AFL Canberra

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can't see too many people taking this poll seriously because you are comparing someone who is the only current player in the ACTAFL elected to the ACTAFL Team of the Century (and has the admiration of nearly the entire footballing community) against a player that while making it to the "Big Time" has hardly set the world on fire since coming to Canberra.
Clarke is clearly a very good player but you have to question his coaching methods - he would be a better player in a team that he didn't have to coach; maybe then he would be played in a position that best reflects his talent.
I might be a little bias when it comes to the Tigers but there is absolutely no doubt that Mark Armstrong is as good a player going around today that has not played AFL with the Big Boys...:thumbsu: If things had worked differently when he was a young bloke he would have definitely been picked up by Ron Barrassi's Swans - Barrassi was dirty with a certain Tigers coach for not releasing Merv to play for the Swans Reserves many moons ago.:(

Merv would be one of the first picked in my team so I'm sorry ABH; the 22nd player would be between you and Clarke... I might just have to go in with 21!!:D:D

Hey Toodogs, dont know how long you have been around ACT footy but in your opinion who is the best recruit from interstate to have played and stayed with ACT footy and why. Doesnt matter which club.

Ok ABH I'll have a dip. I am continually sticking up for the AFL canberra comp. standard and the Swans being in etc etc but continue to get pasted on the Swans board because, despite not being competitive now they reckon they should leave and go to the VFL.They rave on about our comp. being crap.
I say let them GO, but remember where their so called young stars in the firsts now have learnt their trade...in the crap AFL Canberra comp. Big enough to fight my own battles but I suggest you have a look at the Swans board to see how far up themselves some of these guys are.
See below, one of a few responses on their board.

Originally Posted by Porkhead
What Liz said in the previous post is spot and what the Swans coaching staff seem to think.
As I have said before go to the VFL, where by the way you will have restrictions on your listed players as well, and see how it works out flying backwards and forwards to Melbourne and the associated costs etc .
Also your young 18 year old rookies etc and their young bodies will be exposed to bigger and stronger bodies than AFL Canberra.
The Swans are fantastic for AFL Canberra but with new AFL sides on the horizen anything could happen to the shape of competitions in coming years.It would seem sensible to sit tight in a comp. that is now producing your future stars eg Barlow,Jack,Bird etc.

Welcome back porkhead,still unlisted i see.Must agree with Lakeside Legacy,as i've posted before, the standard is crap and i have watched several games in the last couple of years.
Maybe the AFL should be pushing for a super league in NSW taking in the whole state,including the ACT.That might improve the standard.
user_offline.gif

Porkhead, and all ACTFL fans

Please note there were two swans supporters pushing the insults. Please also note the Swans board mod gave these 2 red cards.

The debate may be valid, it's been a couple of year since I've seen an ACTFL game but my info is the standard has lifted and everyone is playing better than they were a few years back (I get to judge for myself when we play Melbourne and I'll go to another one on the saturday). But regardless of the opinion on the issue the rudeness of the two was not called for and from a poster on the swans board I know most of us are sorry for the attitude dished out. our mods, Ert and Robbieando have said your welcome back to debate ideas on our board and those who say your not have been sent a message in red.

Hey Toodogs, dont know how long you have been around ACT footy but in your opinion who is the best recruit from interstate to have played and stayed with ACT footy and why. Doesnt matter which club.

Very difficult to answer that question; there are several players like Billy Neely and Burkey who came then went and then came back that have been very influential players (Burkey when on song is one of the best tap ruckmen you will see). Tuggers had some very handy footballers in the mid to late 80's and the Tigers recruited the likes of Armstrong and Niesen (amongst others) who are still around, Glenn Gorman was also a very smart and gifted footballer. More recently you can look at Danny Jaques (Port Adelaide to Wagga, Ainslie & then Tigers), Clarke from Eastlake (when he plays to capability) Knowlesy at Belco and Mitch Daniher at Qbn; all can be considered excellent footballers and would be high on the list if they choose to stick around until retirement. Each club has had some champion players recruited in but not many hang around after their careers have ended or they get noticed by bigger clubs with more money. I'm sure this will spark heated debate but I think some of the best players (not necessarily most skillful) in the ACTAFL have been home grown like Maher at Belco, Wynd at Qbn, Cooper at Tuggers, Ainslie and Eastlake plus a whole list of exciting young players littered across each club.
Best long term recruit for me is Armstrong - his career achievements speaks for itself; I think he has been in the ACTAFL Team of the Year about 12 times, captain for a lot of them and he's still going strong.:thumbsu:

Porkhead, and all ACTFL fans

Please note there were two swans supporters pushing the insults. Please also note the Swans board mod gave these 2 red cards.

