AFL Canberra Div 3, div 4 (Canb Dist) Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gois

I have umpired a game 10 years ago or so when no field, boundary or goal umps turned up to Cooma... One bloke from each club volunteered to have a go and we had a game. Before the match both captains were instructed to tell their teams that any backchat would be a 50, and that without us there was no game. Funnily enough there wasn't any backchat all game!

I've also done a half assed job on the boundary whilst recovering from a busted hand. I'm not afraid to put my hand up to help.

However, whilst I am on the Committee of a club I can hardly be an impartial umpire.

GF

.......However, whilst I am on the Committee of a club I can hardly be an impartial umpire.
GF

Fair enough GF. Impartiality and perceptions thereof, are one thing that probably keeps some former players from taking up the whistle.

When I took up umpiring I actually had someone in one breath say it was great that I was doing it and that there should be more of it, but in the very next breath they said they wouldn't want to see me umpiring a game between their club and Qbn. It was kind of a slap in the face to say they didn't trust me. I argued that I believed I could be impartial and that you can't have it both ways - ie that you want people who played the game to umpire but you don't want an umpire whose had an involvement with a club. There's no way I'm packing up my family and leaving town just so I can avoid having to umpire Qbn games.

Personally I've had to give up all ties to Qbn just in case a club has concerns with me getting a Qbn game, which in Div 1 and 2, is highly likely given the number of teams. (in fact I had Qbn v Ainslie earlier today and everything went very well. I miss having a beer with some great mates, but I've had to make that sacrifice just in case I have a day when I'm doing a Qbn game and I get something badly wrong in their favour. I don't want people accusing me of looking after them.

Gois
(PS - anyone sick of hearing from me yet? Once I get going on the keyboard I'm hard to stop!)

How's everyone going with the deliberate rushed behind rule this year?

Coming up next on the Gois chat line is......

Haha, nice work mate, very popular segment developing on here! It is all good feedback though, and we appreciate your interpretations.

So, we are approaching the half way mark and like last year there are a lot of teams still in the hunt for a top four finish. The Pies need to put a few more wins on the board, and with games against Bidgee and Eastlake coming up, we need to win both to hopefully go to the half way mark in the top 4.
Our 4s are in a better position on their ladder, but missed out on a match yesterday due to a forfeit by Coota. Lets hope Coota can get a good team together for the remainder of the season, it is disappointing for both teams when a forfeit occurs.

I haven't seen a free-kick paid for a deliberately rushed behind so far this year, despite having seen two or three instances that couldn't possibly have been more deliberately rushed.

Hey Shanefos,
I haven't paid one myself but have been in a game where one was paid. A defender kicked it through from about 25-30 metres out. They don't get any more obvious than that! He claimed he was aiming for the boundary - but that would have been a free kick for deliberate out of bounds - which he quickly realised and then laughed it off with a "oh well, it was worth a try!"

You've probably noticed on TV that guys like Leigh Matthews and Nathan Buckley have referred to the rule as the "deliberate deliberate rushed behind". The rule isn't designed to put defenders under more pressure. It's designed to stop a defender walking or handballing back over the line like Joel Bowden did or like Hawks players did in last year's GF.

Umpires will give benefit of the doubt to the defender in all circumstances where there is a hint of contest for the ball, a defender is simply preventing their opponents from gaining possession, when he has realistic options or when he has a team mate in the vicinity and simply makes a skill error.

Essentially application of the rule is very similar to deliberate out of bounds.

There's some good video examples on the AFL website under the "New Laws and Interpretations" section of http://www.afl.com.au/*****/aflfocu...stralianfootball2009/tabid/13956/default.aspx Still can't paste the URL as this forum site thinks its obscene language. Copy the URL above and replace the asterixes with a f l h q (without the spaces) or go to the AFL site, mouse over the "Development" link toward the top right, then go into "AFL Explained", then "Laws of the Game")

Gois

Coming up next on the Gois chat line is......

Haha, nice work mate, very popular segment developing on here! It is all good feedback though, and we appreciate your interpretations.

Thanks Two bobs,
When I'm done with the umpiring advice I might start dishing out career, marital and financial advice. Look out Dr Phil and Oprah! I know from personal experience footballers have more issues than most, or at least that's the way it was with most of my team mates over the years (not me of course! - just in case mum's reading this!)

Gois

Thanks Two bobs,
When I'm done with the umpiring advice I might start dishing out career, marital and financial advice. Look out Dr Phil and Oprah! I know from personal experience footballers have more issues than most, or at least that's the way it was with most of my team mates over the years (not me of course! - just in case mum's reading this!)

Gois
Hi Gois, only one umpire was sent out to us on the weekend so we had a guy step in and help out, not sure of his name but apparently he had umpired 6 games in the afl a while back, he hadnt umpired for a long time and i think he spewed a few times and delayed the start after half time, but he was good, let the game flow like alex unfortunately he was let down by the proper umpire who had a brain snap, we had a mark in the forward pocket and he gave 3 50s against us and they had a shot from the goal square, not sure what happened their. good to see the mighty hawks equal 3rd again after a horrible start to the year, once we get our injured team back we might push for another flag. :thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu:

...3 50s against us and they had a shot from the goal square, not sure what happened their...

OMG!!! That's unheard of! I wouldn't have believed that could ever happen in a Yass game if I hadn't heard it from you first-hand! Clearly there was no player at fault! Perish the thought!!!

