Recruiting AFL Draft Watch 2024 - What do we do, we have a top 10 pick?

Remove this Banner Ad

Sheezel was a fwd/mid
O’Sullivan Judy still awaiting trial
Curtain ditto, we’d me and NWM played wing at times this year. Andrew and athletic freak
Who is Tom Brown?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
who is judy and why is she awaiting trial ? :p

Sheezel was a fwd/mid
Curtain ditto, we’d me and NWM played wing at times this year. Andrew and athletic freak
Who is Tom Brown?

McKercher a mid as well.Plus the likes of Moore and Blakey, a ruck forward and CHF. Most successful top ten junior defender recently is Naughton and hes not even playing in that position.

I think generally if you finish low enough to get a top ten pick your system isnt good enough to protect and develop them and their presence isnt going to move the culture or system forward. Its interesting that majority who have been successful have gone to already good teams.

Last edited:

Taru seems like a Ridley replacement

Looks like he will be a good player and there’s a gap for that type of player in the VFL.

I’m lukewarm on the idea because it just seems like a waste due to obvious needs in the AFL side where a first year player could come in straight away.

But also because I’m not a big believer in investing in 3rd tall types. Easiest position to find players that can make an instant impact
How often have you seen him play live?
I would draft him as a forward.
Him and caddy athletic forward duo.
Smashed Jack Whitlock at port Melbourne earlier in the year.
Last time I checked jayden laverde got a game every week as well.
A versatile tall forward would be high up in our needs I would have thought.

Tauru gives me Aaron Francis vibes, his highlight reel is similar to the sort of stuff Franga was doing as a junior too.
Aaron did not jump over players like Alex can.
Another boring safe one paced mid is the last thing bombers need.
We are a boring one paced side.
Bringing in tauru and kako make us fun to watch and both athletic and competitive.
Besides Nate caddy and to a lesser extent Sam Durham we are a big average side to watch.

Sheezel was a fwd/mid
Who is Tom Brown?

They’re all being deployed in the back half, ball use out of the back half and intercept marking is everything, so say ‘no one’s drafting defenders high’ is manifestly incorrect.

‘Who is Tom Brown’ says to me you’re not watching a lot of footy.

They’re all being deployed in the back half, ball use out of the back half and intercept marking is everything, so say ‘no one’s drafting defenders high’ is manifestly incorrect.

Most were drafted on the back of other positions if im not mistaken, all had applicable skill sets that were useful in the defensive end at AFL level.

Aaron did not jump over players like Alex can.
Another boring safe one paced mid is the last thing bombers need.
We are a boring one paced side.
Bringing in tauru and kako make us fun to watch and both athletic and competitive.
Besides Nate caddy and to a lesser extent Sam Durham we are a big average side to watch.

This is why I would love to bring in Lalon. A big powerful sort of kid. Someone who won't be afraid to take a game on.

McKercher a mid as well.Plus the likes of Moore and Blakey, a ruck forward and CHF. Most successful top ten junior defender recently is Naughton and hes not even playing in that position.

I think generally if you finish low enough to get a top ten pick your system isnt good enough to protect and develop them and their presence isnt going to move the culture or system forward. Its interesting that majority who have been successful have gone to already good teams.
yeh, not sure how many top shelf key defenders were taken inside the top 10 or so picks

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How often have you seen him play live?
I would draft him as a forward.
Him and caddy athletic forward duo.
Smashed Jack Whitlock at port Melbourne earlier in the year.
Last time I checked jayden laverde got a game every week as well.
A versatile tall forward would be high up in our needs I would have thought.

Haven’t seen him play live. Have watched some highlights

Think Sicily is your best case comp for Taru.

Laverde started the season in the VFL and got games when guys were hurt.

I would say that a 3rd tall is about the lowest thing on our list with the team struggling to fit Langford/Stringer and Jones in the side

defense feels similar where I’m holding out hope all of (or at least 2 of Reid/cox/Hayes) make it at afl level and 3rd tall is a great way to protect the bodies of young tall defenders.

Haven’t seen him play live. Have watched some highlights

Think Sicily is your best case comp for Taru.

Laverde started the season in the VFL and got games when guys were hurt.

I would say that a 3rd tall is about the lowest thing on our list with the team struggling to fit Langford/Stringer and Jones in the side

defense feels similar where I’m holding out hope all of (or at least 2 of Reid/cox/Hayes) make it at afl level and 3rd tall is a great way to protect the bodies of young tall defenders.
I would argue the opposite, a medium forward, especially a youngster capable of taking a mark is high up on our list needs. Bonus points if they may be able to push up the ground.

Stringer (31) isn't getting any younger, Langford (at 28) regressed this year and Jones is playing (below average) on a wing. Perkins was earmarked early in the year to move u the ground before forgetting how to football and that leaves us with immature small smalls unproven at the level whilst being gifted a free hit from the No Ball we had from Adrian Dodoro finally moving on from the club in Isaac Kako

People talk about the half back role (we had Roberts play in the 2s most of the year), we have Lual needing to develop, we have very little, if any medium/forwards for the future

Sheezel, McKercher, Connor O’Sullivan, Dan Curtain, Josh Weddle, Mac Andrew, Leek Aleer, Tom Browne, NWM.

Jets and point of difference players in there
Sheezel was a fwd mid

Curtin Played everywhere, onball entire champs

Mckercher onball

Mac Andrew Ruck/Fwd

What im saying is if i dont see them as anything more than a defender at some point at the top level id have a pretty general rule of not picking top 20

Ive always had the theory you can find defenders later to fill the void

The AA side suggest so

Andrews
Sicily
Stewart
Ryan
Sinclair
Houston

My only case would be if it was really the final missing piece of the puzzle

Also would depend on strength of the draft

Id be fine taking Travaglia because i think he could be an onballer at AFL level

Remove this Banner Ad

Recruiting AFL Draft Watch 2024 - What do we do, we have a top 10 pick?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back