AFL Dream Team 2008

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wanted to start a new thread but I am unable to due to being new here. Maybe someone can start it for me?

Anyway what I wanted to discuss was does anyone have a 'checklist' they use to ensure each player in their team is likely to succeed?

For example I like to check that:

My midfielders are classed as 'inside' midfielders
Defenders are classed as 'general'
Forwards are classed as 'key'
Players have a reasonably high consistency
Players have a high 'points per minute'
Players have high durability (i.e. they played at least 18 games last year)

The two obvious points here are that
a) you need the AFL prospectus, and
b) new players need to be taken with a grain of salt as we don't have access to their stats from the lower leagues.

Interested to see if anyone else has similar criteria?

Having trouble with the following choices:
Option A:
Mattner, Barlow, Bartel, Prismall, Houli, S Johnson, Reid
or
Option B:
Brett Jones, Hurn, Priddis, Salopek, N.Stevens, Hawkins, Dew

Rest of the squad is set but just can't make a call on which way to go with thes players. Option A provides me with 2 guns in Bartel and S.Johnson but a bit more risk with players like Barlow, Reid, Prismall & Houli meaning I might have to trade up too early. While Option B is devoid of guns it does have a lot more surety about it which means I will be less likely requiring trades.

Sub 300 out of those i favour Houli and Armitage but Armitage has a tough jiob breaking ionto that midfield if all are fit. I;d guess though he's a damn good chance to start on the bench 1st game whereas i reckon the Dons will play Houli as an integral cog from the start. Gibbs maybe in SC but not for me in DT, Stevens a risk but risk is greatly reduced by everyone having him. You can always target any of these guys between rnd 2/3 round 2 if one stands out as a must.
300-400 i wouldnt choose Goodes until early mid season. he's not a qualtity guy until late season and there always seems to be a cheap time to grab him later. Dont like Salopek but nor real reason...nor pendlebury..cross and johnstone represent the best value amongst those u mentioned.
i'd like to go in with Riewoldt but didnt like that ice pack on his knee despite it being "nothing".
if buying 400+ guys think which u would want as captains coz that will determine your actual faith in them to warrant the monsy.

no guarantee chad is going to have a huge season either
In Nab Gibbs has scored: 36 93 76 67 and average is 68 which is in real season he would be 85k more. Certainly will go up in price, no doubt.

Trading in round 2/3 would be a waste of a trade imo, they dont even change prices until round 3.

Goodes is a player you can leave in ur side the whole season. Idk why u think hes only good after mid season

Salopek has gone incredibly well in preseason with scores of 115 80 96

Pendlebury is young and will only improve.

Out of the ones i mentioned i have Goodes and Cross between 300-400k

The 400k+ players are all around the same imo, if theres injury concerns can just change to BJ or Chappy. Theres not much 400k+ guys and the ones that are are generally very good hence their price. With so many 400k+ you have good options for captain

I wanted to start a new thread but I am unable to due to being new here. Maybe someone can start it for me?

Anyway what I wanted to discuss was does anyone have a 'checklist' they use to ensure each player in their team is likely to succeed?

For example I like to check that:

Players have a reasonably high consistency
Players have a high 'points per minute'
Players have high durability (i.e. they played at least 18 games last year)

a) you need the AFL prospectus, and
b) new players need to be taken with a grain of salt as we don't have access to their stats from the lower leagues.

Interested to see if anyone else has similar criteria?

Good call Turbo. I do something similar in head, but less formally. I'm not sure if I agree with needing "inside midfielders" - depeds exactly what you mean. Someone who sits out of the pack and receives the ball the easy way is ok by me for DT.

Outside midfielders can rack them up. See Heath Scotland.
General defenders are a must.
General fwds are great value. G.Ablett last year and Paul Chapman.

I don't make 'rules' because there are always players that defy them.

Having trouble with the following choices:
Option A:
Mattner, Barlow, Bartel, Prismall, Houli, S Johnson, Reid
or
Option B:
Brett Jones, Hurn, Priddis, Salopek, N.Stevens, Hawkins, Dew

Rest of the squad is set but just can't make a call on which way to go with thes players. Option A provides me with 2 guns in Bartel and S.Johnson but a bit more risk with players like Barlow, Reid, Prismall & Houli meaning I might have to trade up too early. While Option B is devoid of guns it does have a lot more surety about it which means I will be less likely requiring trades.
Downgrade Bartel to a Cross
change Johnson to more reliable 400k+ eg Pav, BJ or Riewoldt
IMO Bradshaw>Barlow
Prismall might not get many games go Stevens instead
Keep Reid, Houli and Mattner

I still can't figure out why every single team has Cross. He's over 400K and he's not the K.Cornes/Bartel/S.Thompson league. Same goes for Salopek, every single team i've seen has him. Have i missed something Salopek still has Cassisi, Cornes, Cornes, Burgoyne, Burgoyne, Boak and Pearce to contend with.

