AFL Canberra

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Would the combined ACT Rep side beat the Swans Reserves?

GF - I believe the best 22 ACT players would definately beat the swans reserves, but if the ACT side is made up of the 2nd string stuff we have seen, (or in my case not seen), due to the real talent not being interested then they would get thrashed.

For once fim you have actually contributed something that is even half worth reading. I think you'll find they do something similar in the SANFL, and WAFL with the crows, port eagles and dockers players. You would know more ABH, wouldn't you. This would also be a great way to introduce a state wide league using the swans players filted througout clubs. Ie say Canberra sides, couple from sydney a few from the riverina and have a top tier State league then have a number of minor leagues beneath it that could work on a promotion, relegation basis. Just a thought.

No orange peeler, is this your thought or was the promotion, relagation idea mentioned in a previous post??

Anyway, i still think it has some merit and the addition of swans players would only lift the standard across the board.

It does work in the AFL states with players filtering back to their "home" clubs

Reasonable idea in theory. But if I recall correctly, the main reason the Swans are running round in the comp is because they have the ability to play all their players in the one team, learning the one game style and playing in positions the senior coach wants them played in. There would be zero benefit for the Swans in farming their players out to ACTAFL sides.

Just wondering if anyone rates the following players we have been watching from the Ainslie football club: Shaun Mooney, Ian Lawless an Joel Price although he missed the majority of the year with a back injury.
All from country victoria an all believe to be unhappy at Ainslie.

Mate others may know more but I have seen them play 3 times and thought Price was about the best. Lawless keeps getting mentioned every week but on the games I saw I can't see why.
Put it this way I wouldn't be recruiting them if I was chasing players.

Bushfooty
Although I believe that it would be great to see a side beat the swans when they have no restrictions I too believe that there is bugger all chance of seeing this happen due to everything everyone else has already pointed out.

With all these ideas getting thrown around I just thought I would flag an idea which I heard the other day. It has no chance of happening but still I think it would be a pretty interesting concept and one that would even up the competition a fair bit.

Just like the AFL, it would be great to see a PreSeason Draft in which the swans players are 'Drafted' to the sides here in Canberra. When drafted they will then represent that Team for the year.

The draft would work just like the AFL where by the Wooden Spooners would have the first pick and so on and so on, lifting the standard of the competition and the competitiveness of the competition right up from the bottom of the ladder to the top.

If the drafted players were to be picked in the Swans Seniors then the team that drafted them would just have to deal with it, so this would have to be a consideration when Picking your Drafted players, same with injury.

I think something like this would work on a lot of different levels...Swans reserves still get a great standard of footy, local junior players then have the opportunity to play along side future stars, clubs wouldn't have to go and recruit 4 or 5 money hungry tools from VIC SA etc, but more importantly the Premiership will be won by a local club every year.

As I said, this idea has got no chance of getting off the ground but just thought it was an interesting idea...

Foot in Mouth
Stay in the bush mate. As if Swans would allow Barry Hall to come and play with Canberra Wildcats at Stirling Oval. Stupid idea !!!

there are only stupid people who have no idea's, not stupid ideas... while i doubt the idea would ever get off the ground, i also doubt if barry hall will ever get dropped to our local league, however if it was good enough for nathan buckley to play for his local vfl side then you never know....

I think while there are some interesting ideas in this thread, there has been little said about the clubs overall responsibilities. There seems to be a lot of people simply wanting to change things with the league and maybe not as much at a club level.

Shouldn't clubs be emphasising playing better, better recovery, acquiring better facilities etc. rather than just saying "lets change the swans". I'd much rather hear ideas on how the clubs in the ACTAFL can bridge the gap that seems to have developed in the last few years. Someone said the lack of injuries in the senior side is possibly the major factor in the reserves doing so well. That won't last forever, so when injuries do present themselves it seems smart to be trying at a club level to be improving all the time.

Considering there's been so much talk about the swans in this thread, it's surprising no ones mentioned the Eastlake game. They were beaten by the swans by only 33 points. I think that's the closest anyones come so far this year. From what i've heard, flooding seems to have made a huge difference. I guess it shows with some clever football, and willing to change the game plan a little, anythings possible. If Belconnen were within just points going into the final quarter, who knows what a bit of fighting spirit would do. Hopefully the finals won't be a one sided affair.

