AFL, Is it the Greatest Sport in the World

Remove this Banner Ad

This version of the thread isn't getting as much attention as the other one, so I thought I would even it out some ...

Does any other game have such massive changes in momentum? The team that was dominating starts going defensive and into their shell, and the other team suddenly "grows another leg" and completely overruns them. It's all mental. That's what produces such incredible games as Carlton v Essendon 99 Prelim, or Adelaide v Dogs in 97 when the Crows overran them in the last. Pretty sure it doesn't happen in Soccer because it's so fn hard to score - there's hardly even a midfield battle.

Arguably the greatest sport to play. Very enjoyable, if you don't mind a bit of contact.

Greatest spectator sport? Got my doubts

Having introduced many an overseas visitor to the game, I would say from experience, that the most common response is one of confusion and annoyance and often boredom.

In the vast majority of games,the game is decided well before the final siren. For followers of other sports used to having a game decided at the final whistle, this is a bit of a turnoff. A lot of the intensity goes out of the games often as early as the third quarter. For a few overseas friends, who disliked AFL, they actually really enjoyed the grand final because it was a contest/close, notwithstanding the poor skills on show for much of the day.

The other problem is the amount of fumbling and poor skills on display. Almost all other sports place a premium on retaining possession and penalise errors/fumbles. This makes it very annoying for a lot of soccer/rugby followers who see it as a game of 'knock ons'.

For many new observers I have found that they get confused at the strategy of simply bombing the ball into the forward line - they see no strategy, think its a stupid thing to do (which it is).

Arguably the greatest sport to play. Very enjoyable, if you don't mind a bit of contact.

Greatest spectator sport? Got my doubts

Having introduced many an overseas visitor to the game, I would say from experience, that the most common response is one of confusion and annoyance and often boredom.

In the vast majority of games,the game is decided well before the final siren. For followers of other sports used to having a game decided at the final whistle, this is a bit of a turnoff. A lot of the intensity goes out of the games often as early as the third quarter. For a few overseas friends, who disliked AFL, they actually really enjoyed the grand final because it was a contest/close, notwithstanding the poor skills on show for much of the day.

The other problem is the amount of fumbling and poor skills on display. Almost all other sports place a premium on retaining possession and penalise errors/fumbles. This makes it very annoying for a lot of soccer/rugby followers who see it as a game of 'knock ons'.

For many new observers I have found that they get confused at the strategy of simply bombing the ball into the forward line - they see no strategy, think its a stupid thing to do (which it is).

Have you ever watched a soccer game a lot of the passes go straight to the opposition, it doesnt mean soccer players have poor skills. I doubt many people watch a sport for the first time without understanding the rules really like it.

I believe that footy is the best sport in the world.
Atheletes are definitely the best, athletically speaking.
It's the funnest to play when you can actually have a game of it.

However, Aussie rules will NEVER compete with soccer in terms of popularity.. you can play soccer with 2 people and a random ball shaped object.
Sure you can play kick to kick or markers up.. but its not the same. Setting up a game of footy is way too hard for it to become hugely popular.

But at club level up, it's easily my favorite sport to play.

Hands Down!...This coming from a Yank (turned Aussie) who chose her university based on football alone (University of Tennessee). Since moving permanently to Australia, though, I have joined the footy obsession that is AFL. AFL requires much more skill and athleticism than the football in the USA...so much so it has made USA football laughable for me. I still do barrack for my old Alma Mater, though...Go Vols! When it comes to footy, though, the Aussies win this debate!

Wow such devotion.....are you married:confused:

It's a good sport, but it isn't 'complete' yet. The game needs more tweaking before it will become appealing to international audiences, so it's very popular in Australia, yeah but a long way off being the greatest sport until some of the more arbitrary rules are thrown out.

aussie rules > soccer > rugby union > american football > soccer > rugby union > aussie rules > american football > rugby union . . . . .

:rolleyes:

as on the other/parallel thread...i misread the threads title..and have to say that i'm not trying to say that AFL is THE best sport in the world (thats up to personal taste)...i am saying its a very popular and growing code internationally..and if people like a sport or a game you cant stop that...to compare it to soccer or rugby is simply inviting trouble i realise from those passionate about those codes..besides those codes are already internationally established...but its interesting how AFL is taking off compared to say american football...i forgot to mention in last post..its also in south africa and the pacific isles.

i know which code i prefer for sheer all round speed, endurance, athleticism and pack crashing excitement.......................

someone mentioned theyd hate to see 'their' game become international..kinda heads in the sand attitude..youd still have vfl,safl,wafl etc..and AFL, then some kind of international AFL, be it a hybrid or not, the future will tell..and you cant stop that.

