AFL Cairns - 2012 Season

Remove this Banner Ad

To imply that the club is only successful due to budget is to overlook the very hard work of the volunteers who run the club and the coaches and players involved. Our club is successful because of that hard work and to represent it any other way is an insult to those people.

Dontargue, since you're a Hawks person, why don't we discuss the biggest story of the year, how the Hawks went from Premiers in 1st and 2nds to a side that is lucky to field a side in the reserves and will be lucky to make the finals in the seniors? The high priced coach is crap and even premiership players have moved to other teams in the comp.

There's not much point trying to pump up the Saints tyres if your team won't even make the finals to do anything about it.

Look, I've tried to end the subject for you twice now, but if you want to go on with it...?

Your call Saint. I have never said Saints rely solely on their budget. I have, in fact, praised there club and said often it should be used as a template for the lesser clubs. I do however, like most, bow down to your ability to accrue money and spend it wisely to work in conjunction with the hard work done by your committee in running things and indeed raising said money.

Re the Hawks position, yes unfortunately the club has slid quite swiftly. Can't say it's due to losing players alone as there is still a dozen or more here from the Premiership. Plus a couple added in, including the coach. Choosing a coach was left far too late. This would have prevented loss of players, and aided in any recruiting obviously.
The coach is a first year coach who is doing his best. No excuses here Saint, just facts like always. Our reserves have been super disappointing with numbers and no doubt things need to be addresse ASAP.
Are Port Douglas in the same, or maybe a worse position given there last two seasons? It's all relative I guess.

Look, I've tried to end the subject for you twice now, but if you want to go on with it...?

Your call Saint. I have never said Saints rely solely on their budget. I have, in fact, praised there club and said often it should be used as a template for the lesser clubs. I do however, like most, bow down to your ability to accrue money and spend it wisely to work in conjunction with the hard work done by your committee in running things and indeed raising said money.

Re the Hawks position, yes unfortunately the club has slid quite swiftly. Can't say it's due to losing players alone as there is still a dozen or more here from the Premiership. Plus a couple added in, including the coach. Choosing a coach was left far too late. This would have prevented loss of players, and aided in any recruiting obviously.
The coach is a first year coach who is doing his best. No excuses here Saint, just facts like always. Our reserves have been super disappointing with numbers and no doubt things need to be addresse ASAP.
Are Port Douglas in the same, or maybe a worse position given there last two seasons? It's all relative I guess.

The reason for the slide is a lack of club culture and even people that are still in Cairns don't want to play there, even last year's GF B&F. It says a lot about a club not being able to keep guys like that.

The players last year barely tolerated each other and the coach from what we've all heard. I'm sure the Hawks will be back next year, they've saved their pennies by not flying anyone over this year, I'm sure they'll splurge it all next year and the same thing will happen all over again.

The reason for the slide is a lack of club culture and even people that are still in Cairns don't want to play there, even last year's GF B&F. It says a lot about a club not being able to keep guys like that.

Saint, the resaon behind last years GF B&F is exactly as you have said, club culture and he didnt fit what we as a club are trying to achieve, thats the 1st response, the 2nd response is quite simple, we have lost some, not all players, from last year due to various reasons, work, uni and retirements, of the 2 local players that have gone, 1 is as above, the 2nd went because he didnt get a game in the senior GF side, full stop!
Yes we were very slow appointing a coach, and that has cost us dearly in recruits, no problem with that, BUT, we were are not in a position to pay what some applicants wanted, nor did some applicants fit the bill that we were looking for, hence a late appointment of a 1st year coach who is trying his best, with limited resource at the minute, and a coach who we will support to the hilt!
We are struggling with depth, of the 22 players from last years 2nds premiership team, we have lost 16 to varying reasons, retirement taking 11, the rest uni, or work, we have done and will continue to play our kids, home grown and brought up thru the ranks, something we are proud of and will continue to do!
Flying in players is a thing of the past, we are building on our local kids, that we are developing thru our junior ranks, past years, over 3-4 years ago, we flew guys in, cost and club builiding/culture does no longer fit what we are trying to build, hence no flyins and the large focus on local kids!
Whilst we may have dropped off on the field, i can assure you all we have not dropped off, off it, we are achieving many goals that we have set ourselves to achieve, we have some players coming over the next week or so, returning players and a few recruits, why are the recruits so late you ask, we didnt have work for them prior, and we dont bring them without work, will we be up to last years standard?? i dont know, but what i do know, is we will continue to promote our home grown kids, and we will continue to build our culture at this club, to a standard that is equal of or better than any in the comp, that is not arrogance, it is simply a target that we WILL achieve, next time we play Saints, or any other club that has representatives on this forum, and you wish to have a beer and get the facts straight from the President, then spare 5 minutes and i will sit with you and give you the honest answers to any questions about the Hawks that you may have, dont bag the club or its hard working volunteers, there is no need for it,
cheers

