AFL Fans must unite and make a stand

Remove this Banner Ad

Rafa Benitez

Senior List
May 21, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
22 000 tickets out of 100 000 for the two competing sides.

only 1 in every 5 people at the Grand Final will support either side.
Are they serious?? People follow their clubs week in week out for years and years and when they get to the big day their seats are taken by some moron who works at NAB and would like to see a game of football.

Im not complaining because i missed out, i have tickets to the game and i will be there, but it makes me sick.
The AFL is an absolute joke of an organisation and if it continues with its current manner it will lose the people that own the game and thats the supporters.

Fans from all clubs must unite and do something.

Boycott the Footy record??
Boycott the NAB cup??

Maybe you could ask Dmitri to open up Telstra Dome for free and have the game broadcast on the giant screens. I know it's not the same, but you will find the number of people who would want to attend the Grand Final at the MCG would normally number around 200,000 if one of the popular clubs are playing.

Are they serious?? People follow their clubs week in week out for years and years and when they get to the big day their seats are taken by some moron who works at NAB and would like to see a game of football.

Im not complaining because i missed out, i have tickets to the game and i will be there, but it makes me sick.
The AFL is an absolute joke of an organisation and if it continues with its current manner it will lose the people that own the game and thats the supporters.

Boycott the NAB cup??
Totally agree mate. Lets all do a Gangs of New York and attack the rich B!tches.

Boycott the NAB cup??

I agree with you. It's a joke. 50,000 between the two sets of supporters would be more realistic. That still leaves 50,000 for corporate, MCC, AFL members, radio stations who give away two GF tickets if you ring in and tell them why they are so good.

I reckon any message has to come from the clubs. Complain to your club about it whether it is involved in the Grand Final or not.

Maybe you could ask Dmitri to open up Telstra Dome for free and have the game broadcast on the giant screens. I know it's not the same, but you will find the number of people who would want to attend the Grand Final at the MCG would normally number around 200,000 if one of the popular clubs are playing.

your sir are a geeeenius

as well you could have the reserves team on the ground, dramatizing the game (like the dots on the AFL matchday website)...

:thumbsu:

I agree with you. It's a joke. 50,000 between the two sets of supporters would be more realistic. That still leaves 50,000 for corporate, MCC, AFL members, radio stations who give away two GF tickets if you ring in and tell them why they are so good.

I reckon any message has to come from the clubs. Complain to your club about it whether it is involved in the Grand Final or not.

I agree with you Cancat. You can't ignore the corporates entirely, sadly that is just the way it is. However, a more even spread of tickets is probably needed.

Having said that, it is not impossible to get tickets. I mangaged to get tickets to both of the last GFs. It was not easy, but if you are a member and are prepared to makle the effort, it is possible.

I do sympathise with those people who are members and have missed out though.

Yeah it's pretty disgusting.

The AFL is adamant on having the grand final at the MCG regardless of who is in it, which I can accept and is better for the game. But I feel if they truly think that the MCG is the best approach they have to reward interstate fans who are willing to travel. At the very least a 25k/25k split should be standard regardless of who is in the final.

My idea has always been that the two competing team members get first priority, that is ALL members, by the way....then any tickets left unsold, say, by the wednesday, gets offered to the general public....simple!!...Never ceases to amaze me that you can be a member of a club and still miss out on tickets!.. Very very wrong.....The process does not need to be made complicated.....could be done very easily IMO..

My suggestion: if you live in Victoria and can afford it, then buy an AFL Membership (with club support package). It entitles you to 40 games a season (at MCG or TD), finals tickets and (Full Members only) the opportunity to purchase Grand Final tickets.

Yeah, in theory members really should be able to get a ticket if they want it. It's like you pay the membership to see every single game of the season BUT can miss out on the MOST important match of the season.

