AFL Cairns -- Season 2014

Remove this Banner Ad

I hope Saints win the GF on Saturday. Would like to see the karma bus hit Port Douglas between the eyes for their involvement in the Manunda Hawks affair. I just wish the Port Douglas President and club had come out publicy and supported Hawks.

Just remember Port Douglas were victims in this too. Their players missed out on playing a game, their club has missed out on gate, bar and canteen takings for a week. Port Douglas didn't mean for this to happen and by all reports in media etc, the threats towards the hawks player were made by people local to port Douglas but not associated with the football club there. So for you to say Port deserve the karma bus is a bit rich.

Anyway I am tipping a draw for the big game

All ok, how's that stain looking now? You can bang on you like about Gary Young, the CAFL & the harshness of the penalty but you got it wrong bringing Boxell in & then forfeiting because of this one player. Why you keep backing a grub who has only played 6 games over the future of your whole club is beyond belief. How about the club just delist him, go back to the CAFL & admit you made the wrong call. Maybe then everyone can set aside their egos for the sake of the whole competition, reverse the decision & allow Hawks to play in 2015. No-one wants Hawks out but my opinion is they have to admit they got all this terribly wrong & then start a mediation process.
Thanks CCL, the only stain is the brown one on your chin, mate.

If he has the confidence of the board, players & wants it why should he ???
I heard he was contemplating standing down, after going out in straight sets. If he has confidence of the board and players then why would he be considering standing aside.

Kiss of Death

Saints in the Seniors , hopefully be a great game and close, going down to the wire

Port in the Magoo's , was the better team all year, they were just waiting for this

In the AFL

Sydney over North Melbourne

Port Power over Hawthorn -----------

SANFL Grand Final.

Port Magpies over Norwood on Sunday

Bemused! Been at Cazalys the last few weeks to witness a couple of player injuries. Cutters v Hawks & the ambulance was not allowed on to the ground playing area WTF? Again on the weekend, Cutters v Saints reserves, player down, stretcher out, play halted... Oh no play resumes goal kicked, play again halted. Player stretchered off, carried by 4 trainers (all women). To wrap it up, Gary Young drives out at the end of play (in the medical stretcher modified golf cart) to collect the goal post pads. Bemused? Just a little.

It is just typical of a peanut and just show's the arrogance of the man. Talk about rubbing it into your face.

All ok, how's that stain looking now? You can bang on you like about Gary Young, the CAFL & the harshness of the penalty but you got it wrong bringing Boxell in & then forfeiting because of this one player. Why you keep backing a grub who has only played 6 games over the future of your whole club is beyond belief. How about the club just delist him, go back to the CAFL & admit you made the wrong call. Maybe then everyone can set aside their egos for the sake of the whole competition, reverse the decision & allow Hawks to play in 2015. No-one wants Hawks out but my opinion is they have to admit they got all this terribly wrong & then start a mediation process.

Seriously CCL have a good hard look at yourself. Lions brought Brennan up and couldn't make the finals. Why don't you delist yourself?

Well the final weekend of the seaon, kiss of death for the GF.

Saints to win the senior GF easily over Port.

Port to win the ressies.

CCL get a Mullet up ya. You would have to be the biggest whinging hypocrite I have ever heard since my late wife passed away. Let's put some perspective on this, why did the Lions feel the need to have Brennan FIFO this season? Why didn't the Lions play a junior instead? Why did the Lions spend so much on recruitment this year? Why did the Redlynch Club and Cities amalgamate only to later ostracise the local Cities juniors? Why have the Lions forfeited so many games over the years? When was the last time the Lions won an AFL Cairns premiership in the senior grades? How successful were the Lions juniors this year?

Seriously CCL have a good hard look at yourself. Lions brought Brennan up and couldn't make the finals. Why don't you delist yourself?
Sorry Flintstone but how's your credibility these days? You go and have beer with your mate Boxell since he's such a nice bloke and all. Brennan came to play at a creditable club & enjoyed the few games he played. We actually did this to promote the league in a positive light that may assist in other quality players coming to our comp. But thanks to your wonderful clubs actions that was a complete waste of time.

CCL get a Mullet up ya. You would have to be the biggest whinging hypocrite I have ever heard since my late wife passed away. Let's put some perspective on this, why did the Lions feel the need to have Brennan FIFO this season? Why didn't the Lions play a junior instead? Why did the Lions spend so much on recruitment this year? Why did the Redlynch Club and Cities amalgamate only to later ostracise the local Cities juniors? Why have the Lions forfeited so many games over the years? When was the last time the Lions won an AFL Cairns premiership in the senior grades? How successful were the Lions juniors this year?
You are an idiot. What would you know? The average age of our team this year would be the lowest in the comp & many of our colts tasted senior football. As for your comments on our juniors, sounds like you are a bit jealous. We've balanced our books so go have a little lie down & comb your mullet.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You are an idiot. What would you know? The average age of our team this year would be the lowest in the comp & many of our colts tasted senior football. As for your comments on our juniors, sounds like you are a bit jealous. We've balanced our books so go have a little lie down & comb your mullet.
May I correct you there CCL. Your senior side is nowhere near as young as the hawks side. It seems to me that you are happiest about the hawks decision because their much younger team embarrassed you in the last round, even with the majority of your recruits playing :)
search

Hearing that the Cairns Saints ruckman has pulled out this morning. Didnt pull up well from training last night after copping the injury a few weeks ago. Anyone confirm this ?
Might push the game in Ports favour. If only Teaser was playing.

