AFL Cairns -- Season 2014

Remove this Banner Ad

Really a day to forget at Griffiths Park yesterday. Saints kept Hawks scoreless in the ressies and for the second week in a row a team played up to 5 loose in the backline to stop Saints which made watching hard to do. If sides are going to contiually do this they 1. Wont win a game again this year 2. Turn supporters off from watching cause it is terrible to watch. On a positive note well done to Cities on getting a big scalp, brings a bit of interest back into the season. Souths and Saints next week shoukd be a real gauge on where both sides are really at
Yes, it wasn't pretty the last time they met. The colts played before the ressies. The club did not allow them to play twice on the same day & playing in colts has precedent. Result was that 1/2 the seniors were ressies (with a bench of 1 or 2) & 1/2 the ressies were old boys. Mismatch known well before the start. Players behind the ball had to happen otherwise it would have been more catastrophic. Hawks don't play like that usually & I'm confident it won't happen this week. However, it'll be a bit of an ask for the lads to compete 4 quarters with Saints.

Last edited:
Last time Hawks played Saints they did the exact same thing as Norths and put 3 or 4 behind the ball to stop Saints scoring and were never going to kick a winning score themselves. But Hawks have improved since then so lets hope that doesn't happen this week.

CCL excuse my cynicism but it's funny how Cities only bring Brennan up for a game against Hawks and Centrals. I would have thought that they would want their best team on the park against whoever they faced.
Your excused :) Unfortunately, he is only available to play on certain dates and they just happen to coincide with games against Hawks & Centrals. We would have loved to have him against the big 3 but it just hasn't panned out that way, yet.

Nobody is talking Saints up like you have been Lions all season. Just saying that without him you will struggle. Saints have struggled without Walsh but not too much since they have played in 7 grand finals in a row with hiim missing most of a season a couple of times.
Some of you people need some comprehension lessons. I have talked up the improvement of our side in 2014, that's all. Read the posts. I haven't said we will challenge for a flag etc, just that we wont win the wooden spoon for the third year running. Its clear we have improved, we sit 4th, have attracted some good players & may well play finals for the first time in ages. We have won more games this year than the last 3 combined. I think that's improvement that we can be proud of. Sure, we still have our bad days such as last sat & the recent Port Douglas flogging but we pushing forward & improving our list. For the past 3 years we have played mainly kids, sorted out the back office & its paying off. Still a long way to go to come anywhere near Saints enviable consistency but its good for the comp as a whole that all clubs become competitive week in week out. So the select few obviously unhappy haters can keep bagging me for "talking us up" but that's what true supporters do through thick & thin....

Some of you people need some comprehension lessons. I have talked up the improvement of our side in 2014, that's all. Read the posts. I haven't said we will challenge for a flag etc, just that we wont win the wooden spoon for the third year running. Its clear we have improved, we sit 4th, have attracted some good players & may well play finals for the first time in ages. We have won more games this year than the last 3 combined. I think that's improvement that we can be proud of. Sure, we still have our bad days such as last sat & the recent Port Douglas flogging but we pushing forward & improving our list. For the past 3 years we have played mainly kids, sorted out the back office & its paying off. Still a long way to go to come anywhere near Saints enviable consistency but its good for the comp as a whole that all clubs become competitive week in week out. So the select few obviously unhappy haters can keep bagging me for "talking us up" but that's what true supporters do through thick & thin....

Indeed

Cities/Lions have made massive inroads to improvement and must be commended they way they have gone about turning things around. It never is a quick fix, it takes time , committee energy and supporters enthusiasm,
hey two :thumbsu::thumbsu: ups.

It will revitalise the club if they made the semis once more

:cool:Well the weather doesn't look good for this round but here's my kiss of death for this week.

Norths V Lions - I expect this to be close but tough game but I think the Tigers will get the cigars are home in front of the Watson faithfull.

Cutters V Crocs - The Crocs have shown that at times they don't travel well and I expect this to be the case again. Cutters for mine.

Hawks V Saints - Twilight game at Cazalys, should be interesting to see how the young Hawks measure up to the Saints this round. But I think the Saints might get up however I think they will come off the ground knowing they have just played a game of footy. In saying all that, I'd love to see the Hawks get up, it would boost their confidence no end.

:cool:Well the weather doesn't look good for this round but here's my kiss of death for this week.

Norths V Lions - I expect this to be close but tough game but I think the Tigers will get the cigars are home in front of the Watson faithfull.

Cutters V Crocs - The Crocs have shown that at times they don't travel well and I expect this to be the case again. Cutters for mine.

Hawks V Saints - Twilight game at Cazalys, should be interesting to see how the young Hawks measure up to the Saints this round. But I think the Saints might get up however I think they will come off the ground knowing they have just played a game of footy. In saying all that, I'd love to see the Hawks get up, it would boost their confidence no end.

North at home , this will put a dent in the Lions hopes , they need to show commitment

Souths at Fretwell as said before Port do not travel well can't see any difference this time around

Saints young Hawks hopefully will learn something to carry thru to the finals

Any team making it into 4th place is really only making up the numbers unfortunately unless something drastically happens

Lions to skip out a game and a half clear in 4th with a solid win, we have a few good players back

Cutters to just get over Port

Saints will comfortably account for Hawks

Agree that the top 3 are very strong but you never know come finals time.....

