FTA-TV AFL easily beats NRL on Friday night

Remove this Banner Ad

nice back down. Again with the 2 states thing. 55% of the population. A lot of regional NSW and QLD do not get AFL games. Swans and Lions are Sat night, hardly ratigns heaven.

7.30PM on a Saturday night is still better than the 12am time slot the storm get in Melbourne though and NRL games are barely shown in SA and WA. C'mon Redb, you cant deny the AFL gets shown in more areas than the NRL. You're delusional if you think otherwise

Rugby league's State of Origin and Int Tests are heavily promoted in Melbourne and televised live in prime time with no competition. Are you trying to say no-one ever hears of it in Melbourne? The AFL does not have that advantage.
Ok so 5 - 10 games of rugby league a year get good coverage in Melbourne vs All Swans and lions games week in week out in NSW and QLD.
Yes the AFL still have the advantage. Like I said above, the swans and lions either get their games live or at worst an hour delay. They are also live on radio as well.

"Who says no-one cares?" - only just about every RL troll on Bigfooty, don't need to go anywhere else. :rolleyes:
Like I said, why do you care so much about what they say?:D

7.30PM on a Saturday night is still better than the 12am time slot the storm get in Melbourne though and NRL games are barely shown in SA and WA. C'mon Redb, you cant deny the AFL gets shown in more areas than the NRL. You're delusional if you think otherwise

Ok so 5 - 10 games of rugby league a year get good coverage in Melbourne vs All Swans and lions games week in week out in NSW and QLD.
Yes the AFL still have the advantage. Like I said above, the swans and lions either get their games live or at worst an hour delay. They are also live on radio as well.

Like I said, why do you care so much about what they say?:D

Why do you care so much about I what I say? ;)

nah, they are going to get a bump, probably to about 120-130m a year

over the 6 years, they should get 750m plus i reckon

if things go really well for them, they will top out at 800m (domestic + NZ)

I have no idea what they'll get, but agree it will probably be more. As has been one of the points discussed in this thread, the NRL have gone out in search of better ratings with two games on Friday Night both live into two markets. They fixture the best TV teams for FNF, etc. Scheduled their GF in a TV friendly timeslot,etc.

I have no idea what the AFL will get either, but I do know the AFL can tweak its scheduling to go down the NRL route. Live games on FNF for example. :thumbsu:

The worry is the AFL go too far down the NRL route and prostitute the whole game for TV , we actually have people who like to go to games at various times and this does not always fit with TV and vice versa.

Why do you care so much about I what I say? ;)

:DI actually thoroughly enjoy a lot of your posts, Redb. They ignite a lot of debate both here and at the roar. You keep things interesting. I dont agree with a lot of what you say though

:DI actually thoroughly enjoy a lot of your posts, Redb. They ignite a lot of debate both here and at the roar. You keep things interesting. I dont agree with a lot of what you say though

Don't agree? How can you not I'm sage in all things football. :p

Do you post on the Roar and under what name so I can avoid you? :D

I honestly reckon 500mill max for nrl. Especially if 9 somehow get the afl with foxtel

They get $500 mil for 6 years now, and with them being determined to do everything humanly possible to get every last dollar out of the next rights, including packaging up each aspect of the game and selling them off seperately, such as SOO, FNF, Super Saturday, Test Matches etc, and with the so-called silver bullet of the Independent Commission, I'm sure they'll get the $120-$130 mil per year as mentioned.

So if they go with a six year deal again I wouldn't be surprised if they got close to $800 mil.

They like to delude themselves that they're going to get $1 billion, but they're very good at doing that.

Just waiting now for the annual "NRL is the most watched code" newspaper beat-up, led by Roy Masters and his mates at the Terrorgraph, once they've added up 24 H & A rounds, finals, SOO, Test Matches, Toyota Cup......about as relevent as the AFL adding up the attendance and TV figures for two GF's this year and then comparing them to the NRL.

I'm going with $750 million they never reach $1 billion as much as they wanted it will never happen. As a Leaguie I be happy with that as it's a substantial improvement from the previous deal. I'm happy that both AFL and NRL tv deals are going to be topped up to the numbers they deserve respectively. Peace

I'm going with $750 million they never reach $1 billion as much as they wanted it will never happen. As a Leaguie I be happy with that as it's a substantial improvement from the previous deal. I'm happy that both AFL and NRL tv deals are going to be topped up to the numbers they deserve respectively. Peace

...and peace be with you my brother.

As one League lark on the Roar once stated: let's just make lots of money and be happy - let everyone else fight for the scraps.

