AFL Cairns - 2012 Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Sorry but I have to ask Tamba, do you think $1 a dimmy is too much?? Maybe if you're eating 40 of them it might be! Maybe you could get a deal in bulk buying??

Sweet undies I was commenting on a something I was told from a Richmond official. They we dirty last year he aid and they wanted to pull out of coming here this year. Hardwick asked them to look into it apparently but they couldn't get out of it.

They cost 18 cents each frozen (brought a huge bag from Campbells Cash & Carry yesterday)
The norm has been 3 @ $2.00

Talk about inflation & carbon taxing LOL o_O

starting to be like MY MATE Sweet Undies (OH NO) shoot me now :D

Nice evaluation
Who are the better players to leave the league from season 2011 and who are the recruits of 2012?
Are there are any players that are yet to show the faces on the field that are signed to clubs in 2012.... I guess you could call them missing in action,

See on the clearances that Chris Adams has returned to Cairns and is now at Cairns City Lions, excellent gain for them on the footy field but not sure he will be the difference between bottom place and finals. He will make a difference to their midfield for next year if he decides to stay around. Does anyone know why he left WA?

Recruits of the year - Hard to go past Gill and Lewis, Mueller is also a great coup for the Tigers.

Saturday night was amazing and the AFL will want to keep this going in what is a traditionally rugby league area. I can not believe that the NRL do not and have not played a game up here.

Saint is right, North Melbourne or the Western Bulldogs would happily sell a game to the Far North, you have to target a team low on attendances and these 2 are on the radar. Outside chances would be St Kilda, Melbourne and to a lesser extent Hawthorn. While we are getting games like Saturday nights and good crowds the AFL will continue to build the game in FNQ.

Hawks v Saints this weekend should be a beauty! QLD country footy this weekend so Saints depth will be tested with Powell, Walsh, Couch and Macqueen all away.

Hawthorn have a long term deal and major sponsorship in Tassie Geegrimey,and lets face it, they are not coming up here! As do North Melbourne in Launceston, so they also out.
Bulldogs have deal selling their home games in Darwin once a year so they're out.
St.Kilda don't need the money and wouldn't give up an Etihad game as they still a finals team, so they're out.
As I said, Melbourne would scoff at any suggestion of coming to Cairns to play a game, because that's just Melbourne. Although if they wan to keep this game alive, someone needs to convince them to change heir mind because they're the only team left that are able, and may need to do it.
Maybe Port Adelaide? Who knows.

The game itself this year was a woeful affair. A very ordinary standard as the commentators bagged both teams all day. The result was great and will leave a lasting impression though.

Hawthorn have a long term deal and major sponsorship in Tassie Geegrimey,and lets face it, they are not coming up here! As do North Melbourne in Launceston, so they also out.
Bulldogs have deal selling their home games in Darwin once a year so they're out.
St.Kilda don't need the money and wouldn't give up an Etihad game as they still a finals team, so they're out.
As I said, Melbourne would scoff at any suggestion of coming to Cairns to play a game, because that's just Melbourne. Although if they wan to keep this game alive, someone needs to convince them to change heir mind because they're the only team left that are able, and may need to do it.
Maybe Port Adelaide? Who knows.

The game itself this year was a woeful affair. A very ordinary standard as the commentators bagged both teams all day. The result was great and will leave a lasting impression though.

Port Power have been here before during the NAB games seem to like it said they would enjoy coming back down the track from my memory
So a chance

Let the GC use one of their home games instead of another giving up one, (I would to be peeved if a game I gave away as a home game advantage was promoted mainly for that states team as this one was)

money should NOT be that much of importance so use your own games GC (I know you'll slam me for this comment)

or ?????? should the main body top up more

for any regional game to away teams ????? if they are really behind bringing forth our game to all and sundry

Food for Thought ;)

I think the AFL does a lot to get AFL footy to rural areas. The area, which is getting all the benefit, must show it can provide the cash and the numbers to keep it worthwhile. Now I know I'm going to cop it for this, but a 10,000 crowd just doesn't cut it. We need to double the capacity. That's the AFL Cairns next assignment. Then get a NEAFL team.

I'll just come out and say it... Cairns will NEVER have an AFL team. So it's not about that, and we must stop thinking its about that. It's about promoting the game up here for ur competition and for AFL support - memberships etc.

I think the AFL does a lot to get AFL footy to rural areas. The area, which is getting all the benefit, must show it can provide the cash and the numbers to keep it worthwhile. Now I know I'm going to cop it for this, but a 10,000 crowd just doesn't cut it. We need to double the capacity. That's the AFL Cairns next assignment. Then get a NEAFL team.

I'll just come out and say it... Cairns will NEVER have an AFL team. So it's not about that, and we must stop thinking its about that. It's about promoting the game up here for ur competition and for AFL support - memberships etc.

Teams in NEAFL are spending approx. $1 million a season between flights and staff along with players

So how can Cairns Afl pay this ????????

That is a fiqure that comes from a team in the NEAFL I have a contact with

I want to see it happen

I'll happily sell my body to get it going up here but that won't last long as a olde man can only last so long

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Good old Chris. What he do this time? Or rather blame? This bloke has been a good joke for all in his time here. What is it, 3 clubs in two years? Count in Nightcliffe and what ever WA club he was at, and it could be 5 clubs in two years!

