News AFL Drugs Claims Bombshell

Remove this Banner Ad

Probably?
Come again.

So now every player that is managed or is reported with general soreness or say hamstring awareness and misses is now basically going to be suspected as being a druggie?

Tex's back spasms?
Unfortunately yes.

As unlikely as it may actually be.

Unless the AFL come out strong and disprove these claims, that is now a perception.

Yeah Tex included.

Back spasms after picking up his kid. Likely to be true. But.....

On SM-A325F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Having drugs in your system isnt illegal just FYI.

Only possessing them or selling them.
Really? I am unsure.

I guess cops only test for drugs while driving.

It is still a workplace covering up an illegal activity. You need to possess the drug at some point to get in your system...

Really? I am unsure.

I guess cops only test for drugs while driving.

It is still a workplace covering up an illegal activity. You need to possess the drug at some point to get in your system...

Thats the way I see the law working.
Cant drive or do many things while under the influence of it, but being on it isnt illegal by itself.

If someone hands you a plate and you sniff, technically you've never been in possession. I mean we're talking technicalities here.

The sooner we move to drug decriminalisation ala Portugal the better. Spend the money on helping drug addicted people rather than hunting them down and prosecuting them.

The thing is, the AFL are effectively condoning recreational drug taking by its players. Don’t worry if you are on drugs, we will check if it’s still in your system and if is just feign an injury.

I’m also presuming players get paid whilst injured? So they are getting paid whilst missing games due to drugs. Like WTF.

Good to know our taxes via government funding and our memberships are funding players missing games because they’ve taken drugs.

“The allegations include the prevalence of drug abuse and other prohibited behaviour across the AFL, off the books drug-testingof players at Dorevitch Pathology in Heidelberg, facilitated by the former chief medical officer of the AFL Peter Harcourt, the resting of players testing positive in these secret tests, ostensibly on account of injury, wilful inaction by AFL chairman Richard Goyder, and former CEO Gill McLachlan ….

“The documents in my possession also indicate a shocking unwillingness of senior AFL executives to address drug abuse by players and executives, particularly in relation to cocaine use.

“For instance here are very detailed notes of a telephone meeting between Gill McLachlan, Richard Goyder and Glen Bartlett.”

The above is the problem

I don’t think it’s a problem. The AFL implemented a separate illicit drugs scheme to the maximum extent that the players would agree to. Outside of that, they have no responsibility or control. If clubs are engaging with their players to test outside of the AFL regime and then withdraw players, then that’s a club issue. And it’s likely to be a private matter between player and doctor.

There seems to be a connection with AFL courtesy of an ex-employee. That reeks of sensationalism. I’m not sure what people would decent clubs to do if a player came to them and said they took drugs and are worried about testing positive. You expect them to alert the AFL and count it as a strike? Or just let them run the gauntlet and up where Smith currently is?

Isn’t the allegation testing was done with help of AFL doctor?

And the league has a drugs policy they have trumpeted. You can’t have a drug policy and then do private testing to get around your own drug policy.

I’ve read “ex” doctor, but not current. I doubt this is the AFL running anything. It’ll be a club doing this off their own back. Like construction and mining companies doing piss tests before workers can start on site.

I’ve read “ex” doctor, but not current. I doubt this is the AFL running anything. It’ll be a club doing this off their own back. Like construction and mining companies doing piss tests before workers can start on site.
My interpretation of that is he wasn’t ex at the time, but he’s no longer that.

The AFL have the contract with the testing facility

I don’t think it’s a problem. The AFL implemented a separate illicit drugs scheme to the maximum extent that the players would agree to. Outside of that, they have no responsibility or control. If clubs are engaging with their players to test outside of the AFL regime and then withdraw players, then that’s a club issue. And it’s likely to be a private matter between player and doctor.

