AFL Cairns - 2012 Season

Remove this Banner Ad

So
Went to Cazaly's today and the ressies was a very scrappy game. The umpiring was ordinary to say the least. However the Hawks boys held on for a win.

Hawks beat Port in the Seniors. Gribble received 10mins in the last quarter. He took out the Water Cooler and ice and water went everywhere. It wasn't a convincing win but Willie Alick would've had to have been BOG. Glen Martin also put in a solid performance. One other thing, geez the bloody wind was cold.:eek:

Souths defeated Centrals 33-18-216 ---to----- 4- 3- 27

Umpiring ordinary & we had two of the better ones

Goals were spread around to 6-7 scorers, a lot of red paint was left on the goal posts

All as expected at Griffiths park, Saints easily the best team in the comp as we all know & if they had kicked straight it would have been a lot worse. But the arrogance of the Saints senior team never ceases to astound me. The sledging, wingeing & lack of respect for the umpires was over the top as usual & hard to understand when you are winning by 20 goals! Several times the Saints players stood there, waving their arms around arguing with the umpire & not returning the ball to the opposition, a 50 should have been paid numerous times. It was like "how dare you pay a free kick against us, dont you know we are Saints, we run this comp..."

All as expected at Griffiths park, Saints easily the best team in the comp as we all know & if they had kicked straight it would have been a lot worse. But the arrogance of the Saints senior team never ceases to astound me. The sledging, wingeing & lack of respect for the umpires was over the top as usual & hard to understand when you are winning by 20 goals! Several times the Saints players stood there, waving their arms around arguing with the umpire & not returning the ball to the opposition, a 50 should have been paid numerous times. It was like "how dare you pay a free kick against us, dont you know we are Saints, we run this comp..."

Thats highly UNUSUAL of them to show arrogance to a weaker side

I agree with you in part Cairns City Lion. The Saints seemed to whinge a lot more than usual yesterday....normally the Saints aren't THAT bad. But jeez the umpiring was of a poor standard and although I was standing on the sidelines, it was quite frustrating to bear at times. So can't imagine how the players were feeling and I suppose it made a few players crack. Both teams lacked discipline at times during the game and this is something that the Saints will need to rectify come finals time.

Well if Saints were having a go at the umps and not giving the ball back quickly enough then the ump would have given 50m then, so it couldn't have been that bad. I have been one to stick up for the umps but yesterday was the worst i have seen in both grades all season. Cities may have improved but they had 2 people sent off and were giving cheap shots all day so if that continues then they might aswell go back to square 1.

Typical Saints reply, the cheap shots started when a senior Saints player whacked one of our young blokes in a pack & of course our guys took offence. But I agree the umpiring was incredibly frustrating, led to quite a cynical game & we just gave as good as we got. Saints seemed more than a bit miffed that the Lions actually matched them for the first quarter & tried their usual bully boy tactics to intimidate the umpires. It was bad enough to warrant several 50's but the umpires lost their nerve & struggled to keep control.

As for our club's improvement, the Lions have come a long way this year with an excellent coach, a tireless committee & a lot of old City boys coming back to the club providing a good atmosphere around the place. Plans in place for next year will hopefully see us play finals for the first time in a while....

Typical Saints reply, the cheap shots started when a senior Saints player whacked one of our young blokes in a pack & of course our guys took offence. But I agree the umpiring was incredibly frustrating, led to quite a cynical game & we just gave as good as we got. Saints seemed more than a bit miffed that the Lions actually matched them for the first quarter & tried their usual bully boy tactics to intimidate the umpires. It was bad enough to warrant several 50's but the umpires lost their nerve & struggled to keep control.

As for our club's improvement, the Lions have come a long way this year with an excellent coach, a tireless committee & a lot of old City boys coming back to the club providing a good atmosphere around the place. Plans in place for next year will hopefully see us play finals for the first time in a while....

Hear, hear. The Lions deserve a bit more credit then you give them.

This week's kiss of death.

Souths to beat Norths at Fretwell
Port to flog Centrals
Hawks to account for the Lions

;)

Norths easy in both
Port easy in both
Hawks easy in both

Who is everyones pick for the league medals
Seniors- B.Powell,N.Gill,W.English
Reserves - N.Ryan, C.Stewart, J.Wilkie

Norths easy in both
Port easy in both
Hawks easy in both

Who is everyones pick for the league medals
Seniors- B.Powell,N.Gill,W.English
Reserves - N.Ryan, C.Stewart, J.Wilkie

Interesting you picking Dubya for the league medal,
a few weeks ago most on here said they would not have him in their top 15.:rolleyes:
Bill always polls well even whilst we have been at the blunt end of the ladder

Powell great chance , think a few will take points away from each other at Saints

I'll go out on a limb here, the winner will come from either Norths or Saints, probably Norths, reasons as before.

Ressies , Cristo has had a great season (C Stewart) at Souths his last before retirement.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Saint i know you have been seeing alot of sun lately but a Tennick Richter 1-2 is no chance. Someone from Saints will win for sure. I didn't pick English to win it but to come 3rd. He is the only non Saint who hasn't missed many games that could pole in both a losing and winning side imo.

You have to think the Crathern must come from Saints.

There is no one that has taken the league by the throat this year.

