Recruiting AFL Draft Watch 2024 - What do we do, we have a top 10 pick?

Remove this Banner Ad

It’s very lame and typical that we don’t have Richmond or Carlton’s hand in this draft, but at this point getting capital for next year and some second rounders is probably the best we can do since our first pick is gonna go to Kako regardless
I’d rather our club be proactive and trade our future first to move up. We need the young players now. Not later.

OK, now it seems we are moving pick 9

So, I am hoping J. Whitlock slides to 28 and 31 we look at Cooper Hynes- great power runner with a quick burst I've heard.
These two with Kako and Nguyen would be a solid draft.
28 and 31 will go in the Kako bid.

I’d rather our club be proactive and trade our future first to move up. We need the young players now. Not later.
Think I prefer to spread the risk out. Would have been good to use 9 and kako but trading out still gives us kako plus more options. If we trade up then we also have to make a few trades to stop us from going into deficit next year and losing that first round pick.

That is a very, very good deal for us and still leaves the door open for us to trade back in on draft night if someone is on the clock and doesn’t like what they see.

Dees could go either way but if it goes south I reckon it goes all the way south.

Quick rough back of a napkin job.

9 is currently worth 1469 points, so a bid at pick 9 requires 1176 points after the application of the 20% discount.

28 and 31 cover that comfortably with some leftover with no dramas about going into deficit. Plus 40 probably comes in a little bit to still provide a second selection in the top 40 and we have the flexibility of probably 2 top 10 picks next year.

One question to the boffins is how the leftovers come back to us after we match? Do they slot in at the back of the draft?

You need to get your list manager to read this.
You can easily get around a bid on kako by trading 9 to whoever has 10 before the draft, then after they use pick 9 on draft night, they live trade you pick 10 for you to use.
Trade 9 for 20,F3,F4 with Richmond pre draft.
After they use pick 9, they trade you 10 for F2,F3.
That's assuming Richmond get 10 for Bolton.

Smart play for sure.

Likely means Dees won’t bid on kako

If saints don’t too could have saved us a lot of points and turned a pick 6 bid (5 + Ashcroft) into a pick 12+ which will save a lot of points

Annoyingly it means Dees will have taken 4 top 10 picks in 2 years while still mostly being pretty good. So that’s going to extend their window.

But if you have to bet against one of these non playoff teams not making it next year you’d probably rather bet Melbourne miss then Collingwood and Freo.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Recruiting AFL Draft Watch 2024 - What do we do, we have a top 10 pick?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back