You see Dontargue, if you bag a club publicly, hard working volunteers will get upset. Happens to us Saints supporters, and happens with Hawks supporters like yourself and Refused Transfer.

Glass Houses.

I didn't mean what I said RT, I was just trying to prove a point to Dontargue, sorry I used you to prove it for me.

Refused Tranfer seems like he's trying to say 'we can't afford flyin players anymore, so we'll run with the we want to play the kids and change the culture'. When in fact the clubs hand is forced and has to do this!

Spin it any way you like, RT. Not all of us on this forum are dills.

The players last year barely tolerated each other and the coach from what we've all heard. I'm sure the Hawks will be back next year, they've saved their pennies by not flying anyone over this year, I'm sure they'll splurge it all next year and the same thing will happen all over again.

The culture at Hawks over the past couple of years has been fantastic. The two players you place your faith in are a kid, who along with his parents couldn't take the fact that he wasn't the centre of the universe at our club and probably isn't as good as their inflated opinions of him. He couldn't make the senior premiership team. When the family left North Cairns all the while bagging that club, committe and coach, we took him in, against the advice of many Tigers people. Then we supported his decision to leave our club after only one season after we had put time into him, only to take him back again once he returned unsuccessful and again scathing of the coaches and club in Canberra. Rather than stick by the club that has done all this for him, he decides he and his family are too good for our club and proceed to move onto t heir third senior club before the kid is 19! We wish him all the best in his future endeavors.

The second you mention, couldn't handle not being told he would not be captain. As his leadership skills weren't what our club needed. He can play, no doubt, but has a forked tongue and in a small footballing community, is a dangerous person to have in your club. Our President could see this, and along with The fact that he has had to spent excessive energy in keeping this player in line for the past two seasons, thought we were better off without him.

The only players not tolerated last season were those who were in it for themselves and are no longer with us now. All got on last year and do again this year Saint. Contrary to what the 'Adams Family' have told you, we are a great club with a great president and committe, and a strong culture.

Sounds to me like Saints are stinging hard from being beaten in last year's Grad Final! Do what you want to us on here saint but we're still the reigning premiers.

The culture at Hawks over the past couple of years has been fantastic. The two players you place your faith in are a kid, who along with his parents couldn't take the fact that he wasn't the centre of the universe at our club and probably isn't as good as their inflated opinions of him. He couldn't make the senior premiership team. When the family left North Cairns all the while bagging that club, committe and coach, we took him in, against the advice of many Tigers people. Then we supported his decision to leave our club after only one season after we had put time into him, only to take him back again once he returned unsuccessful and again scathing of the coaches and club in Canberra. Rather than stick by the club that has done all this for him, he decides he and his family are too good for our club and proceed to move onto t heir third senior club before the kid is 19! We wish him all the best in his future endeavors.

The second you mention, couldn't handle not being told he would not be captain. As his leadership skills weren't what our club needed. He can play, no doubt, but has a forked tongue and in a small footballing community, is a dangerous person to have in your club. Our President could see this, and along with The fact that he has had to spent excessive energy in keeping this player in line for the past two seasons, thought we were better off without him.

The only players not tolerated last season were those who were in it for themselves and are no longer with us now. All got on last year and do again this year Saint. Contrary to what the 'Adams Family' have told you, we are a great club with a great president and committe, and a strong culture.