There seems to be a connection with AFL courtesy of an ex-employee. That reeks of sensationalism. I’m not sure what people would decent clubs to do if a player came to them and said they took drugs and are worried about testing positive. You expect them to alert the AFL and count it as a strike? Or just let them run the gauntlet and up where Smith currently is?

If there's a policy saying "taking this drug is considered cheating" and clubs are taking steps to avoid players being tested knowing they'd be banned if they were caught... I mean that's a clear issue

I guess it depends whether WADA considers players exiting a competition to avoid a positive test as an issue

People need to understand that the term "out of competition" does not mean any day but game day. It means off season. So during the season, regardless of game day or otherwise, is "in competition"

Apparently that isn't the case

"The In-Competition period commences at 11.59pm the night before a competition in which an athlete is scheduled to compete, through to the end of that competition and any sample collection process undertaken."

I would assume that means the competition is the match or event, not the entire season

(Log in to remove this ad.)

AFL drugs bombshell: MP tells federal parliament of secret illicit drug tests allegedly authorised by league’s top medico​

Federal parliament has been told of secret illicit drug tests allegedly authorised by the AFL’s top medico to help players evade detection on match day.

A Melbourne Football Club doctor has sensationally admitted to conducting “off the books” illicit drug tests – allegedly authorised by the AFL – to help players evade detection on match day.
The doctor-turned-whistleblower says players who confessed to having taken drugs in the days before an AFL game were given secret tests to ensure their systems were clear or were advised to “fake an injury” so they would not risk being tested and suspended for breaches of the World Anti-Doping Agency code.

Federal MP Andrew Wilkie told parliament on Tuesday night he had received a signed statement from former Demons head doctor Zeeshan Arain in which he accuses the AFL of facilitating the clandestine drug tests at Dorevitch Pathology in Heidelberg.

Mr Wilkie called on Prime Minister Anthony Albanese to intervene in the scandal.
In a stunning address in parliament, Mr Wilkie said: “I rise to bring the house’s attention deeply troubling allegations of egregious misconduct within the AFL provided by former Melbourne football club president Glen Bartlett, former Melbourne football club doctor Zeeshan Arain and Shaun Smith, father of Melbourne player and now alleged drug trafficker Joel Smith.

“The allegations include the prevalence of drug abuse and other prohibited behaviour across the AFL, off the books drug-testing of players at Dorevitch Pathology in Heidelberg, facilitated by the former chief medical officer of the AFL Peter Harcourt, the resting of players testing positive in these secret tests, ostensibly on account of injury, wilful inaction by AFL chairman Richard Goyder, and former CEO Gill McLachlan….

“Here is what happened as has been described to me: The AFL wants the player to play at all costs and so the cover up begins.

“If there are no illegal drugs in the player’s system they are free to play and if there are drugs in their system the player is often asked to fake an injury.

“They are advised to lie about a condition, while the results of the off-the-book tests are kept secret and are never shared with Sports Integrity Australia or WADA.

“In other words, hundreds of thousands of Australians will watch the game not knowing that the game has been secretly manipulated by the AFL and thousands of Australians will bet on that game not knowing the game has been secretly manipulated by the AFL.”

The AFL had a longstanding contract with Dorevitch Pathology to conduct testing for its controversial out-of-competition illicit drugs code.
Match day drug tests are conducted by SIA officers under the world anti-doping code.

The stunning claims are likely to draw the interest of WADA chiefs, SIA and the Albanese Government, which has responsibilities under the global anti-doping code.

Mr Wilkie said the allegations were deeply troubling and called on Prime Minister Anthony Albanese to review the signed statements and “personally intervene in this matter”.

The Independent MP said he had also obtained statements from former Melbourne president Glen Bartlett and the father of accused Demons cocaine trafficker Joel Smith.

Smith failed an anti-doping drugs test last August after traces of cocaine were detected in his system from a urine sample taken by SIA testers on match-day.

He has since been accused by SIA of cocaine trafficking and faces a lifetime ban from sport.

