FTA-TV AFL easily beats NRL on Friday night

Remove this Banner Ad

Chin up fellas. You're still the number 2 code in Australia. :D

you make a good point

being number 2 with only 1 team outside the heartlands makes pretty good reading in my opinion

we still are number 1 in 2 out of the 3 biggest markets by a fair margain..

no doubt the AFL will get their 1 billion, but me thinks the NRL can get at least 750mil this time

The mother fluffin.............. REGIONALS!!! GRRRR! ARRRRGH! BLAAAAARGH! :p

I've been waiting every day for someone to make a thread on it over at morons unlimited, but it still hasn't come. :( I was actually really hoping for a thread dedicated to conspiracies and excuses, particularly that the AFL own the media in Melbourne (Conveniently overlooking that NRL is owned by the most powerful media organization in Australia). :p I certainly hope they (AFL-haters™) come back soon... where else would I get my weekly laugh?

Chin up fellas. You're still the number 2 code in Australia. :D
And then pull out the "7 and 10 always talk about afl cause they get payed to, and 9 do it because they wanna suck afl's dick" :p

bloodsbigot said:
I've been waiting every day for someone to make a thread on it over at morons unlimited, but it still hasn't come. :(

Oh dear. You've actually been waiting there everyday for a thread on it? Poor bugger.

Surely you, mj, d&d and the others currently making friends over on LU have seen the tv ratings thread? Hard to argue with facts.

Oh dear. You've actually been waiting there everyday for a thread on it? Poor bugger.

Surely you, mj, d&d and the others currently making friends over on LU have seen the tv ratings thread? Hard to argue with facts.

I never make posts over there (Honestly, what's the point when I'm not a fan of rl and the AFL forum has no moderation against trolls?), but I do like to check out opinions regularly (Yep, pretty much every day. I have it on my Opera speed dial alongside bigfooty :p) and try to get a basic understanding of the RL obsession with the AFL. I get great enjoyment reading threads entitled 'our great games positive future' :p. That thread is hilarious I must say. Funny watching a group of paranoid guys sharing the same opinion to convince themselves that their game is so frickin' great.

It's just interesting for me to read about negative opinions on AFL as well as positive ones. When I first stumbled across the forum I was shocked and a little frustrated that people could be so closed-minded, but you grow used to it after a while and it actually becomes enjoyable when you realize that the more they complain the more successful the AFL is becoming.

successrate.png

Don't get me wrong dude. I don't particularly hate the NRL. I wish it well in the future and I think it holds a massive cultural significance in the northern states and it would be a massive shame if it went away. It's just the AFL bashing by NRL supporters in particular that I find amusing and takes my interest. I have never seen supporters of any code frothing at the mouth so much to the extent the forum members of LU are.

I admit as a leaguie that the AFL wins overall in the ratings, and everything else. I'm happy with the NRL being a strong number 2 sport considering the Melbourne Storm is the only non-heartland team. Over time, NRL will grow slowly with it's expansion back to Perth and create a niche there.

P.S: The hatred show for AFL at League Unlimited is unreal I mean it's only a sport they should respect people's choice of sport and get over it.

I admit as a leaguie that the AFL wins overall in the ratings, and everything else. I'm happy with the NRL being a strong number 2 sport considering the Melbourne Storm is the only non-heartland team. Over time, NRL will grow slowly with it's expansion back to Perth and create a niche there.

P.S: The hatred show for AFL at League Unlimited is unreal I mean it's only a sport they should respect people's choice of sport and get over it.

Onya mate.

I'd be more than happy for the Perth Reds to get up and running. I'm not particularly sure how long it will take for Perth Reds to create a niche, but it will happen if the NRL sticks to its guns and are a little ambitious like the AFL.

The SuperLeague wars really destroyed any self-esteem and integrity RL once had.

One more thing AuckMel, I'm very, very skeptical of any TV ratings I receive from anyone, because:
A) I admit ignorance on my behalf and I have a REALLY hard time understanding it all.
B) Whenever I try to understand it, everyone gives me different figures and people come to different conclusions. Regionals, number of people in the house watching, capitals are more important, Iron Chef... blah de frickin blah. It just sounds like a bunch of guys making up excuses and I will never take a TV ratings thread as solid proof from anywhere let alone a forum dedicated to a 'code war.'

TV ratings are subjective at best, I think. That's why the AFL is so solid, it can rely on something concrete like crowd figures to boost its reputation. To my understanding, TV ratings are only measured by about a thousand people, right?

bloodsbigot

Thanks for the positive response, the Super League war send league backwards if I was to go back in time that be the one thing I prevent from happening. It would be great to have NRL as a national comp which would mean more variety for the sporting audience. Super League and the worse administration on mankind ruined that. Plus I despise News Limited with a passion and I wish it went out of business during the global financial crisis didn't happen. It took the soul from league and turn it into a corporate sell-out.

bloodsbigot said:
It just sounds like a bunch of guys making up excuses and I will never take a TV ratings thread as solid proof from anywhere let alone a forum dedicated to a 'code war.'