May I correct you there CCL. Your senior side is nowhere near as young as the hawks side. It seems to me that you are happiest about the hawks decision because their much younger team embarrassed you in the last round, even with the majority of your recruits playing :)
search
Can you read? Ive consistently said that no one wants Hawks out & the punishment is far too harsh. NO club wants Hawks out, its a drastic, backward step for our comp & perhaps the death of a proud club. My theme has been you reap what you sow. My personal opinion is Hawks perhaps need to reign in their indignation over the whole affair, admit they got it wrong (or at least pretend to) , approach the CAFL with an olive branch & see if they can sensibly mediate their way back onto the field for 2015. With the egos involved here that may be the only course of action? Would you not agree with that or do you think that jumping up & down with a petition will sway Gary Young? Good luck with that.

Sorry Flintstone but how's your credibility these days? You go and have beer with your mate Boxell since he's such a nice bloke and all. Brennan came to play at a creditable club & enjoyed the few games he played. We actually did this to promote the league in a positive light that may assist in other quality players coming to our comp. But thanks to your wonderful clubs actions that was a complete waste of time.

Nothing wrong with my credibility here, I will go and have a beer with my mate Boxell, thankyou very much. And to say that your helping to promote the game, what a furphy that one is. Look at the garbage you write on here, bag, bag and bag. Worry about your own club and it's own backyard and don't criticise others regardless of the decisions they make. I'll also point out, yes I have in the past made comments about other clubs on here (including Saints) but have said them very tongue in cheek. As for the youngest team in the league, get your hand off it. The Hawks clearly had the youngest team in the league this year, with two thirds being under the age of 21 (including several aged 18 or less). Finally, who I choose to drink or associate with is no concern of yours.

Can you read? Ive consistently said that no one wants Hawks out & the punishment is far too harsh. NO club wants Hawks out, its a drastic, backward step for our comp & perhaps the death of a proud club. My theme has been you reap what you sow. My personal opinion is Hawks perhaps need to reign in their indignation over the whole affair, admit they got it wrong (or at least pretend to) , approach the CAFL with an olive branch & see if they can sensibly mediate their way back onto the field for 2015. With the egos involved here that may be the only course of action? Would you not agree with that or do you think that jumping up & down with a petition will sway Gary Young? Good luck with that.
Hahaha so TURE, I agree that signing a petition an insignificant waste of time. And I agree that had Shmanunda not signed Boxsell they would be in the league next year. But give the club a break they've just been booted.

"I am the app, take me as am or there the highway out of my life. We're them sexey glass"

Nothing wrong with my credibility here, I will go and have a beer with my mate Boxell, thankyou very much. And to say that your helping to promote the game, what a furphy that one is. Look at the garbage you write on here, bag, bag and bag. Worry about your own club and it's own backyard and don't criticise others regardless of the decisions they make. I'll also point out, yes I have in the past made comments about other clubs on here (including Saints) but have said them very tongue in cheek. As for the youngest team in the league, get your hand off it. The Hawks clearly had the youngest team in the league this year, with two thirds being under the age of 21 (including several aged 18 or less). Finally, who I choose to drink or associate with is no concern of yours.
Good for you mate, enjoy your footy. Your right about our own backyard etc, take that on the chin but the recruitment of that one player has affected ALL of our clubs, no doubt about that & nothing will convince me otherwise. The Lions bringing Brennan to Cairns this year did a lot to raise the profile of our league & the press surrounding him playing was wide reaching & positive. Im sure the young Hawks players enjoyed the experience of matching up on him.

It may not always result in wins, but we are trying hard to improve as a club, still a long way to go but improving every year. Ive copped more verbal lashings on this forum about our club than Ive ever dished out..! If Hawks don't play next season, you & your lads will be welcome at the Lions, along with any other Hawks (besides the obvious one) that want to play footy.

Lets hope it doesn't come to that & a few egos deflate over the next month so that sanity prevails.

As for the finals on the weekend, clearly Port were the better sides on the day. Saints were clearly outclassed in the ressies and the Port back line were brilliant when Saints went into attack in the seniors.

so let me get this straight, as I'm not sure I am following this correctly as an outsider?

The Hawks were scheduled to play Port Douglas.

AFL Cairns heard on the grapevine that there were possible recriminations aimed at a player from the Hawks from people involved with, or playing for Port Douglas including genuine threats of violence.

