AFL Cairns - 2012 Season

Remove this Banner Ad

The glass is always half full with you Tamba,,, Souths were horrible.. didn't kick a goal till the last quarter when Saints changed their side around and moved players up the field... For a senior side not to score a goal in 3 quarters of football is a joke end of story..

I never have a half full glass , it is always half empty Or game days never empty

I said we got pantsed what more do you want me to say about it, dacked, stripped naked,bared our bums, get over it will ya

We had players that kept a star few players down on THEIR scoring in a star studded side and you can't denie that ,so what we scored goals only in the last Qtr a least the lads kicked them if Saints were high and mighty LIKE ,YOU they would have kept us goalless. So why don't you like others do try to to see some positives in a well beaten side and stop slinging mud around our club is going through a rebuilding stage using plenty of LOCAL JUNIORS . They will be a force to reckon with in a short time frame when they mature ,then you will be blowing hot air again bagging them for something different

Tamba! Come on pal theres no defending that score. I read your post and thought maybe you only got done by 70 or 80 points, but 140 points is just more proof that Cairns Saints have the best amateur team in Australia.

Can any of the Saints posters confirm or deny the situation with Alex Carter?

Strong info he was suspended for late night drunken fight in town, then dropped his lip and said if you're going to suspend me I'm just not going to play anymore. And he's been unhappy with where he's playing etc.

Saint? Lachrilly? Dr?

Not real sure on that one. His name was on the ressies board from from i saw yesterday so not sure why he was a late withdrawal. He has had a change of role over the past few weeks and no doubt if he doesnt like where he is playing there a plenty of blokes putting their hand up to take his place.

That sounds about right Lachrilly. The word around is he has cracked it for being dropped.

Unfortunately for the poor kid is that his parents have told him that he's better than everyone else for so long, and have torn strips off anyone who says otherwise, he firmly believes he is a lot better than he actually is and thinks everyone should treat him like a star. No doubt he and his parents will be bagging the club now, and no doubt a few wry smiles will be had by those he and his family have abused in the past.

As you say, there'll be plenty waiting in line to take his place.

Tamba! Come on pal theres no defending that score. I read your post and thought maybe you only got done by 70 or 80 points, but 140 points is just more proof that Cairns Saints have the best amateur team in Australia.

Oh come on where did I defend the score

I already said we were pantsed OR did you not read that !!!!!!!!!!!

Oh forget it, lets see you in future attack other clubs that get done by large scores, there has been a few already, but am knocked over by the deafening silence on those

lets change the subject

are Centrals improving or is it a change in the coaches for them

wasn't the warning out on Alex a while ago buyer beware ???????

Haha.. Tamba I wasn't trying to upset you. I did read you said lets look at the positives, or the bigger picture as you put it. In a hiding of that magnitude there are surely none. When a Team has 47 scoring shots to only 8, I'm sure Saints didn't care who kicked them.

But, it is impossible to gauge any team this year from their performances against Saints. It's like a state league club is playing in Cairns for the year. I think you need to use Norths as the yard stick for how your team is faring this season.

Tough decision Tamba, but obviously the best for the club. Well done Souths.

Hard to ignore the stats written in the article... 290 goals kicked by Saints!!! There's still 7 rounds til end of season. And only conceded 85 goals.

This is best amateur team ever assembled in Australia.

That's a pretty big call Dontargue to say the best ever assembled.

I'm pretty sure there would be a few teams running around in country Victoria, South Australia and WA that might have something to say about that. Teams are only as good as the teams they play and to date the only team to test Saints have been North and they look to be going through a bit of a down period at the moment but I'm sure Norths and Hawks will provide competitive games when they play Saints and make them work for the win.

Don't get me wrong, Saints are a very good team and more than likely will go through the season undefeated and win the flag.

I think the Hawks v Saints clash in a couple of weeks when Rep duties take a fair chunk of the Saints squad will be close. A loss wouldn't particularly hurt the Saints. I don't think it will happen, but it's a possibility, given the Ins for Hawks and the players that will be missing for Saints.

Interesting conclusion that Tamba draws from the game on the weekend. I thought Souths were better the first time Saints played them. The only way Souths won possession was from kick-ins and when they had 3 loose guys in defence. I don't think they won the ball off Saints in their attacking half all day.