You needn't worry about a forum dedicated to a "code war" as those are the very same numbers which have been posted in here since july.

bloodsbigot said:
and the AFL forum has no moderation against trolls?

We've had some reasonable discussions in the AFL section in the lead up to the Grand final and more people seem keen to join in if things get going. I've always found the guys on LU are quick to act on anyone who trolls the AFL section.

It's kind of ironic that the people who hurt the AFL section the most are (allegedly) Aussie Rules fans.

You needn't worry about a forum dedicated to a "code war" as those are the very same numbers which have been posted in here since july.

I'm trying to remain as unbiased as I can, but I really can't see it. I haven't seen anywhere near as many threads or posts in unrelated threads dedicated to or commenting on the 'code war' as I have on LU. Either the mods are just better here and delete them quickly or I just overlook them 'all.' Furthermore, does league unlimited have a subforum where they put deleted threads where only members can access (I think it's called the figt club)? I often see threads that I was having fun reading deleted within a few minutes of noticing them. Threads such as 'Fumbleball sucks,' etc.

We've had some reasonable discussions in the AFL section in the lead up to the Grand final and more people seem keen to join in if things get going. I've always found the guys on LU are quick to act on anyone who trolls the AFL section.

Yes, as of late during Finals I've been fairly surprised that some LU members are coming across as civilized on the AFL subforum. Before that though, there were only trolls. So yeah, I guess there are some exceptions.

I disagree about the mods acting quickly when people troll the AFL section.

It's kind of ironic that the people who hurt the AFL section the most are (allegedly) Aussie Rules fans.

Thank you for using the word 'allegedly.'

bloodsbigot said:
I'm trying to remain as unbiased as I can, but I really can't see it.

We're talking about the ratings numbers. What's in TFC is in this thread so you can take them as gospel.

bloodsbigot said:
I haven't seen anywhere near as many threads or posts in unrelated threads dedicated to or commenting on the 'code war' as I have on LU. Either the mods are just better here and delete them quickly or I just overlook them 'all.'

The mods here are sensational.

bloodsbigot said:
Furthermore, does league unlimited have a subforum where they put deleted threads where only members can access (I think it's called the figt club)? I often see threads that I was having fun reading deleted within a few minutes of noticing them. Threads such as 'Fumbleball sucks,' etc.

The Fight Club? Yes. LoL You actually mentioned it before remember?

bloodsbigot said:
Yes, as of late during Finals I've been fairly surprised that some LU members are coming across as civilized on the AFL subforum. Before that though, there were only trolls. So yeah, I guess there are some exceptions.

I wasn't surprised at all. There are plenty of Rugby league fans capable of liking both codes and contributing to a mature discussion.

bloodsbigot said:
Thank you for using the word 'allegedly.'

Well, it's hardly fair to call Xman and his mates Aussie Rules fans.

:D:D:D:D:D ....

Is it 7 or 9 that allow the regionals to televise footy (either code) for nothing, or nufink, or zilch .... :D:D:D:D:D

Thanks for the attention. I take a piss you come along and sniff it. :p

The 5 capital city OZtam ratings are used by networks and national advertisers in the main negotiation.

Regionals would get onsold but are not the main focus, certainly not the ratings numbers for the National advertisers and networks. Regionals also double count (GC) and do not include regional WA and SA.

Don't shoot the messenger. there ya go sniff sniff. :rolleyes:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

on behalf of all rugby league fans, we admit the AFL Grand Final is more popular than the NRL Grand Final..

The NRL gave it a good run, but yes fell short and it was a pretty even contest too with the teams involved being all melb in afl and all syd in the nrl..

Congrats to you guys and your ratings in 2010, the NRL does pretty..pretty..pretty good as a 2 state comp as you guys like to say ;)

Just remind all the rugby league fans who covet the 2 states mantra that those 2 states make up 55% of the Australian population. So it is the AFL that does well with just 45% as its heartland. :thumbsu:

you make a good point

being number 2 with only 1 team outside the heartlands makes pretty good reading in my opinion

no doubt the AFL will get their 1 billion, but me thinks the NRL can get at least 750mil this time

yet another excuse chestnut. The AFL up until 2010 has wait for it.... not 1 but an incredibly massive '2' teams outside its heartland. :rolleyes:

RL tried to have more than 1 but could not make it work if memory serves.

The AFL will move to a sizeable 3 by 2011 and 4 teams by 2012 and guess where those teams are going? Where 55% of the Aust pop resides. ;)

As has already been shown you do not have to dominate the state in a market just have a sizeable presence in non heartland areas and then build a national profile.

