day after a long lay off.
Any great forward is going to kick smaller bags against the stronger teams because they obviously have better defensive units and plans. Every now and then it won't be the case but more often than not it is. This does not make someone overrated or a flat track bully. Matt kicked goals against some of the best country players Australia has to offer that makes him a great player. He is 32 years old, he has represented VIC COUNTRY once, and Queensland 3 times. I'm sure his game is most likely slowing down as age catches us all. He is and always will be a cairns league legend.
What have you achieved???

Well the VCFL website says Matt Dwyer was the rover for the ACFC all-australian team. And Dyer was the player of the comp. I thought one might have been a typo, maybe it is?

He's an ex-saint. I never said home grown or anything like that.

Dontargue, used to enjoy your posts but now think you talk crap! And your trolling is s#!t!! You have obviously only lived in cairns for two years if you are judging Matt Walsh on 2010 and 11. Those years were both cut short by injuries. He managed to play in the two grand finals but was about 40% in both. If you remember 10 against port he had an injection to play the semi and couldn't even kick. He had groin surgery straight after the grand final. And last year broke the tarsal bone in his foot and only returned on gf day after a long lay off.
Any great forward is going to kick smaller bags against the stronger teams because they obviously have better defensive units and plans. Every now and then it won't be the case but more often than not it is. This does not make someone overrated or a flat track bully. Matt kicked goals against some of the best country players Australia has to offer that makes him a great player. He is 32 years old, he has represented VIC COUNTRY once, and Queensland 3 times. I'm sure his game is most likely slowing down as age catches us all. He is and always will be a cairns league legend.

:confused: in YOUR opinion maybe & couple others,

but not in my or some others book , good player yes but NO Legend, far from it

and nice to see you back trolling these pages Quag.

Quagmire I remember he and Eagle bagging 100+ each and have seen all of Walsh's time up here. My comment, repeated yet again, was that in the past couple of year against a strong Port side and Hawks last season, he was far from the player you all make him out to be. He was held goalless a couple of times and only kicked big bags against weaker teams. I will also repeat, again, that he only kicked goals against the bottom team of the carnival last week. And again, he is a good player no doubt, but far from the 'legend' you make him out to be - and he's over rated in my opinion. I'm sure he doesn't lose sleep over my opinion, but its my opinion none the less.

If what you say is correct, then for him to play in the Grand final first game back after a long lay off through injury, is pretty selfish to say the least. How long did he have off before that game?

I think what Tamba is eluding to is that there have been many players we have seen over the years that would have the honor of being labelled Cairns legends before Walsh.

A guy who averages nearly 6 goals a game in 100 games up here has to be right up there. And to say he has been kept goalless a couple of times,well im pretty sure every full forward to have played the game has been kept to donuts a few times in their career.This is the first year i have seen Walsh fit with him probably missing half a season in each of the past 3 seasons. so lets see if he stays fit and see what he does come finals cause no other team have someone like him and all teams would love to have him.

Norths are second and have come the closest to Saints with Walsh playing and he's kicked 6 and 8 goals in each of those games. The basis of your argument is on a handful of games over the past 2 years which he's been injured for the most part.

In the closest games this year, he's done the job. The next closest game to those Norths games would've been Centrals when he kicked 11.

Any team in the country would take a full forward who kicks 7 goals a game against the second best team.

Norths are second and have come the closest to Saints with Walsh playing and he's kicked 6 and 8 goals in each of those games. The basis of your argument is on a handful of games over the past 2 years which he's been injured for the most part.

In the closest games this year, he's done the job. The next closest game to those Norths games would've been Centrals when he kicked 11.

Any team in the country would take a full forward who kicks 7 goals a game against the second best team.

In a team that averages over 20 goals a game with an average winning margin of 130 points, you would expect your full forward to be averaging plenty per game! In a competiton that's been as weak as ours this season with the difference between Saints and the rest so far apart, of course a spearhead is going to kick bags against 2nd & 3rd.

What have you achieved Quagmire?? I didn't know there was a prerequisite to have an opinion? You have yours & I have mine. What are the qualifications that all of us on here must have before we allowed to comment on anything or anyone? Should we all state these qualifications before you so that you can tell us whether or not we can proceed in taking part in this forum?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Saints legend at least. How many premiership medals and goalkicking awards? I'm sure he's not fussed that Dontargue thinks he's over-rated and Tamba doesn't think he's a living legend.

Thesaurus

Noun.
65719-legend.png
legend -

a story about mythical or supernatural beings or events

and he isn't one of those

You are just very critical of a few players who are good footballers. I thought you may have been a very established country footballer who has achieved a lot or perhaps you have played in the big time??
It's fine to have an opinion, and I have mine but I have really achieved nothing compared to many in our league, so it's hard for me to say players are overrated. Unless I have achieved more than them?? Just sayin...

You are just very critical of a few players who are good footballers. I thought you may have been a very established country footballer who has achieved a lot or perhaps you have played in the big time??
It's fine to have an opinion, and I have mine but I have really achieved nothing compared to many in our league, so it's hard for me to say players are overrated. Unless I have achieved more than them?? Just sayin...

Over rated means just that, that the way Saints people speak of him far out weighs how good he actually is. He is a good player, I've never disputed this, but he is not a legend by any means. I've seen a lot of footy over many years and in my opinion, a gun full forward kicks big bags in losing games & against great opposition. I've seen plenty of full forward that can kick bags against weaker opposition and have people raving over them.

To say you need have achieved more than someone before you can have an opinion of them is senseless. What of the players in the AFL you are not sure of? Ever had an opinion on any of them? That's what forums like big footy are about, opinions.

Who else have I been critical of Quagmire? I honestly can't remember if I have. Generally speaking I'll give an honest assessment of how I see a player or a team.

Matt Walsh teaches my son, I wish he would stop trying to coax him across to Saints.

:confused: in YOUR opinion maybe & couple others,

but not in my or some others book , good player yes but NO Legend, far from it

and nice to see you back trolling these pages Quag.
Totally agree. Norm Miller would be considered a legend or Bill Reed or Rogerkamp.

In a team that averages over 20 goals a game with an average winning margin of 130 points, you would expect your full forward to be averaging plenty per game! In a competiton that's been as weak as ours this season with the difference between Saints and the rest so far apart, of course a spearhead is going to kick bags against 2nd & 3rd.

What have you achieved Quagmire?? I didn't know there was a prerequisite to have an opinion? You have yours & I have mine. What are the qualifications that all of us on here must have before we allowed to comment on anything or anyone? Should we all state these qualifications before you so that you can tell us whether or not we can proceed in taking part in this forum?

I watched game against Cutters and he wasn't as accurate as one would have thought.

Can we please remember Walsh is right at the end of his career and has still averaged 7.7 goals a game after having a groin and ankle op last year... People with any idea rate him and that's all that will matter to Walshy... He played Vic Country at his peak and Vic Country just showed over the last week that QLD footy isn't close to that by not even scoring against them.
Also looking at the photos from the weekend because I couldn't be there myself did Glen Martin have a pillow under his jumper or is what they say about the camera adding 20kgs true??

Couch???????

Yes Couch, don't rate him as a second tier player. But I am sure I haven't been overly critical of any good players.

And Dr I am sure there are a few on here that have a an idea, and most agree, Walsh is over rated so just deal with it. Not going to bite re your Marto comment. Tit for tat tells me you're a kid so leave the grown up talk to the grown ups, ok little fella.

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL Cairns - 2012 Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Back