Cocaine is considered to be a performance-enhancing substance if detected on game day.

Dr Arain was sacked by the Demons in October 2020 after eight years as head doctor – just days after raising serious concerns about the club’s culture with chief executive Gary Pert.

Lawyers for Dr Arain hit the club with an unlawful dismissal claim, which led to a significant settlement.
Dr Harcourt, an AFL life member who became embroiled in the Essendon drugs scandal, stepped down as the league’s chief medical officer in October 2021.

The AFL and Melbourne are being contacted for comment.
Not surprised, shit run vic biased competition run by laywers. Go back to your grassroots and support your local community and competition. Way more rewarding.

People need to understand that the term "out of competition" does not mean any day but game day. It means off season. So during the season, regardless of game day or otherwise, is "in competition"
Is cocaine specifically though only considered performance enhancing on match day?

They keep going on about players private medical information and confidentiality.

But a regular WADA piss test would be the same but isn’t confidential?

If you work at the mines, you take a drug test and the employer gets the details?

Hell, I drive and get pulled over for a tongue scrape that finds meth in my system, it becomes a police matter.

Why is this different?

The issue for me is the AFL playing both sides.

On the one hand they have a three strikes drug policy and will happily suspend players when they are publicly caught in possession of drugs.

Simultaneously they are allowing and possibly even facilitating a system where players can avoid any penalties for drug use if they cover it up and lie (fake an injury). While also saying that's totally fine.

So which is it? Are drugs bad and worthy of strikes and suspensions? Or is it not a big deal so long as you test and don't play? Why have a system to issue penalties if you're going to undermine it secretly?

Remember all the “psychological” issues players have been going through. Unable to play. Now we know it’s was probably a positive illicit drug test.

The issue for me is the AFL playing both sides.

On the one hand they have a three strikes drug policy and will happily suspend players when they are publicly caught in possession of drugs.

Simultaneously they are allowing and possibly even facilitating a system where players can avoid any penalties for drug use if they cover it up and lie (fake an injury). While also saying that's totally fine.

So which is it? Are drugs bad and worthy of strikes and suspensions? Or is it not a big deal so long as you test and don't play? Why have a system to issue penalties if you're going to undermine it secretly?
They secretly undermine it because the expectations of fitness have got so high alcohol as a stress release is not viable.

For some guys, they need that release. Coke is ideal substitute for some guys.

So turn a blind eye to allow this to happen.

I believe a big reason US sports are not WADA signatories is because of the ability to turn a blind eye to recreational drug use with their own Doping Codes.

AFL relies on Government funding, and needs to be a WADA compliant organisation for that funding.

Cocaine is only tested for on match-days. But there's no "I used cocaine at 11pm last night" defence
Yeah that’s what I mean though

AFL clearly understand there’s nothing against WADA rules for a player to be using it during the week and so they’re stopping them taking the field and breaking rules

If cocaine was categorised as performance enhancing to use in season at all (ie training bevefits) but only tested for in match day this would have then in the shit big time (imagine if this was happening with steroids). But it seems that while it feels dodgy and opens up many other discussions, from a WADAperspective I doubt there’s going to be any significant fallout based on them testing for something not considered performance enhancing at that point

As well as being a signatory to World Anti-Doping Agency (WADA) code via the Australian Football Anti-Doping Code, the AFL has an Illicit Drug Policy which has been in place since 2005, and at the core of the policy is a commitment to player wellbeing and welfare.

The AFL Illicit Drug Policy (IDP) is a policy that specifically deals with the use of illicit substances out of competition and is focussed on player health and well-being. The policy seeks to reduce substance use and drug-related harms for AFL players and aims to inform and rehabilitate players through education and intervention.

It exists alongside and in addition to the Australian Football Anti-Doping Code which covers prohibited substances including some illicit substances in competition as prescribed by the WADA prohibited list.

