Recruiting AFL Draft Watch 2024 - What do we do, we don't have a top 10 pick?

Remove this Banner Ad

Surely you target clubs that aren't in the second round at the moment.

I would go to North Melbourne and see if they back themselves and wanted to get back into the 20s for their future 2nd. Pies are also not in this draft until beyond pick 50. Cats don't enter until pick 46 but have a future second rounder.

How far do you think shanahan could drop ?
Late teens i feel .... live picks

Lalor
FOS

Jagga
Draper
Smilie
Langford
Armstrong
M.Reid

Tauru
Bo Allen
Xavier Lindsay
Travaglia
Trainor

Hotton
Shanahan
J.Whitlock
Joe Berry (17)

Seems to be rough consensus listening to Twomey combined with a bit of what i think aswell

17 would be nice to guarantee one of these. I also quite like Angus Clarke and Hannaford seem to be a bit of the late rage. One i like and the ither suits a need

I would be talking to Richmond about either pick 10 or 11 if Kako is still on the board. Offer up the Melbourne 1st. Then we can still use the picks later to match Kako.allows Richmond to hold a strong next year as well and allows us to grab a top talent.

Exactly what I'm advocating too.
Several clubs will be putting big offers to Richmond though, knowing that now that our pick 9 is off the table, one of Richmond's picks are the only real chance. So I dont think a future first would be enough.

It's also why I think Rosa missed a real chance to get something big during live trading. But I understand one in the hand is worth two in the bush.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah that’s not good enough. We need to be proactive and get up the board.

If you're happy to overpay for picks inside 35 we can, but it will cost our F2nd at least, possibly 1 of our F1sts.

The only other hope is Kako slips to the teens and our 28+31 become really appealing.

my comment was more about KA having an each way bet.
Surely your the last person that can say that here

How am i having an each way bet, 100 point deficit is completely fine

If it was me id have pick 8 minus 100 points if it meant we can signifcantly improve our hand next year and/or this year

Massive chance we trade 28 and 31 into next year. If we hold them they get eaten by the Kako bid. We have enough points with the rest of our draft hand to match.

Surely your the last person that can say that here

How am i having an each way bet, 100 point deficit is completely fine

If it was me id have pick 8 minus 100 points if it meant we can signifcantly improve our hand next year and/or this year
And we would be in a world of hurt if it was you.

When you say nothing to worry about unless it is more than 100 is an each way bet.

I do not care about having an each way bet as I have seen a decent amount of these guys but not enough to be throwing out definitive opinions.
If you want to rank this bloke here and that bloke here based on you tube highlights and ESPN power rankings then that is your issue.

Also it is not fantasy football. 90% of all these pick theories never happen as it is the real world. There is know way you can no what 18 sides are looking at and how they will play out. Someone does something slightly different with picks and all the best plans are in the bin.
Given our recent history of screwing thing up playing it safe is the play. We need to consolidate not take more risks just to get a second player in the first round this year.

Last edited:
Yeah that’s not good enough. We need to be proactive and get up the board.
You think we will not be ?
17 other clubs will be trying to be proactive as well.
We came into this draft with 2 picks worth points.
They have done pretty well to get better picks next year plus enough points for this year and not be starting next year with two picks again.
You can not keep rolling the dice every year.
There is no doubt they will look to do more deals.

Possibly - but then what picks do we actually use for other players in this draft?
Moving those picks forward give us a chance to trade back in once Kako is bid on. And I think we probably use a couple of picks in the 50's as all the picks we use don't get lost, they just move to the back of the draft.

Remove this Banner Ad

Recruiting AFL Draft Watch 2024 - What do we do, we don't have a top 10 pick?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back