AFL Canberra Div 3, div 4 (Canb Dist) Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Longhaul

There's nothing wrong with Greenway Oval - the surface is no worse than any other oval in Canberra, it was just a couple of delicate princesses from Belconnen having a whinge which gave it a bad reputation earlier this year.

looks like the gf is on sunday, thats gotta suck

Saturday would be better for everyone, but i guess it is ground availability that has forced the decision.

Greenway has a good surface, but it is a fair hike for a lot of teams!

For the Semi's I still dont understand why 1v2 would be on Sunday. Surely the loser of this match deserves the extra day off for finishing higher than the winner out of 3v4 to prepare for the prelim final??? I know this has been an issue in the past so why does it seem to come up every other season? Maybe it has to do with the possibility of Manuka Oval being available on the Sunday, but I reckon they should leave just the GF for Manuka.

What about clubs applying for hosting finals? For instance, in other leagues teams submit applications to have finals played at their ground. AFL Canberra could base their decision on a rotational policy, facilities etc. The team hosting the game would get takings from the canteen.

What about the team that finished higher having the home ground advantage for the Semi's?? It kinda sucks that Goulburn have finished on top in the 4s and will be disadvantaged by commuting so far to Greenway. Goulburn probably deserve a home final (and so would Yass - as much as I am sick of those boys whinging on here) and it would be awesome for AFL in those towns to support their teams in a home final.

The prelim would be at a neutral venue if possible, with consideration given to best facilities, surface etc (Queanbeyan, Ainslie or Greenway would fit this description).

Manuka Oval spared for the GF only.

Thoughts???

Anyway, my August calendar now has a few spare weekends in it, so good luck to all teams still in the running for that cup:thumbsu:

The GF should be a Saturday. Sunday is just stupid. Saturday is the traditional day for AFL Grand finals - you don't see the AFL GF on a Sunday afternoon, do you? Playing at Manuka is secondary to having the Grand Final on a Saturday...

If only Ainslie would come to the party and allow all finals on Ainslie Oval. Its central for all areas, a great venue for footy, and any sort of crowd there feels like a good crowd. The surface is brilliant, and Ainslie FC could surely make a few bucks out of it with people venturing inside the social club before/during and after the games.

But Ainslie FC management are not always about what is best for football, especially the lower divisions.

Saturday would be better for everyone, but i guess it is ground availability that has forced the decision.

Greenway has a good surface, but it is a fair hike for a lot of teams!

For the Semi's I still dont understand why 1v2 would be on Sunday. Surely the loser of this match deserves the extra day off for finishing higher than the winner out of 3v4 to prepare for the prelim final??? I know this has been an issue in the past so why does it seem to come up every other season? Maybe it has to do with the possibility of Manuka Oval being available on the Sunday, but I reckon they should leave just the GF for Manuka.

What about clubs applying for hosting finals? For instance, in other leagues teams submit applications to have finals played at their ground. AFL Canberra could base their decision on a rotational policy, facilities etc. The team hosting the game would get takings from the canteen.

What about the team that finished higher having the home ground advantage for the Semi's?? It kinda sucks that Goulburn have finished on top in the 4s and will be disadvantaged by commuting so far to Greenway. Goulburn probably deserve a home final (and so would Yass - as much as I am sick of those boys whinging on here) and it would be awesome for AFL in those towns to support their teams in a home final.

The prelim would be at a neutral venue if possible, with consideration given to best facilities, surface etc (Queanbeyan, Ainslie or Greenway would fit this description).

Manuka Oval spared for the GF only.

Thoughts???

Anyway, my August calendar now has a few spare weekends in it, so good luck to all teams still in the running for that cup:thumbsu:
i think they had the draw like that last year untill someone mentioned it and changed it late, also th gf was going to be on sunday last year untill clubs complained and moved it to sat where it should be, someone do something now for everyones sake

i think they had the draw like that last year untill someone mentioned it and changed it late, also th gf was going to be on sunday last year untill clubs complained and moved it to sat where it should be, someone do something now for everyones sake

Totally agree about Saturday GF's! Sunday GF's are bloody un-Australian!! C'mon AFL Canberra, gotta get it together!!!

To be honest guys does it really matter if it is on a Saturday or Sunday. If you are playing in the GF then surely Mad Monday is on any way so a Sunday GF would make it a long Mad Monday. Plus it allows everyone to watch the AFL matches on TV on the Saturday without missing them due to us playing finals.
Happy either way but the priority should be the venue of the game being played. Either Manuka oval or Ainslie Oval would be the only venues that the GF is played.

