• Afternoon

Votes: 273 60.8%
  • Twilight

Votes: 139 31.0%
  • Night

Votes: 37 8.2%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Lol completely agree, if you listened to the average nuffie fan on every decision, the game would be struggling to survive as a suburban competition now. Instead it is thriving as the biggest sport in Australia. It makes me question Dillon's intellect to be honest.

On the news argument above, nationally they just push the news back to 8pm, which they did everywhere for the prelim. The other advantage of a later start, you don't have the match starting in the second biggest footy state of W.A at the crazy time of 12.30pm on a weekend.
and 6:30 AM in Europe :p

Meatloaf at night is still Meatloaf.

I think you're confusing dinner with my suggestion to move the game time.

The artist choices have been highly questionable was my point, as has the reluctance to try a new time slot

Those issues go hand in hand. The whole idea of AFL produced entertainment needs a revamp.

They must get the 50 or 60 something dude's out of artist selection. Or at least find some who will vet an act properly before they inflict them on us.

When they choose a classic rock act, it's like they go out of their way to find people who can't sing anymore.

Last edited:
I think you're confusing dinner with my suggestion to move the game time.

The artist choices have been highly questionable was my point, as has the reluctance to try a new time slot

Those issues go hand in hand. The whole idea of AFL produced entertainment needs a revamp.

They must get the 50 or 60 something dude's out of artist selection. Or at least find some who will vet an act properly before they inflict them on us.

When they choose a classic rock act, it's like they go out of their way to find people who can't sing anymore.

I won't rest until it's Parkway Drive. They put on the greatest show I've ever seen last night.

Love the 2.30 start-that’s my preference. Looks like they’ve decided it’s going to twilight-that’s ok. Don’t want it at 7.30.

Lol completely agree, if you listened to the average nuffie fan on every decision, the game would be struggling to survive as a suburban competition now. Instead it is thriving as the biggest sport in Australia. It makes me question Dillon's intellect to be honest.

On the news argument above, nationally they just push the news back to 8pm, which they did everywhere for the prelim. The other advantage of a later start, you don't have the match starting in the second biggest footy state of W.A at the crazy time of 12.30pm on a weekend.
Us WA people love the 12.30 start.

Head round mates for a bbq, beautiful part of the day, game is done by 3.30-4.00pm and then you can head to the pub and kick on.

A bit like how Friday night footy is perfect for us in the west with a 5.40pm start, game is done just after 8pm.

Us WA people love the 12.30 start.

Head round mates for a bbq, beautiful part of the day, game is done by 3.30-4.00pm and then you can head to the pub and kick on.

A bit like how Friday night footy is perfect for us in the west with a 5.40pm start, game is done just after 8pm.

Are people even home from work at 5.40?

You're projecting your opinion as fact.

I've made plenty of posts in this thread about the flow on affect of changing the Grand Final to a night fixture. You can go back and read them.

One statement I probably haven't made that I feel even stronger about this year is all important WHY question.
Why should we change from tradition, and go against the wishes of 83% of the supporter base just so non-fans in non-traditional AFL states MIGHT be more inclined to turn the TV on and watch it?

The biggest audience to try and capture are the kids.
Guess which timeslot suits the kids better? I'll give you a guess... it ain't night time.
Agree and its not like 30 years ago when there was only 4 or 5 channels you could watch.

Would the typical person from Sydney who has absolutely no interest in football decide to watch the game because its on or will they already be watching Netflix or Stan or any of the 30 other streaming services available.

Agree and its not like 30 years ago when there was only 4 or 5 channels you could watch.

Would the typical person from Sydney who has absolutely no interest in football decide to watch the game because its on or will they already be watching Netflix or Stan or any of the 30 other streaming services available.

There is no doubt that, overall, more people in NSW and QLD will watch a twilight GF over an afternoon one.

As an example, local cricket is on in Brisbane this Saturday.

Obviously the hypothetical person who has "absolutely no interest in football" will not watch it whenever it is on. That's such a nonsense point.

I cannot speak to people's personal viewing habits at home but pretty much every single venue across the city and metropolitan area that plays sport will have it on live and loud.

It's the only day that footy is on live and loud across the most amount of venues, even league leaning ones. It's even on live and loud at leagues/NRL clubs out the west that I've looked at.

As a result, the potential reach is much greater on this particular day.

Hated the 5:15pm start in Perth 3 years ago. Melbourne who were in lockdown had to wait until just after 7pm with the game ending at 10:15pm due to time difference.

A 2:30pm start is the best
One of the longer days I can remember!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

nothing wrong with keeping it the traditional time slot.
It's worked well for all these years...so why change

I cannot speak to people's personal viewing habits at home but pretty much every single venue across the city and metropolitan area that plays sport will have it on live and loud.

It's the only day that footy is on live and loud across the most amount of venues, even league leaning ones. It's even on live and loud at leagues/NRL clubs out the west that I've looked at.

As a result, the potential reach is much greater on this particular day.
So its on at the pub whether its at 2.30 of 4.45pm?

5.30pm start

Have an AFLW game on at 2pm as a curtain raiser

Opening round needs to be the all interstate derby affair seeing Freo and WCE want an extra home game

Round 0
Sydney v GWS Thursday night
Brisbane v Gold Coast Friday night
Adelaide v Port Saturday afternoon
West Coast v Freo Saturday night

5.30pm start

Have an AFLW game on at 2pm as a curtain raiser

Opening round needs to be the all interstate derby affair seeing Freo and WCE want an extra home game

Round 0
Sydney v GWS Thursday night
Brisbane v Gold Coast Friday night
Adelaide v Port Saturday afternoon
West Coast v Freo Saturday night

So lets wreck the crowd with some womens game? How about NO!

Here's an idea, keep it the same, it works and it gives fans and players the ability to celebrate at traditional areas post game.

Only old dinosaurs want 2:30 pm
Get with the times...
Sun in ur eyes, too hot, weird shadows, performer needs lighting/atmosphere etc.

The sun is worse in twilight where you can't see half the game! It is horrid quality at night as the ball is like a cake of soap especially in Melbourne where it can be cold.

Lol caring about performers who really gives a flying about some performer that no one even remembers a month later

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL Grand Final start time - Afternoon, twilight or night

Back