AFL Club Songs... origins.

Remove this Banner Ad

One of the parents of one of our junior sides complained recently about the South Sydney victory song.....No idea why?

SOUTH SYDNEY VICTORY SONG

Now that we're all round the bar
And the captain's declared it a quorum
We're drinking through the night
We're having the time of our lives
Throw the empties away, start again - start again
For the boys of South Sydney are together
And we'll drink till the dawn breaks again
And may the sessions of South Sydney last forever
Up the Rabbitohs.

One of the parents of one of our junior sides complained recently about the South Sydney victory song.....No idea why?

LOL. Reminds me of another chant we used to do at school sports carnivals which I think had its roots in old rugby union circles:

Who's the man with the big red nose?
ooh ah ooh ooh ah
The more he drinks, the bigger it grows
ooh ah ooh ooh ah
Up the big red rooster
Suck more p*ss!

I used to have "Oh I Do Like to be Beside the Seaside" on a record that was pressed in the 1940's, it also had a couple of other St Kilda related songs on it. I converted it to CD and promptly lost both somewhere. :oops:

I often hear people at VFL games laughing at Port Melbourne for "stealing" the Demons song, but I believe it has been in use by the Borough since at least the 1950's. I'm very interested in the old VFA songs, a lot of clubs have changed them recently either matching their AFL affiliate or just updating them, and they are almost universally terrible. Williamstowns song is miles worse than any I've ever heard, even West Coasts!

I think Geelong's lyrics were written by Russel Renfrey, the 50's premiership.

Probably the most notable line from a club song was in Glenelg's song of the 70's and 80's.

"We're dashing and gay, we're the pride of the bay"

Not sure about that. The general consensus seems to be that they were written by John K. Watts (Geelong player 1960's). He has claimed this feat loudly and often, and it doesn't seem to have been disputed.

From wikipedia:

'East Perth Forever Boys' is the theme song of the East Perth Football Club, sung to the tune of Anchors Aweigh. The lyrics were written by John K. Watts, an ex-player of the club. He was also responsible for the club songs of Swan Districts Football Club (based on the 1926 vaudeville tune 'Baby Face') and Geelong Football Club. Hobart Football Club also has a song sung to the tune of Anchors Aweigh. Its lyrics are very similar to East Perth Forever Boys.

Probably the most notable line from a club song was in Glenelg's song of the 70's and 80's.

i have that on my hard drive at home. i'll upload it when i get home

Those Souths songs reminded me of my old footy clubs song, im not sure they still use it now or not tho. Pretty sure it goes like this:
BIG LANGUAGE WARNING

Azoo, azoo, azoo, azoo, azoo, azoo, azoo, Hey,
The monkeys cage is open and there's, plenty of room for you,
Ya bastard, you, ya bastard, there's plenty of room for you,
Take a trip to Regents Park before the gates are shut,
And I'll be there on a Saturday night with a great big bag of nuts, ya bastard, nuts ya bastard, great big bag of nuts.
I say put one down,my f-ing oath I can.
Up to.the garden- up yous
Sung by the ball boys- quartet,
Haven't got a hard on- just yet,
So suck me off!

Gotta say I love the Scottish NMFC original song the best... imagine slamming down the whiskey with that mob and singing "Wee Deoch an Doirs"... slurring all over the words. :thumbsu:

Made me wonder- does anyone know if North have Scottish roots in their club heritage (ie was founded by or based around predominantly Scottish people at the time?) I also note their team colours of blue and white are the same as their national flag. Just curious to see if this is coincidence or not.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think Brisbane should sing the la Maseillaise using the original French. Seriously if your club song is about killing the impure and fertilising the fields with their blood, in order to prevent your sons and daughters having their throats slit, then you might as well be serious then and sing it properly.:)

Just remember when the French sing that song at the Olympics, rugby or any international sport they really do want to kill you.

By the way la Maseillaise was written in 1792 during the French Revolution.

A little history lesson from FFS

Also one of the few club songs that dropped the names of some of their opponents - Norwood and West Adelaide.

Adelaide/Perth/none/none/Eastlake/Werribee
Carlton/none/South Adelaide/none/none/none
Collingwood/none/none/Devonport/Southport/none
Essendon/none/none/Lauderdale and North Launceston/none
Geelong/none/none/none/Aspley/none
Hawthorn/none/Central District and West Adelaide/Burnie and Glenorchy/Belconnen/Sandringham
Melbourne/West Perth/Sturt and Norwood/South Launceston/Morningside and Redland/Port Melbourne
North Melbourne/none/none/none/none/Frankston
none/East Perth/none/Hobart/none/none
none/none/North Adelaide/none/none/North Ballarat
none/Subiaco/Woodville West-Torrens/Clarence/Broadbeach and Tuggeranong/Casey
Richmond/Claremont/Coburg/Hobart/Labrador and Queanbeyan/Bendigo
Sydney/East Fremantle/Port Adelaide/Launceston/Ainslie (partly)/none

Don't think I've missed any from the major leagues. Very few of these are due to alignment (and I've left out reserves teams). I've left out teams that have totally unique songs.

Classic! :thumbsu:

But WTF was the bit at the end with the Hawks theme and somebody replacing the 'hawthorn' with god knows what??

Maybe Chief should put together a streamcaat of all the themes
RUFL song... ;)

I reckon Freo should've dumped the main part of their song and just kept the Heave Ho part. Image how intimidating it would sound. Just take this song and shorten it down a bit (like the Fitzroy song does with la Marseilles). E.g. take this tune from about 1:40 till 3:00

I was even thinking of using it for the Russian team...

Richmond's song is good but I wouldn't necessarily say it's the best and definitely not the best by a long way as some people say. Apart form Hawthorn's which I like for obvious reasons, I've always liked North Melbourne's and the Swan's song.

Obviously a North supporter here, but I agree. The FULL North song is the best in the comp. Richmonds is the best official song though. :)

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL Club Songs... origins.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back