Dontargue keeps pumping up the tyres so if Saints lose, he'll say they were talked up all year and dead certainties and if his Hawks happen to win, they'll be miracle workers. It's a win-win strategy. Saints win and he was right all along, Hawks win and they're giant slaying miracle workers and he can laugh in the Saints face. That's why being underdog is easier than being favourites.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Big Sandi, those teams you speak of in country Vic/SA/WA come at great cost, none are an amateur team as Saints are.

Saint you are a long way off if you think I aim for a strategy with my posts. I, like most others, are simply stating the facts. Surely you nor anyone will argue that this team, judged by its recruits and the results to date, is far and away the best team in the competition? The statistics in terms of average winning margins, goals kicked etc are mind blowing! And because of this, your club deserves the standout title of favorites and all the discussion that comes with it.

Big Sandi, those teams you speak of in country Vic/SA/WA come at great cost, none are an amateur team as Saints are.

Saint you are a long way off if you think I aim for a strategy with my posts. I, like most others, are simply stating the facts. Surely you nor anyone will argue that this team, judged by its recruits and the results to date, is far and away the best team in the competition? The statistics in terms of average winning margins, goals kicked etc are mind blowing! And because of this, your club deserves the standout title of favorites and all the discussion that comes with it.

There has been much discussed on here about whether Saints do or don't pay there players. You don't get the quality of footballer up here that Saints have without there being some sort of financial incentive. How that is done whether its through private sponsorship or other means is totally up to Saints.

Can any of the Saints posters confirm or deny the situation with Alex Carter?

Strong info he was suspended for late night drunken fight in town, then dropped his lip and said if you're going to suspend me I'm just not going to play anymore. And he's been unhappy with where he's playing etc.

Saint? Lachrilly? Dr?

For Carter, sounds like a repeat of his time at the tigers, hawks and NOW Saints!

Nice try Trumpeter, there's absolutely no question about Braybon's place in the team.

If you look at how many goals Walsh, Gill, Allan, Macqueen, Braybon and Harkin have kicked as a unit, the forward line is operating beautifully down at the Saints. Defenders can't zone off and if the opposition drop a man into defence, they know they're always going to get a contest from Gill, Walsh or Braybon.

Braybon's contribution is also important (as shown on the weekend) that when Walsh isn't there, he steps into a different role, takes marks and kicks goals. In games with Walsh and Gill both playing, Braybon's presence means an additional tall option.

He's also been a back-up ruckman in all but the last game and was the only ruckman for a week or two (lions game at least), so wasn't expected to kick goals in most games. Since Mulvahill did his knee, he's the only backup for the two ruckmen who have missed about 8 weeks between them this year. Plays the third tall forward to a tea, considering he's got the two best forwards in the competition standing alongside, it's been his work that has allowed them both to be 1-2 on the goalkicking and both realistic chances of kicking a ton.

Saints ruckman for most of the reserves game on the weekend was about 5ft 9. Our young ruck prospects are still only 15-16, so probably have a few years yet to worry about them getting senior game time.

Last year's reserve ruckman is coaching senior Rugby and claims he's taken a lot to his rugby club from how Saints run the show.

I'm not saying your premise was stupid, (it was indeed food for thought) just wrong.

After watching Gascoyne on the weekend, I doubt he'd kick any goals in a forward line with Walsh and Gill in it either.

Its hard to deny that Braybon adds some stability in the middle. Considering he cannot jump and he is a sloth of a man he must be doing something right at the club. Its safe to say, looking over during the breaks, the closest thing to coaching that Powell does is moving a few names around a clip board (which would be hard having a list like saints) while Braybon barks the instructions to the troops. Sadly, team talks are not a stat mate! Like the Philpots (join them together and you still only get half a footballer), Carter, Morrison and Sullivan i think that Braybon and the names mentioned will have medals around their necks at season end but it WONT be because of the contributions of the names above but the standouts like Zacs, Crouch's, Powell, Gill, Bogga and Walsh!

Saints have a great club feel and having been on the end of their wrath on the weekend, i can see that the on field display is a result of the off field performances. Nearly every partner, parents and children come to watch Saints play and i tilt my hat at that very fact! No club has been able to do it and do it as well as Saints.

Gascoyne was ear marked a month ago and turning up on footy day hung over from the night before, his poor attitude and his selfish play lead to his departure. He kicked us a few but refused to dish off and play a team brand! He didnt fit the long term plan nor did he set a good example for the $400 a week purse he took away each game. As i sit on the balcony of fretty park, a shake my head at the close similarities between Gascoyne and one Glenn Bailey who left in the exact same way..... (he was asked to never come back)!