Sounds to me like Saints are stinging hard from being beaten in last year's Grad Final! Do what you want to us on here saint but we're still the reigning premiers.

Um............what are you trying to say, bro?

Nice honest opinion of the person in question and it's hard to disagree with any of the cyber ink you just placed upon us (smile face).

Match of the round this week comes down to Hawks v Norths at Cazalys Friday night. The night game, coupled with home ground advantage would give the Hawks a bit of a boost, but not enough to get over Norths who rested Tennick and Richter last week and still got the choccies against Souths. Hawks would at least want to get within a few goals, or win a few quarters to get some positivity going again. Last chance for new recruits, of which I see they have a couple of late clearances from NT. Interesting to see if they bother to fly them over for this one. Norths by 12 goals.

Centrals v Saints up at Trinity on Friday night (What's with two Friday night games this week?) don't expect much out of the game. Centrals key players will fly the flag, but their depth will cost them as it has done the last couple of years. Saints by 80, on the big ground under lights.

Lions v Port,

Lions have kicked over 10 goals the last two weeks against Saints and Hawks. Rolling the dice and trying to get a score on the board would seem to be the way to go again, particularly at home, but I think Port will be able to kick a few more and win by 10 goals, though I wouldn't be surprised if this was another close one.

Should matches go the way they're expected, Souths will take 3rd spot this week and Port will go to within a game of Hawks. The battle for 4th between these 3 might come down to %, with all of them fairly close to each other as they round the bend to the final 7 games.

Reserves games won't be a surprise this week. As for the goalkicking, it looks like Walsh will get to the ton well before finals and Gill looks like if he's going to make it, it will be during the finals series.

Has Liddy completely gone, or is he injured? Would be a blow to Norths Premiership chances, he's an elite player in the competition.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Question for Saints supporters

Can or will Walsh kick the record for Cairns AFL & take it from Rainsford

if I remember rightly it is 127 & that was during the season proper from memory ((thats without looking it up as well )

127 by the seasons end is still a big ask and If I had to put my house on it, I'd say he wouldn't, but I'm sure he'll give it a good shake. At the current rate he's going, if he played every game for the rest of the year, he'd just get over 127. If he misses for the rep game (or injury), he'd fall short.

Qld Rep team announced, with 10 Cairns players, 6 of them saints. The list is:
Richter, Walsh, Macqueen, Lewis, English, Couch, Couch, B. Powell, Gill, Mueller.

6 Saints, 2 Norths, a Cutter and a Lion. Probably reflects the ladder.

Play around the middle of July, so if Walsh plays, he'll miss a game in Cairns. I doubt all the Saints will make the final squad (it has to be trimmed from 34 to 25), but there's half the Saints forward line in there.

Lincoln Withers must be almost 40 years old. Back in the day, he was essentially a year round pro footballer between Darwin and country Vic. Clearance says he's going to Hawks. Doesn't make sense to me.

Well done to Billy English on making the QLD Country Squad. I think the Cairns boys will do themselves proud.
:cool:

Tips for this week -

Norths in a tight one over Hawks
Saints to flog Centrals
Port to get up over the Lions
:confused:

A few more last minute clearances on the list. Mostly ins, but the most notable would be Glenn Gascoyne putting in a clearance to head back to Vic.

Puts a massive dent in Souths' hopes of going far in finals. A couple of ins for Port and Hawks over the last week or two, could see Souths the unlucky team to miss finals?

Will be an intriguing race. If Hawks have all cleared players in this week, it won't be an easy game for Norths, particularly if Tennick and Richter are still out.

A few more last minute clearances on the list. Mostly ins, but the most notable would be Glenn Gascoyne putting in a clearance to head back to Vic.

Puts a massive dent in Souths' hopes of going far in finals. A couple of ins for Port and Hawks over the last week or two, could see Souths the unlucky team to miss finals?

Don't write off Souths do so at your peril, another will step up to the square, just watch

Interesting list some go some come,

All the away teams this week

Norths
Saints
Port

a tired draw this round, can see no spark in it

will enjoy the weekend off,
I'm off to Charters Towers for two dog shows

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL Cairns - 2012 Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Back