AFL Cairns considered the threat credible enough that they contacted the Hawks and let them know of these threats.

AFL Cairns put forward a half baked (and quite poor) plan to avoid potential violence.

The Hawks then took it to a player vote, and due to the credible threat of violence, as outlined to them by AFL Cairns - chose not to participate in the game due to player safety concerns.

AFL Cairns then suspended the Hawks from the 2015 season, because they chose not to participate in a game due to concerns about player safety, that AFL Cairns actually notified them about.

Surely, SURELY there is some information missing from my above summary?

AFL Cairns couldn't possibly be this incompetent and stupid could they?

Who is this Boxsall character, what has he done and why do people want to 'square up' with him?

Why would AFL Cairns notify a club that their player safety is at risk, then suspend that same club for acting on the advice of AFL Cairns?

What a complete balls up of a decision, if these are indeed all the facts. Someone give me a petition, I will sign it!

NEWS SATURDAY SEPTEMBER 13 2014 CAIRNSPOST.COM.AU

THE TIMELINE AND EMAIL CHAIN
July 8 (7.12pm) Port Douglas
emails AFL Cairns with notice of
Samuel Boxsell’s five-year
internal club ban from training,
playing and spectating at Port
Douglas Sporting Complex after
“a very nasty incident prior to the
2014 season when he assaulted
two current players.” They asked
if that ban could be conveyed to
Manunda Hawks.
July 16 (7.02pm) AFL Cairns
advise Port Douglas they can’t
prevent him from playing but list
a procedure to follow on game
day, as an alternative, that
includes instructions on where
the player can go and who he has
contact with.
July 18 (10.20am) Port Douglas
president Andy Smith responds
saying their club will “take no
responsibility for the damage
that will be caused to our good
game” and that it “will be a
messy affair”. “In summing up
we, the Port Douglas Football
Club, have no control who you
the League bring into our club. I
have approximately 30 players
wanting to square up with the
damage he did to two of our
players. As long as you take
responsibility for the outcome.”
*It is understood that during this
time alleged threats of violence
were directed towards Boxsell
on social media, but no records
of these have been presented.
July 21 (9.44am) AFL Cairns
general manager Gary Young
responds stating that if “anything
illegal occurs at your ground next
week then criminal charges could
be laid whether action happen
on or off the field”.
July 24 (9.12am) Young emails
Manunda Hawks’ president
Richard Martin notifying him he
has heard “on the grapevine that
there are some unnamed
individuals looking to square up
with your player Boxall (sic)
when he returns to Port for R17.
We are taking these allegations
seriously … apparently there are
unknown people from outside
football seeking vengeance on
his return.”
July 28 (8am) Martin replies
with concerns. “We are taking
this email as a massive
consideration to the welfare of
our whole club in general, not
just a single player … we really
need to consider where we stand
as a club … our first priority has to
be the welfare of the players,
supports, umpires and club
officials.”
July 28 (1.46pm) In an email to
both club presidents, Young
suggests the only option is to hire
security and police presence at the
cost of the clubs, ensure Boxsell
arrives and departs swiftly from the
game, notify crowd of police and
security presence and stress to
players and supporters that the
match will be heavily scrutinised. He
writes: “Very sad that we have to go
to such ends for a reputed recalcitrant
player so he can play footy. Football
administrators around the country
look forward to the day when our
clubs get smart and have nothing to
do with renowned, repeat, on and off
field trouble makers, no matter how
good a player they may be. Hopefully
the Brisbane Lions learnt that lesson
after Fevola ripped the heart out of
their club.”
July 28 (6.41pm) Young explains to
Smith that once Port “let the genie
out of the bottle” by advising them of
the serious events that may happen
at the match, the League had a moral
responsibility to individual attendees’
safety and also to the reputation of
the clubs and the AFL brand.
July 29 (8.20am) Martin rejects the
idea his club should be liable for any
costs, suggests relocating the game,
raises the prospect of abandoning the
game and questions Young’s
“dialogue” regarding the recruitment
of Boxsell. “I suggest you get the cold
hard truthful facts and get them
quickly … he said v she said is not
tangible evidence … I can’t put my
hand on my heart right now and say
we will be providing them with the
environment we must provide, if we
attend the game against Port Douglas
on Saturday,” Martin wrote.
July 29 (9.37am) Young advises
both club presidents that “reasonable
and appropriate measures are being
taken to ensure the smooth and safe
operation of the scheduled match”
and that it will go ahead as per the
conditions advised in his earlier email.
He asks Manunda to advise if they are
forfeiting the game as indicated.
July 29 (9.48am) Martin responds:
“I can’t see any reference whatsoever
to a forfeit.” Young replies quoting
Martin: “…“if we attend the game
against Port Douglas on Saturday,”
sounds pretty much like you are
looking at your options,” Young said.
“The game is on, sound precautions in
place to prevent possible events
occurring based on information