Recruiting AFL Draft Watch 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

Id be okay with us offering F1 and 9 for Curtin

Even though hes not a huge need, but i think we have every right to think he can be an elite midfielder. A bigger Bont/Pendles that doesnt move aswell

He might be the future of midfielders. It use to be 194 Cripps/Bont

The next step is 197cm types. Reach is crucial at the contest
Offer Geelong our future first to move up one spot. 🙃

I bloke who's been on BigFooty 5 minutes says we must take him then we must take him. Im convinced
The best football minds probably don’t waste their time on Bigfooty

The best football minds probably don’t waste their time on Bigfooty
Rines by now
5c0a458199bcd5115a25b404

Gonna say something unpopular here. Unless we say he's going to be developed as a key forward (which I doubt he will), we shouldn't draft O'Sullivan. We've spent the resources necessary to cover that position. No more "oh but what if Reid and Hayes and Baldwin and Cox all fail?" bullshit. We have a glut of young key defenders and there comes a point where we've overspent on them, and if we draft O'Sullivan then we've reached it.

We have a young, talented and raw list. Let's add positions that we really need, like another inside mid to develop, half back flanker(s) (seriously, we don't have one under 25), another key forward (concerns over Jones and Hunter seem to be more valid than the key defenders) and maybe a ruck to develop (Will be 7 years younger than Draper, perfect time to get them in the fold).

If he's at our pick and Adelaide offer us the deal I said above we should take it and run. Draft Hardeman and Archer Reid on night 1 then hope that either Charlie Edwards slips (pipe dream), one of the Goad/Edwards/Green rucks are there or draft George Stevens
Im with you here
Either trade if the offers come or grab a position of need.
Windor and wilson seem that player. Or leake/hardeman

We can simply out mark sides with all our intercept defenders :thumbsu:

Just a few things.

McKay still has one hurdle to get over. He has been injury prone in the last few years.

The issue with the 3 x 200cm players in Reid / Cox / Hayes is they are all stick men .

Duursma and Billings as a forward both help our running power. Yes we will need more . Given how many players are uncontracted for 2025 I suspect there will be more changes at the end of next year than this year.
don't discount mckay's shit kicking

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well how the do you tell me I am wrong when he has actually missed 4 games. 6 games and 6 games in three of the last 4 seasons ? If he has had no injury issues then he does not miss as many. Two of the seasons he missed those games from round 1. Last year he played like crap because he got injured before round 1.
Please do tell me how you do not have some injury issues if you miss multiple weeks at a time in 3 of the last 4 seasons.
You said it was not true. It is true.
Based on that, every player in the comp has injury issues

Einstein stuff, seriously

Him and McCaulfiee interest me greatly as picks in the 30's. Apparently we're liking Joel Freijah with a later pick to so another midfielder to like.

Asked @PM Bangers and he mentioned his more Toby Greene than Tom Green as a guy who can creat forward of centre but role up to the midfield
De La Rue is nothing like Toby

I dont really like Freijah

No, he actually said 12. I dont know why you’re clinging to this “elite 8” trope so tightly.
Well its been said about 100 times by draft experts/recruiters
Offer Geelong our future first to move up one spot. 🙃
Its not about moving up 1 picks, its about getting Dan Curtin in this case

Well its been said about 100 times by draft experts/recruiters

Its not about moving up 1 picks, its about getting Dan Curtin in this case
Like Kinnear Beatson who said there’s 12 players on their list and if one isn’t available at their pick they’ll slide back?

I hope not, I’d be rather annoyed to miss out on Curtin by 1 pick.
Based on everything I've seen from Curtin, he'd be worth trading up for. I personally don't see why he isn't a top 4 lock. From what you've seen, is there a possibility he could be a KPF in the future? I think his versatility is so valuable because

I don't know about giving up a first to move one spot, but

Every player in the co.p has missed a large number of weeks three of the last four years?
Pretty much every player in the comp has missed weeks whether PS or in season due to injury, yes

He played 19 in a row ffs and every game 24 months ago in 2021. North did not rush him whereas if he was playing for Collingwood he wouldve played more than 56 in 3 years

Ants555 reference was clear that it implied continued body issues, otherwise we would not be talking about this. That is most certainly not the case ala Cooney, Yeo, T.Scully, Jaeger Omeara types (Just names off the top of my head, that had ongoing issues whether it be there back, knee or hips). This is not the case with Mckay

Mackay had a seamless PS last year

He had injury troubles early in his career like alot of 202cm guys in their first 4 years (see Reid, see Cox, even see H.Jones)
I wasn't meaning stylistically, heard he (Kade) is more a fwd play maker than a midfield general
he will have to be a midfielder at the top level. Midfielders forward are pretty rare these days unless the game changes style. He played half fwd for Vic C but only because those sides are trying to fit 15 midfielders into the same 22 and he was capable half fwd. He plays majority onball in Coates

Watson, Collard, Gothard, Sanchez, Charlesson are your small-medium forwards

The high half fwd isnt done much by midfield types these days but more so genuine small forward - miers, Close, Switkowski, Bedford ect

I think Simpkin is the best comparison i can find. Slightly bigger, less physical, hard hitting type, less accumulation

Conor Mcdonald and Lipinski are probably others

Like Kinnear Beatson who said there’s 12 players on their list and if one isn’t available at their pick they’ll slide back?
Well one has to be available 12, so what you said makes zero sense

Hes merely pointing out hes happy to take any of the 12 at his pick that are on that list of 12

The discussion is stupid and stale though. The top tier of 8 has been a thing for long now. It doesnt necessarily mean they will all go top 8. I said ages ago Windsor and Leake are types clubs will fall in love with and like. That seems to have occured and things may fall a certain way where we get a pick of the top tier of 8. It appears we're in a great position now. If its only Osullivan left of the top 8 then it is still a very interesting call

I think next year we will most likely be picking a midfielder with our 1st rounder (As there are about 20 x 180 cm guy - that has to be strongly considered in this call

-----‐--------‐---------------------------------------
On a different note eth-dog you might want new intel into Melbournes drafting plans, it appears atleast based on recent discussion that Melbourne could very plausibly overlook Curtin if there, even you i hope can now admit this?

Maybe not a certainty like you suggested. Many mocks have him getting past Melbourne including Twomeys

Last edited:
Based on that, every player in the comp has injury issues

Einstein stuff, seriously
How many players have missed 4 weeks plus of footy in season in three of the last 4 seasons ? How many have missed a 6 week period ? You are telling the story and as usual you are now moving the goal posts again.

My exact comment.

"McKay still has one hurdle to get over. He has been injury prone in the last few years"

If you are missing more than 4 games a year three out of 4 years then yes you are injury prone. Does not matter a toss if others in the comp are as well. It is an injury.

It is pretty simple. I said he has to get over the injury hurdle . Nothing more. He has missed more than the average few games. That is a fact. We need him on the field. We do not need him with a foot injury before round 1 that ruins his whole season. Or to miss 7 games across various stages of a season or to miss the first 6 weeks of a season which has happened in three of the last 4 years. That is not normal.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Recruiting AFL Draft Watch 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

Back