Saints too Strong!
Norths too much for Port
Lions will sadly beat us out there with our boys missing a few!

Interesting opinion. I'd be interested to see how a backline would go if they chose not to man-up Braybon in the forward line. Again showed his worth around the ground on Saturday after Liriges got a slight injury, Saints had the ability to throw him in as a relief ruckman. Every other club in the comp would have Carter, Morrison, the Philpots (didn't play on the weekend) and Sullivan (played reserves on the weekend) in their senior side.

Saints strength is their depth, not the top end.

Is Carter playing anymore though Saint? It's common knowledge now that the kid had the shits with your club and has given up for the year. Is his attitude the same inside the club?

By the way, he didn't play seniors at Hawks when at full strength last season. The players you mention would play at any club this year given the standard has dropped considerably, but not in previous years. I completely agree that your depth is your strength, always has been. But come on, your top end is just dynamite!

Lukascheats - I have to ask about the name? Referring to anyone locally?

Our "top end" goes into the reserves. There were 8 mentioned in the previous post and it only includes one of our backmen, when our back 6 has always been Saints greatest strength, and still is. It allows the midfield a bit more leeway to provide greater supply to the forwards.

Also doesn't include 3 of the top 6 goalkickers in the league in Allen, Harkin and Macqueen two of which were league reps. The premiership will be won by the 22 on the park on the day, not the top few players.

It's a bit silly to say the premiership was won by the top 14 and the rest were passengers. You can only have 18 on the field, and only a few can play on-ball/forward.

Our "top end" goes into the reserves. There were 8 mentioned in the previous post and it only includes one of our backmen, when our back 6 has always been Saints greatest strength, and still is. It allows the midfield a bit more leeway to provide greater supply to the forwards.

Also doesn't include 3 of the top 6 goalkickers in the league in Allen, Harkin and Macqueen two of which were league reps. The premiership will be won by the 22 on the park on the day, not the top few players.

It's a bit silly to say the premiership was won by the top 14 and the rest were passengers. You can only have 18 on the field, and only a few can play on-ball/forward.

Its a fair observation but your backline last year in the granny was your weakest 6 on the park. Adding the Philpotts to that 6 to me says its not any stronger but your strength is definitely within your engine room and your forward line. Poyner did not compliment Walsh well but this year Gill and co seem to work in well and more balanced. Your back 6 are doing far less work than in previous seasons and surely you would have to agree with that, you only have to review your game against us to count our inside 50's against you and you wouldnt have had to use your toes to count either Saint ;)

Your right in saying 18 win a game but in this case i believe your midfield and forward line is far supreme than anyone else that you can carry the players listed. No offence to them but they arent good footballers and if your engine room and forward line were not so dominate, you would fine the twins back in the 2's where they were last year, carter in 2's as he only runs one way and Braybon walking in back play as he would actually have to man up and follow his opponent!

But i dont see you being tested as your top 14 are far supreme!

Powell and Braybon are working very well together. Powell talks about the onball stuff then Braybon finishes off the talk with the forwards. Everytime i have heard them at a match they have spoken well and not stepped on each others toes. The Philpotts are very valuable to the team with their run out of the back half and also they can man up on bigs and smalls which is an advantage. When its said and done if Saints were to win it its these lesser known guys who will be just as important as the ones who get the newspaper write ups every week.

Powell and Braybon are working very well together. Powell talks about the onball stuff then Braybon finishes off the talk with the forwards. Everytime i have heard them at a match they have spoken well and not stepped on each others toes. The Philpotts are very valuable to the team with their run out of the back half and also they can man up on bigs and smalls which is an advantage. When its said and done if Saints were to win it its these lesser known guys who will be just as important as the ones who get the newspaper write ups every week.

Obviously the backline doesn't need coaching cos the ball never goes down there.

If they're back in the two's, presumably you think there are people in the two's that are better than them? Our coaches disagree, otherwise why would they pick them? If you're trying to say our backmen aren't as good as our mids or forwards, that's a different story.

I think our back 6 is the best in the competition and believe me, I've seen a lot of the opposition back 6s. Maybe they're not the best players in the team, but how often do back-pockets win B&Fs (in a team with a % of 300+)?

As for not mentioning the backs, Lachrilly is probably referring to the last few games, particularly last weekend, when there wasn't much reason to talk to them, they barely saw the ball. What do you say to them? "Well done on standing up that end of the ground next to your opponent"?

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL Cairns - 2012 Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Back