The debate may be valid, it's been a couple of year since I've seen an ACTFL game but my info is the standard has lifted and everyone is playing better than they were a few years back (I get to judge for myself when we play Melbourne and I'll go to another one on the saturday). But regardless of the opinion on the issue the rudeness of the two was not called for and from a poster on the swans board I know most of us are sorry for the attitude dished out. our mods, Ert and Robbieando have said your welcome back to debate ideas on our board and those who say your not have been sent a message in red.

Thanks CAS. No worries. I enjoyed the debate.

I think that Swans in this comp. is as good as they can do at present.

Long term with new sides in NSW and QLD. who knows whats in store. Certainly the players are coming through into senior ranks for the Swans via this comp.

In my view the AFL Canberra comp.is a very good standard and recent results in the Australian Country Championships v Vic Country,comprising players from the O&M etc, NSW,QLD and WA. suggest it is right up there with the better comps.
Agree some games don't reach a high standard but that is common.Must admit I did nod off during the first half of the Swans v Dons on Sunday.

Main thing is.... footy is the winner!!!

Has anyone heard news on the Rep Team selections??? I thought they would have started training by now in a Carnival Year - I know some other Leagues have already had trial games...:confused:
Possible Squad Key Positions:

Full Forward - Armstrong (Ghirardello in pocket with Williams)
CHF - Maher (Kavanagh on a flank with Hughes)
CHB - R. Jaques (L.Bennett on a Flank with Quade)
FB - Raadts (Irwin in a pocket)
Ruck - Dickinson and possibly Rice if Bourke is still injured
Followers - It's disgraceful how many quality on ballers there are in this comp. - Neely, Knowles (inj), Clarke, Illet, G. Underwood, M. Daniher, Powell, Carey, Lieschke, Healy, Pocock, J.Bennett, Moussi, McGrath and the list goes on - sorry for those I missed but my memory is on it's way out... too many ales after the game..:eek:

Before anyone sparks up on how many Tigers players there are... I think that there are probably at least another 6 that I can think of that should be in the training squad and obviously I am a Tigers fan and have watched more of their football this year. Here's your chance to include those players that you think should be selected in the training squad and then collectively this forum can "judge" them leading up to the Country Carnival. ;)

Selections this week:
Belco to beat Tuggers by only 10 goals as they take an opportunity to play some less talented players for experience.
Swans to win their first game for 2008 in Canberra as they just get over the line against Ainslie by 3 goals.
Tigers to beat a more competitive Demons by 20 points.:thumbsu:
Tigers do have some quality players out (as some of you have stated) but the depth is stronger this year with the fresh batch of juniors coming through and they will grind out a strong win away from home.

Selections this week:
Belco to beat Tuggers by only 10 goals as they take an opportunity to play some less talented players for experience.
Swans to win their first game for 2008 in Canberra as they just get over the line against Ainslie by 3 goals.
Tigers to beat a more competitive Demons by 20 points.:thumbsu:
Tigers do have some quality players out (as some of you have stated) but the depth is stronger this year with the fresh batch of juniors coming through and they will grind out a strong win away from home.

Your right. Belco Coaching group over the years have rested players against lesser clubs in preperation for matches coming up. Be prepared Qnbo for an almighty flogging in the next round - AGAIN !!!!!! Oh yeah, how many out this week ? Heard it all before you flogs. Any excuse but not injuries again ! My predictions this week are Magpies by 15 goals, Ainslie by 2 points and the Demons up by 5 goals at three quarter time to win by 8 goals. Eat your words ABH. Cant wait for your call when a certain opposition coach dominates.

Your right. Belco Coaching group over the years have rested players against lesser clubs in preperation for matches coming up. Be prepared Qnbo for an almighty flogging in the next round - AGAIN !!!!!! Oh yeah, how many out this week ? Heard it all before you flogs. Any excuse but not injuries again ! My predictions this week are Magpies by 15 goals, Ainslie by 2 points and the Demons up by 5 goals at three quarter time to win by 8 goals. Eat your words ABH. Cant wait for your call when a certain opposition coach dominates.