Wow such devotion.....are you married:confused:

HaHa! Yes, I'm married and a BIG BIG Carton fan. Sorry to let you down.:p Married an Aussie who showed me the game that is AFL...I've been hooked ever since...after it took me a few years to figure it out. Ha! :footy:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's a good sport, but it isn't 'complete' yet. The game needs more tweaking before it will become appealing to international audiences, so it's very popular in Australia, yeah but a long way off being the greatest sport until some of the more arbitrary rules are thrown out.
Must agree with you on this one...(as a born American) I can totally see now how Americans just don't "get it" with many Aussie things. It took me awhile to figure out the game because I was so used to the strict rules of American football. That adds to the excitement, though. It has frustrated me, though, when games have been lost based on all the "grey areas" present in the rules.

Must agree with you on this one...(as a born American) I can totally see now how Americans just don't "get it" with many Aussie things. It took me awhile to figure out the game because I was so used to the strict rules of American football. That adds to the excitement, though. It has frustrated me, though, when games have been lost based on all the "grey areas" present in the rules.

I remember showing an American friend the sport and after watching a half he turned to me and asked "So how come they can't even touch another guys back, but they can jump up on another guys shouldrs and ram their knee into their spine"

Uhhh...

Obviously to us the speccy is a spectacle of the game that we want to retain, but things like that just confuse people new to the sport. There is a reason that Soccer, and extremely simple, basic game has been embraced worldwide while NFL, a far more complex sport is yet to make any significant inroad anywhere but the US despite exporting pretty much every other facet of it's culture across the globe. I enjoy watching NFL myself, but I understand the complexity and extreme rules lawyering turns a lot of people off it.

So the answer if the AFL wants Australian Rules to become a game played world wide, which I'd love to see because it's a fantastic sport that deserves to be enjoyed in other countries, then it's got to be simplified a lot more than it is now with some of the vagaries, that frustrate even the hardcore Aussie supporters, removed.

Well you're right up to a point, but that's not to say other sports don't have arcane rules that alienate outsiders.

Seeing as you brought up soccer, look at the endless arguments over penalty decisions or offside calls - especially since the "interfering with play" distinction was brought in. Hell, there's even some rule about objects on the pitch that no-one knew about til this weekend.

And long may it continue. If you didn't have arguments about the rules, well, then sports forums wouldn't exist. And I'd have to actually do some work for a change.

In a word ... yes.

Why? has everything good from other sports rolled into our sport.

GAELIC handball - we have it
RUGBY TACKLEs - we have it
SOCCER GOALS - we have it
HIGH MARKS you see and love in RUGBY and SOCCER GOAL KEEPERS - we have it better and moreso
KICKINGAN OVAL BALL RUGBY - we have it
BALL UPS BASKETBALL - we have it
BASKETBALL ZONING, ATTCKING SET UPS - we have it
100m sprints of OLYMPICS - we have it

What we dont have>?? Stop start BS of NFL, Gayness of soccer, boriness of no scorings of soccer. NO OFFSIDE LIMITATIONS of ALL those sports.

We dont have cricket whoch is just great!!

AFL easily the best.

Anyone who thinks soccer is more skillful is kidding themselves. It's simple an afl player can kick a soccer ball but a soccer player can not kick a football.

No, Our rules are not clear and decise, there is alot of room for interpretation and it is no way near fair. It is however a fast paced spectical and one sport that if you are into is terrific to follow. It was once a game for all shapes and sizes, however now, like the world itself, it has been Monoplised and is now about the revenue. Amature Football is by far more entertaining than the Elite level.

If you are looking for the best sports in the world, see American Football, Soccer, Tennis, Ping Pong, Badmington.

None are the spectical Aussie Rules are, But have clear and decise rules.

i dont even like soccer particularly..but to say that anyone can kick a soccer ball is just plain stupid bias...there is a LOT of skill in soccer and footing the ball etc..and lots of skills in other codes, just different ..

No, our athletes may be the best "endurancely speaking" but have you seen NBA games? Do you know who Lebron James is?
Its not just endurance, i meant best overall athletically speaking; jumping, speed, strength, agility, dexterity.
Obviously they aren't the strongest, or fastest, or best at jumping. Would be close to the fittest though.
Just saying it takes the widest skill set to play.
(I'm not really good with the terminology in this area haha)

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL, Is it the Greatest Sport in the World

Remove this Banner Ad

Back