Each club this year has around 30,000 members, so there could be 60,000. Of course not everyone will go, so maybe cut it down to 50,000. There is still room there for 50,000 corprates, with all club members involved happy as well

My suggestion: if you live in Victoria and can afford it, then buy an AFL Membership (with club support package). It entitles you to 40 games a season (at MCG or TD), finals tickets and (Full Members only) the opportunity to purchase Grand Final tickets.

That makes you part of the problem, not part of a solution.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

i doubt any of the muppets bleating in here that there's not enough tickets for members would be prepared to cough up the $1000 a ticket it would cost if there was no corporate $$ in the game. .

For the sake of comparison...

This is how the FA Cup tickets are being allocated:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/fa_cup/6571255.stm

25,000 to each competing club (total, so includes sponsors and fans) from 90,000.

This is how the Super Bowl tickets are allocated:

17.5% of the tickets to each competing club (I don't know how big the venue is).

http://www.pressboxonline.com/story.cfm?id=1440

University of Pheonix Stadium holds 63,400. So 17.5% of that isn't many really and remember their markets are an order of magnitude bigger than any AFL team.

11095 tickets per team. Not many really and they are at least $2500 per ticket.

That's on the assumption that

a) NO mcc members are passionate cats/port adelaide fans
b) NO FULL AFL members are passionate cats/port adelaide fans

I assure you there will be much more than 22,000 port and geelong fans.

i doubt any of the muppets bleating in here that there's not enough tickets for members would be prepared to cough up the $1000 a ticket it would cost if there was no corporate $$ in the game. .

No one has suggested no corporate.

Why would it cost $1000 a ticket if no corporate? Get real, like they're not making a huge profit at $200 a ticket?

That's on the assumption that

a) NO mcc members are passionate cats/port adelaide fans
b) NO FULL AFL members are passionate cats/port adelaide fans

I assure you there will be much more than 22,000 port and geelong fans.

Very, very well said. There are plenty of assumptions being thrown around every year at this time like that.

Like AFL Members are all "theatre goers". Most AFL Members love the footy as much or more than anyone else and pay for the right to attend a huge number of matches including finals and have the chance to buy a ticket for the Grand Final. I can't see the problem. It's not much different than some club members who upgrade to a level where they are almost guaranteed a GF ticket if their club makes the GF.

I wished I could have gone to a GF years ago that I couldn't get tickets for. Instead of whinging about the mongrel AFL Members I got an AFL membership.

As for MCC Members - it's their ground, they've every right to attend the GF.

This is true. I rejoined in 1988, and am a full member now.

But if anyone wants to get finals tickets some time in the distant future, then join the AFL. No!! I don't know how long it takes before you get to be a member, but the sooner you put your name down, the sooner you get to be a member.

And if you are a footy fanatic and you want to go to as many games as possible, then it does work out quite cheap during the season's games.

Let's face it, no matter how you cut the cake, the MCG can only accomodate just over 90,000 spectators, so some people will always be disappointed.

As I said to my Geelong mate last week, the prelim final v Collingwood will be the best football experience of his life.

Winning a GF is great, but the PF as a whole provides a far better atmosphere.

Preliminary finals >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Grand Finals

No one has suggested no corporate.

Why would it cost $1000 a ticket if no corporate? Get real, like they're not making a huge profit at $200 a ticket?

if there's no corporate seats/paybacks, there's no corporate sponsorship.

no corporate sponsorship means they'd have to get the money back in some other way.

by charging more for tickets for example.

this whinging about tickets happens every year, you could sell the MCG 3 times over & still there'd be people complaining that "the true footy supporters" didn't get a seat.

..just cause someone manages to score a freebie doesn't make them any less of a footy supporter. seems the stereotype being built of the "true footy supporter" on this site is one who lives from week to week on their centrelink payments, washing car windows by day and eating beans for dinner. .

As I said to my Geelong mate last week, the prelim final v Collingwood will be the best football experience of his life.

Winning a GF is great, but the PF as a whole provides a far better atmosphere.

Preliminary finals >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Grand Finals

No way, not if you've been to a winning GF for your team......

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL Fans must unite and make a stand

Remove this Banner Ad

Back