OMG!!! That's unheard of! I wouldn't have believed that could ever happen in a Yass game if I hadn't heard it from you first-hand! Clearly there was no player at fault! Perish the thought!!!
I know shanefos, it was just a brain snap from the umpire, I was actually just trying to applaud the other umpire, if you know what i mean. yass to play coota cooma and murrumbidgee next three weeks, perhaps you cant right us off just yet.:thumbsu:

Ok DJ now we know you are stretching the truth, if 3 x 50m were awarded at Yass the poor bugger taking the kick would be doing so from the river:D
that would have ben funny to see the umpire running backwards counting out his fifty and ending up in the drink, perhaps we should remove the fence behind the goals in case it happens again. bring your video camera next game and ill bait the ump to try and restage such events and ill go halves with you for the winnings on funniest home video.

The Harman v Goulburn result was closer than I expected (with all due respect to Harman).

Once again it's gone back to the Yass board! BORING!

I got to see most of the Harman/Swans game. I've got to say, it was one of the more enjoyable games i've seen this year. From what i saw, goulburn were indeed down a few key players, but had a core group of very talented people. Harman played the best footy i've seen them play but just weren't good enough. If they can make the finals, without injuries (their list seems a bit old :D ) they will scare a lot of clubs i think.

The ones game was very ordinary to watch. Not at all like i'd expected. I think i counted 6 or 7 50 metres from Harman. They seemed like they rolled out of the wrong side of the bed on Saturday! The school flattered the other side a lot. If Harman serve that kind of performace up to the top 4 sides then they will get a rude surprise.

How were the other games? I got to see the Queanbeyan Ainslie game on Sunday too. A cracker! But this is the Div3/4 thread isn't it :D

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not too much to report from the Belconnen Tuggeranong game. As expected it was a pretty one sided affair with Belconnen coasting most of the way. Tuggers didn't stop trying all day but relied on 3 or 4 guys to get most of their footy so they were always going to struggle.

The highlight of the day from a Belconnen point of view was Michael Talevich playing his 100th 3rd grade game for the club - had a good game too.

This week's 3rd grade game between Belco and Murrumbidgee should be a ripper though.

Hi Gois, only one umpire was sent out to us on the weekend so we had a guy step in and help out, not sure of his name but apparently he had umpired 6 games in the afl a while back, he hadnt umpired for a long time and i think he spewed a few times and delayed the start after half time, but he was good, let the game flow like alex unfortunately he was let down by the proper umpire who had a brain snap, we had a mark in the forward pocket and he gave 3 50s against us and they had a shot from the goal square, not sure what happened their. good to see the mighty hawks equal 3rd again after a horrible start to the year, once we get our injured team back we might push for another flag. :thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu:
Once you get back your injured players,Is it yass or hawthorn that you speak of ?

Ok I'll add some more stuff, cause I'm bored at work today :D

Being a (obvious probably) queanbeyan/Harman supported, I'm backing the hogs in div 3 to come home strong and sit on top of the ladder at the end of the year. I think they have ANU twice in the last 3 rounds, so that will certainly mean a top two spot or not. I think if injuries remain low, with the addition of a few quality players back in that didn't play last time (Cammy, fitzy, Saun Hore and one other that i can't remember his name, but i think he was out with navy stuff) i think the hogs will be the team to beat. What do others think? Did ANU have a full strength side when they played the hogs last time?

I'm going to go out on a limb and say the Hogs div 4 side will scrape in to 4th spot. It might be a gutsy call, considering they are 8th right now, but with the players to come back to their 1's side, they are surely going to be aided by a few quality players. The game last week made a 4's spot at seasons end certainly do-able if they play well against Eastlake this week.

Not too sure there's much more info i can give. I don't know as much as the players would, but i certainly love getting involved so i'll pump out as much info as i have :D

Once you get back your injured players,Is it yass or hawthorn that you speak of ?
hawks mate, but yass still have a fair few players who havent played yet and a couple of injuries. interesting to see yass and hawthorn in the same sentence :):)

Being a (obvious probably) queanbeyan/Harman supported, I'm backing the hogs in div 3 to come home strong and sit on top of the ladder at the end of the year. I think they have ANU twice in the last 3 rounds, so that will certainly mean a top two spot or not. I think if injuries remain low, with the addition of a few quality players back in that didn't play last time (Cammy, fitzy, Saun Hore and one other that i can't remember his name, but i think he was out with navy stuff) i think the hogs will be the team to beat. What do others think? Did ANU have a full strength side when they played the hogs last time?

I'm going to go out on a limb and say the Hogs div 4 side will scrape in to 4th spot. It might be a gutsy call, considering they are 8th right now, but with the players to come back to their 1's side, they are surely going to be aided by a few quality players. The game last week made a 4's spot at seasons end certainly do-able if they play well against Eastlake this week.

Not too sure there's much more info i can give. I don't know as much as the players would, but i certainly love getting involved so i'll pump out as much info as i have :D
would be good to see harman 4's in 4th spot as long as they dont knock yass out of the finals, they have improved heaps in last 3 years and if they continue they will be amongst it

Hey Flip Foot

I would be interested to hear your top 4 predictions for the 3's and 4's?

Cheers

Its a big round in Div 3

1 plays 3 in ANU and ADFA
2 plays 4 in Harman and the highly improved Eastlake
5 plays 6 with the Jugs taking on the Magpies
7 plays 8 with the Jets playing the Blues
9 plays 10 in the battle for the spoon.

From what I have seen this year, Harman are the best team we have played.
Murrumbidgee use the ball well, but need ALL their key players to play at their best.
ANU were missing a heap last weekend, but you can't go 7 straight if you are not playing good footy.
Eastlake have a couple of high quality kids who offer run and carry who could easily be up a grade or 2.

If the Blues beat the Jets, the Blues have a win against ADFA still to get added to the ladder and that would leave 8 teams with a realistic chance at finals with only ANU as the only certainty.

In Round 9 and 10 Belco play Eastlake in back to back games, and Murrumbidgee should take 8 points from Ainslie.

Yet again, CD1's proves to be the best comp in Canberra!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back