I agree. The Swans will not win the premiership every year. The local clubs have to learn from what they are doing. Isn't that a win-win situation all round?

I think while there are some interesting ideas in this thread, there has been little said about the clubs overall responsibilities. There seems to be a lot of people simply wanting to change things with the league and maybe not as much at a club level.

Shouldn't clubs be emphasising playing better, better recovery, acquiring better facilities etc. rather than just saying "lets change the swans". I'd much rather hear ideas on how the clubs in the ACTAFL can bridge the gap that seems to have developed in the last few years. Someone said the lack of injuries in the senior side is possibly the major factor in the reserves doing so well. That won't last forever, so when injuries do present themselves it seems smart to be trying at a club level to be improving all the time.

Considering there's been so much talk about the swans in this thread, it's surprising no ones mentioned the Eastlake game. They were beaten by the swans by only 33 points. I think that's the closest anyones come so far this year. From what i've heard, flooding seems to have made a huge difference. I guess it shows with some clever football, and willing to change the game plan a little, anythings possible. If Belconnen were within just points going into the final quarter, who knows what a bit of fighting spirit would do. Hopefully the finals won't be a one sided affair.

I agree about the need for local sides to improve etc but my view is that the Swans will fall over in the finals this year anyway because if they win it undefeated for the third year in a row they might have to look elsewhere to play. Is that "tanking"?? As it stands now they will have blokes out as emergencies etc for the ACT second semi,Saturday, as their firsts will be playing that day or night. so Belco will win that one.

They are the ones who have 'killed the goose that laid the golden egg" or is that swan, by not going VFL style and reducing the number of listed players to a reasonable level. I think the VFL is 12 then top ups. It shouldn't be up to AFL Canberra or the clubs to work out ways to make the comp. fair. As someone said in an earlier thread they are pros. against p/timers. and over time they will win regularly.

There is a lot of mixed feelings about the Swans being in the comp. and just what they add to it.
It would help a bit if they picked up a few rookies or draft picks from here too to show their interest but C Bolton was the last and he came via Brisbane back in 98 I think.You can't tell me James Bennett or some like him wouldn't have made it given a crack. After all two of the greatest of all time came from here..Hird and Jezza so they don't all have to come from SA,WA or Vic.
All over the shop here but my point is the whole league and clubs don't have to adjust because of one new team that is here, using our comp.for its own needs, on a temp. arrangement.

Hey 3rd grade Maggie, how has the 2 Belconnen teams in reserve grade gone this year, I could not believe it when I read about it, are they going to do it again next year, surly there are other Canberra District clubs that could go up if an extra team is needed in reserve grade.

Hey 3rd grade Maggie, how has the 2 Belconnen teams in reserve grade gone this year, I could not believe it when I read about it, are they going to do it again next year, surly there are other Canberra District clubs that could go up if an extra team is needed in reserve grade.

I think Gungahlin were asked to go up and maybe ANU but were too scared to go up and have a crack at reserves. I believe Belco FC were keen for 2 sides in reserves comp but the 3rds players were aprehensive in the beginning.

Maybe next year AFL Canberra should just turn the reserve grade into Division 1. A few senior clubs don't have reserves anyway and it would provide more games for magoo players.

And 3GM, your a ****.

I think Gungahlin were asked to go up and maybe ANU but were too scared to go up and have a crack at reserves. I believe Belco FC were keen for 2 sides in reserves comp but the 3rds players were aprehensive in the beginning.

Maybe next year AFL Canberra should just turn the reserve grade into Division 1. A few senior clubs don't have reserves anyway and it would provide more games for magoo players.

And 3GM, your a ****.
Nice to have you back Chaddles. I thought you must have been "King Hit"....

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nah, I usually see them coming before I go down :D so technically not a 'King Hit'
How are the beer sales going ;);)

I bet you go down easy 2.
Judging by the 1am post it seems you may have increased beers sales last night.
Once again sorry but no cigar, not in the beer selling. Beer drinking yes but not selling.