Thanks for the attention. I take a piss you come along and sniff it. :p

The 5 capital city OZtam ratings are used by networks and national advertisers in the main negotiation.

Regionals would get onsold but are not the main focus, certainly not the ratings numbers for the National advertisers and networks. Regionals also double count (GC) and do not include regional WA and SA.

Don't shoot the messenger. there ya go sniff sniff. :rolleyes:

You move from the value of the rights to the national advertisers.

P155 is indeed relevant in your miserably researched claims Red, only in that you smell a little/ too often - can you get your head around the TV industry accepting of lower ratings in ALL sports telecasts since last the rights were negotiated, & thats not just AFL & NRL.

They get $500 mil for 6 years now, and with them being determined to do everything humanly possible to get every last dollar out of the next rights, including packaging up each aspect of the game and selling them off seperately, such as SOO, FNF, Super Saturday, Test Matches etc, and with the so-called silver bullet of the Independent Commission, I'm sure they'll get the $120-$130 mil per year as mentioned.

So if they go with a six year deal again I wouldn't be surprised if they got close to $800 mil.

They like to delude themselves that they're going to get $1 billion, but they're very good at doing that.

Just waiting now for the annual "NRL is the most watched code" newspaper beat-up, led by Roy Masters and his mates at the Terrorgraph, once they've added up 24 H & A rounds, finals, SOO, Test Matches, Toyota Cup......about as relevent as the AFL adding up the attendance and TV figures for two GF's this year and then comparing them to the NRL.

Are you as critical of the AFL offering Fri night footy as a stand alone package given it only rates in Vic, Tas & SA, which is a piddling market compared to Sydney/ Brisbane & the Australias #4 TV market, ie FNF in the NRL.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Are you as critical of the AFL offering Fri night footy as a stand alone package given it only rates in Vic, Tas & SA, which is a piddling market compared to Sydney/ Brisbane & the Australias #4 TV market, ie FNF in the NRL.

Except this hasnt been done. its been mooted, but hasnt ctually been done.

I wasn't being critical of the NRL, they clearly need to create significant new revenues in order to keep players in the game (something that the AFL don't have to worry about) as well as to put into development. I don't think that they have ever shied away from the fact that they are seen to be to a large extent a TV driven sport, the vast majority of matches are played after 5.30pm, and I'm sure if you asked the fans they'd much prefer more matches in the afternoons.

What will be interesting is if they insist on riders relating to minimum coverage standards in non-league states, if they don't they're brain dead IMO.

Given that they were short sighted enough to jettison the Reds and the Rams post-Super League, nothing would surprise me with those idiots.

The AFL have always outwardly proclaimed to be far more interested in maximising attendances, although we all know that their primary interest ultimately is to maximise revenues.

If they can get more money by parcelling up their rights as the NRL will do, great, as long as games are available live or near live in NSW and QLD as they currently are.

I don't understand why people complain about the poor coverage of League into Melbourne and use it as an excuse.

League not being popular in Vic, SA and WA is not because they don't show the NRL on TV. They don't show the NRL on TV because League is not popular.

I don't understand why people complain about the poor coverage of League into Melbourne and use it as an excuse.

League not being popular in Vic, SA and WA is not because they don't show the NRL on TV. They don't show the NRL on TV because League is not popular.

Lol considering this is from a Swans supporter who ratings have being consistently terrible in NSW yet they get live games and the Storm get shafted in there own state. Double standards.

Lol considering this is from a Swans supporter who ratings have being consistently terrible in NSW yet they get live games and the Storm get shafted in there own state. Double standards.

it reflects the negotiating differences between the AFL and NRL. The AFl rights might be worth $750 million, but they take a considerable hit in the cash department by making networks screen local games in all markets at proper times. The NRL couldnt do this being tied to one network and foxtel. Further the NRL is in much need of cash that they may not be able to make the same deals in any case.

Hell even Foxtel designated AFL games HAVE to be screened on FTA in states, if those games feature home state sides. Victoria is the only exception.

it reflects the negotiating differences between the AFL and NRL. The AFl rights might be worth $750 million, but they take a considerable hit in the cash department by making networks screen local games in all markets at proper times. The NRL couldnt do this being tied to one network and foxtel. Further the NRL is in much need of cash that they may not be able to make the same deals in any case.

Hell even Foxtel designated AFL games HAVE to be screened on FTA in states, if those games feature home state sides. Victoria is the only exception.