Gill should win it, even missing so many games. Walsh shouldn't poll too many as most of his bags are against the bottom teams so he won't steal votes. Powell for Saints is always an honest performer and will poll but he's more of a plodder and not a game breaker. Powell for Hawks is always a good choice but hnt has the year he had last year, even thought the competition is a lot weaker I still don't think he'll get enough to win it.

My tip is it will be a low count and anyone could snag it, but the favorite would be Gill.

Watched Salisbury North v Broadview here in Adelaide (my newphew plays for S N) today

Thought our umpires were bad

These........ Well......

well what is a head here ???
Two speckies disallowed ...... Deemed in the back as they climbed.and they were fantastic screamers

The man holding the ball was given the free if the attacker was on his knees
That. Was the call by them loud and clear to all.

The players & crowd actually swore at the umpires...... you needed earmuffs ,..... no penalties given

. & I thought I give ours heaps
Couldn't believe, was stunned

Great game though 3rd v 5th. S N got up

Free entry
Beer was $4 can
Pie $3
Steak Sanga $4.50
Saugage on bread with Onion $2

very reasonable pricing

Great game though 3rd v 5th. S N got up

Free entry
Beer was $4 can
Pie $3
Steak Sanga $4.50
Saugage on bread with Onion $2

very reasonable pricing

Did you have one of each Tamba??? How'd the nephews go? Any chance of getting them to Souths next year??

Souths have done well this year old friend and with a few recruits next year should threaten once again. (this is me eating humble pie after writing them off at the start of the year). That's as good as it gets!

Floggy how is the lad going in the juniors? Why does he not play at Souths? Do all his mates play at hawks??
I

Did you have one of each Tamba??? How'd the nephews go? Any chance of getting them to Souths next year??

Souths have done well this year old friend and with a few recruits next year should threaten once again. (this is me eating humble pie after writing them off at the start of the year). That's as good as it gets!

Floggy how is the lad going in the juniors? Why does he not play at Souths? Do all his mates play at hawks??
I

Had a few cans, a pie and more cans. 9 deg. at the ground, was freezing my b-lls off. Have been away too long, so am a softie as the cold goes.

my nephew will be back playing in the SANFL in 2013, only resting in A1 (Amateur League) this year getting fit again from a bad year with injuries in 2011.

I leave the recruiting to the coach

Holloways Beach this fine Sunday afternoon....the upset of the decade..?!? Lead from go to whoa & made Hawks look ordinary, admitingly they looked a bit flat but Lions stunned them none the less. Lewis another BOG with 8 majors from CHF & great contributions from right across the team. As a betting man, Id have a lazy few quid on Daniel Lewis for the medal, hes been very consistant, no-one taking votes from him & he sticks out like dogs knackers. I still firmly believe he is the best player in the CAFL this year. Look out Tigers & Port, we are coming home with a wet sail......

Great effort by the lions and great reward for Jason Roe
If lewis dosnt win medal this year then put a few on him to win it next year when the pride recruit needed players. In a winning side he could very well do what walsh has done this year

Holloways Beach this fine Sunday afternoon....the upset of the decade..?!? Lead from go to whoa & made Hawks look ordinary, admitingly they looked a bit flat but Lions stunned them none the less. Lewis another BOG with 8 majors from CHF & great contributions from right across the team. As a betting man, Id have a lazy few quid on Daniel Lewis for the medal, hes been very consistant, no-one taking votes from him & he sticks out like dogs knackers. I still firmly believe he is the best player in the CAFL this year. Look out Tigers & Port, we are coming home with a wet sail......

I won't argue with you on Lewis, have said since I first saw him he looked a class above this competition! I'd have him for the medal too if Lions won games. He surely can't win without more than one 3 vote game.

Hawks need to pull there heads in and find some consistency if want to be a genuine finals player. Still think the club may be living off beating a depleted Saints team a few weeks back. There was no system in their play and everything seemed random.

Well done Lions and I for one hope this is the beggining of a revival for the club! Love to see them make finals next year.

You wouldn't think Lions have won enough games or been good enough in the games they have lost for him to win it. He will poll very well with lots of 2's and 1's but not enough to win it. Best player in the comp, possibly can play forward,middle or ruck which makes him one of a kind. Hopefully Cities can retain him for a few years to come and build and hopefully finals are not far off. Now to get Centrals back going well and the comp could be a real close affair in the coming years.

You wouldn't think Lions have won enough games or been good enough in the games they have lost for him to win it. He will poll very well with lots of 2's and 1's but not enough to win it. Best player in the comp, possibly can play forward,middle or ruck which makes him one of a kind. Hopefully Cities can retain him for a few years to come and build and hopefully finals are not far off. Now to get Centrals back going well and the comp could be a real close affair in the coming years.

Well done Lions would never have picked this in a million years.

Now we know they can play, given the right mentalities

Had a few cans, a pie and more cans. 9 deg. at the ground, was freezing my b-lls off. Have been away too long, so am a softie as the cold goes.

my nephew will be back playing in the SANFL in 2013, only resting in A1 (Amateur League) this year getting fit again from a bad year with injuries in 2011.

I leave the recruiting to the coach
Was it a "Vili's" pie??

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL Cairns - 2012 Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Back