Just remind all the rugby league fans who covet the 2 states mantra that those 2 states make up 55% of the Australian population. So it is the AFL that does well with just 45% as its heartland. :thumbsu:

Redb, the AFL gets shown at a decent time on FTA in close to 100% of the population week in week out though. The NRL only get shown at a good time in that 55%, nowhere else.

Lions and Swans fans in QLD and NSW get their games either live or (at worst) an hour delay. Not to mention the fact that AFL has had a longer history in NSW and QLD than the NRL has had in their non heartlands. The NRL is holding its own pretty well

Redb, the AFL gets shown at a decent time on FTA in close to 100% of the population week in week out though. The NRL only get shown at a good time in that 55%, nowhere else.

Lions and Swans fans in QLD and NSW get their games either live or (at worst) an hour delay. Not to mention the fact that AFL has had a longer history in NSW and QLD than the NRL has had in their non heartlands. The NRL is holding its own pretty well

As is so often pointed out, the Swans often get outrated against the Iron Chef, so no one watches apparently. Is this now irrelevant. :rolleyes:

We are told no-one cares for the game in NSW and QLD, so the history of how long the AFL has been there is irrelevant isnt it? :p

As is so often pointed out, the Swans often get outrated against the Iron Chef, so no one watches apparently. Is this now irrelevant. :rolleyes:

Its not irrelevant. The Swans ratings in Sydney are poor but it'd still be much higher than what the Storm get in Melbourne in their weekly timeslot of around 12 - 2 in the morning(if they are shown at all).

My point was the AFL still have the advantage of getting good FTA coverage in all 5 states while the NRL only get good coverage in 2 states

We are told no-one cares for the game in NSW and QLD, so the history of how long the AFL has been there is irrelevant isnt it? :p
The Swans have more members than any other club in NSW and the lions do pretty well in crowds, memberships and I believe tv ratings as well
Who says that noone cares about the game in NSW and QLD? LU posters, the Daily terrograph? For someone that bags them out, you seem to take their opinions very seriously:D

Its not irrelevant. The Swans ratings in Sydney are poor but it'd still be much higher than what the Storm get in Melbourne in their weekly timeslot of around 12 - 2 in the morning(if they are shown at all).

My point was the AFL still have the advantage of getting good FTA coverage in all 5 states while the NRL only get good coverage in 2 states

The Swans have more members than any other club in NSW and the lions do pretty well in crowds, memberships and I believe tv ratings as well
Who says that noone cares about the game in NSW and QLD? LU posters, the Daily terrograph? For someone that bags them out, you seem to take their opinions very seriously:D

nice back down. Again with the 2 states thing. 55% of the population. A lot of regional NSW and QLD do not get AFL games. Swans and Lions are Sat night, hardly ratigns heaven.

Rugby league's State of Origin and Int Tests are heavily promoted in Melbourne and televised live in prime time with no competition. Are you trying to say no-one ever hears of it in Melbourne? The AFL does not have that advantage.

"Who says no-one cares?" - only just about every RL troll on Bigfooty, don't need to go anywhere else. :rolleyes:

I'm trying to remain as unbiased as I can, but I really can't see it. I haven't seen anywhere near as many threads or posts in unrelated threads dedicated to or commenting on the 'code war' as I have on LU. Either the mods are just better here and delete them quickly or I just overlook them 'all.' Furthermore, does league unlimited have a subforum where they put deleted threads where only members can access (I think it's called the figt club)? I often see threads that I was having fun reading deleted within a few minutes of noticing them. Threads such as 'Fumbleball sucks,' etc.
actually the paranoia at LU is getting less the last few months. times past you would go over and there would routinely be 4 or 5 threads about AFL on the first page.

nowadays you dont really get them so much, if at all. outside of the fight club its getting to the same level as NRL threads on the bigfooty front page...they only turn up occasionally and die fairly quickly

actually the paranoia at LU is getting less the last few months. times past you would go over and there would routinely be 4 or 5 threads about AFL on the first page.

nowadays you dont really get them so much, if at all. outside of the fight club its getting to the same level as NRL threads on the bigfooty front page...they only turn up occasionally and die fairly quickly

You're right. Lately I've become disappointed with the improvement of the mods over there and deletion of any AFL related threads. Only 6 months ago it was rife with AFL-hating threads. People actually had signatures reading, 'AFL: the criminal code' etc. :p

It is almost as if the LU forum mirrored the real-life situation in the NRL: unprofessional and a little careless with their decisions. But now the NRL has cracked down on buffoons a little and so have the mods at LU.

@AuckMel
No, I can't remember mentioning the fight club. You could be right though since my memory has been failing me of late. :eek:

Though can someone PM me or something and tell me how to access it or give a link? I need my AFL-hating fix for the month. It's become an addiction. :eek:

you make a good point

I honestly reckon 500mill max for nrl. Especially if 9 somehow get the afl with foxtel

Remove this Banner Ad

FTA-TV AFL easily beats NRL on Friday night

Remove this Banner Ad

Back