100% correct it be nice for the NRL to be shown on the secondery channels eg One live or delayed by aleast an hour. Midnight way too long for any sane person to watch a delayed sports match. A least, AFL has main event for the northern states so they can see Friday night footy live no matter who's playing.

For those that want/need to disregard regional TV check out the advertising spend as claimed by the FTA industry. Note, these arent numbers that require interpretation, its where the advertisers spend their money:
http://www.thinktv.com.au/media/Med...ercial_television_networks_-_Jan-Jun_2010.pdf

Confirms NSW regionals after metro Sydney, Melbourne, Brisbane & ahead of Perth, with Adelaide, then Qld regionals.

For those that want/need to disregard regional TV check out the advertising spend as claimed by the FTA industry. Note, these arent numbers that require interpretation, its where the advertisers spend their money:
http://www.thinktv.com.au/media/Med...ercial_television_networks_-_Jan-Jun_2010.pdf

Confirms NSW regionals after metro Sydney, Melbourne, Brisbane & ahead of Perth, with Adelaide, then Qld regionals.

If you are using it in a football sense, and i presume you are, then advertisers in southern NSW would know that the area has a big AFL presence, same as parts of southern QLD, and Cairns etc, so although NSW/QLD obviously have more advertising $$$ spent in their states, it does not mean that is all spent on RL.

By the same token their is a much smaller RL footprint in the southern states.

Round and round we go ........

Phil, the numbers point out the value of the markets.

Applied to the footy codes, NRL dominates in 3 of the 4 largest
markets ($s).

With regional ratings hard to verify compared to national cities, extrapolating those national cities ratings as a comparison of the relative values/audience is little more than self serving guesstimates, generally by AFL ideologues on this thread.

Applied to the footy codes, NRL dominates in 3 of the 4 largest markets ($s).

With regional ratings hard to verify compared to national cities, extrapolating those national cities ratings as a comparison of the relative values/audience is little more than self serving guesstimates, generally by AFL ideologues on this thread.
chardonnay,

what are the four largest markets? One would guess Sydney (NRL), Melbourne (AFL) and Brisbane (NRL) but what is the fourth largest? Given that the Western Reds failed so badly that they disbanded after a mere three seasons, one could hardly see the NRL dominating TV ratings in Perth, and unless they are TV-mad because of the hot climate, Australia’s fifth major population centre in North Queensland could hardly be as big a source of TV revenue as Perth or Adelaide (though NRL would dominate over AFL in the Wet Tropics to a far greater extent than even in the Woollongong to Bundaberg corridor)?

Phil, the numbers point out the value of the markets.

Applied to the footy codes, NRL dominates in 3 of the 4 largest
markets ($s).

Your simplisitic assumptions ignore reality.

The 5 capital city market is the main source of TV rights $ distribution due to the networks footprint. The AFL has a substantial week to week lead in this area.

Regional markets are not included when the TV execs sit around a table (take note AFL $780M, NRL $500M). Nothing much as changed I bet in the profiles of those advertising markets.

Plus the regional advertising market of NSW and QLD is no doubt diverse in its interests compared to AFL's saturation in Vic, WA, SA. RL is big in NSW/QLD, but AFL has higher penetration in its heartlands states in terms of interest. Just look at the respective crowd figures, AFL has double the rusted on followers the NRL has. You dont think local interest would be effected and tehrfore advertisers? rugby union may not be on free to air but it shares the same market at local level.

chardonnay,

what are the four largest markets? One would guess Sydney (NRL), Melbourne (AFL) and Brisbane (NRL) but what is the fourth largest? Given that the Western Reds failed so badly that they disbanded after a mere three seasons, one could hardly see the NRL dominating TV ratings in Perth, and unless they are TV-mad because of the hot climate, Australia’s fifth major population centre in North Queensland could hardly be as big a source of TV revenue as Perth or Adelaide (though NRL would dominate over AFL in the Wet Tropics to a far greater extent than even in the Woollongong to Bundaberg corridor)?

No need to guess, look at the numbers based on the value of advertising dollars*:

1. Metro Sydney
2. Metro Melbourne
3. Metro Brisbane
4. Regional NSW
5. Metro Perth
6. Metro Adelaide
7. Regional Q

How silly would a network be if it ignored the value in regional networks, yet factored in smallers capital city markets? I'll tell you, close to 25%+ of the advertising dollars on FTA TV are spent there.

*http://www.thinktv.com.au/media/Med...ercial_television_networks_-_Jan-Jun_2010.pdf

Remove this Banner Ad

FTA-TV AFL easily beats NRL on Friday night

Remove this Banner Ad

Back