AFL knock back Gaza humanitarian aid advertising at Adelaide Oval

Remove this Banner Ad

Nov 28, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
LIVFC
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-08-06/afl-knocks-back-political-gaza-advertisements/5652030

The AFL has refused to run a series of advertisements at Adelaide Oval that call for donations to World Vision for humanitarian aid to Gaza.

Adelaide businessman Daniel Milky offered to pay for the advertising, which would have run at the Adelaide Crows' next three home matches.

The advertisements were approved by Crows management, but knocked back by the league on the grounds they were political in nature.

So.... allowing the ARMY RESERVE to use the AFL product to advertise encouraging young men and women to enlist into the armed service is totally fine, according to the AFL, yet humanitarian aid to a war torn country is 'political in nature' -

I'm not even a real fan of World Vision as I have many issues with the way they function, but still...

Soft as shit, AFL - Hypocrisy at it's highest and totally gutless -

no disrespect but seriously, they have been killing each other for centuries so why start with this petty world vision when most of it goes into the organizations back pockets anyways?
We are best sticking to local affairs as opposed to getting involved with countries that will remain uncivilized for all eternity.

no disrespect but seriously, they have been killing each other for centuries so why start with this petty world vision when most of it goes into the organizations back pockets anyways?
We are best sticking to local affairs as opposed to get involved with countries that will remain uncivilized for all eternity.

I totally agree with your sentiment, and like I said in the OP, I'm not neccessarily a fan of World Vision -

However, the AFL is not allowing the advertisements to air because of their 'political nature', which is bullshit when you consider the heavy endorsement of the army reserve --

If it was to send aid to North or South Sudan, it wouldn't have been knocked back, even though the conflict there is just as complicated as Israel and Palestine.

Politics have no place in football. The AFL would lose the Jewish audience anyway

This.

Sorry, but there are two sides to this conflict, and people being killed on both sides here.

Right call from the AFL, this isn't the right place to be getting political.

I totally agree with your sentiment, and like I said in the OP, I'm not neccessarily a fan of World Vision -

However, the AFL is not allowing the advertisements to air because of their 'political nature', which is bullshit when you consider the heavy endorsement of the army reserve --

If it was to send aid to North or South Sudan, it wouldn't have been knocked back, even though the conflict there is just as complicated as Israel and Palestine.

Who are the Army reserve fighting??

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The point is to not offend anyone. By even being asked to advertise the AFL was in trouble - if they knock it back they're pro-Israel, if they run it they're pro-Hamas. I'm tipping that the AFL simply wishes that World Vision hadn't made the offer.

Not sure what this has to do with the Army Reserves

World Vision should be also asking for money to repair the peoples houses in Israel etx. as well and then it wouldn't have been an issue

Gil says no !

8phsVAZl.jpg

Running the ad would piss a whole bunch of people off. The AFL doesn't want that.

Considering Mike Carlton's disgraceful treatment by Fairfax over his Pro-Palestinian articles and responding to trolls on twitter, not surprised the AFL took this 'soft option' instead of doing what is morally right.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-08-06/afl-knocks-back-political-gaza-advertisements/5652030

So.... allowing the ARMY RESERVE to use the AFL product to advertise encouraging young men and women to enlist into the armed service is totally fine, according to the AFL, yet humanitarian aid to a war torn country is 'political in nature' -

I'm not even a real fan of World Vision as I have many issues with the way they function, but still...

Soft as shit, AFL - Hypocrisy at it's highest and totally gutless -
Have your say by all means - but no need to be attacking either the Army or its reserves, neither of whom are political organisations

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL knock back Gaza humanitarian aid advertising at Adelaide Oval

Remove this Banner Ad

Back