AFL "integrity rule" re Freo and North resting players

Remove this Banner Ad

Certainly don't think that was ever going to happening but you beating Richmond was a distinct possibility especially at Etihad but if it was at the 'G' then Richmond by plenty (as it will be next week!)
Good night Kirky, get the feeling you've now realised that North Melbourne doesn't exist to serve your franchise side. Sweet dreams and you and all of your Crow loving friends can tomorrow go whine, sook, listen to your irrelevant media doing the same and suck on big stools.

What North is doing is what 99% of professional sporting clubs worldwide would do and that is to give themselves every possible chance to win a game that truly matters. Might not work out but it's what's currently best for us. Would a newly crowned La Liga champion Barcelona risk Messi, Neymar, Iniesta etc etc in a meaningless last round league match if 4 days later they were playing in a champions League final??? Their fans would be outraged if they risked their best players.
Yes it's a bit on the nose what North are doing and everyone is salivating and waiting for them to screw up next week but this isn't playtime at primary school people.
In any case the whole AFL industry is one giant 'integrity' pile of shite nowdays.

It's an unavoidable problem (the North/Adelaide one, there is no problem with what Freo is doing) and instituting a bye doesn't mean manipulating results to avoid travel, or make another team travel, won't still occur.

It was in Freo's best interest to lose to West Coast recently, even if they didn't deliberately do it. There is no reason this situation won't be an issue in round 22 instead of round 23 in the future.

It is a very good reason why we should have a pure fixture though. If you've been given a crap draw already and are then faced with the bad luck of a team throwing a game to screw you even further, it means the juvenile argument of 'you should have just won more games' becomes even more silly.

So what you are saying is that we are resting 9 of our players and going to try and deliberately lose so that just in case Adelaide defeat Geelong, which is no guarantee, and the Lions beat the Dogs, which is very unlikely, we don't have to travel to Adelaide? Sounds far fetched to me. More likely scenario is that we can't move from 8th spot so we may as well rest some players.
Yep, a favourite wins, plus an upset occurs. And amazingly, those two things occur within the same round! Totally far fetched. Plus North Melbourne are perfectly happy to travel to Adelaide to play a final rather than playing one in Melbourne, right? To say otherwise would be far-fetched.

The AFL have applied the correct test, but have just reached the wrong conclusion:
The objective facts and possible combinations of results over the weekend indicate that the club does not have an incentive to lose tomorrow night to manipulate its draw in the finals.

Note that word: "incentive". The likelihood or unlikelihood of the ducks falling into a row, so that winning would hurt the club if it won, is irrelevant. As the AFL says, it's the "possible combinations" of other results that matter, not which results in other games are more likely (making its conclusion all the more bizarre). If a club has an incentive to lose, and then deliberately does something that objectively increases its chances of losing, that damages the integrity of the competition. The AFL are supposed to be running a professional sporting league. They are not supposed to be taking a punt that the league's integrity relies on their amateur tipping skills.

God... Reading this thread is just... F*****d!!! Funny it seems to be the same group of supporters from certain clubs who are against it and are coming up with the most pathetic stupid jelous biased comments i have ever seen. Reading every page like seriously why are you all so worried its not effecting your results its not tanking, we are resting players who need to be rested and no doubt if you were in the position to do it your clubs would too. It may backfire but i honestly dont think it will and maybe thats the reason why there are these reactions in regards to the topic. I for one am just as excited for this game then i have been all year, can not wait. It would be nice to have the luxury of not travelling every second week wouldnt it... Its meant to be the "Australian Football League" but yet interstate teams travel every second week for most of the year. And people on here are crying bullshit about how we are ruining the intergrity of the game, really? What i dont get is some of the west coast supporters on here disagreeing with it. Its laughable.. if you could rest half your team this weekend i think you would but you cant because you are in a position where there is too much to lose if you lost and we'll look at what happened when you got hit with injuries this year all your young guys come in stepped up and impressed.

WE DESERVED IT... And we wont be trying to lose. Infact im so confident in our depth and young guys that we may even win. Guys trying to prove themselves and playing to impress hoping to get a spot in the finals i think its going to be a ripper game. We may lose but im excited.

After next week everyone will have forgotten about it and moved on.

GO FREO. And seriously eat a dik the rest of u who are against it. :rolleyes:

Considering everyone is bending the rules, how about we go and tank to lose by 100+. We would need to go back to kick 100 plus rushed behind causing them a free kick in the goal sqaure. would be hilarious.
Imagine both clubs kicking the same way for a quarter / entire game in protest... Never happen but would draw a line in the sand.

