AFL Fans must unite and make a stand

Remove this Banner Ad

No way, not if you've been to a winning GF for your team......

I disagree, and being an Essendon supporter, I know what it feels like to win and lose a prelim and grand final.

While you may prefer a crowd of 20,000 fans of the participating teams, I'll take 90,000+ fans.

Ask any Carlton supporter what was better, the 99 prelim or the 95 granny. I think the 99 prelim wins hand down.

Our 2000 win was good, but we always knew we'd win and win easy.

I didn't feel terrible losing the 2001 GF, the better team won. Losing the 99 PF was heaps worse than losing the 2001 GF.

if there's no corporate seats/paybacks, there's no corporate sponsorship.

no corporate sponsorship means they'd have to get the money back in some other way.

by charging more for tickets for example.

this whinging about tickets happens every year, you could sell the MCG 3 times over & still there'd be people complaining that "the true footy supporters" didn't get a seat.

..just cause someone manages to score a freebie doesn't make them any less of a footy supporter. seems the stereotype being built of the "true footy supporter" on this site is one who lives from week to week on their centrelink payments, washing car windows by day and eating beans for dinner. .

No one has said 'no corporate sponsorship', merely that the ratio seems unfair. The grand final should be predominately about the two teams on the field, and they should be represented more than the 'neutral' supporter in my eyes.

Tell Cutbush he is a fruit for me.

University of Pheonix Stadium holds 63,400. So 17.5% of that isn't many really and remember their markets are an order of magnitude bigger than any AFL team.

11095 tickets per team. Not many really and they are at least $2500 per ticket.

You cant compare AFL to NFL and EPL! One player in those leagues gets payed more than an AFL salary cap thats why tickets are so expensive and AFL are so cheap not because corporates and the MCC are paying for it. Most of the AFL's income comes from TV and why is that? because the average joe watches the game on TV.

MCC members say there wouldnt be a 100,000 seat staium without them but when 25,000 seats are kept for the mcc and 25,000 for AFL members its only really a 50,000 seat stadium for the general public and club members.

that game i went to on friday was amazing atmosphere wise. ive been lucky to go to plenty of big name events and that has topped the cake. also how do you become an afl member? website etc?

Just curious, but would getting a Telstra Dome Axcess One membership give you a better chance of getting a GF ticket than via other means (excluding MCC and AFL Full membership)?

This problem can be 80% solved instantly by either

a) removing the AFL members allocation of finals tickets, and requiring those with a `club support' package to seek tickets through the same club allotment process as season ticket holders, and only allowing AFL members of a non-participant club to buy tickets after all participant-club season ticket holders have declined.

b) completely disbanding AFL membership.

As I said to my Geelong mate last week, the prelim final v Collingwood will be the best football experience of his life.

Winning a GF is great, but the PF as a whole provides a far better atmosphere.

Preliminary finals >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Grand Finals

Agreed mate. Although i have only been to one of the 2 you have mentioned (90 GF, sorry champ but back then there were heaps of supporters from the competing clubs) if i want to run a loud/pressure cooker game on the VCR/DVD at home, the other finals ESPECIALLY a prelim in Melbourne wins hands down over recent granny's.

A step in the right direction would be making any ballot merit-based.

If you just took out Geelong membership this year, you should have no chance at getting a ticket.

If you only went to 4-5 games this year, you too should have no chance at getting a ticket.

The 58% of Geelong members in the ballot that received tickets should be the 58% that have had membership for 3 years or more and went to the majority of games this year. That way, anyone who missed out only have themselves to blame.

You cant compare AFL to NFL and EPL! One player in those leagues gets payed more than an AFL salary cap thats why tickets are so expensive and AFL are so cheap not because corporates and the MCC are paying for it. Most of the AFL's income comes from TV and why is that? because the average joe watches the game on TV.

MCC members say there wouldnt be a 100,000 seat staium without them but when 25,000 seats are kept for the mcc and 25,000 for AFL members its only really a 50,000 seat stadium for the general public and club members.

Wrong

TV revenue is a total of $156M for this year including advertising offsets. So about $120M cash.

The AFL is looking at total revenue for itself and the 16 clubs somewhere north of $600M. So there is $480M out there somewhere.

I'm guessing (at an av of $30 / ticket * 6,500,000) that ticket revenue is approaching $200M for H/A.

So there is at least $200 - $250M out there somewhere. (corporates!!)

As I said to my Geelong mate last week, the prelim final v Collingwood will be the best football experience of his life.

Winning a GF is great, but the PF as a whole provides a far better atmosphere.

Preliminary finals >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Grand Finals

"The people's grand final".

The Bulldogs vs Adelaide (1997); Essendon vs Carlton (1999); Essendon vs Hawthorn (2001); Collingwood vs Geelong (2007) prelims have been classic matches.

This problem can be 80% solved instantly by either

a) removing the AFL members allocation of finals tickets, and requiring those with a `club support' package to seek tickets through the same club allotment process as season ticket holders, and only allowing AFL members of a non-participant club to buy tickets after all participant-club season ticket holders have declined.

b) completely disbanding AFL membership.

Totally agree. AFL membership is for Victorian clubs. Its useless in WA - and im assuming its useless in SA too?

If your an AFL member of a club not in the GF you should not have any rights to a ticket. Most tickets that are scalped nowadays come from AFL members whos team isnt in the GF - but they get a ticket anyways just to make a bit of coin.

Most tickets that are scalped nowadays come from AFL members whos team isnt in the GF - but they get a ticket anyways just to make a bit of coin.

Rubbish, I and many others wouldn't be selling our ticket for fear of getting non-transferable memberships cancelled.

Most scalped tickets are those given to the non-competing clubs - its just the expensive packages they on sell are not called scalping.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

50,000 between the two sets of supporters would be more realistic.

No it wouldn't. So if Melbourne and North end up in the GF with their combined 40000 members there should be 10000 empty seats at the GF?

I think that each team who makes it should get an allocation of 50% of their total membership. This rewards the teams who have strong membership bases and gives everyone a chance to go if their team is in it but also doesn't have empty seats.

22000 is probably a bit low, if you think about it that means for a team like WC that the best case is that 20% of their memebers can go.

22 000 tickets out of 100 000 for the two competing sides.

only 1 in every 5 people at the Grand Final will support either side.
Are they serious?? People follow their clubs week in week out for years and years and when they get to the big day their seats are taken by some moron who works at NAB and would like to see a game of football.

Im not complaining because i missed out, i have tickets to the game and i will be there, but it makes me sick.
The AFL is an absolute joke of an organisation and if it continues with its current manner it will lose the people that own the game and thats the supporters.

Fans from all clubs must unite and do something.

Boycott the Footy record??
Boycott the NAB cup??
The trouble is the AFL does not care about fairness, not to the clubs or the fans-only about cash, especially with Demetriou in charge. You're absolutely right of course and something should change, unfortunately it never will.

No it wouldn't. So if Melbourne and North end up in the GF with their combined 40000 members there should be 10000 empty seats at the GF?

I think that each team who makes it should get an allocation of 50% of their total membership. This rewards the teams who have strong membership bases and gives everyone a chance to go if their team is in it but also doesn't have empty seats.

22000 is probably a bit low, if you think about it that means for a team like WC that the best case is that 20% of their memebers can go.
Thats a really good idea, fair to bpth fans and clubs alike, I'd like to see around 60 or 70% of membership/season ticketholders though.

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL Fans must unite and make a stand

Remove this Banner Ad

Back