AFL coaches think Shane Edwards is a better footballer than Cyril Rioli

Remove this Banner Ad

I saw the greatest Rioli,Maurice.
Media beat up Cyril because they are bigger Richmond trollers than the bay.
Having said that,I have no illwill towards Cyrill,humble like his great uncle.
Interestingly, or not, Cyril Snr, Maurice's father was quoted in the paper today as saying that Junior Boy has now had the better career.

Still only 26, too.

Interestingly, or not, Cyril Snr, Maurice's father was quoted in the paper today as saying that Junior Boy has now had the better career.

Still only 26, too.
No doubt he's had the better career. Whether or not he's a better player is up for debate and can't be judged yet, but history will say Cyril had the most success and there might still be more to come...

Could the op please make the same thread next year?
Ever since he made this one Cyril has gone to another level.

a7b42a91b0c016c898da517d12e334df

I'm just trying to make the point, that these two blokes are miles apart and there are hundreds of better comparisons for both of them...
I used Carlton players as not to offend other supporters, I'm just trying to make a point...

that you lack comprehension skills?

I know if Richmond show a glimpse of getting him,Collingwood will jump straight on the tiger tail.:D

Well maybe you blokes ought to be channeling your energies elsewhere in pursuing AISH?....Get-table for mine, given Brizzy have zero interest in dealing with Eddie-wood....Your first rounder either this year or next should get it done.:thumbsu:

Nothing more than circlework now.

Closed, possibly belatedly.

In light of the great man retiring, this needs to be revisited

These two players brought great joy to their supporter bases

Cyril a dynamic pressure forward , Edwards a versatile maestro

Edwards versatility and longevity must give him the nod, as predicted

Edwards is a Comodoore wagon. Somewhere boring, but but practical and reliable. Cyril was a super bike. Explosive and dangerous. If you want to go from A to B with no fuss, you buy the Commodoore. If you want thrills and excitement you get a bike. Just don’t expect to use it every day.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Edwards is a Comodoore wagon. Somewhere boring, but but practical and reliable. Cyril was a super bike. Explosive and dangerous. If you want to go from A to B with no fuss, you buy the Commodoore. If you want thrills and excitement you get a bike. Just don’t expect to use it every day.
You should put in a asterix to say that you've never actually seen Edwards play

For you to write this dribble it confirms that you have never actually watched Shane Edwards

Its so wrong, its actually funny

Shedda was a magician. Amazingly fast and with incredible vision. Mid forward, who could also play back.

Cyril was a brilliant small forward.

Some similarities, but very different. I'm happy to say that both were at the absolute top end of AFL players. Who was better? Depends what you want. Both in one team would be a very exciting and better team for having them.

Charlie's got a similar 'super bike'

GZz4fzuu.jpg

Brum brum.

I don't think bumping this the week Edwards retires is a good move as it just invites him to be unfavourably compared and denigrated when he should be celebrated.

I will say that he has had a very fine career (and had enjoyed longevity well beyond that of Cyril - who retired early for personal reasons).

It's also hard to compare but Cyril was the better player and I think most would agree.

3 AA's > 1.
1 NS > 0

Cyril averages more than 4x as many Brownlow votes as Edwards, despite Edwards spending much more time in the middle (where votes are typically concentrated).

I think the above together highlights that Cyril's best was at another level.

I don't think bumping this the week Edwards retires is a good move as it just invites him to be unfavourably compared and denigrated when he should be celebrated.

I will say that he has had a very fine career (and had enjoyed longevity well beyond that of Cyril - who retired early for personal reasons).

It's also hard to compare but Cyril was the better player and I think most would agree.

3 AA's > 1.
1 NS > 0

Cyril averages more than 4x as many Brownlow votes as Edwards, despite Edwards spending much more time in the middle (where votes are typically concentrated).

I think the above together highlights that Cyril's best was at another level.
Look the norm smith is a thing for sure .

The issue with that is though that Cyril didn’t have to compete with Dustin Martin for norm smith votes

And as we all know Dustin Martin is the greatest ever grand final player in history .

So effectively , edwards only had a chance to compete for 50% of the votes available , this is because Dustin Martin always gets the three votes .

Edwards like everything else he has done in his career is a very underrated big game player . He did receive votes in both the 2017 and 2020 norm smith medal voting

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL coaches think Shane Edwards is a better footballer than Cyril Rioli

Remove this Banner Ad

Back