To be honest guys does it really matter if it is on a Saturday or Sunday. If you are playing in the GF then surely Mad Monday is on any way so a Sunday GF would make it a long Mad Monday. Plus it allows everyone to watch the AFL matches on TV on the Saturday without missing them due to us playing finals.
Happy either way but the priority should be the venue of the game being played. Either Manuka oval or Ainslie Oval would be the only venues that the GF is played.

I agree with BigHill, A quality venue should be a priority over date - Saturday v Sunday. Back in Victoria both O&M and GVFL (two massive Vic country leagues) have their GFs on a Sunday. If someone asked me would you prefer GF on Sunday at Manuka or Saturday at Jamo, I would pick Manuka every time

I agree with BigHill, A quality venue should be a priority over date - Saturday v Sunday. Back in Victoria both O&M and GVFL (two massive Vic country leagues) have their GFs on a Sunday. If someone asked me would you prefer GF on Sunday at Manuka or Saturday at Jamo, I would pick Manuka every time
what about the celabrations on sunday night. no where near as much fun as a saturday. ainslie oval on a saturday for me if i was playing, and i think all publicans would agree

Nope, I'm definitely with the blokes who prefer Saturday over the venue. Has anyone ever been out in Canberra on a Sunday night?!?! :thumbsdown::thumbsdown::thumbsdown:

As for watching AFL on TV, you'll find there are also plenty of matches on TV on Sundays these days Hilly - it's not the 80's anymore son! ;)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Imagine the celebrations in Goulburn on a Sunday night :(

LOL would be even more bring now Carney has gone north :p

I think venue along with date sort of go hand in hand. Div 1 or Div 4 you can't play a GF on a shyte ground with lack of facilities. Saturday is the day known for GF's so play it on that day.

Work it out AFL Canberra and play the GF on a ground that has facilities and atmosphere.

As was mentioned earlier, wtf is 1 v 2 being played on a Sunday for, surely they should get the longer break even if it is only 1 day. I am sure Goulburn is thrilled to have to drive all the way to Cooma (close enough) on a Sunday and then possibly come back in 6 days to do it all again.(Never know with finals)
Hell they will have to fill up twice before even getting out of Canberra :D

Ainsle FC own the ground and don't like sharing.

AFL Canberra has to beg and borrow to use the facility, which seems backward to me. If you spend millions of dollars on a sports ground using pokie takings and calling that investment 'Community Facilities Benefit' to ensure you stay a non-profit club as per your licencing, surely you would encourage the greater AFL Canberra Community to use the ground for marquee events...

Ainsle FC own the ground and don't like sharing.

AFL Canberra has to beg and borrow to use the facility, which seems backward to me. If you spend millions of dollars on a sports ground using pokie takings and calling that investment 'Community Facilities Benefit' to ensure you stay a non-profit club as per your licencing, surely you would encourage the greater AFL Canberra Community to use the ground for marquee events...

... and considering they would have pulled a bigger gate taking than Manuka last grand final weekend (districts crowd over AFL Canberra crowd) you'd think they'd come back for seconds. Can't be cheap maintaining a ground like that. Well, the playing surface anyway.

I reckon Manuka Oval is the best place for the gf regardless of which day. It's Caberras home of footy and a fantastic vvenue and showpiece. if you win or lose it wouldn't matter what day it was played. You would still party regardless. There's always someone who will offer up their house as an after match venue and no doubt regret it later :) big games this weekend to add another piece of the finals puzzle. Go the districts!

Saturday for sure:thumbsu::thumbsu:, who cares where its played.
Whats happening with footy park will there be anything played on it again?
Also Yass V ANU is gunna be a cracker today. Winner will make the 4 and the loser is surely out of the race, cant wait!!!!

Saturday for sure:thumbsu::thumbsu:, who cares where its played.
Whats happening with footy park will there be anything played on it again?
Also Yass V ANU is gunna be a cracker today. Winner will make the 4 and the loser is surely out of the race, cant wait!!!!

So does that mean Yass are out of the race???

Good win for the Blues Eppa. At home or ANU??

So does that mean Yass are out of the race???

Good win for the Blues Eppa. At home or ANU??

% after this weekend will be interesting. Uni and Yass level on points coming into round 18. Awesome finish to the season coming up. Hopefully Cooma travel up the highway so Yass get a chance to put some points on them.

Cracking win from Woden today. Dangerous floater if they get that last spot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back