Recruiting AFL Draft Watch 2024 - What do we do, we have a top 10 pick?

Remove this Banner Ad

Not exactly about spite (I will admit, there’s an element of that). If a club ahead of us bids on Kako, it’s likely a higher quality player slides through.

If a club bids ahead of us, and we REALLY want Kako then we probably have to trade into next years draft. But that’s a bit of a crapshoot. Who knows where that pick will be and the quality of that draft. I also think it’s a smart move for the club to put it out there that we’ll pick to our rankings. If other teams want Kako, they’d better be prepared to use a top 8 pick on him.
There should be a world where eth has stated that we can have a 2nd Future 1st and also get Kako

Youd think the 9th best kid in this pool available could be seen as pretty valuable to a few clubs

Does come back to how we rate everyone and whos available still

Im only concerned about Stkilda

My family is getting sick of me playing Bon Jovi Living on a Prayer on repeat as I still dream of a pre-Kako pick.

But if that ain’t reality…

Interesting to see a few value points coming through (from AFL.com below).

If we auctioned off our first - what’s it worth?

RACE FOR PICK 13 GETS HOTTER​

CARLTON has stepped up its bid for pick 13, with the Blues putting their future first and second-round picks up for grabs for the hotly pursued Gold Coast selection.

The choice is looming as critical in the race for Dan Houston as both Collingwood and Carlton hunt the pick along with a host of other clubs, including Melbourne, Sydney and the Western Bulldogs.

The Demons and Bulldogs have both offered their future first-round pick in exchange for Gold Coast's pick 13, while the Swans have put forward picks 19 and 22.

Essendon, which is chasing extra picks in this year's draft to help match a bid for NGA prospect Isaac Kako, is seen as a potential trading partner for the pick swap, though a number of other clubs will be in the mix.

He would be an excellent choice if we haven't had a Kako bid imo
He may be the choice if Kako does attract a bid and we have not traded out . Word is we really rate him.

Would not be a total shock to me if we held our first pick for Alix Tauru .
As you know, I have been a fan way earlier than most.
The only blokes I would draft in front of him are Ashcroft, smith and Lalor.
I now have him in front of O’Sullivan and Langford.
I still rate hotton extremely high as well.
I don’t think Alex gets past the saints to be truthful.
They were putting significant time into him at combine I understand.
I have heard that tauru and Lindsay may be their one two punch.

My family is getting sick of me playing Bon Jovi Living on a Prayer on repeat as I still dream of a pre-Kako pick.

CARLTON has stepped up its bid for pick 13, with the Blues putting their future first and second-round picks up for grabs for the hotly pursued Gold Coast selection.

The choice is looming as critical in the race for Dan Houston as both Collingwood and Carlton hunt the pick along with a host of other clubs, including Melbourne, Sydney and the Western Bulldogs.

The Demons and Bulldogs have both offered their future first-round pick in exchange for Gold Coast's pick 13, while the Swans have put forward picks 19 and 22.

Essendon, which is chasing extra picks in this year's draft to help match a bid for NGA prospect Isaac Kako, is seen as a potential trading partner for the pick swap, though a number of other clubs will be in the mix.

More then that because pick 13 likely gets pushed out to 16 after Ashcroft/Kako/Lombard bids

Our pick assuming we don’t have a first to incentivise an early bid on Kako will be 10 or 11 which is in that first tier of players.

There’s definitely a world where we can turn our first into 2 future firsts.

When you add potential matches (Ashcroft, Kako, Lombard and Windsor) that pushes that Gold Coast pick out to 16 or 17

So what would you expect to use to trade up from 17-10 is the difference in value

Yep you gave me the tip to have a closer look at Tauru in July :thumbsu:
Seriously anything could happen this year I suspect as it is hard to get a line on exactly who likes who.
Hotton is a jet. If he comes through his rehab well which I hear he has so far he may be a steel if he lobs in the teens.
Lindsay would certainly put a bit off class by foot into the Saints game to go with NWM.

All i want to know is whether the saints interviewed Kako

Not watched Tauru, but super unsure on the player type. Seems a bit of an all over type, that were unsure on his best position. Id assume hes a 3rd tall defender if down back (which we dont need)

Would be very happy for saints to take Lindsay and Tauru

We will just pick whoevers left of

Lalor
FOS
Draper
Jagga
Smilie
Langford
M.Reid (Prefer Allen)

Not exactly about spite (I will admit, there’s an element of that). If a club ahead of us bids on Kako, it’s likely a higher quality player slides through.

If a club bids ahead of us, and we REALLY want Kako then we probably have to trade into next years draft. But that’s a bit of a crapshoot. Who knows where that pick will be and the quality of that draft. I also think it’s a smart move for the club to put it out there that we’ll pick to our rankings. If other teams want Kako, they’d better be prepared to use a top 8 pick on him.
I think that we have an opportunity to get three first round talents through in two years. If we have two firsts next year it not only opens more draft opportunities but more trade opportunities for us. There are guys like Bobby Hill, Neil Erasmus and Ollie Dempsey OOC next year at a minimum.

I think that we have an opportunity to get three first round talents through in two years. If we have two firsts next year it not only opens more draft opportunities but more trade opportunities for us. There are guys like Bobby Hill, Neil Erasmus and Ollie Dempsey OOC next year at a minimum.
The opportunity to get a third 1st rounder is definitely alive.

I’ll soften my stance a little. I really hope we don’t ignore a potential star available at our pick because we’ve put the blinkers on and decided it’s more important to take Kako.

Hypothetically, we might have a player we rate in the top 3 available at 9. Maybe we only rank Kako as the 15th best player. I’d hope we don’t trade into next years draft in this scenario.

That hurts. Lindsay is at the top of my list.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Recruiting AFL Draft Watch 2024 - What do we do, we have a top 10 pick?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back