G'day to Tim Gavel who read this thread through the week judging by his column in todays Canberra Times ;)

Reserve Grade
: Gungahlin are not interested in going up - yet. I believe they are waiting until their Juniors are getting closer to 18 before looking at expansion to Reserve Grade. Their CD1's team is closer to averaging 30 years old than 20 and are guys winding down their careers rather than aiming up. Give them 2 or so years for a few of their juniors to step up, and I would expect them to have a competitive Reserve Grade side. However, not having their own licenced club would see them suffer the fate Tuggeranong does - all good juniors get poached by wealthier clubs....

ANU have the player numbers, but not the $. Harman, Woden and Murrumbidgee are not up to the level required, and Eastlake, Tuggers and ADFA are out of the question.

I bet you go down easy 2.
Judging by the 1am post it seems you may have increased beers sales last night.
Once again sorry but no cigar, not in the beer selling. Beer drinking yes but not selling.

Never been knocked out once, love the tough stuff- puts hairs on your chest. You wouldn't know what thats all about being a glory boy and all.

Was just watching the Storm smash the Bulldog's, don't get it here until midnight. And I don't drink before I play.

Your as easy to fire up on here as you were out on the ground during your senior days.

Good luck v Magpies today if your playing again this week.

Never been knocked out once, love the tough stuff- puts hairs on your chest. You wouldn't know what thats all about being a glory boy and all.

Was just watching the Storm smash the Bulldog's, don't get it here until midnight. And I don't drink before I play.

Your as easy to fire up on here as you were out on the ground during your senior days.

Good luck v Magpies today if your playing again this week.

If you were a magpie 10 year ago you wouldn't know the first thing about toughness as they were soft as, back then.
Also i bet if im who you seem to think i am you obviously never wanted to get close enough to have a dip, probably scared like the rest were of the majority of the old tiger boys.

G'day to Tim Gavel who read this thread through the week judging by his column in todays Canberra Times ;)

Reserve Grade: Gungahlin are not interested in going up - yet. I believe they are waiting until their Juniors are getting closer to 18 before looking at expansion to Reserve Grade. Their CD1's team is closer to averaging 30 years old than 20 and are guys winding down their careers rather than aiming up. Give them 2 or so years for a few of their juniors to step up, and I would expect them to have a competitive Reserve Grade side. However, not having their own licenced club would see them suffer the fate Tuggeranong does - all good juniors get poached by wealthier clubs....

ANU have the player numbers, but not the $. Harman, Woden and Murrumbidgee are not up to the level required, and Eastlake, Tuggers and ADFA are out of the question.

Seem to know a bit about the JETS there ferret, some inside info perhaps? How do you see the side this year compared to last year a week out from the GF? Think they can go two in a row?

Ahh isn't reminiscing fun! The old sides are always tougher, stronger, and harder aren't they? :D

Weren't there some one sided affairs this weekend?! A big bounce back by the swans after they only had an uncharacteristic 30 odd point win last weekend. It seems the top four clubs are really peaking at the right time of the season. I think we could have a pretty exciting final series by all accounts.

In regards to division 1 sides entering the premier division. As someone mentioned it's always difficult for a side without a licensed club to back them to be competitive over the long term. If this is a plan from the ACTAFL (which it most certainly should be, the more teams in the comp the better at this point) there has to be some way to help fund the clubs without a licensed club. There doesn't seem to be enough money in the ACTAFL itself to be able to do this i don't think. Is there another way to make a division 1 side or one without a licensed club competitive?

I'm no Jet, but know a few of their blokes.

After watching a bit of the Harman / ANU game today (ANU leading at half time), I see the Jets winning pretty comfortably next weekend.

Question for 3rd Grade Maggie - who are the players Murrumbidgee were protesting about that has made the Canberra Times a couple of times during the week?

AFL Canberra District Grand Finals

At Manuka Oval
Saturday September 1st – Grand Final
Division 1 Gungahlin vs ANU at 2.15pm
Division 2 ANU vs Belconnen (*) at 12 noon

Div 1 is a rematch of last years GF, where Gungahlin came back and won the match in a thriller. Gungahlin defeated ANU in their first two encounters of the year, but ANU fought back in the final round of home and away. The Jets then spanked Uni in the Semi Final, whilst ANU had a hard fought victory over Harman to earn a rematch.

