AFL "integrity rule" re Freo and North resting players

Remove this Banner Ad

Absolute BS. Anyone can see that they're doing it to avoid a trip to Adelaide because they're shit scared of facing us at home and are doing everything in thier power to make sure it doesn't happen. Stupid decision by the AFL to allow it to happen.

Absolute BS. Anyone can see that they're doing it to avoid a trip to Adelaide because they're shit scared of facing us at home and are doing everything in thier power to make sure it doesn't happen. Stupid decision by the AFL to allow it to happen.

I don't think they are doing this to avoid Adelaide at AO, although they would obviously prefer to play a final in Melbourne. They are managing their players to be fresh for the finals.

I still think they'll be competitive tomorrow night. The guys they bring in will be desperate to hold their spot in the side, whereas there may be a number Richmond players who play conservatively knowing it's all about next week.

Nothing to see here really. Team has nothing to gain and nothing to lose on the eve of finals and rests players. Most if not all teams in our current position would be doing this. Just people finding something to have a whinge about really. We will still be competitive tomorrow night regardless richmond aren't worldbeaters and most of our fringe/depth players aren't hacks.

Is it beyond the realms of logic to suggest we would rather play the Bulldogs at the MCG on a ground neither of us have played at regularly, rather than Richmond at their home ground (MCG) and not our home ground (Etihad) in front of a big opposition crowd? (inb4 lolnorf)

Not sure why it's that hard to understand...
Yes because the Dogs beat you this year while you beat us.

Yeh true, I suppose you "fell asleep" in the 2nd half against Carlton in that final a few years back too? Your mob certainly seems to fall asleep quite often in big matches...
And what was North doing that week?
Also you mean big matches like against the best sides? eg the Hawthorn and Freo game?
Or big games like with big crowds? Like the Collingwood or Essendon game?
Either way we won them all.

Fremantle made sense because they're not in a position to affect their own ladder position. But North is. Only losing guarantees avoiding a trip to Adelaide. I think in situations like this resting should not be allowed.

Under the assumption that the Lions beat the Bulldogs....which taking everything account unlikely....lot of effort for an unlikely outcome wouldn't you say?

between 2008 and 2012, right in the middle of our rebuild - Hardwick became senior coach 2009. WOWEE real great record, that TOTALLY impacts next week
Great ******* post 10/10 :thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu: :fire:

Didn't your rebuild start in 1983?......oh wait along came terry Wallace and his 5 year plan ....

Comical club is comical......

Surely a man with 26,000 posts isn't fit to criticise the creation of a new thread.
Actually, if you had been around for as long as Quivorir, and kept posting at your current rate, you'd have more posts than him

Last edited:
Teams will look out for themselves.

The AFL should look to alter things so there is less of an incentive for teams to want to 'rest' players prior to the finals, one way would be to introduce a week's rest for the higher finishing teams.

Restructure the finals to a final 10, and make them all knock-out.

Teams 1 - 6 have a week off in the first week of finals.
WK1 - Teams 7 - 10 play knock out finals in week1.
WK2 - 1 and 2 play the winner of the WK1 finals, get the biggest advantage...if they lose, they are gone
- 3 plays 6, and 4 plays 5....all have had week off, and advantage goes to the higher teams​
WK3 - the winners play off in PF
WK4 - GF

Then there is no incentive for top teams to 'rest' players....do they want to do what happened to Essendon in 90 and have two weeks without a game?! Doubt it. And a team like the Roos who are in 8th, would be desperate to win to actually get the week off by finishing 6th.

Didn't your rebuild start in 1983?......oh wait along came terry Wallace and his 5 year plan ....

Comical club is comical......
Comical right........*cough* minnow *cough* *cough* Tasmania whoring *cough*
sorry excuse me, excuse me
how many flags does north have? oh thats right 4, hey look thats enough for 1 for each supporter to share good for you guys :thumbsu:

do you people understand? it's not about resting players (well maybe the older players it is) but the key reason why players are being omitted is because there's no point in risking them getting injured if there's nothing to gain by winning. risk v reward rational decision making 101.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's a joke that Freo are getting slammed for resting blokes in a literally pointless game, we can't improve or decrease our position, and Port winning has no effect on the Top 8. We're doing it purely to get our preparation right for our first final, whoever it may be against.

North on the other hand, are basically conceding defeat in a match which has a direct effect on the final 8 positions in order to manufacture a more advantageous result for themselves (guaranteeing they stay in Melbourne).

Which is really worse?

What a joke that the 8th placed team can rest players.
Fair enough top spot can if given the opportunity but why should 8th get this 'advantage'
All the other teams still need to try to win but not 8th and fortunately for them, mediocrity can now be rewarded.
Very unfair to the other clubs inside the 8 who need to play the extra game.

Is it beyond the realms of logic to suggest we would rather play the Bulldogs at the MCG on a ground neither of us have played at regularly, rather than Richmond at their home ground (MCG) and not our home ground (Etihad) in front of a big opposition crowd? (inb4 lolnorf)

Not sure why it's that hard to understand...
So it's only mods that can say Norf?

Comical right........*cough* minnow *cough* *cough* Tasmania whoring *cough*
sorry excuse me, excuse me
how many flags does north have? oh thats right 4, hey look thats enough for 1 for each supporter to share good for you guys :thumbsu:

This isn't the bay mate, so you have completely deflected everything I said in the post because as you know it's true...cough cough OWNED....

Yeh true, I suppose you "fell asleep" in the 2nd half against Carlton in that final a few years back too? Your mob certainly seems to fall asleep quite often in big matches...

Late nights

2 games at the G this year and you got rolled in the 2nd half BY COLLINGWOOD, (for reference we dismantled them to the tune of 91) have fun playing on a real ground, oh wait i forgot. scotty has a cry if it isnt at his pristine conditions of shitihad
View attachment 169097
:thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu:

With the roof closed no less

and yet look at where Essendon are at, they are an entirely different team to us. The last 2 games against us, we lost moreso than you's won - 2014 we went to sleep in the 2nd half, and down in tassie our defence was non-existant (had an off day, it happens) not taking any credit away but both those games should have turned out different

The old "we had an off day" excuse.

You have won 1 more game than us. There is not much between us.

As a Tiger fan, I don't care about this game in isolation and North resting players. Don't have an issue with that. If the week after they come out and run all over us I'll probably be disappointed we didn't rest our own players. It will be interesting to see how the strategy plays out. I still think we should give Deledio, Maric, Martin and one of Rance or Riewoldt a rest this week. If North are planning to rest their best 8 players, we should still win.

If Lids has any side affects from that crap tackle he should not play this week.

What a joke that the 8th placed team can rest players.
Fair enough top spot can if given the opportunity but why should 8th get this 'advantage'
All the other teams still need to try to win but not 8th and fortunately for them, mediocrity can now be rewarded.
Very unfair to the other clubs inside the 8 who need to play the extra game.
Ah last time i checked we are still playing the game :rolleyes:. The younger players will be hungrier than our usual 22 who would know there is nothing to gain and play bruise free. It wouldnt even surprise me if we got up tomorrow night.

do you people understand? it's not about resting players (well maybe the older players it is) but the key reason why players are being omitted is because there's no point in risking them getting injured if there's nothing to gain by winning. risk v reward rational decision making 101.
Part of that is because there is no rest before the finals.

If the top teams were given a week off between H&A and finals, then there would be less incentive to give players a week off...as they get it anyway, and you wouldn't really want your best players not playing any competitive football for 3 weeks.

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL "integrity rule" re Freo and North resting players

Remove this Banner Ad

Back