AFL Club Songs... origins.

Remove this Banner Ad

I'd like to know why Fremantle/West Coast/Port/Brisbane Bears (first time) and to a lesser extent GC/GWS didn't go for a traditional song with new words.

The Bears eventually went with Battle Hymn of the Republic, which is used by a team in every major league except the AFL now.

Fremantle used the Volga Boatmen for the part of the song the players never sung, and then got rid of it.

Adelaide managed to pick the Marines' Hymn, which was already in use by a couple of other state clubs - although only, again, after they had had a poor original.

Surely it wouldn't have been too hard to at least look at some of the other state clubs' songs and pick one.

My local club's song is based off of 'Click Go the Shears' and it's an absolute beauty.

We are Dunnstown the old Black and White;
The "Town" is what we call 'em, we always give our all;
We play on regardless, we risk head and shin;
And if we're down we never frown;
we fight and fight to win.
[Where the chorus starts]
Cheer boys Cheer it's the old 'Town' here;
Take our tip - we'll win the premiership;
We'll hit 'em with a thud and roll 'em in the mud [it is Ballarat after all];
And right from go we'll let them know -

It's DUNNSTOWN to WIN!

You cannot tell me that the West Coast song is not based on this:

Doesn't sound like the Eagles' club song but the opening is similar to that of The Ferrets - Don't Fall In Love I reckon.

Brilliant! Yes the Mike Brady version is it.....So must have been the early 80's. Or perhaps even released after the 1989 near-merger with Fitzroy. Reckon that version is a bit better than the Fable version personally.

Was released in the mid-80's and used as the official club song until the name change to Western Bulldogs.

Post the 1989 merger attempt, the "remember 54" was replaced with "remember 89".

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL Club Songs... origins.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back