Why does everybody have them. And i mean everybody.

In Nab Gibbs has scored: 36 93 76 67 and average is 68 which is in real season he would be 85k more. Certainly will go up in price, no doubt.

Trading in round 2/3 would be a waste of a trade imo, they dont even change prices until round 3.

Goodes is a player you can leave in ur side the whole season. Idk why u think hes only good after mid season

Salopek has gone incredibly well in preseason with scores of 115 80 96

Pendlebury is young and will only improve.

Out of the ones i mentioned i have Goodes and Cross between 300-400k

The 400k+ players are all around the same imo, if theres injury concerns can just change to BJ or Chappy. Theres not much 400k+ guys and the ones that are are generally very good hence their price. With so many 400k+ you have good options for captain
You asked for opinions..i told you mine.. and now u want to explain the benefits of all of yours ?

1. Goodes is a class above second half of season but never been in my DT teams...only SC. Dont care what u think of him.
2. You didnt think to ASSUME i was talking about the price changes 2/3 ? if u cant figure out what i said then you're in strife already.
3. I dont care how Salopek went preseason.
4. i dont care if pendlebury is young and improving...just about every player has that tag and it still isnt part of the scoring system.

Downgrade Bartel to a Cross
change Johnson to more reliable 400k+ eg Pav, BJ or Riewoldt
IMO Bradshaw>Barlow
Prismall might not get many games go Stevens instead
Keep Reid, Houli and Mattner
With the options I put up the players swap with the opposite player i.e. Bartel changes to Priddis, Prismall to Salopek and so on. Already have Pav.

You asked for opinions..i told you mine.. and now u want to explain the benefits of all of yours ?

1. Goodes is a class above second half of season but never been in my DT teams...only SC. Dont care what u think of him.
2. You didnt think to ASSUME i was talking about the price changes 2/3 ? if u cant figure out what i said then you're in strife already.
3. I dont care how Salopek went preseason.
4. i dont care if pendlebury is young and improving...just about every player has that tag and it still isnt part of the scoring system.
Actually i was giving an opinion which u disagreed with, so i explained why i thought that.
CBF Replying to ur crap now..

Lenny Hayes and Brock McLean are interesting. Last years scores are a bit down because of injury or recovery from injury. Could be looking at bigger years in 08.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I still can't figure out why every single team has Cross. He's over 400K and he's not the K.Cornes/Bartel/S.Thompson league. Same goes for Salopek, every single team i've seen has him. Have i missed something Salopek still has Cassisi, Cornes, Cornes, Burgoyne, Burgoyne, Boak and Pearce to contend with.

My reasoning with regards to Salopek is its called a hunch, 20 odd possies a game last 2 years including 9 of 16 games last year with 20+, is not likley to get tagged as often as the others, seems to have had a good preseason.

I can answer for Cross not for Salopek. Cross is amazingly consistent, will never get tagged, lots of tackles, lots of marks, does handball a little to much but that i can live with it. I think definatley can come close to Cornes and Bartel, maybe a few points less. He is 100k less than Bartel and 70k less than Cornes. Will average 100 and at his price is a bargain. I can't see any reason not to have him, first picked in my team.

Didn't realise sorry but my opinion is still the same. Wouldnt my idea work?

Why only limit urself to 2 options?
Comes from not having the ability to gain anything from DT this year (except bragging rights, see below), as my employer sponsors the thing, so I can't win any prizes at all. So why put in a huge amount of effort if you're not going to be able to win the comp( not that I think I would have anyway). However as I am involved in a couple of competitive leagues I can gain some bragging rights so I want to have a good a chance as possible to at least win them.

And before you ask why I even bother putting up posts then, well I can still join in the discussions about players and maybe give some advice/help to others.

Lenny Hayes and Brock McLean are interesting. Last years scores are a bit down because of injury or recovery from injury. Could be looking at bigger years in 08.

McLean would have been a lock for me if TJ was still at the dees. But is nearly certain to get the number one tag and hasn't really handle it to well in the past. I was tossing up between Hayes and Priddis, just looking for something different and went for Priddis. Hayes will score very well IMO should average roughly 95-100.

I would say most teams have him because he appears to be priced in. In 2006 he averaged 102 and last year for the first 10 rounds before his knee blew up he averaged 106.

Given he is priced at 93 because he was "managed" coming back from injury last year, he is on a lot of radars. In a lot of ways very similar to Lenny. Both of them had 10-15 mins less TOG than usual last year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo5
a) you need the AFL prospectus,

No you don't.

If you look at the whole post, my point was that if you want to know stats such as points per minute, consistency, durability etc you need the prospectus. Unless you have another source that you can get that from?

dreamteamco3.png

thoughts ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back