Urine tests conducted by doctors to determine if a player has used illicit substances are part of the AFL's Illicit Drug Policy medical model and have been for some time.

Doctors may use those urine tests to obtain an immediate result to determine whether any illicit substance remains in a player's system. This is normally conducted at the club or in the doctors consulting rooms.

If the test shows a substance is still in the players system, a doctor will take steps to prevent a player from taking part in either training and/or an AFL match both for their own health and welfare and because having illicit substances in your system on match day may be deemed performance enhancing and a breach of the Australian Football Anti-Doping Code (depending on the substance involved).

It is absolutely imperative that no doctor or club official should ever allow or encourage a player to take the field knowing they have recently taken an illicit substance that may be harmful to their health and/or may be deemed performance-enhancing (as many illicit substances are on match day).

We support the WADA code (as it applies to our sport through the Australian Football Anti-Doping Code) and support the fundamental premise on which it is founded that any player who takes the field with a performance-enhancing prohibited substance in their system should be treated in accordance with the Anti-Doping Code and face heavy sanctions.

The AFL observes that AFL players are not immune to the societal issues faced by young people with respect to illicit substances and also acknowledges that illicit drug use problems commonly co-occur with other mental health conditions.

While the AFL's medical model involves a multidisciplinary healthcare management plan, the monitoring of players is highly confidential. A doctor or healthcare professional generally cannot disclose the nature of the clinical intervention or condition to others unless the player willingly consents.

We understand that the Illicit Drugs Policy can be improved and we are working with the AFLPA and players to improve the policy and the system to ensure we are better able to change the behaviours of players. But we are unapologetic about club and AFL doctors taking the correct steps to ensure that any player who they believe has an illicit substance in their system does not take part in any AFL match and that doctor patient confidentially is upheld and respected.

The AFL will always be required to make decisions which seek to balance competing rights and interests. The medical interests and welfare of players is a priority for the AFL given everything we know about the risks facing young people generally and those who play our game in particular.
All of this is completely and utterly made worthless as soon as they implemented a system designed to avoid the exact codes they are talking about.

Yeah that’s what I mean though

AFL clearly understand there’s nothing against WADA rules for a player to be using it during the week and so they’re stopping them taking the field and breaking rules

If cocaine was categorised as performance enhancing to use in season at all (ie training bevefits) but only tested for in match day this would have then in the s**t big time (imagine if this was happening with steroids). But it seems that while it feels dodgy and opens up many other discussions, from a WADAperspective I doubt there’s going to be any significant fallout based on them testing for something not considered performance enhancing at that point
If it was a player independently checking whether they are safe to play, I'd agree. Even if they were an unrepetant coke fiend.

But the reported cases are specifically players that the AFL knows/suspects are using cocaine, players that are still intending to play despite this, players that are at risk of a positive test if they do play, and specifically for the purposes of avoiding said test.

They've essentially caught these players in the act of breaking the WADA code and are helping them escape the consequences.

It’s a bit fantastical. There’s employers that conduct these kinds of tests as standard pre-start routines. There’s no need to send the results to an outside party or have the AFL involved in the ‘conspiracy’. Just buy the tests by the box and test the players internally.
Incorrect.

If you have a “non negative“ result on your piss test in the mining or oil and gas industry.. the sample still gets sent to a pathology lab for final analysis to determine exactly what substance is causing the non negative.

If it was a player independently checking whether they are safe to play, I'd agree. Even if they were an unrepetant coke fiend.

But the reported cases are specifically players that the AFL knows/suspects are using cocaine, players that are still intending to play despite this, players that are at risk of a positive test if they do play, and specifically for the purposes of avoiding said test.

They've essentially caught these players in the act of breaking the WADA code and are helping them escape the consequences.
I don’t disagree but I think the afl must be confident they’re ok even if it is a technicality loophole

Remove this Banner Ad

News AFL Drugs Claims Bombshell

Remove this Banner Ad

Back