Quality guy.

Good old Chris. What he do this time? Or rather blame? This bloke has been a good joke for all in his time here. What is it, 3 clubs in two years? Count in Nightcliffe and what ever WA club he was at, and it could be 5 clubs in two years!

Quality guy.
really, that many clubs?!
Don't Nightcliff play over summer so that would be irrelevant.
Do you know the guy to comment on whether he is a quality guy or not

Including finals? 106 excl finals. 118 incl finals.

I don't see Cairns as ever having an AFL team, but they could be a strong 2nd home base for GC who will never have more than 20,000 members from the actual GC. I bet the number of Broncos and Cowboys memberships in Cairns is around 2,000+. That's a number not to be scoffed at when talking about sponsors, if GC could get that many members in Cairns within 10 years, it would be a good result for them. A game a year might be enough to do it.

As for an NEAFL team, I think the people of Cairns will support any team called Cairns. The TV news shows stuff like the women's basketball which gets crowds of less than a hundred. Pride games which get stuff all etc. The problem with a Cairns team is that it will need a lot of volunteers and I can't really see it being one of the existing teams, therefore it will end up taking a lot away from the existing competition. Now definitely isn't the right time. Wait til Cairns is back on its feet and sponsors are easier to come by.

Anyone know what's happening down at the Buchan st ground? The earth moving equipment has moved in, signs on the fence, the shitters in place... I believe initially it was touted as something for the indigenous, but cant remember the finer details.

Anyone know what's happening down at the Buchan st ground? The earth moving equipment has moved in, signs on the fence, the shitters in place... I believe initially it was touted as something for the indigenous, but cant remember the finer details.

Cape York Offices / development ground, accommodation / boarding for the kids during school term / school elsewhere

from memory

Gill, Walsh, Powell, Powell, Lewis, Richter, Tennick.

In no particular order.

I don't think there's a standout this year from what I've seen.

I thought the Coast might bring their Dockers game up here, it'd be consistently the smallest home crowd they'd get(The same amount of Freo people will go if it's in GC or Cairns). It's much more likely to be the home game of a Melbourne club with a bad stadium deal, one of the Etihad clubs.

Going in with a roughy's Clough Norths or Weirmouth from Port. Only seen Weirmouth against us and he has run very well and doesnt have any team mates stealing votes from him. Clough has been a standout and recent form of team mates Ricter (missed a couple with hamstring) and Tennick injury (early in year) will hamper their run but 10 goals from Rokeby, strong games from Holland the round before, Mueller before hand and Liddy early in season i think will make it hard for a medal winner to come from watsons oval. I think it will be really difficult for the winner to come from saints as they are strong all over but Gill and Powell for mind have been amazing players but have to many blokes chipping in stealing votes like Couch, Walsh, Maqueen etc. I dont it will come from us at Fretty, Hawks or Lions. Whats everyone else think?

Hawks v Saints this weekend should be a beauty! QLD country footy this weekend so Saints depth will be tested with Powell, Walsh, Couch and Macqueen all away.[/quote]

Dont think Saints will be tested at all! Saints had an amazing turn out of players at training last week and while watching from Sportsworld, i was amazed at the intensity of their session. It would seem we on the south side have a way to go if we want to match it on the field with a team like saints if the training is a gauge of the standard we need to match!

I will journey and enjoy a overpriced sandwich at Saints this weekend to watch Saints and Hawks..... I think Saints to strong in both grades but hope there is a bit of spice in this game! Think hawks need to be inspired to even get close otherwise its going to a thrashing much like the ashes will be this year!

I think it will be a bunch finish for the medal. The guys from the lower teams won't get many votes in their games against the top sides, while the top sides

Saints had about 10 guys miss a game last match in the reserves, so it's expected that training will be high attendance and high quality for the rest of the year leading into finals. Take the top 5 players out of any team and it's going to be a bit of a change. Hawks have also added 5 since the last clash. I think Saints will still get up, but it won't be like previous meetings (within 6 goal margin). There are some guys at Saints who will be playing for a chance to break into the senior side leading up to finals. Hawks pumped Saints in a similar meeting last year, easily the dark horse leading into finals.

Lions v Souths could be a good game too. Souths are missing English (Qld) and Lock (injury?). The lions seem to play better at home. If they can avoid leaking goals, they might be a fair chance. Still tipping Souths, but only by a handful of goals.

Port v Norths in Port should be good too. Port are much improved from the start of the year while Norths seem to be in a bit of a lull. Perhaps the break will get Norths back to their early season form after some key injuries, but I'm going to tip Port at home. The reserves game should be a cracker too.

Three fairly interesting games this week. Port could put their hand up for a finals berth and Souths could let theirs slip. Hawks can test themselves to see if they're finals contenders with their late imports.

Who are the TOP 5 influential players in the League in 2012............

1. R. Allen
2. Matt Walsh
3. Ryan Matthews
4. Tom Clough
5. Luke Powell

Who is everyone else's????

Cape York Offices / development ground, accommodation / boarding for the kids during school term / school elsewhere

from memory
Yes Tamba, you would be correct. The contract has been awarded and works commenced.;)

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL Cairns - 2012 Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Back