I hope Norths win to keep the 4th place door ajar.

Cutters - the cracks aren't appearing as yet but maybe someone has good putty or there's a finger in the dyke. Or the players may also I suppose be tighter knit since they're all in the same boat with the suspension of payments.

With the Hawks 2013 b & f and their 2012 rising star now both out for the season, it makes things trying at best & Saints will be a bridge too far.

Great

Cutters - the cracks aren't appearing as yet but maybe someone has good putty or there's a finger in the dyke. Or the players may also I suppose be tighter knit since they're all in the same boat with the suspension of payments.

With the Hawks 2013 b & f and their 2012 rising star now both out for the season, it makes things trying at best & Saints will be a bridge too far.

Great win by the tigers today, in front all day, were challenged hard in the 3rd before responding to win by 6 goals. Surprised by the effort from Cities, such a big game for them after so many years out and they really didn't seem overly interested. 4th spot still up for grabs but great confidence booster for our boys and definitely the best game we've played under Arnfield.

Beaten by a well drilled, hungrier port Douglas team today. They are definitely the best team we've played all year. Big game next week against saints.
Cities are done, well done too Norths. And checking the saints hawks progressive I would suggest the game was closer then what the score turned out to be? Any comments on the game Flintstone?

A game of 2 halves. Hawks in the contest - up by 2 goals at 1/4 time & down by a goal at the main break. The floodgates then opened to the tune of 98 - 3 from there. Injuries to some key personnel didn't help, leaving 17 on the park at the end. Taking nothing away from Saints - too strong & experienced.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Great

Great win by the tigers today, in front all day, were challenged hard in the 3rd before responding to win by 6 goals. Surprised by the effort from Cities, such a big game for them after so many years out and they really didn't seem overly interested. 4th spot still up for grabs but great confidence booster for our boys and definitely the best game we've played under Arnfield.
Lions beaten by a Tigers that just wanted it more, they were very determined & first at the ball all day. To say we were not interested is harsh & not giving due credit to your own teams reversal of form I believe. We were up for it but well beaten by a well organised Norths outfit.

Couldn't believe what I saw last season when at least 3 "people" attempted to charge/bump a player with a dislocated shoulder when he was attempting to leave the field. When a Hawks player sustained a nasty leg injury in the centre square on Saturday, Daniel Liriges immediately called for assistance then consoled the player whilst play continued. The 1st medico on the scene was the Saints physio. After the match, nearly all the Saints players went out of their way to personnally offer their support. My faith in humanity has now been restored by the Saints AFC.

Couldn't believe what I saw last season when at least 3 "people" attempted to charge/bump a player with a dislocated shoulder when he was attempting to leave the field. When a Hawks player sustained a nasty leg injury in the centre square on Saturday, Daniel Liriges immediately called for assistance then consoled the player whilst play continued. The 1st medico on the scene was the Saints physio. After the match, nearly all the Saints players went out of their way to personnally offer their support. My faith in humanity has now been restored by the Saints AFC.

Noticed this as well Saturday. Was great to see from the Saints players and unfortunately does not always happen. Game was a hard encounter played in the right spirit with the only focus the ball. Well done to the young Hawks who have a bright future if they stick together, played very well for a half but couldn't sustain it for four quarters.

Whats this about suspension of payments at South Cairns....... Have they run out of money??

Whats this about suspension of payments at South Cairns....... Have they run out of money??
Player payments have been suspended I believe. Don't know whether they have run out of $ to pay debts as & when they fall due or whether it's a cash flow issue. TB or Bilby may have more info.

Player payments have been suspended I believe. Don't know whether they have run out of $ to pay debts as & when they fall due or whether it's a cash flow issue. TB or Bilby may have more info.

Has anyone thought that the club is falling in with standard practice of paying players at year end as does a lot of teams around Aust. currently do , plus Souths have an end of season trip and the players may want some money for that. Why try to read something into what you have no idea about unless you are on their committee & in the know ?

Has anyone thought that the club is falling in with standard practice of paying players at year end as does a lot of teams around Aust. currently do , plus Souths have an end of season trip and the players may want some money for that. Why try to read something into what you have no idea about unless you are on their committee & in the know ?
Fair enough Tamba. Just going by what a couple of cranky players have said.

all ok can you shed some light on the pay dispute at hawks? Have heard rumours that a couple of valuable key position players arent happy with a few payment related issues

Pretty much as All Ok has said, the young Hawks went well in the Ist Half. They were leading Saints at the end of the 1st term and were only down by 6 points at half time. Saints regrouped during the break and came out firing.

all ok can you shed some light on the pay dispute at hawks? Have heard rumours that a couple of valuable key position players arent happy with a few payment related issues
Sorry Steve, can't assist on this one. Have heard nothing.

Big news out of hawks camp, ruckman cam Duffy out for 8-10 mouths with an nasty ankle injury. Big blow for manunda hawks; moving forward and also a blow for the nq ruckman himself who was having a great year.

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL Cairns -- Season 2014

Remove this Banner Ad

Back