Recruiting AFL Draft Watch 2024 - What do we do, we don't have a top 10 pick?

Remove this Banner Ad

pretty disengenious since the 11-20 range has 10 people a year vs 5 in the range before and only 1 pick 2 and 5 times more likely then the 6-10 range

So your almost 10 times more likely to have a 300 gamer at pick 2 then at any given pick in the 11-20 range
It's written as a percentage, so number of people in each group is not a factor.

Dont know anything about Jack Ough, what I do like about the reading is the meat and potatoes type of player we have avoided under lord Voldemort

Taking one every draft should almost be mandatory and cut the lowest denominator at years end
Hobbs was exactly a meat and potatoes type. He has 0 parts to his game that set him apart. I don’t mind looking for role types but you still need to target guys with elite types to there game. Stuff that can be a pov for them

Hobbs was exactly a meat and potatoes type. He has 0 parts to his game that set him apart. I don’t mind looking for role types but you still need to target guys with elite types to there game. Stuff that can be a pov for them
Hobbs is more than a meat and potatoes guy in my opinion. He is a very good inside midfielder. He is just another we are not playing there.

I don’t mind him, not the quickest but can play a range of roles and is fairly clean and composed with the ball. He sits in the 25-45 range for me
Funnily enOUGH, this link popped up in my news feed today. Just so happens that he’s a mad Essendon fan. Might be a bit of an OUGHmen. Welcome to Essendon Jackoff.

Funnily enOUGH, this link popped up in my news feed today. Just so happens that he’s a mad Essendon fan. Might be a bit of an OUGHmen. Welcome to Essendon Jackoff.

“I’m a tall midfielder at around 194cm, I started on the wing in the first half of the year, then moved more inside in the back-end of the year, so I’ve got that inside and outside balance, and I’m versatile as well,” Ough said on SEN Afternoons.

Hm. key defender it is

And 8cm taller than Dermott Brereton 😮
Makes you wonder what position some of these guys would play now if they'd grown up in this era.
Gary Ablett Sr 185cm
Glenn Archer 182cm
Dermott Brereton 186cm
Wayne Carey 192cm
Terry Daniher 188cm
Jason Dunstall 188cm
Ross Glendinning 188cm
Tony Lockett 191cm
Tony Modra 188cm
Paul Roos 188cm
Stephen Silvagni 191cm

Last edited:
Makes you wonder what position some of these guys would play now if they'd grown up in this era.
Gary Ablett Sr 185cm
Glenn Archer 182cm
Dermott Brereton 186cm
Wayne Carey 192cm
Terry Daniher 188cm
Jason Dunstall 188cm
Ross Glendinning 188cm
Tony Lockett 191cm
Tony Modra 188cm
Paul Roos 188cm
Stephen Silvagni 191cm
Roos became the prototype attacking HB so that’s a given. SOS would’ve struggled against the talls now but always held his own against the bulky full forwards so he’d have been a defensive utility. TD a hf or hb. Modra excelled when one-out so not sure how he’d have gone as a focal point. Might’ve struggled a bit in the modern game I reckon. Carey still a CHF. Ablett, whatever he likes. Lockett would still be a FF. Dunstall too as he got separation and his leading patterns were spot on. Glendinning a flanker. Archer would still hold his own. Brereton, a third tall forward. He was handy at ground level too before injury caught up with him.

They were all instinctive players though and I’m sure they’d have adapted their game to suit.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Gary Ablett Sr 185cm
Glenn Archer 182cm
Dermott Brereton 186cm
Wayne Carey 192cm
Terry Daniher 188cm
Jason Dunstall 188cm
Ross Glendinning 188cm
Tony Lockett 191cm
Tony Modra 188cm
Paul Roos 188cm
Stephen Silvagni 191cm
Ablett, Lockett etc would still play forward, there'd just be some lumbering 200cm dinosour getting in their leading lanes.

They’d mostly play 3rd tall. Or HB.

Imagine Jake Stringer back then he’d be unstoppable as the biggest player on the field

Roos became the prototype attacking HB so that’s a given. SOS would’ve struggled against the talls now but always held his own against the bulky full forwards so he’d have been a defensive utility. TD a hf or hb.
Roos was amazing - saw him dominate for Fitzroy at the WACA one night when WCE were virtually a state of origin team. Under severe heat most of the night, didn't fumble, good decision maker and just kept clunking them and repelling attacks.

Not sure how SOS would have been viewed had the umps actually applied the rules properly. No doubt a very good player and even put up some exceptional match winning performances up forward but got away with ridiculous stuff he shouldn't have.

I think the incredible natural power unique to Dunstall, Lockett and Ablett they could still play FF. Like when Dangerfield would get thrown full forward forward it was a nightmare matchup. Too quick for KPPs and too strong for flankers to deal with. The increased congestion would be harder for them but would still be guns there.

Hobbs is more than a meat and potatoes guy in my opinion. He is a very good inside midfielder. He is just another we are not playing there.
What sets him apart from other 180cm inside mids? Durham went past him pretty quick and Caldwell is keeping him out. Not much room for him because he isn’t better then those we have

Remove this Banner Ad

Recruiting AFL Draft Watch 2024 - What do we do, we don't have a top 10 pick?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back