Recruiting AFL Draft Watch 2024 - What do we do, we don't have a top 10 pick?

Remove this Banner Ad

We should have kept pick 9 and found the points for Kako elsewhere.
It's touted as possibly the best draft since 2001 and we gave away pick 9.

There's a very good chance 1 - Kako slips past pick 9, or 2 - we would have got either as much or more on draft night live trading that pick with another club.

There would have been several clubs trying to get it. I'm sure we could have had one or two deals ready in waiting.
Bring back Dodoro.

Last edited:

There's a very good chance 1 - Kako slips past pick 9, or 2 - we would have got either as much or more on draft night live trading that pick with another club.

There would have been several clubs trying to get it.
Bring back Dodoro.
People keep saying this every year...

From a Quick Look.

F1 + p27 and if the bid doesn’t come before 7 we would be able to promise you that we won’t bid which saves you roughly another 250 points minimum (third round pick equivalent) as that takes you to Richmond at 10 which we can’t control.

And I’d argue there isn’t a bluff to be called here with us.

SOS has prior. Did it to Freo and Liam Henry at p9 (Twomey had him at 18 on his mock) and with todays news that we really rate him and it looking like one of the Gun mids falls to us at 7/8 then I can’t see how this isn’t done.

Well look at that...Silly Saints missing out on 3 top 10 picks, melts are glorious.

Back in your hole Stavros!

There would have been several clubs trying to get it. I'm sure we could have had one or two deals ready in waiting.
Bring back Dodoro.
Don't you think that the club would have at least some idea that an early Kako bid was a real possibility?

Draft night trading is fraught with danger. Another club could easily rug us and we'd have no leverage in the situation. This was a good move IMO, despite there indeed being a lot of talent on the table at our pick.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

And I think that's how much WCE would want. Only thing is EFC using 4 1st rounders on one player what could possibly go wrong 😌
Well the you can guarantee at least two players from those picks will be super stars :p

Gotta wait and see where they land. Won’t be 4 if it’s 2 in the top 5
Melbourne last year offered 2023 6,11,42 and future first (ended up being 2024 no 5 not that WCE knew at the time). Will also depend if he stays on the park and continues his early year form.

Bring back Dodoro.
You say this without any information about what is going on in the background. There was a very big chance the points could not have been found elsewhere. It is not just as simple as just find the points elsewhere. They would have had more idea than us about what is available. They also have an idea of this draft. There was a good chance we could have also gone into deficit and killed next years first round pick.

Kako better live up to all the internal hype for how we have moved heaven and earth to secure him.
Heaven and Earth ? we have given up maybe a first round pick this year to get a first round pick next year plus 5 picks this year. So basically if the bid does not come before 9 we have just given up a pick in this years draft for a pick in next years draft but still get Kako plus have some picks left to take a couple of players in the 40's.

You say this without any information about what is going on in the background. There was a very big chance the points could not have been found elsewhere. It is not just as simple as just find the points elsewhere. They would have had more idea than us about what is available. They also have an idea of this draft. There was a good chance we could have also gone into deficit and killed next years first round pick.

Showed with Stringer and the current picks we have that we wouldve been ok and likely not affected our F1 much if any

Has to be

Having 28 and 31 is pointless
Not sure I agree it is pointless. I get that it is burning two second round picks but it helps if we can not get a deal to trade out and back in and still get to use 46 & 54 which will move up a fair bit with the Ashcroft / Lombard / Kako bids. If we can get out and back in great but we will still have a couple of decent back end picks.
Ashcroft will cost Brisbane 32-34-42-43 and 45 if the bid comes in the top 4. Gold Coast are likely going to need between 1395 and 1878 points (bid 5-20 range) so they will burn 23-29 minimum maybe 40 if the bid is close to 6. If we do nothing then we lose 28-31-40. That is 10 picks gone so if I get this right then 46 is 36. 54 is 44 and 65 is 55 . Apologies if I have not got the workings right and I am posting rubbish.
Also with the Ashcroft and Lombard bids our picks march up a bit as well do they not ? So we may not lose 40 .
Hope I have this right :) if not then I am looking like a bit of a dick right now :p
Anyway I would not call it pointless. Less than ideal maybe but still workable if we do have to burn them.

Not sure I agree it is pointless. I get that it is burning two second round picks but it helps if we can not get a deal to trade out and back in and still get to use 46 & 54 which will move up a fair bit with the Ashcroft / Lombard / Kako bids. If we can get out and back in great but we will still have a couple of decent back end picks.
Ashcroft will cost Brisbane 32-34-42-43 and 45 if the bid comes in the top 4. Gold Coast are likely going to need between 1395 and 1878 points (bid 5-20 range) so they will burn 23-29 minimum maybe 40 if the bid is close to 6. If we do nothing then we lose 28-31-40. That is 10 picks gone so if I get this right then 46 is 36. 54 is 44 and 65 is 55 . Apologies if I have not got the workings right and I am posting rubbish.
Also with the Ashcroft and Lombard bids our picks march up a bit as well do they not ? So we may not lose 40 .
Hope I have this right :) if not then I am looking like a bit of a dick right now :p
Anyway I would not call it pointless. Less than ideal maybe but still workable if we do have to burn them.
Pointless - As in Pointless to keep for this year. They need to be moved

As you have said the bids on Ashcroft and Lombard means our picks move in a fair bit aswell, giving us even more points

Its probably mot quite the 10 place movement but more so 6-8

So yeh if we do nothing we still have say pick 40

No doubt some very reasonable options at that range as you know i dont just think the middle to back end first keeps running, but the entire draft is said to be deep for a reason

Depending on what we csn get for them, id imagine at the very least an F2 for either atleast. Is rather do that and then juat get the automated pick selections at 65 then consider moving bsck into the 40s with future picks if we like something

Remove this Banner Ad

Recruiting AFL Draft Watch 2024 - What do we do, we don't have a top 10 pick?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back