Ferrets Prediction - Jets by 20

Div 2 sees the 2006 premiers Belconnen up against ANU in what promises to be a cracker of a match. Belconnen only snuck into the finals in the final week of the home and away season with an upset over ANU, and are in red hot form at the moment. ANU have the depth to take a win in what is shaping up to be a very close CD2's Grand Final.

Uni by a goal.

Belco had a good win today in Div 2 today. There was a very good feeling to the club after the game. They played a pretty good brand of footy and will certainly serve it up to ANU next week. I think if they can take a bit of the feeling from today they might get up.

Harman were very disappointing today. They played very ordinary football, especially considering last weeks game. They looked flat, and almost a little bit uninterested. They didn't seem to have much passion. Maybe they had their grand final last weekend?

ANU played ok, but not overly well. They definitely deserved the win though. They were harder at the ball, were a lot cleaner with their skills, and seemed to just want it more. It wasn't a great game (the Div 2 game was more interesting to watch i thought). I think Gungahlin will be much too strong for ANU next week. They seem to much more well rounded all over the field than ANU. I hope I'm wrong though. It would be nice to see a tough game.

I'm no Jet, but know a few of their blokes.

After watching a bit of the Harman / ANU game today (ANU leading at half time), I see the Jets winning pretty comfortably next weekend.

Question for 3rd Grade Maggie - who are the players Murrumbidgee were protesting about that has made the Canberra Times a couple of times during the week?

Bit of a storm in a teacup really. The league had cleared the players during the week but Murrumbidgee went with the protest anyway. There are definitely a few handy boys we've got back though.

Should be a good one against ANU this week. They were a few short last time we got over the top of them and were mighty impressive in the 2nd semi last week.

I actually thought Harman had most of the play yesterday. They just couldn't convert in front of goal - had it stuck down in their forward 50 for ages but couldn't spot up a target or get the finish they needed. Good effort by them though. Both games should be crackers next week. Hopefully at Manuka!

For once I'm going to post a serious thread which will shock most of you expecially Chaddles and Foot in Mouth.
With all the talk on this site about how to curb the domination of the Swans, I believe the year is unravelling perfectly for a Canberra side to win this years flag. For the first time in Paul Roos reign he will not be in the top 4 come seasons end ensuring an away final first up. For the first time in his reign, injuries, possible suspensions and players down on form near September are occurring. This doesn't bode well for their reserve side who for the first time in 3 seasons will not take the field with their strongest possible line up and if as I believe the Swans seniors bow out in the first week or two of the finals then the reserves side is vulnerable. Already Belconnen and Eastlake have proven that they are suspect to certain brands of footy and with a definite weakend line up dont be surprised if they lose a final or maybe two...
Opportunity is knocking for a side confident enough to throw down the gauntlet. 2 sides have already shown they are good enough on their day. Lets see if they can do it with more at stake.
Swans are there for the taking.

For once I'm going to post a serious thread which will shock most of you expecially Chaddles and Foot in Mouth.
With all the talk on this site about how to curb the domination of the Swans, I believe the year is unravelling perfectly for a Canberra side to win this years flag. For the first time in Paul Roos reign he will not be in the top 4 come seasons end ensuring an away final first up. For the first time in his reign, injuries, possible suspensions and players down on form near September are occurring. This doesn't bode well for their reserve side who for the first time in 3 seasons will not take the field with their strongest possible line up and if as I believe the Swans seniors bow out in the first week or two of the finals then the reserves side is vulnerable. Already Belconnen and Eastlake have proven that they are suspect to certain brands of footy and with a definite weakend line up dont be surprised if they lose a final or maybe two...
Opportunity is knocking for a side confident enough to throw down the gauntlet. 2 sides have already shown they are good enough on their day. Lets see if they can do it with more at stake.
Swans are there for the taking.

If this occurs. then every body (including those experts who dont attend AFL Canberra games ) will finally realise that things go round - for those who have patience.

It seems Foot in Mouth has disappeared :cool: !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back