Recruiting AFL Draft Watch 2022 - Tsatas, Hayes, Davey x2, Munkara & Montgomerie

Who should we take with Pick 4? (Pick 2)

• Tsatas

Votes: 60 27.9%
  • Humphrey

Votes: 33 15.3%
  • Phillipou

Votes: 109 50.7%
  • Clark

Votes: 10 4.7%
  • Other

Votes: 17 7.9%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quick links: Player Contract Status | Trade & Free Agency 2022 | JHA Father/Son and NGA | Adrian Dodoro

0093895D-8D9D-4EFD-93DB-32FA70C2A596.jpeg

Last edited:
Harley Reid would have to be next years consensus number 1 pick yeah? Has looked better than Watson, although he has definitely had his moments.

Reid is unbelievably good for an underager.
What’s the go with Petric, 196cm midfielder and has done some nice things.

Must keep our F1 just incase we suck so hard we're a chance at Reid.
“In case” wink*

tank GIF

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Watson ain’t going near pick 1
That’s just fugazi from twomey

Watson is 169cms tall, he either needs to have the best draft year ever or grow at least 3 inches.

For what it is worth here are my views on a few of the Victorian players . Reason it is only the Victorian players as these are the guys I have seen more of live along with replays. The way things turned out I did not get to see WA or SA live this year so I can not give a total opinion other than one based on watching a few replays and full player edits. These are players I have seen live at least 3 times and watched replays of 4 or 5 of their games.

Disclaimer . I will mention that a player may play in the style of a current or past AFL player. When I do I am comparing a style of play more than a player to player comparison which I do not like anyway. So if I say a player plays in the style of player Z I am not saying that player is exactly the same as said player Z.

In no particular order.

Harry Sheezal . Had a very strong year . He is a player that makes things happen on a regular basis . Smart and quick thinking he is excellent around goal , his skills are very good , strong one on one mark and reads the play very well. Has the scope to play higher up the ground and find plenty of the ball which he has done in games. He has genuine X factor although it is more mercurial in the style of Steve Johnson or Robbie Gray . What he is not is a manic pressure forward . His pressure is good enough but he is not a tackling machine nor is he a jet . Pace wise he is marginally above average.

He is the player that will kick you a clutch goal in a big game when you need it.

Elijah Tsatis . Warning. If you are looking for this bloke to be your physical wrecking ball then he is not your man. Plays more of a Pendlebury midfield role where it is all about footy smarts and reading the play. He wins clearance because of quick reaction time and an ability to read the ball off the rucks. He is physically strong enough to hold his own under pressure but he does not simply power through packs and break out the other side. Has a good outside game and his run and spread is good. At this stage I have not seen him do much defensively. His defensive set up is average at best and something he will have to put some time into. Can ball watch a bit when he has not got the footy. Has the tools to be a real offensive weapon with good speed and footy smarts. One thing he does have that our blokes do not is a good sense of positioning off the contest.

Jhye Clarke . Not really a favorite choice for most Essendon supporters because he is another 180cm midfielder but what he does have is one of the best team first attitudes of anyone in the draft . For him it is always team and hard work but he is also an exceptionally good player. He has good skills on both sides , reads the play well and is a good clearance player . Then there is the work rate. This bloke runs both ways , loves to tackle and pressure and has no qualms about lining up on the best opposition midfielder and doing his bit to stop him. Leadership is excellent as well. Although he is small he is not fine. He is reasonably stocky . Maybe not a 100% fit for us size wise but he ticks so many of the other boxes.

Aaron Cadman . Looks the best tall forward in the draft. Now he is not your 200cm guy . He is not going to stand in the goal square and haul in contested mark after contested mark but what he does have is very good endurance , strong hands on the lead and just works up and down all day. Very good at picking up ground balls . Plays with aggression and will give you second and third efforts all day. Goal kicking is good. He is not a player that will just stand around waiting for you to kick it to him. He will make a lead and another and can lose defenders with his variation on the lead.

George Wardlaw . This guy is just a competitive animal. Not big height wise at 182cm but comes in at 82 kg and just pounds in all day . He loves the blue collar stuff and is a good clearance player. Has decent pace off the mark and is a reliable overhead mark. Skills can be a bit like a lot of hard inside players and that is a little hit and miss but he does use the ball well in space. He actually does have a decent outside game but is pressure and attack is his one wood. If you want clearances , power and burst out of the stoppage , tackles , second efforts and pressure then he is the man. The only down side is he has had some soft tissue injuries.

Alwyn Davey jnr – smarter and better player than his dad . He will need some developing but I suspect he will play some footy in his first year. So first things first he is not your lightning speed wrecking ball like Walla was. He is fast and he does pressure well but he does not have the same physical game. He is a very smart player who does work both ways. His skills are very good but maybe not freaky. Has the ability to play a midfield role and give you a bit of speed and good delivery. Is clean at ground level. Just has to add a few kg to the frame and I think he will be a very good player.

Cameron Mackenzie – another who is not an absolute bulldozer but he is big and strong and can stand in tackles and deliver handballs to good options. His clearance work is good. Skills are decent enough . Can take a mark and has a really good burst of speed. Can play an outside role and has had some handy periods forward.

Baily Humphry – solid powerful and can go forward and kick goals. Another real inside animal who may not have the absolute mercurial skills of a Jake Stringer at his best but he has that power clearance game and probably more endurance. Has good speed . Kicks on both sides . Is ready to play and I suspect if he did not get injured he would simply be talked about as top 5 . I would not complain if they went with him at 4 to be honest.

These are some in line for pick 4 along with Alwyn who we are getting.
Will do some more as I finalize some notes. There are a few others that will be able to add a bit more or maybe a slightly different opinion as they have seen more than me.

How are we getting 7 without our future 1
Giving them pick 6 that we get from the Hawks for Parish :p
We can have Bowes , pick 7 , pick 43 and Bowes salary and they can have pick 6 and future third. :thumbsu:
Then we hand over pick 22 for Graham. Use picks 4 and 7 . Cadman at 4 , whoever at 7 .Bowes and Graham in. Take Davey and Davey plus whatever is left. Stocker delisted FA. Trade Ham for Bytell . Bingo bango. All done.
Dreams are free.:p:p

Giving them pick 6 that we get from the Hawks for Parish :p
We can have Bowes , pick 7 , pick 43 and Bowes salary and they can have pick 6 and future third. :thumbsu:
Then we hand over pick 22 for Graham. Use picks 4 and 7 . Cadman at 4 , whoever at 7 .Bowes and Graham in. Take Davey and Davey plus whatever is left. Stocker delisted FA. Trade Ham for Bytell . Bingo bango. All done.
Dreams are free.:p:p
My only dreams are somehow we get dibs on Harley Reid. My god

If we can somehow magic another selection in the top 10 Jhye Clark is the man.

I don’t think he is a good enough fit to burn the only top selection we have but as the companion selection he is some bloody good meat and potatoes.

If we can somehow magic another selection in the top 10 Jhye Clark is the man.

I don’t think he is a good enough fit to burn the only top selection we have but as the companion selection he is some bloody good meat and potatoes.

Went for a few high flies today and while he didn't bring them down; it's interesting that he has that in his toolset as he doesn't really seem to have that explosiveness elsewhere.

Went for a few high flies today and while he didn't bring them down; it's interesting that he has that in his toolset as he doesn't really seem to have that explosiveness elsewhere.

He’s certainly jumpy and has strong hands above his head. I actually like the Luke Parker comparison more for Clark than I do for Humphrey.

And I like his defensive actions and spread as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back