Gotta love the integrity of the AFL and the NMFC on this one... happy to blatantly disrespect the entire comp, other teams, broadcasters, Werribee FC and stakeholders of the game to manipulate a home final... all the while also letting a bloke just go about his business while facing multiple serious sexual assault charges... great integrity there NMFC.

You complain about Friday nights (we invented them) yet so no respect when given the opportunity. Good luck with your chances for next year or Good Friday game... yeah you have earnt it!

I remember a time where the entire comp was up in arms when Essendon couldnt field a team for the NAB cup through extreme circumstances... Yet nothing to see here, no issues of integrity lets move on.

Will be a classic when they lose this week and next and are out in straight set.

NMFC Disgrace.... AFL Integrity Dept Disgrace again...
BWAHAHAHA!

As an Essendon supporter and one who has constantly defended your club for injecting players with God knows you've become the ultimate hypocrite to accuse another team of disrespecting the entire comp.

And the comments about the player are seriously below the belt.

You really don't have any integrity at all.

This is your 15th post in this thread within an hour. But please, continue on with how irrelevant we are. :$
Hmmmmm relevance.... NMFC in the finals and *Essendon languishing on the bottom of the ladder with half their team still facing doping charges.

Yep I'll take playing finals thank you very much!

One of the funniest things about this is that one month ago, the AFL and Channel 7 decided that Richmond v North would most likely be the game of the round and would probably be a mini-final for both teams. But instead, we get a farcical match between Richmond and the North 2nds, which will be be nothing more than a meaningless prelude to the real contest we'll see one week later.

The curse of Friday night football in 2015 continues….

They also said it would be unfair for hawthorn to get an extra days rest on teams above it on the ladder THAT IT HADNT EARNED. even though it means hawthorn also have to travel over to perth. Yrt its OK for North to minimise its chances of having to traval ans give half its players an extra seven days rest, a situation only possible due to the good forwtune the team below them cannot overtake them. Certainly not earned. Nine players seven days rest is a lot more than 22 players one day rest

Put another way, on the day the afl said resting players within games is to be limited (interchange cap) they said unlimited resting between games is OK.

If clubs have less chance to rest star players within games, I wonder what will happen.

Say hello to a season cap on selection changes, with exemptions where a players misses two consecutive games with injury, but not for supensions

(Log in to remove this ad.)

RE tanking, I think the draft order should not include counting the last few games of the season. Only a very poor team would be in a position to start tanking before the last 5 or so games and they would need the picks anyway. That way we can do away with the oppressive integrity rule altogether.
They'll just tank earlier

I'm looking again at the ladder and I'm still missing what the fuss is. No matter who North selected this week, there was no chance of overtaking either Dogs or Tigers given North's terrible percentage, so they realistically can't move out of eighth spot. What happens to the Crows, on the other hand, just depends on whether they win a very gettable game against Geelong or not. That's not in any other club's power or responsibility.

And on the headlines - when does the scale of selection changes become worthy of an inquiry? Five changes isn't that unusual. Lots of teams have done that with no comment at all. Do clubs need to check before making six changes? Eight? Nine? Is there an objective measure of how important the players are who go out, and how good their replacements are? Or is the extent of the "downgrade" just a guess by commentators?

It's a joke that Freo are getting slammed for resting blokes in a literally pointless game, we can't improve or decrease our position, and Port winning has no effect on the Top 8. We're doing it purely to get our preparation right for our first final, whoever it may be against.

North on the other hand, are basically conceding defeat in a match which has a direct effect on the final 8 positions in order to manufacture a more advantageous result for themselves (guaranteeing they stay in Melbourne).

Which is really worse?
So we are not really resting sore players to freshen then up for finals? We are also not giving 9 kids a go to try and earn a spot in a final? Ok....

If anything, North resting players this week could be considered match-fixing as they have more to gain by losing than actually winning. They're trying to alter the course of the first week of finals. And I can see why the AFL aren't having a go at them:

Depending on results, the entire first week of finals could be played interstate given we are currently looking at 2 QFs in Perth, possibility of an EF in Sydney and an EF in Adelaide. And, if Freo and WCE both lose, guess what, no finals in Melbourne or anywhere else until the PFs and the GF.
The Lions have to beat the dogs for the crows to get a home final. Have you seen the dogs or lions play footy?

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL "integrity rule" re Freo and North resting players

Remove this Banner Ad

Back