AFL "integrity rule" re Freo and North resting players

Remove this Banner Ad

If Lids has any side affects from that crap tackle he should not play this week.

Yes/no...

He shouldn't play if playing might make him/it worse (or limit recovery), or if the side effects mean he's not as good as his potential replacement.

So, where do we draw the line on resting players?

Crows Reserve team isn't playing finals in the SANFL. Can we rest 22 players, and send the Reserves?

What's the difference (in principle) between resting 11 or 22?

(I've just realised there are not 44 players on a list, not including LTIs, but just bear with me)

The fact that North can avoid a potential trip to Adelaide seems perilously close to violating AFL rules.

Dangerous road the AFL are going down where negative results affect outcomes. Was up to the AFL to take a stance not North they rightly asked permission rather than just sprung it on the comp at the selection table. But AFL really ?

These guys did Ok.

images

Imagine the up roar if some of the Roo ins go the knuckle!!! Time to bring back the biff!!!!

Wow that has got to be some sort of cheating?

With the Dockers i don't see an issue as their position can't change, but with North Melbourne it appears to be a tactic to avoid a team that will beat them

What a joke that the 8th placed team can rest players.
Fair enough top spot can if given the opportunity but why should 8th get this 'advantage'
All the other teams still need to try to win but not 8th and fortunately for them, mediocrity can now be rewarded.
Very unfair to the other clubs inside the 8 who need to play the extra game.

Elite mediocrity.

Brads inventing it. Give him a chance to wear his big boy pants. This meddling is making an otherwise ho hum Richmond fail interesting.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wow that has got to be some sort of cheating?

With the Dockers i don't see an issue as their position can't change, but with North Melbourne it appears to be a tactic to avoid a team that will beat them

Surely it's a grey area. It's a dead rubber to some degree.

It is what it is and I'm looking forward to watching the young players go around.

*crunching Lids and Martin.

Then win or lose they should play Adelaide or the Western Bulldogs then

In all honesty, Richmond finals fragility aside (and Vs North fragility), i would still probably prefer to play the Doggies.

I think as a team we can improve 20-30% with how we played against them last week, making better use of our talls and having amidfield that doesn't get pansted like we did.

If we’re going by the expected results, North Melbourne is either playing Richmond or playing the Bulldogs in Melbourne next week,” AFL spokesman Patrick Keane said on Thursday.

“Really, the only way they end up with a trip to Adelaide is if they beat Richmond by something like 100 points, which you’d have to say is extremely unlikely.”

But North Melbourne would only have to beat the Tigers by a point if the Brisbane Lions upset the Western Bulldogs at the Gabba the next day.

“Again, you would say Brisbane beating the Bulldogs is unlikely,” Keane said.

“From our point of view, when we look at it and go, ‘They’re basically in Melbourne win or lose’. If there was a clear differential that a win sent them to Adelaide and a loss meant they’d stay in Melbourne, that would be a very, very different discussion.

“But having weighed up all those things, along with a football point of view, they’re coming off back-to-back six day breaks.

That's the issue for me. The AFL are creating grey areas regarding the very rules they created on the basis of what will probably happen. Incredible.

Either allow teams to rest players or don't. If it's allowed that one 'best 22' player can be rested, then technically the team's chances of winning are compromised, so it shouldn't matter how many are rested if it is already allowed that even one may be.

In all honesty, Richmond finals fragility aside (and Vs North fragility), i would still probably prefer to play the Doggies.

I think as a team we can improve 20-30% with how we played against them last week, making better use of our talls and having amidfield that doesn't get pansted like we did.
Yes it's obvious from here.

Do you think Brads got shit worked out?

Frustrating.

These guys did Ok.

images

Imagine the up roar if some of the Roo ins go the knuckle!!! Time to bring back the biff!!!!

The only problem, those players have hart.

North are **** sure, believe they are tanking as its right for there club and players. They are basically admitting they are scared to play the crows or sydney. If by some miracle, they do win the EF, that strategy will really help them when they have to go interstate.

Yes it's obvious from here.

Do you think Brads got shit worked out?

Frustrating.

I was pleased Brad took responsibility for not resting players that were clearly flagging in 2012, though it was 3 years late.

But i also heard that he said Wells was 1 week away which really annoys me. Put him on ice for next year FFS.

Overall though, there is no doubt resting players this week is in our best interest, so i will give him credit for that.

This seems like a ridiculous rule in the first place. Do clubs have to submit a medical report when they leave a player out due to injury? What if a club just listed 10 outs with 'flu'? If a team wants to rest players then they should be allowed to. Whether it's wise from a football perspective is a different issue. (For North I'd say it is but for Freo it's a bigger risk).

32 year rebuild? thats nice, how long did it take norf to win a premiership? oh thats right more than 55 years, such a great club gee whiz
#suchagreatclub
#standbyscotty
cough cough OWNED is it? #lolnorf

Yes owned you are, you cooked yourself with your childish first reply....

How many of them AFL premierships you got? Oh no OWNED again, best you trot off for let's say 32 years and sort yourself out.....

#owned
#32andcounting

Hahahahahaha

Yes owned you are, you cooked yourself with your childish first reply....

How many of them AFL premierships you got? Oh no OWNED again, best you trot off for let's say 32 years and sort yourself out.....

#owned
#32andcounting

Hahahahahaha
Cooked? please thats over half your list which is why your tanking this week, you should ask carlton to hand yous the crown nicely as those bully "Big 4" clubs can be very scary :thumbsu:
all VFL/AFL premierships count buddy, so we got 10 try again.

If we’re going by the expected results, North Melbourne is either playing Richmond or playing the Bulldogs in Melbourne next week,” AFL spokesman Patrick Keane said on Thursday.

“Really, the only way they end up with a trip to Adelaide is if they beat Richmond by something like 100 points, which you’d have to say is extremely unlikely.”

But North Melbourne would only have to beat the Tigers by a point if the Brisbane Lions upset the Western Bulldogs at the Gabba the next day.

“Again, you would say Brisbane beating the Bulldogs is unlikely,” Keane said.

“From our point of view, when we look at it and go, ‘They’re basically in Melbourne win or lose’. If there was a clear differential that a win sent them to Adelaide and a loss meant they’d stay in Melbourne, that would be a very, very different discussion.

“But having weighed up all those things, along with a football point of view, they’re coming off back-to-back six day breaks.

That's the issue for me. The AFL are creating grey areas regarding the very rules they created on the basis of what will probably happen. Incredible.

Either allow teams to rest players or don't. If it's allowed that one 'best 22' player can be rested, then technically the team's chances of winning are compromised, so it shouldn't matter how many are rested if it is already allowed that even one may be.
So if the Bulldogs decide to rest players, it becomes a lot more likely, do they have to tell North they're not allowed to rest players any more? :D

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL "integrity rule" re Freo and North resting players

Remove this Banner Ad

Back