News AFL Drugs Claims Bombshell

Remove this Banner Ad

Is there a rug big enough?
1287902.gif

[edit: sorry - meant to post this on the main board]

As a parent, I hope my son chooses to play AFL. What a lovely bunch of administrators that help young men hide their drug use.

To those on here saying “who cares” - pull your ****ing heads in.

Sure, drug use doesn’t destroy the lives of most people that have used them, but how many of us know someone that has slid down that slope?

It is no the AFLs place to facilitate masking drug use - simple.

Not even a little bit surprised, my cousin who played AFL said the captain of his club was selling coke and if you didn't join him he'd make sure you weren't selected in the team and would say stuff like isn't a team player and doesn't gel well with the group and would dob you in for drinking alcohol instead on a night out with the footy lads.

Didn't have the Shinboner spirit?

Wait up haven’t they got a drugs policy involving strikes? So that’s all for show and they ignore the strikes?

I’m sure all sponsors will be happy with this approach.
Does it say they ignore the strikes?

There are two issues:
1. AFL has a strike policy on illicit drugs out of competition.
2. WADA has a ban policy on illicit drugs in competition.

Seems like AFL gives them an 'out of competition' test before the game (confidential, potentially a strike), to make sure they don't get an 'in competition' positive test (potentially a 2 year ban).

How crooked the media are. No one mentioning it. Guys like Gerard Whateley deathly silent. All puppets of the AFL. What a joke of a league.
Imagine if it happened at only one club, the Crows e.g. Would they be silent then?

However, I'm not sure they've had enough time to get their ducks in a row to be going hard immediately.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Interesting that article puts it on Melbourne even though the claims were that all clubs and the AFL were involved

AFL as expected saying nothing to see here

What they conveniently don’t point out is the loophole of self reporting not attracting a strike against the out of competition code.

Do while they say this process only relates to a small number of targeted tests, they are deliberately being deception knowing it can also be these volunteer cases, which in essence are the ones that the report is actually focusing on

At this point it appears the out of competition testing policy is an elaborate scheme to allow them to prevent in comp positive tests

If the AFL were serious they’d at least remove that loophole of self reporting which means players then couldn’t use this testing in the way being exposed here

Does it say they ignore the strikes?

There are two issues:
1. AFL has a strike policy on illicit drugs out of competition.
2. WADA has a ban policy on illicit drugs in competition.

Seems like AFL gives them an 'out of competition' test before the game (confidential, potentially a strike), to make sure they don't get an 'in competition' positive test (potentially a 2 year ban).
They waive strikes if it’s self reported and that’s where it can be used as a pre game check without consequence

What they conveniently don’t point out is the loophole of self reporting not attracting a strike against the out of competition code.

Do while they say this process only relates to a small number of targeted tests, they are deliberately being deception knowing it can also be these volunteer cases, which in essence are the ones that the report is actually focusing on

At this point it appears the out of competition testing policy is an elaborate scheme to allow them to prevent in comp positive tests

If the AFL were serious they’d at least remove that loophole of self reporting which means players then couldn’t use this testing in the way being exposed here
It seems pretty clear the drug strike policy is only to incentivise players to not be caught. If you're caught publicly, you get a strike, if no one knows that's ideal and you get off

So the AFL encourage players that have been using cocaine, to go to an AFL sanctioned site to be drug tested before a game. That way they can avoid testing positive on game day and having sanctions against them. And this is available to all players, in all States?

Sounds incredibly dodgy. They are literally encouraging players to cheat the system to avoid sanction from their own drug policies.

AFL: "Ok players, we are very serious about drugs in sport. We have introduced some of the most stringent drug policies in the World. No-one takes it as seriously as us. Oh and also, here is how you can do all the drugs you want, and we will help you cheat the system"
Marvel Studios Smile GIF by Disney+

As always when it comes to the AFL it is ALWAYS about PR and zero to do with morals or equity or fairness.

I wish this would bring the corrupt Victorian pricks to their knees and result in a broom running through that stinkhole. Of course it won't though.

Going to be interesting if the line is the one seemingly out there that this is the policy and it’s not news as they will now need to explain why coaches and CEOs aren’t aware of it
Every single player would have to know about it though, because the way it works was players self reporting so they could be preemptively tested. They'd have to know of this avenue to report.

Something smells off if thousands of players know but no one else at the clubs do. Sounds dodgy AF to me

Every single player would have to know about it though, because the way it works was players self reporting so they could be preemptively tested. They'd have to know of this avenue to report.

Something smells off if thousands of players know but no one else at the clubs do. Sounds dodgy AF to me

That's the bit that is unusual. Maybe they do exist but the AFL should have a 'clinic' in each city if this is all standard practice. It would also all be well known.

The whole thing is to protect the AFL brand. Drug testing is common place in many jobs but the AFLPA will run the line about how harsh the policies are.

Remove this Banner Ad

News AFL Drugs Claims Bombshell

Remove this Banner Ad

Back