Still fishing Denno ...

Yawn.......ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

Has anyone heard news on the Rep Team selections??? I thought they would have started training by now in a Carnival Year - I know some other Leagues have already had trial games...:confused:

Followers - It's disgraceful how many quality on ballers there are in this comp. - Neely, Knowles (inj), Clarke, Illet, G. Underwood, M. Daniher, Powell, Carey, Lieschke, Healy, Pocock, J.Bennett, Moussi, McGrath and the list goes on - sorry for those I missed but my memory is on it's way out... too many ales after the game..:eek:

Before anyone sparks up on how many Tigers players there are... I think that there are probably at least another 6 that I can think of that should be in the training squad and obviously I am a Tigers fan and have watched more of their football this year. Here's your chance to include those players that you think should be selected in the training squad and then collectively this forum can "judge" them leading up to the Country Carnival. ;)
Hows Dickos leg last I heard they thought is was broken ABH can you fill us in.As for rep team can Swans players play for the ACT if not why not.Don't forget crooks holmes lewis healy.Not to sure on Irwin think there could be more quality in other teams.Especially if Swans can play.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hows Dickos leg last I heard they thought is was broken ABH can you fill us in.As for rep team can Swans players play for the ACT if not why not.Don't forget crooks holmes lewis healy.Not to sure on Irwin think there could be more quality in other teams.Especially if Swans can play.

Yeah I had Healy in but thought Holmes was still injured; the others could be considered for the training squad but I think they should be looking to pick the best players for each position... not just the best dozen on ballers and then get them to play back pockets or wings or whatever - too many Rep teams make that mistake and get rolled.
Dicko's leg is all good, if he gets through training tonight he will play:thumbsu:. Swans players won't be considered becasue the Swans coaching staff won't let them play, otherwise we would have a very strong Rep side for sure. As for Irwin; his form over the last three games has been excellent, he is big, strong, quick and agile and has started to perform at a higher level on a more regular basis - they say it's called maturity but I'm not telling him that!!:eek:
How are Ainslie's injuries looking? Getting any back this week?

Yawn.......ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ
ABH you have got to start training yourself to go straight back to sleep after the 3am feed mate...:( Unless you have somewhere to be or something really important to do (like tap ya missus on the shoulder); 0450 is no time to be awake for a retired footballer with dodgy hammies...:p

Your thoughts on the Rep training squad???

I think your being far to generous to some of the Tiger players TD. Many of the players form you named has mirrored that of the sides...Inconsistant! Out of the "Key Positions" you named I believe 3 players warrent selection, the others have been a bit up and down. I also believe the league position of the Tigers is flattering as their form isnt that of an equal top of the table position.

On this weeks game, given what you and I know, if Eastlake cant beat the Tigers this week then they wont beat them all year!

We love United, we do
We Love United.....Oops wrong thread!!:thumbsu::thumbsu:

Penalty shoot outs have got to go before a goalie or a goal kicker, if they are the right words, kills themselves for losing a big game.

Just take the bloody goalie way from both ends for 10 minutes.Otherwise make the goals bigger so there is more scoring!! Get the AFL rules committee onto it!!

Its a good game but need more goals to stop the fans from punching each other up or slashing the seats from boredom.

Same as you ...sorry wrong thread.

Penalty shoot outs have got to go before a goalie or a goal kicker, if they are the right words, kills themselves for losing a big game.

Just take the bloody goalie way from both ends for 10 minutes.Otherwise make the goals bigger so there is more scoring!! Get the AFL rules committee onto it!!

Its a good game but need more goals to stop the fans from punching each other up or slashing the seats from boredom.

Same as you ...sorry wrong thread.

Its a shiit game. No further comment needed !

What a final!! Penalty shoot outs are great - love the tension except when Ronaldo missed another penalty...
Was fantastic to see the tears flow from John Terry!!

What a final!! Penalty shoot outs are great - love the tension except when Ronaldo missed another penalty...
Was fantastic to see the tears flow from John Terry!!

Keep those Avatars coming Chaddles; it's better than watching a sh1t boring game between two nuffy teams!;)

So I wonder what the likelihood of Barry Hall getting a game or two in the Swans reserves is? And who would be looking forward to playing on him? Even though he's not a fullback, and is no longer playing seniors, it would be interesting to see Eckers on Hall....;)

Cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back