Recruiting AFL Draft Watch 2022 - Tsatas, Hayes, Davey x2, Munkara & Montgomerie

Who should we take with Pick 4? (Pick 2)

• Tsatas

Votes: 60 27.9%
  • Humphrey

Votes: 33 15.3%
  • Phillipou

Votes: 109 50.7%
  • Clark

Votes: 10 4.7%
  • Other

Votes: 17 7.9%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quick links: Player Contract Status | Trade & Free Agency 2022 | JHA Father/Son and NGA | Adrian Dodoro

0093895D-8D9D-4EFD-93DB-32FA70C2A596.jpeg

Last edited:

Players who perform on the big stage get extra credits. If he hadn’t kicked four goals in a granny people would be saying he goes missing in big games. Every game in the AFL is a big game.
Jake Melksham got selected by us presumably off one big game. He wound up being a player that would rock up whenever he wanted to and had zero accumulation abilities. In saying that, I want Sheezel :D

Jake Melksham got selected by us presumably off one big game. He wound up being a player that would rock up whenever he wanted to and had zero accumulation abilities. In saying that, I want Sheezel :D
Didn't he make AA at Melbourne? Or was that Hibbo?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Rubbish
jake played in a tac premiership as a 16 year old
he was at the club when development was non existent
he was always most dangerous as a high half forward midfielder

Rubbish
jake played in a tac premiership as a 16 year old
he was at the club when development was non existent
he was always most dangerous as a high half forward midfielder
If melksham from 2009 got drafted by a current geelong Richmond etc he’d be an all Australian type half forward. We just developed him terribly.

And it’s half the reason why our draft picks show signs but never reach their potential. There is no alignment in what our recruiters / list manager/ coaches are doing. We don’t draft players to play a specific role, we draft them and try to find them a role and muck them around for half a decade wasting years. Happened with Francis, happened with Hurley, happened with Mcgrath, it better not happen with Cox. Other clubs do it so much better.

Last edited:
The second half of Melkshams 2013 season was bloody good. He was best on for us in a loss to North late in the year, playing midfield. It looked like such a break through game and month. Then the next year rolled around, he got injured in preseason and then started at half forward and we completely abandoned what looked like a midfielder to balance Watson and Goddard.

When did Melksham become a gun?

He was still 29 on GF day last year and didn't get a gig. Isn't that supposed to still be his prime?

Of the 114 games he played with us 80 odd games ranged from poor to barely AFL standard. This occurred mainly between 2011 and 2014 when we were solid on field and the structure of hard working/blue collar players was there - the sort of structure that leaves him to capitalise on his strengths.

He's a smart forward and a beautiful kick inside 50. But would I take a player with his flaws, mainly lack of running ability and work rate, in the first round again? Please.

He was still 29 on GF day last year and didn't get a gig. Isn't that supposed to still be his prime?

Of the 114 games he played with us 80 odd games ranged from poor to barely AFL standard. This occurred mainly between 2011 and 2014 when we were solid on field and the structure of hard working/blue collar players was there - the sort of structure that leaves him to capitalise on his strengths.

He's a smart forward and a beautiful kick inside 50. But would I take a player with his flaws, mainly lack of running ability and work rate, in the first round again? Please.

Would you take a player with his tools and develop him properly?

The apparent flaw was that he never became a midfielder when in fact he was never actually a midfielder to begin with and we were trying to shoehorn him.

Would you take a player with his tools and develop him properly?

The apparent flaw was that he never became a midfielder when in fact he was never actually a midfielder to begin with and we were trying to shoehorn him.

What does proper development look like?

As I said, he was given every opportunity in a solid team, playing a role that suited him.

As I said, he was given every opportunity in a solid team, playing a role that suited him.
My memory may be wrong but didn’t we try and play him more as a midfielder?
I never rated him before the draft. Thought he was a one trick midfielder.
He has proven to be a decent half forward but I am with you. Not sure I would say he was a gun.

My memory may be wrong but didn’t we try and play him more as a midfielder?
I never rated him before the draft. Thought he was a one trick midfielder.
He has proven to be a decent half forward but I am with you. Not sure I would say he was a gun.

He was played a bit as a mid, sure. My recollection is that he was mainly forward.

An actual strength and conditioning program, not just building him up into a hoss to the point where he can’t move would be a start.

He’s been able to get over the ground at the Dees and looked a miles better for it, they’ve used him to his strengths. We could have certainly used his ball use going inside 50 since he left us.

He’s had a pretty good career, you’d accept that at pick 11 or whatever it was.

His best season was 2018 at the Dees from memory, one of the best half-forwards for i50s and Score Involvements in the league.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back